Pocket Monsters: Sun & Moon

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM032]
- I liked that each of the Stoutlands had a different personalities, for example Ash's being rather affectionate, though I thought the bit when Ash was reminiscing about the other Stoutland only for the ride one to remove his trousers was quite amusing, especially factoring Mallow's horrified face.
- The wide variety of items found was interesting; Ash finding Shards, Mallow finding food items/berries, Kiawe finding fossils. At least the fossils that Kiawe obtained are able to be obtained in SM without transfer
- It was amusing to see Ash get hit in the face by the pokeball that he tried to catch Alola Geodude with, when it whacked it back with Thunderpunch.
- For an episode that was supposed to focus on Lana (ending in her getting a Sparkling Stone so she can get a Z-Ring), there was quite a bit of focus on Lillie and her development resulting in her being able to eventually mount Stoutland (with encouragement from Kukui/Olivia)

[spoiler=SM032]

• I knew there was going to be a flashback to the Stoutland that took care of Litten; also yeah, Ash got his pants taken off (ha ha)
  • Lana found a Z-ring, so yeah, probably next episode is her getting the Waterium Z. 
  • It took the whole episode for Lillie to ride Stoutland (or get on it).
  • Ash fails at catching an Alolan-Geodude. (So Ash, explain why the hell you didn't keep another Pokemon on hand except Pikachu; Rowlet would've been of some help, if it weren't sleeping all day.)
    • Brock is disappointed with you.
  • Let's see what everyone got:
    • Ash found some shards (oh good, can we get more of them because that old man wants 30 of them for a Bottle Cap smh)
    • Mallow gets berries / Mushrooms (well, I wouldn't be surprised)
    • Lana got a Z-ring.
    • Kiawe got fossils; cool.
    • I have no clue what Sophocles got, but apparently Comet Shard or something.

[spoiler=SM032]

• I knew there was going to be a flashback to the Stoutland that took care of Litten; also yeah, Ash got his pants taken off (ha ha)
  • Lana found a Z-ring, so yeah, probably next episode is her getting the Waterium Z. 
  • It took the whole episode for Lillie to ride Stoutland (or get on it).
  • Ash fails at catching an Alolan-Geodude. (So Ash, explain why the hell you didn't keep another Pokemon on hand except Pikachu; Rowlet would've been of some help, if it weren't sleeping all day.)
    • Brock is disappointed with you.
  • Let's see what everyone got:
    • Ash found some shards (oh good, can we get more of them because that old man wants 30 of them for a Bottle Cap smh)
    • Mallow gets berries / Mushrooms (well, I wouldn't be surprised)
    • Lana got a Z-ring.
    • Kiawe got fossils; cool.
    • I have no clue what Sophocles got, but apparently Comet Shard or something.

Haven't seen that since Abra and the Psychic Showdown.

Meanwhile, new episode title;

Episode 977: A Fire Battle! Marowak Shows Up! (July 20th)

So unsurprisingly there is a week break for the movie, and this episode features Ash and co participate in one of Akala Island's festivals. But when they attempt to make their Pokémon wear the "Wela Crown", which is said to make the Pokémon wearing it stronger, an Alola Marowak suddenly appears and steals the crown.

EDIT: more titles;

Episode 978: A Curry-zy Beautiful Battle! The Dance of Lurantis! (July 27th)
Episode 979: Olivia's Grand Trial! The Hardest Pokémon Match Ever!! (August 3rd)

I don't mind filler, but it should at least have SOME purpose to advancing the overall story and/or character development. I suppose they want to get the story going quicker since they did spend half a year (or more) just getting out of Melemele. Hopefully there's at least one encounter with Tapu Lele while they're there.

[sometimes I think the story could've been better if Ash just went out on his own doing the trials, and not going to school.]

====

Then again, some guys on Bulbapedia are complaining about why Team Rocket isn't showing up more often. Quite honestly, I'm fine with them being absent for longer periods of time.

I don't mind filler, but it should at least have SOME purpose to advancing the overall story and/or character development. I suppose they want to get the story going quicker since they did spend half a year (or more) just getting out of Melemele. Hopefully there's at least one encounter with Tapu Lele while they're there.

[sometimes I think the story could've been better if Ash just went out on his own doing the trials, and not going to school.]

====

Then again, some guys on Bulbapedia are complaining about why Team Rocket isn't showing up more often. Quite honestly, I'm fine with them being absent for longer periods of time.

We also haven't seen Cassidy and Bubba for a while.

[spoiler...]

MY NAME IS BUTCH! AND STILL NO ONE GETS IT RIGHT SINCE MY LAST APPEARANCE IN THE GEN 4 ANIME!

Anyway, with Bewear as their mom I doubt it would let them leave.

Still, how would they handle Lusamine, Nanu and the girl from the island with Tapu Fini?

And

[spoiler...]

Lana shall dominate with Hydro Vortex. But since Popplio will evolve into Primarina, she may get Primarium-Z for the powerful Oceanic Operetta.

And they reinact that one scene from the Titanic movie.

We also haven't seen Cassidy and Biff for a while.

The writers probs forgot about them completely.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM033]

- Of course Jessie would fish up Bewear, and what is that thing's newest trick that it shouldn't be able to do whatsoever? Use its feet like propellors and jetting away.

