Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Anytime any monster has an effect to equip itself to a card on the field, it is implied that it is treated as an Equip Spell Card while equipped. They used to (and I'm not sure if they still do or not) actually write out "as an Equip Spell Card" in the effect, but that might have fallen out of practice due to it being clearer, but a bit redundant.

Question:

I'm pretty sure you can do this, but I just wanted to confirm:

If I control a Symphonic Warrior, Basses is in my Graveyard, and I have no cards in my hand, am I allowed to Banish Basses from my Grave to increase the level of that monster by 0, or is that considered paying cost for no effect or something? It should be noted that for some reason, both the target and the level increase are COSTS. the clause after the semi colon simply states "this increase lasts until the end of this turn"

No. Anytime any monster has an effect to equip itself to a card on the field, it is implied that it is treated as an Equip Spell Card while equipped. They used to (and I'm not sure if they still do or not) actually write out "as an Equip Spell Card" in the effect, but that might have fallen out of practice due to it being clearer, but a bit redundant.

Question:

I'm pretty sure you can do this, but I just wanted to confirm:

If I control a Symphonic Warrior, Basses is in my Graveyard, and I have no cards in my hand, am I allowed to Banish Basses from my Grave to increase the level of that monster by 0, or is that considered paying cost for no effect or something? It should be noted that for some reason, both the target and the level increase are COSTS. the clause after the semi colon simply states "this increase lasts until the end of this turn"

Basses was printed back in Storm of Ragnarok, which pre-dates PSCT (which came out in GENF, the first of the Zexal era). The semi-colon there is not accurate to how card text is currently written.

Banishing is the cost, increasing the level by the cards in hand occurs at resolution (because it depends on the number of cards when it resolves).

If you have no cards in hand, you cannot activate the effect, because at that point of activation, you have no cards in hand to resolve the effect.

nice and all (captain obvious), but i said "When it activates", not "while equipped"

As long as it's not physically equipped it will count as a monster.

It is considered the effect of a Monster being activated, so things like Divine Wrath or Evolzar Dolkka can negate the activations.

kinda figured. i was playing against Six Sams and.. yeah.. funking Shi-en and Shogun combo.

Are you absolutely positive about Basses evilfusion?

I just keep staring at the effect: 

"You can remove from play this card from your Graveyard to select 1 face-up "Symphonic Warrior" monster you control and increase its Level by the number of cards in your hand; this increase lasts until the End Phase."

And asking why that increase can't be 0.  I mean Broken Bamboo Sword boosts by 0, so why can't this?  I mean this has no real use besides setting up a Scizzors revival without boosting a level if you can't boos said level for your play to operate correctly, but I just want to be absolutely positive.

There is no (min 1) restriction, and it's a boost not a change (aka it won't make something level 0), so I unfortunately fail to see what would cause the effect not to be able to resolve.

Does boosting by 0 clash with some already established inherent ruling I am unaware of?

Are you absolutely positive about Basses evilfusion?

I just keep staring at the effect: 

"You can remove from play this card from your Graveyard to select 1 face-up "Symphonic Warrior" monster you control and increase its Level by the number of cards in your hand; this increase lasts until the End Phase."

And asking why that increase can't be 0.  I mean Broken Bamboo Sword boosts by 0, so why can't this?  I mean this has no real use besides setting up a Scizzors revival without boosting a level if you can't boos said level for your play to operate correctly, but I just want to be absolutely positive.

There is no (min 1) restriction, and it's a boost not a change (aka it won't make something level 0), so I unfortunately fail to see what would cause the effect not to be able to resolve.

Does boosting by 0 clash with some already established inherent ruling I am unaware of?

Yes. I'm positive. I looked up the card on Wiki, and it shows the set number as STOR. Storm of Ragnarok. It's a 5Ds era card predating PSCT. I checked the rulings, and its banishing is the cost.

The difference between Basses and Broken Bamboo is that Bamboo is an Equip Card, so you can activate it because equipping it to a monster is a change in the game state. It's just an Equip Card that happens to increase ATK by 0.

