Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yubel-Ultimate Nightmare and El Shaddoll Construct battle. Yubel will destroy Construct at the start of the battle step, but does Construct destroy Yubel or does the damage step never happen?

Construct's effect will destroy Yubel at the start of the Damage Step. Yubel's effect would normally Trigger at the end of the Damage Step.

The Damage Step did happen, but Yubel was killed by Construct's effect at the start of it (and no Damage Calculation took place). Since Yubel is dead, its effect that would activate at the END of the Damage Step will not activate.

Construct's effect will destroy Yubel at the start of the Damage Step. Yubel's effect would normally Trigger at the end of the Damage Step.

The Damage Step did happen, but Yubel was killed by Construct's effect at the start of it (and no Damage Calculation took place). Since Yubel is dead, its effect that would activate at the END of the Damage Step will not activate.

Sorry, I thought Ultimate Nightmare said "At the start of the battle step".

Can i activate Message in a Bottle even if my LP are below 4000?

I assume yes, because its just worded same as Soul Charge, which can make suicidal plays, but im still not sure.

Yes, you can. It's not "paying" LP, so you don't need to have that amount or more when you activate it. As a result, you can end up killing yourself during the End Phase.

in a YGOPro based program, I had this duel underway:

My field consisted of Number 81, and my opponent summoned Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier. Number 81 had a material and no other relevant card effects were present. On Trishula's summon, I had planned to chain Number 81 (had the A key held), yet the program did not prompt me for a chain and let the banishment effect through as if 81 had missed timing. Now, I have never had any problems with on-summon effects in the past. Is there a ruling I'm not aware of regarding Trishula's effect, because this seems like a glitch to me.

in a YGOPro based program, I had this duel underway:

My field consisted of Number 81, and my opponent summoned Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier. Number 81 had a material and no other relevant card effects were present. On Trishula's summon, I had planned to chain Number 81 (had the A key held), yet the program did not prompt me for a chain and let the banishment effect through as if 81 had missed timing. Now, I have never had any problems with on-summon effects in the past. Is there a ruling I'm not aware of regarding Trishula's effect, because this seems like a glitch to me.

Sounds like a glitch/you dun goofed, most likely the latter though, I always hated how you had to do that on YGOPro. On the Summon, Trishula would activate its Trigger Effect, then Number 81 would be able to activate its Quick Effect in response.

I control a Kaiju and Remove Brainwashing. If I then Tribute an opponent's monster to summon a Kaiju to their side of the Field, would it then switch control to me and be destroyed/sent to Graveyard due to the "you can only control 1 "Kaiju" thing"?

Yes. Remove Brainwashing would switch control because you're the owner, and because 2 Kaiju cannot exist simultaneously on your Field, the newest one would be destroyed, the same as Malefics and Earthbound Immortals.

If I control Anti-Spell Fragrance, that stops my opponent from setting up pendulum scales, correct?

Correct, activating a Pendulum Monster as a Pendulum Scale is like activating a Spell Card. This means that you cannot activate them at all. Furthermore, Pendulum Scales cannot be Set, so you can't Set them in there either.

If a spirit monster is Veiler'd, does it still bounce at the end phase? Can't find anything more recent than 2 years old on it.

Go through priority rules. Turn player (the one with the spirit monster here) can choose to activate/apply his effects here. If not, non turn player can choose to activate/apply an effect. If not, turn player now MUST apply a mandatory effect if he has one.

Go through priority rules. Turn player (the one with the spirit monster here) can choose to activate/apply his effects here. If not, non turn player can choose to activate/apply an effect. If not, turn player now MUST apply a mandatory effect if he has one.

*does not understand*

I thought priority was an old thing that was gone? Or are there different kinds of priority?

*does not understand*

I thought priority was an old thing that was gone? Or are there different kinds of priority?

The priority you're thinking of was the ability of players to activate Ignition Effects immediately upon Summoning monsters, before the opponent could respond to the Summon with things that didn't negate the Summon (such as Torrential or Bottomless). This priority is gone.

But there still is the concept of players activating effects during specific phases, when the activation window is open (meaning, not in response to an action). For example, whether a player wants to activate a card or effect during the Standby Phase. The turn player would have first "right" to activate one, and if they don't want to activate one, the opponent is passed priority to activate/resolve their effect(s).

The same sort of priority does exist for responses as well. Turn player can Summon a monster and then activate their Torrential Tribute as Link 1 in response to their own Summon. But Ignition Effects can no longer do this.

Archived