Pocket Monsters: Sun & Moon

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't assume Brock and Misty have been slacking off and not training their 'mons properly. Even if they have type advantage, Litten is still fairly on the weak side in power (and M-Steelix is a tank). Pikachu, MAYBE.

(Remind me if Pikachu beat Lysandre's Mega Gyarados, because I don't recall him doing that)

Litten v. Mega Steelix

252+ Atk Litten Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Steelix-Mega: 60-72 (20.6 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 Atk Steelix-Mega Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Litten: 161-190 (69.6 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Pikachu v. Mega Gyarados

252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 303-357 (143.6 - 169.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Pikachu Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 254-300 (76.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

OK, Pikachu does have some degree of denting Gyarados severely, but yeah. Litten still cannot do much (since Ash cannot perform the Fire Z-move). Rowlet literally only knows Leafage, so yeah, don't expect it to put in the work. Lycanroc might do okay, but still has a low power base move to work with otherwise.

(Then again, anime doesn't care about what Showdown thinks, so...)

Don't assume Brock and Misty have been slacking off and not training their 'mons properly. Even if they have type advantage, Litten is still fairly on the weak side in power (and M-Steelix is a tank). Pikachu, MAYBE.

(Remind me if Pikachu beat Lysandre's Mega Gyarados, because I don't recall him doing that)

Litten v. Mega Steelix

Pikachu v. Mega Gyarados

OK, Pikachu does have some degree of denting Gyarados severely, but yeah. Litten still cannot do much (since Ash cannot perform the Fire Z-move). Rowlet literally only knows Leafage, so yeah, don't expect it to put in the work. Lycanroc might do okay, but still has a low power base move to work with otherwise.

(Then again, anime doesn't care about what Showdown thinks, so...)

You're right. It took Ash and Alain's entire teams just to take that thing down. And Rowlet is a lazy fart. Why Ash even has it we may not know. It could evolve into Dartrix and eventually Decidueye, if Ash was battling at night, when Rowlet is more active. And Lycanroc's rock vs. Steelix's Steel is a bad matchup. Then again anime physics has that rare occasion where it rears it's ugly head.

And what if he decides to visit the other six gyms? Will he meet Janine, will Ash see Gary again as Viridian's new gym leader?

Even if it stops being lazy, the only moves it knows are low powered (Tackle, Peck and Leafage) and only latter has any chance of dealing NEUTRAL damage (albeit pitiful).

So yeah, hi Smogon calculator and damage specs. Let's assume that everything is neutral nature and stuff; also leaving at level 100 for best results [not like Ash's teams are even halfway there, save maybe Kalos or something].

Rowlett attacks with Z-move Leafage.

252 Atk Rowlet Bloom Doom (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Steelix-Mega: 37-45 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
Possible damage amounts: (37, 37, 39, 39, 39, 40, 40, 40, 40, 42, 42, 42, 43, 43, 43, 45)

252 Atk Rowlet Bloom Doom (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix-Mega: 46-55 (12.9 - 15.5%) -- possible 7HKO
Possible damage amounts: (46, 46, 48, 48, 48, 49, 49, 51, 51, 51, 52, 52, 52, 54, 54, 55)

I won't bother with its other moves because they're 1/2 effective, not STAB and certainly aren't busting open a 230 base Defense 'mon anytime soon. This is being generous and giving Rowlet full power in its Attack.

Mega Steelix attacks with Iron Tail

252 Atk Steelix-Mega Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rowlet: 256-303 (92.4 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (256, 259, 262, 265, 268, 271, 274, 277, 280, 283, 286, 289, 292, 295, 298, 303)

0 Atk Steelix-Mega Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rowlet: 253-298 (91.3 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (253, 256, 259, 262, 265, 268, 271, 274, 277, 280, 283, 286, 289, 292, 295, 298)

(Yeah, Rowlett's either getting OHKO'd or critically injured either way.)

Lycanroc may do okay, but going against Misty is a BAD idea; well, Steelix too (and I do not think it'll learn Fire Fang or Brick Break anytime soon, because those would help). 

====

But agreed on likely only being those two gyms; as much as we'd like to go back down memory lane to Gen 1, the writers probably want to advance Ash's Alola journey and make him do all the trials and stuff. 

I shouldn't be bringing up the Showdown calculator for this, however yeah, it shows how much the odds are stacked against Ash once he battles.

It appears we'll see a shiny charjabug in the next episode (from what I've seen on the right-hand sidebar on Serebii)

I shouldn't be bringing up the Showdown calculator for this, however yeah, it shows how much the odds are stacked against Ash once he battles.

Ofc we should remember that the anime doesn't care what Showdown thinks and that moves can seem stronger than they are in-game anyway.