- So the newest piece of bollocks to come from Lana's mouth is mentioning Mega Gyarados. (Because you can totes fish one up /sarcasm)

- 'K, so Ash is a phoenix now. He turns into a pile of dust (after Lana's bollocks) and re-emerges from it totally fine

- Ash getting smacked in the face (again) by a Magikarp was rather amusing. I remember a flashback before the Ash/Gary fight in Johto when Ash got smacked by Magikarp. Some things never change

- I do like that Lana pretty much took care of the Totem all by herself (bar Ash getting rid of ally Alomolomola ofc) and getting the Waterium Z to go with her new Z-Ring. Heck Popplio learned Aqua Jet which is cool I guess.

[spoiler=More movie info (after its WP at Japan Expo in France)]

Basically it's an alternate storyline, tossing some continuity out of the window, for example the Incineroar trainer is Charmander's trainer in this movie instead of Damian.

The Piplup trainer is from Twinleaf Town and wants to meet the three beasts from Johto (2nd Gen promotion right here)

The Lucario trainer is from Veilstone City

Probably, or really any named Team Rocket members not named Giovanni, the trio or whatever the secretary's name is. 

Also thoughts.

[spoiler=SM032]

• Ash and Lana go to the Trial area and fight the Totem Wishiwashi. Needless to say Lana does it. 
  • Ash legitimately sucked this episode; he had an Electric 'mon to deal with Totem Wishiwashi, but Pikachu was scared shitless from it [oh come on, you've dealt with legendary Pokemon that were far larger, and you're scared of this one smh].
    • (Also don't count on Rowlett because that thing sleeps too much to be useful at this time)
      • I guess he dealt with the Alomomola (now explain why the hell you never caught it, unless they're bound by similar restrictions.)
      • Popplio was initially fearful, but at least it got through and won. I have to give it props for only using Water moves to beat it. 
  • Watching Mallow and Sophocles stuff their faces.
  • Team Rocket apparently went to the trial site, but Bewear took them back. (Also anime physics of Bewear somehow being able to turn into a motorized plane and take off)

I am going to admit that I am being critical of Ash again, but yeah, he really is in no condition to be doing trials if his team is still LC/PU-tier and/or his best 'mon cannot handle a Totem with a type disadvantage to it.

After a while, I stopped caring about Hikers because of in-game reasons. But I wouldn't put it past Kiawe to catch an Alolan Marowak.

Then again, it's not like Ash is going to actually train any of his Alolan 'mons much and/or catch new ones. People on Bulbapedia have mixed feelings about last week; a couple agree on Ash being useless, while others liked it for comedy.

====

Episode was fine, but yeah, it was mostly Lana doing stuff (and Popplio actually stood up to said totem, unlike a certain electric mouse...)

[spoiler agreement]

Makes sense considering Ash already has Litten, and Kiawe's the fire guy.

[spoiler=Response]

Also people on the Serebii forums noted that in the preview, you could hear Kiawe getting hit in the head within the audio.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Totem Salazzle doesn't appear at all this episode tbph, and I'm not the only one thinking this.

[spoiler=Response]

Also people on the Serebii forums noted that in the preview, you could hear Kiawe getting hit in the head within the audio.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Totem Salazzle doesn't appear at all this episode tbph, and I'm not the only one thinking this.

[spoiler then...]

How would Ash get Firium Z?

[spoiler then...]

How would Ash get Firium Z?

[spoiler=Response]

I guess they'll probs show Totem Salazzle at a later point, like if Ash were to lose to Olivia or something.

I mean to be fair, the episode was never stated to be a trial episode anyway. The prelim info we got mentioned it being a festival.

Had to watch episode on Dailymotion because none of the anime sites had it up.

[spoiler=SM034]

• Kiawe catches the Alolan Marowak; well, we got that right.
    • Also (Marowak) still mad that it lost to Turtonator, thus headbutting and getting stuck in the hole.
    • At least he actually has a good 'mon now.
  • Random annoying Hikers; was funny to watch them crying after their Magmar got bust up.
  • Turtonator learned Shell Smash.
  • Litten didn't have more Fire power when the crown went on its head, or just chose not to use Flamethrower / cannot use it.

I was willing to wait till the episode went up on anime sites, but then I was like funk it, I'll watch on dailymotion and suffer through ads every 5 mins. (Main reason why I don't like watchiny on dailymotion quite frankly)

[spoiler=Thoughts on SM034]

- From what people assumed, I figured this was gonna be a capture episode, though it was amusing seeing Marowak getting stuck in the hole.

- Turtonator learning Shell Smash to overcome Marowak in the rematch was interesting.

- We get more backstory on Kiawe and how his grandpa conducted the festival when he was younger.

- Why there had to be 3 hikers is beyond me, but ofc they'd photobomb the photos at the end.

- I do think it was a good development episode for Kiawe though.

- I swear, they must love using Gen 6 music, as the mega evolution theme and Kalos e4 music played during the episode.

Yeah, it needs all the experience it can get to become stronger.

Then again, I don't see it faring well against Totem Lurantis, least not right now [then again, that thing gave me some hell on Moon when I had a Torracat, but that probably falls on me for not leveling it enough.]. Rowlet is legitimately dead weight because it sleeps too much and is almost never awake when Ash needs it to fight. Rockruff has type disadvantage and Pikachu varies from being decent to whatever. 

(Some people on Bulbapedia and the like complained about the episode though, in terms of why there was no Fire trial and we're skipping over it at this point.)

===

We can hope Ash gets the Grassium Z, but at the same time, Mallow's probably getting it.

Archived