Pocket Monsters: Sun & Moon

I believe that they're intending for it to be an unsolved mystery for eternities.

EDIT

[spoiler=Prelim thoughts on episode (based on info we know already)]

Given the gang will be back on MeleMele in a couple of episodes (case in point; the Mallow episode taking place at the cafe), Ash beating Olivia is to be... expected.

Also, given how angry Rockruff looked in the preview from last week, it can be assumed that it must be close to evolving seeing as its pokedex entry says that it gets rougher as it grows up.

Also

[spoiler=Next week]

When I checked Serebii earlier, I saw a pic from the preview showing Type:Null appearing next episode alongside Gladion.

[spoiler about that...]

But which of the two forms will it be? Also, in about 20 episodes or so,the gang will take a trip to the Aether Foundation.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler about that...]

But which of the two forms will it be? Also, in about 20 episodes or so,the gang will take a trip to the Aether Foundation.

[spoiler=Response]

There have been talks of a possible 3rd form lately, in addition to a new "mystery" product from Bandai Kids (anime-related) that'll be revealed next week. Also we don't know how long it'll be before we get to the Aether Foundation. I don't think it'll be that soon imo.

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM036]

- We see Rockruff going through an aggressive phase, biting Ash. Of course from pokedex entries that when a Rockruff does this, it's close to evolving, a fact that is confirmed by Olivia towards the end of the episode.

- Way to ruin the atmosphere Sophocoles

- I do like that the arena is close to the Ruins of Life, which coincides with where Olivia is fought in the game.

- Olivia uses a Probopass, so like Hala, she is using a 'mon that is on her roster during the elite four matches

- Probopass' use of Stealth Rock in this fight is rather interesting as it normally damages mons that come out, but this is a 2-on-2 double battle so in theory it shouldn't do a thing, but the writers decided to something different with it.

- I didn't think Continental Crush would miss due to the teamwork of Rowlet/Rockruff dodging it at the last second, and on the subject of Z-Moves, I'm not too surprised Bloom Doom was the finisher given the emphasis of Lycanroc vs Rockruff from last week's preview.

- In a first for double battles, we see a pokemon knock out its partner, but Rockruff did feel bad for knocking out Rowlet given it can't control its aggressiveness.

- Of course Ash won the battle, and given the upcoming episode titles, I wasn't surprised that this was the case. 

[spoiler=SM036]

• Ash won his trial; figures.
  • Rockruff got way more aggressive and bit Ash and caused Rowlet to faint due to Bite. Kind of a jabroni move, but least it knew what it did was terrible and couldn't be helped.
    • That, and it's close to evolving so that dex entry actually mattered.
  • Not convinced that Ash could escape a Z-move of that magnitude simply by flying away.
  • Least the arena parallels where Olivia is fought in-game, so...

[spoiler=future stuff]

• Still don't know what form Rockruff will evolve into; there's the Midday form which Olivia has, Midnight which Gladion does and a likely 3rd. Probably latter, but we'll have to see.
  • Apparently Tapu Lele has something for the other Pokes.
  • Type: Null actually appearing; cool.
  • Not really fond of returning to Melemele, but...they're in school so...
  • Sophocles is still partially useless at this time; has not battled properly, only caught 1 Pokemon (he only has Charjabug because Ash thought he was legitimately moving away, but was just a few houses down.)
    • Going to be a good while before the Electrium Z trial, or whatever shows up. This may be the time he gets a Z-ring because Ash already has the crystal from Tapu Koko.
  • Aether Paradise is a long way coming.

[spoiler=future stuff]

• Sophocles is still partially useless at this time; has not battled properly, only caught 1 Pokemon (he only has Charjabug because Ash thought he was legitimately moving away, but was just a few houses down.)

Speaking of... new title

Episode 984: Dash, Charjabug! (September 7th)

It features Ash & co. deciding to use Charjabug to help enter a car race, but Sophocle's Charjabug doesn't seem to make the car go fast

EDIT:

DGgMQYhVoAE1EIi.jpg

Dusk form Lycanroc has been revealed and it is confirmed that this is what Ash's Rockruff will evolve into, in the upcoming episode

Lycanroc-Form-Anime-346x200.jpg.pagespee

It would fit into the day phases thing, but yeah, how it's going to turn out is unknown if it ever exists. But yeah, nice to know Ash is getting this one (now hopefully it retains Midday speed, because Midnight's speed tier is meh). I'll redirect stuff pertaining to its usability to the Sun/Moon game threads. 

But as for the new episode, likely doesn't have enough power as a battery / is dead battery. We'll see. 

It would fit into the day phases thing, but yeah, how it's going to turn out is unknown if it ever exists. But yeah, nice to know Ash is getting this one (now hopefully it retains Midday speed, because Midnight's speed tier is meh). I'll redirect stuff pertaining to its usability to the Sun/Moon game threads. 

But as for the new episode, likely doesn't have enough power as a battery / is dead battery. We'll see. 

Guess they'll have to resort to the waterwheel method used in season 1 episode 5, also known as Showdown in Pewter City.

So Fathom Events, the company running the theatrical release of the upcoming movie, I Choose You, on November 5th and 6th have opened up tickets for a limited number of venues across the United States. Further showings of the movie around the globe have yet to be announced.

List of US screenings are up on Serebii.

To be fair, it's done practically funk all so far, so it'll hopefully be a good development episode for it/Sophocoles.

And once again, we get the short end of the stick here (as in movie premieres and stuff will never come over to Hawai'i, despite Alola being based on it). 

It is a preliminary list as Fathom Events have now confirmed that this list will be updated in time with new theaters.

Ofc, I'm gonna wait for it to come out on dvd as I know it there won't be a screening near me (and I don't see it airing on TV for a good while, if it ever does).