EDIT: trailer for the Kanto episodes;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjxHVcsDZc

So the main things to take away is that the Alola cast will tag along to study regional variants and Team Rocket tagging along as well (can we please not have Bewear appear in these 2 episodes, kthx)

And Brock doing his thing and Misty dragging him away like the old days (sorry Croagunk, you're chopped liver)

Oh and Jigglypuff returns too! (probs with a new VA)

I do now think it'll be Kiawe that'll fight Brock, whilst Ash fights Misty.

When has the anime not followed the game mechanics; well, bar the random "Pikachu can somehow electrocute GROUND Pokemon" in the early seasons. But yeah, even without the calculator, it doesn't look good for Ash (and eventually does end up as Pokemon anime logic). 

[explains why Ash has a larger loss record than most of us]

Hopefully, no Bewear because it's going to be literal bullshit if it springs all the way from Alola just to save them. If Kiawe does fight Brock, then he at least has a good chance.

===

Also because anime site failed to put up the episodes again, I have to watch on Youtube. (No Dailymotion either, unless NAS got stupid again and C/D'd.)

[spoiler=SM040]

• Lana wants to learn the Water Z-move and effectively gets good at it in the end.
  • Probably something along the lines of "TR tried to cut Dhelmise with a chainsaw, Meowth somehow convinced it to attack Ash and friends and stuff happened."
  • Realization when Ash or either girl cannot do sheet (well, until Lana proposes using the Z-move to counter Whirlpool). I'll leave the COTDs out because yeah, Dhelmise fainted Brionne earlier. 
  • Bewear does anime physics and saves TR (or breaks them out of submarine in several meters of water; idk).
  • Another missed opportunity for Ash to get a new 'mon; or either of them for the most part (and it's technically rare too).

I haven't looked at Bulbapedia's thoughts yet.

It appears we'll see a shiny charjabug in the next episode (from what I've seen on the right-hand sidebar on Serebii)

Ofc we should remember that the anime doesn't care what Showdown thinks and that moves can seem stronger than they are in-game anyway.

EDIT: trailer for the Kanto episodes;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjxHVcsDZc

So the main things to take away is that the Alola cast will tag along to study regional variants and Team Rocket tagging along as well (can we please not have Bewear appear in these 2 episodes, kthx)

And Brock doing his thing and Misty dragging him away like the old days (sorry Croagunk, you're chopped liver)

Oh and Jigglypuff returns too! (probs with a new VA)

I do now think it'll be Kiawe that'll fight Brock, whilst Ash fights Misty.

Well, we've Seen Bewear run on water, so two possibilities: One, When they Blast Off, Bewear catches them and jumps so high it flies into outer space to bring them back to Alola, or two, when Team Rocket returns from Kanto, Bewear will be seen waiting for them at the airport with a glowing red aura. The former probably makes more sense.

Also because anime site​s failed to put up the episodes again, I have to watch on Youtube. (No Dailymotion either, unless NAS got stupid again and C/D'd.)

The fact that anime sites haven't uploaded the episode two weeks running is absolute bullshit. If I have to watch the episode on YT, I'll have separate tabs open for the opening, ending and next episode preview as those are things that are omitted from YT uploads of episodes. (Pretty much why I refuse to watch Pokémon episodes on YT tbph, it's never the "full" version that they label it as)

EDIT: nvm what I just said; I found the episode on one anime site. 

EDIT 2:

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM040]

- Popplio certainly liked that Brionne. The interactions between the two was nice to see. I can defo see Popplio evolving at some point as a result.

- Judging from the boat, I reckon the treasure hunter duo are from Seafolk Village (or at least moor their boat there from time to time).

- Team Rocket somehow convinced the Dhelmise to attack the boat (or distract it so they can nab the treasure themselves), however their Bruxish sub got caught up in the whirlpool created via dhelmise's anger and had to be saved by Mr Illogical (Bewear). Uhh... way to go I guess

- At least Lana was able to master the Z-Move, and get more development along the way (and props for having the idea of countering Whirlpool with the Z-Move).

- Dhelmise with the underwater blast off lel, and it seemed happy with carrying the remains of the Brusxish sub, which was somewhat amusing.

EDIT 3: So for some reason, this episode (SM040) has already been subbed, yet the others are not. Weird.

Well, we've ​seen Bewear run on water, so two possibilities: One, When they ​blast ​off, Bewear catches them and jumps so high it flies into outer space to bring them back to Alola, or two, when Team Rocket returns from Kanto, Bewear will be seen waiting for them at the airport with a glowing red aura. The former probably makes more sense.