Cards like Basses alter by a variable amount based, in this case, on cards in hand. You can't activate effects that are going to do nothing at resolution if allowed to resolve as-is. You must have a minimum of 1 card in hand to activate Basses, but if something chains to remove the card in hand before it resolves, Basses will do nothing. But at the time of activation, the game state checks to make sure activating the effect is expected to actually do something in order to be a legal activation.

If Basses was an Equip Card that increased Level by 1 x cards in hand, you could activate it with 0 (other) cards in hand because it equips. But if it was a Normal Spell (or an Ignition Effect like it is), you cannot, because it won't do anything on resolution.

EDIT: Wiki does have an OCG ruling explicitly saying you can't use the Graveyard effect if you have no cards in hand.

Yes. I'm positive. I looked up the card on Wiki, and it shows the set number as STOR. Storm of Ragnarok. It's a 5Ds era card predating PSCT. I checked the rulings, and its banishing is the cost.

The difference between Basses and Broken Bamboo is that Bamboo is an Equip Card, so you can activate it because equipping it to a monster is a change in the game state. It's just an Equip Card that happens to increase ATK by 0.

Cards like Basses alter by a variable amount based, in this case, on cards in hand. You can't activate effects that are going to do nothing at resolution if allowed to resolve as-is. You must have a minimum of 1 card in hand to activate Basses, but if something chains to remove the card in hand before it resolves, Basses will do nothing. But at the time of activation, the game state checks to make sure activating the effect is expected to actually do something in order to be a legal activation.

If Basses was an Equip Card that increased Level by 1 x cards in hand, you could activate it with 0 (other) cards in hand because it equips. But if it was a Normal Spell (or an Ignition Effect like it is), you cannot, because it won't do anything on resolution.

EDIT: Wiki does have an OCG ruling explicitly saying you can't use the Graveyard effect if you have no cards in hand.

Thank you for explaining it out for me.  I guess that makes sense when you put it that way.

If Call of the Haunted is chained to MST reviving a Satellarknight in the [whichever of the two formats allows it to activate in the first place in this situation], it will be negated by Soul Drain because it is activating in the Graveyard, right?

Uhm what, activating in the Graveyard? Who told you something like that? Anyway, if you Chain CotH to MST, the Tellarknight will never activate since it was never on the field to activate. It certainly never activates in the Graveyard, cards cannot change where they normally activate because of something like that ever.

If Call of the Haunted is chained to MST reviving a Satellarknight in the [whichever of the two formats allows it to activate in the first place in this situation], it will be negated by Soul Drain because it is activating in the Graveyard, right?

The card changing location doesn't change where an effect triggers, activates, and resolves (which are all the same place, always). In Europe and the OCG, the effect of the Satellarknight monster will activate on the field.

In territories under KDE-US jurisdiction, the effect will not activate at all. We are all praying that this will finally be corrected at YCS Toronto or YCS Dallas since a North American judge is the HJ of this year's Worlds event, though given how long this has been going on for I wouldn't set your hopes up too high.

The card changing location doesn't change where an effect triggers, activates, and resolves (which are all the same place, always). In Europe and the OCG, the effect of the Satellarknight monster will activate on the field.

In territories under KDE-US jurisdiction, the effect will not activate at all. We are all praying that this will finally be corrected at YCS Toronto or YCS Dallas since a North American judge is the HJ of this year's Worlds event, though given how long this has been going on for I wouldn't set your hopes up too high.

If only this game used human logic instead of Konami logic.

Thanks anyway.

if a pendulum monster is equipped to a monster like by effect of relinquished, and is destroyed while equipped

where it will go? extra or graveyard

It would go the Extra Deck. Pendulum cards sent from the Field to the Graveyard will always go to the Extra Deck. If it wasn't treated as being on the Field (activation/summon negated or an Overlay Unit), it will go to the Graveyard.

Does Simochi and that monster Reficule stack? If my opponent activates Gift Card while both Reficule and Simochi are face-up do I take 3k from Reficule and another 3k from Simochi? It wouldn't right? It's only 1 gift card and they are both continuous. Something in that area right? Lol

Archived