To be fair, a lot of movie events and stuff never come over here, likely the company in question (not necessarily this one) doesn't want to travel 2,000+ miles across the Pacific and fanbase is smaller.

But either way, not bothered as I'll just watch it on DVD or watch the Japanese version on the anime site if available.

At this point, I really don't care who voices whom in the dub as I don't watch it (bar for the movies). 

Yeah, I think the subbers are either slow as crap nowadays (either issues pertaining to subbing them and not crossing the line with NAS) or they stopped caring. I mean, I am teaching self Japanese from NHK so I can watch it in the meantime, but going to be a while before I can proficiently understand the entirety of it without needing to read any JP transcripts underneath, which would be of some help.

Maybe, but I doubt Yuya's va would do the voice of an... then again the Yu's all sound the same...

Yuya's VA wouldn't feel right for Gladion anyway. Then again, I'm not really fussed who voices him in the tbph as long as it doesn't make him sound like dog sheet. (Although I won't find out for like 3+ months anyway)

EDIT (Thursday):

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM037]

- Wow, Tapu Lele is cruel af, then again that coincides with its pokedex entry in Sun, so there's that. Randomly attacking Rockruff, in addition to the two Lycanrocs who went out of their way to protect Rockruff.

- K, so Gladion keeps his Type:Null in a Premier Ball (Hacker! You can't have Type:Null in those)... as well as on the downlow

- Blah blah blah, Rockruff evolves into event-only dusk form, blah

- With the Akala arc over, everyone heads back to MeleMele

- Oh, and the ending has been edited to include Lycanroc

And yet we're still waiting for the subbers to get going with that episode. 

[spoiler=SM037]

• Rockruff gets trashed by Tapu Lele; well, you are fighting against a protector deity so what do you expect to happen? (You were watching your trainer fight against Tapu Koko, right?)
  • Gladion has a Type: Null like he does in-game; well, that works.
  • Tapu Lele proves to live up to its Pokedex entry in Sun, but then its Moon entry shows when it healed Rockruff (so make it tough enough to evolve).
  • Something "Ash gets event Lycanroc", whatever. 
  • Back to Melemele for [x] number of episodes before Ash even heads off to `Ula`ula for the other stuff (so...Electrium Z [err, might be Sophocles since Ash already got one], Ghostium Z [with Acerola/whoever replaces her] and then Darknium Z against Nanu)
    • I would've liked an Aether Foundation arc by now.

[spoiler=Response]

In an illegal ball for it though.

[spoiler=Response]

True, and I don't think that'll change for Ultra Sun/Moon (least it being a post-Champion gift if any).

As for it evolving, I want to say it'll evolve sometime before Ash challenges the E4 or whatever happens, but we are a long way from that happening right now; considering Ash just finished the trials on this island and other episodes are either TR-related or developing the other characters in a slice-of-life thing. 

[spoiler=Response]

True, and I don't think that'll change for Ultra Sun/Moon (least it being a post-Champion gift if any).

As for it evolving, I want to say it'll evolve sometime before Ash challenges the E4 or whatever happens, but we are a long way from that happening right now; considering Ash just finished the trials on this island and other episodes are either TR-related or developing the other characters in a slice-of-life thing. 

[spoiler=Response]

It could evolve during the UB arc (if there is one), I mean when it evolves doesn't have to mirror the games, does it? (Given the source material has essentially been flushed down the potty anyway)

[spoiler next episode]

Mallow doesn't get drunk...on coconut milk.

[spoiler=Response]

I don't think she was drunk. I reckon it was more of a "whatchu talking about" look if you ask me.

Yes I did watch the preview on YT as someone on the Serebii forums uploaded it. Still waiting for the actual episode to be uploaded.

Also, it wasn't even coconut milk. At the very end of the preview, (the 10 second bit where sponsors are displayed on screen), we see the liquid, and it looks like juice.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM038]

- So the first few attempts of Continental Crush fail (before eventually succeeding). Kukui presumably mentions that Lycanroc needed to get used to its new strength (given it evolved last episode).

- Mimikyu did show some emotion throughout the episode and even stepped in to protect Jessie from the Murkrow. Though the battle at the end could've been better had Mimikyu actually attacked Lycanroc instead of going for Pikachu (definitely a low point there)

- Wow, Team Rocket were shocked that Bewear didn't save them when they were sent packing in the beginning? Just wow.

- The Steenee/Popplio scene was adorable though to be fair. Fun shenanigans are always nice to see

- Also RIP base, the den is back to how it used to be

All in all, the episode wasn't one of the best in the world tbph.

[spoiler=Response]

I don't think she was drunk. I reckon it was more of a "whatchu talking about" look if you ask me.

Yes I did watch the preview on YT as someone on the Serebii forums uploaded it. Still waiting for the actual episode to be uploaded.

Also, it wasn't even coconut milk. At the very end of the preview, (the 10 second bit where sponsors are displayed on screen), we see the liquid, and it looks like honey.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM038]

- So the first few attempts of Continental Crush fail (before eventually succeeding). Kukui presumably mentions that Lycanroc needed to get used to its new strength (given it evolved last episode).

- Mimikyu did show some emotion throughout the episode and even stepped in to protect Jessie from the Murkrow. Though the battle at the end could've been better had Mimikyu actually attacked Lycanroc instead of going for Pikachu (definitely a low point there)

- Wow, Team Rocket were shocked that Bewear didn't save them when they were sent packing in the beginning? Just wow.

- The Steenee/Popplio scene was adorable though to be fair. Fun shenanigans are always nice to see

- Also RIP base, the den is back to how it used to be

All in all, the episode wasn't one of the best in the world tbph.

[spoiler no!]

It'll take months for them to get the materials necessary to rebuild their base.

Archived