I don't want the Bewear gag to happen in Kanto personally. What happens in Alola, stays in Alola I say. (I'm not the only one who doesn't want the Bewear gag to happen in Kanto either) What I see happening is Team Rocket "somehow" giving Bewear enough food to last the duration of the Kanto trip, that or Bewear is snoozing the whole time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 4 (Thursday 7th): With this week's filler out of the way, bring on Kanto next week. (Hopefully the episode won't take an eternity to be uploaded like last week)

To be fair, her OG look is more iconic

Also;

Unfortunately, the film’s original soundtrack will be replaced with dub music — TPCi’s composer, Ed Goldfarb, has confirmed on Twitter he will be composing the music for the English version of the film. Most of the original soundtrack’s music was remixed versions of music you heard from the TV show 20 years ago, so unfortunately the film will lose a lot of its nostalgia. It’s unfortunate TPCi decided to skimp on the music once again.

Can I just watch the subbed version already? (Not like it'll matter since I never saw the subbed Kanto series or a bulk of the generation overall)

But yeah, it took them forever just to add the recent episodes and I've had to resort to YT. Oh heck, they FINALLY subbed the Gladion and Pokemon baseball episodes. Speaking of this week.

[spoiler=SM041]

• Sophocles/Charjabug actually got development; whoo,
  • Team Meteor acting like jackasses with their shiny Charjabug; think they caused a few crashes too.
    • Ash and friends beat them good.
  • Smart idea for Ash to use his back to push over the rocks, also use String Shot to avoid slipping on ice.
  • TR resorts to cheating again; idk what happened in the middle, but yeah, Meowth got ejected. 
  • Snowball freezes the boys; uh, wrong time for that.
  • MooMoo Milk promo episode. 

Now time for some Gen 1 throwbacks.

Finally got around to watching le episode, though I didn't think it'd get subbed this fast.

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM041]
- We learned Sophocoles' Charjabug has a Mild Nature (Which is a first for the anime, mentioning a pokémon's nature) and it certainly helped with leg two.
- So whilst the boys were fiddling around with their "toys" (Mallow saying boys sure love that kind of thing, and she's not wrong) the girls bugger off for a spot of tea.
- Ofc there'd be a team of cocky nitwits, in this case flaunting their shiny, Timid nature Charjabug, and quite frankly, they deserved to lose after undermining Sophocoles.
- Team Rocket getting disqualified is no surprise, though I'm sure they're eventually gonna run out of elaborate ideas for Mr Illogical to "save" TR. (Though the look on the doorman's face was priceless)
- I will say, Ash passing out as a result of his recklessness caused quite a stir on the Serebii forums with someone arguing it was done to make Ash the centre of slapstick, and quite frankly I would disagree as what he done made him look heroic.
- Though there was quite a bit of innovation from Sophocoles' team, between Ash being a bridge to Charjabug's String Shot to help with grip on the ice, and it felt appropriate having Sophocoles cross the line with Charjabug.

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM042]
- Lillie's Vulpix wasn't feeling well, at least Brock was on hand to give it a checkup
- Jessie breaks the fourth wall by pushing away the thought balloon containing Matori
- Even though I watched the RAW, I know Professor Oak recited Pokemon poetry
- Ash is as reckless as ever, letting himself getting pwned by his Tauros
- This is the first time we get to see a pokedex entry for Rapidash in the series (despite it appearing since the original series)
- Mallow almost found out the hard way not to get too close to a Vileplume
- Kanto Exeggutor feeling intimidated by Alolan Exeggutor was somewhat amusing
- I thought the interractions from the Alola cast with the different pokemon at Oak's lab was well executed imo
- Though I was disappointed by the little amount of Ash's old pokemon seen (Muk, Bulbasaur, Tauros, Squirtle, Corphish and Totodile)
- Kiawe couldn't bear to see a Dugtrio without a wig, so decided to put a wig on it. That part was amusing, and also showed proof of continuity as he still had the wig he got 19 episodes ago
- Throwback to Bulbasaur being a mediator to the arguing grass-types
- Random Squirtle Squad cameo is random. What they were doing there is beyond me
- Misty conveniently had a swimsuit (similar to her FRLG one) to dive in the water with Lana (with a Corphish and Totodile cameo to boot)
- Way to go Marowak, Onix almost let the boys off the hook (though Kiawe sending out Turtonator was a questionable idea)
- Lycanroc learned Accelrock off-screen it seems
- Bulbasaur's reaction to Mimikyu was priceless
- The only negative thing about the episode for me is Bewear. I would've liked to see Team Rocket blast off like old times, but nooo, Bewear just happened to drop out of a conveniently placed plane to take them back to Alola (In my opinion shouldn't have appeared. Ofc, if I said that on the Serebii forums, I'd have my ass chewed out)
- Whilst the Alolan girls were gushing over Jigglypuff, Ash, Brock and Misty were right to be weary due to their encounters throughout the original series (and in Ash and Brock's case, one encounter in Hoenn), at least they saw the funny side afterwards
- Random Mew is random
- I will re-watch the episode subbed to see what Delia said to embarrass Ash (among other things, like what Misty said about her sisters in the PokeProblem segment at the end)
- Looks like Cerulean gym got a redesign to the point that it's unrecognisable

​- Also, where the funk was Tracey? We had the entire episode at Oak's lab and he didn't appear whatsoever

[spoiler Really?]

How the FART did Bewear get in the mech?

[spoiler=The real question is...]

How the funk did Jigglypuff get in there?

[spoiler=SM042]

• Oh hello Gen 1 memories (and partial pieces of Johto [Totodile] and Hoenn [Corphish]).
    • Also Ash's 30 Tauros, Muk and some other stuff.
  • Alolan counterparts doing things with their original counterparts.
  • Lack of Ash's other Kanto 'mons (and even the rest of them) is disappointing, but meh. Where the hell was Ash's Charizard?
  • Team Rocket uses their old motto this episode; at least they didn't forget about older viewers.
  • Can I just say "funk Bewear, it should've stayed in Alola and not ruin a perfectly good blast off scene"
  • Marowak butting heads with each other; well, I expected Kiawe's one but not Brock's (presumably).
  • Snowball/Shiron meets regular Ninetales.
  • Mimikyu scares the sheet out of Bulbasaur; welp.
  • Where the hell is Tracy?
  • Mew cameo is cameo.
  • Jigglypuff's back (well Alola kids, you have much to learn)
  • Cerulean got a revamp.

[spoiler=The real question is...]

How the funk did Jigglypuff get in there?

[spoiler=hell if we know]

Probably hid itself inside the machine, but then again, when has its appearances ever made sense. 

And now I know how JP Jigglypuff sounded like; well, sort of.

====

Don't worry, someone else on Serebii mentioned Bewear's appearance making no sense; rest of them apparently didn't care too much or said "meh, whatever".

Probably hid itself inside the machine, but then again, when has its appearances ever made sense. 

====

Don't worry, someone else on Serebii mentioned Bewear's appearance making no sense; rest of them apparently didn't care too much or said "meh, whatever".

[spoiler=Response]

You are aware my question was rhetorical, right?

But yeah, how Jigglypuff got there is something that'll never be explained.

--

As for the Marowak thing you addressed, pretty sure it belonged to someone else and Brock was using it for the comparison thing.

[spoiler=SM042]

• Oh hello Gen 1 memories (and partial pieces of Johto [Totodile] and Hoenn [Corphish]).
    • Also Ash's 30 Tauros, Muk and some other stuff.
  • Alolan counterparts doing things with their original counterparts.
  • Lack of Ash's other Kanto 'mons (and even the rest of them) is disappointing, but meh. Where the hell was Ash's Charizard?
  • Team Rocket uses their old motto this episode; at least they didn't forget about older viewers.
  • Can I just say "funk Bewear, it should've stayed in Alola and not ruin a perfectly good blast off scene"
  • Marowak butting heads with each other; well, I expected Kiawe's one but not Brock's (presumably).
  • Snowball/Shiron meets regular Ninetales.
  • Mimikyu scares the sheet out of Bulbasaur; welp.
  • Where the hell is Tracy?
  • Mew cameo is cameo.
  • Jigglypuff's back (well Alola kids, you have much to learn)
  • Cerulean got a revamp.

====

[spoiler My Guess]

Ash's Charizard might be back in Charicific Valley.

I think it's safe to assume Charizard was elsewhere at Oak's

[spoiler=Sub thoughts on SM042]
- When Ash heard they'd be going to Kanto, he wasn't very enthusiastic at first and was like "aww, just Kanto". It also transpired that Brock and Misty were guests to show the Alola peeps gym battles.
- So the reason Team Rocket went to Kanto was because they had been called to a meeting at HQ by Matori and James assumed they'd be getting a lecture. Although, with Bewear rocketing Team Rocket back to Alola, there is absolutely no excuse they can make to get themselves out of a bigger bollocking they'll receive for not attending the meeting they were called to at HQ, and Matori will look down on Jessie even more than she already does a result. (It's as if Bewear exists to ruin TR's reputation with Giovanni, regressing it back to what it was originally)
- Apparently Team Rocket recited their original motto it seems.
- So Delia suggested to Kiawe about looking in Ash's room to see how messy it is, embarrassing Ash.
- Rotomdex mentions that it was missing data on one Kanto 'mon, which is implied to be Mew.
- In the post credits scene Ash learns that Forrest is the new Pewter gym leader (Oh yeah, technically Ash didn't know about this), whilst Misty mentions that her sisters buggered off on another trip, which saddened Brock knowing they aren't at the gym.

Archived