Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Tourmaline

I guess I sort of mispoke, with Simon and Richter I guess that means that 3rd party already aren't limited to 1 rep per series (like I talked about the whole Sonic thing despite the fact they wouldn't be the first 3rd party series to have multiple reps), the realization only being related to the realization that it also means Konami has 3 reps.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I sort of mispoke, with Simon and Richter I guess that means that 3rd party already aren't limited to 1 rep per series (like I talked about the whole Sonic thing despite the fact they wouldn't be the first 3rd party series to have multiple reps), the realization only being related to the realization that it also means Konami has 3 reps.

Right, that makes more sense. Yea, a 3rd part series getting 2 reps is certainly big. Opens up a lot.

something something Vergaben and LOZ18, Leakers who have been correct and communicate with each other to suss out the validity of their sources, are adamant that King K Rool and Skull Kid were in.

Vergaben has 100% accuracy thus far, with Isabelle and a Gen 7 pokemon yet to be proven or disproven.

So... Skull Kid is likely hype???

I'm fully expecting echoes of more 3rd parties. Ken for Ryu and Shadow for Sonic have already been mentioned, but there could also be stuff like Jeanne for Bayonetta, Zack for Cloud, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man, stuff like that.

All of these seem possible.

something something Vergaben and LOZ18, Leakers who have been correct and communicate with each other to suss out the validity of their sources, are adamant that King K Rool and Skull Kid were in.

Vergaben has 100% accuracy thus far, with Isabelle and a Gen 7 pokemon yet to be proven or disproven.

So... Skull Kid is likely hype???

I'm REAL curious how Isabelle will play.

As much as I'd prefer Mipha or another Champion from BotW I can get behind Skull Kid making it in. Zelda needs more reps honestly.

Character countries of origin I saw on reddit (I think DK's mixed cuz he's sort of amalgamation of his original creation from the Donkey Kong arcade game from Nintendo and his more modern incarnation made by Rare):

8lAatco7CpXAuxyY8OuQdFQUTlEby7SWPGVpYVk1

Dark Samus is the real Captain America.

EDIT: Also, speaking of Skull Kid, he was an AT but now we have the Moon as an AT, so people are thinking in addition to the leaks that lends credence to him being a character, similar thing with Knuckles being an AT and Shadow not yet being seen as one. Isabelle was part of the leaks and she was an AT as well.

I really like the turnaround on people's opinions of clone characters. Branding them as Echo Fighters and including them in all the reveals and hype combined with the fact that their existence  allows people to dream about characters getting in that might not have gotten in before due to just being clones has seemed to make them very positively received.

And regarding Echoes, something to note is that Samus lost her Dark Samus alt color and Ike lost his Chrom alt color and we got both of those characters as Echo Fighters. However, Bayonetta still has her Jeanne alt color, which makes me think we won't actually be getting her as an Echo Fighter. I'm willing to bet it's because of balance. Even after her nerfs, Bayo was still broken and ruined competitive Smash 4 for a lot of people (some of you might remember the sheet show that was the EVO Grand Finals), so they may not want to have to deal with another version of Bayo but with slightly different properties that they'd have to balance separately.

And speaking of balance, I saw it pointed out that in the Direct whenever Rosalina got hit, the Luma would panic in place and not do anything. So she can no longer do things like use Luma to hit the opponent while she's grabbed or in hitstun or anything, thank god.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been given some good K. Rool gameplay:

So it seems like his Bair is like Ganondorf's Fair, his Fair is like Bowser's Bair, his Nair is like Dedede's Nair, his Ftilt is like Ganondorf's jab, and his Dair is like Ganondorf/Captain Falcon's Dair so I'm expecting a spike. His Uair seemed to have nice range, too. And did you see the range on that pivot grab? Hoo boy. I like the potential setups with his cannonbal, too, that first stock was some dirty stuff. He looked like he had a pretty good dash dance right at the beginning, too.

Woah, K.Rool looking good, almost like a combination of Bowser with Ganondorf. Can someone tell how big it is compared to other big characters? Because it seems to me that he's even bigger than Bowser, Dedede, etc.

As for Isabelle, I'm leaning towards her being an Echo for Villager.

Geno and Sora would be the 2 most likely.

I don't think Sora has much of a chance at all, because I'm pretty sure Disney owns the rights to him as a character. I might be wrong on that, but I'm 70ish percent sure that's the case. It could technically still happen even if they do, but I think that's really unlikely.

Geno seems very likely though, we know Sakurai wanted to add him at one point, and he's always pretty well requested... With the amount of fan favorites that are getting added, I would not be surprised.

I think Final Fantasy getting another rep is unlikely, but it's not impossible. They seem kinda stingy on letting FF characters be used, but I dunno for sure.

I don't think Sora has much of a chance at all, because I'm pretty sure Disney owns the rights to him as a character. I might be wrong on that, but I'm 70ish percent sure that's the case. It could technically still happen even if they do, but I think that's really unlikely.

Geno seems very likely though, we know Sakurai wanted to add him at one point, and he's always pretty well requested... With the amount of fan favorites that are getting added, I would not be surprised.

I think Final Fantasy getting another rep is unlikely, but it's not impossible. They seem kinda stingy on letting FF characters be used, but I dunno for sure.

I don't believe they do.

It could also be a FF character. Square loves sending out their current lead. Noctis is in Tekken for example and Lightning showed up in all kinds of weird places.

Crash is still in the back of my head as 2D animal son but I’d like to have Geno in smash. He was supposed to be in 64 and it would be nice for Sakurai to self-insert, especially considering how much work he put into the series and how not terrible of a pick it would be.

Sora could happen if Disney is feeling generous, or if they don’t have any control over KH OCs.

Also is it just me or does Sakurai have a trend of liking characters that use close-range projectile weapons/limb guns (pit, bayonetta, geno)? Insert that one Mother 3 character with a gun arm

(Or that kid from the Nintendo TV show)

As for K Rool, he’s my husband. It’s gonna be impossible to pick between him, Bayonetta, Ivysaur, Wario, Wolf, Richter, Jigglypuff, Snake, and whatever other characters we get because they all look gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, wouldn't be TOO happy with Incineroar since I think Ghost Birb would be cooler.That said Gen 7 doesn't have a TON of amazing options for reps so I wouldn't be shocked if he was the one they went with since he is a really good fit for the game.

I could maybe see Lycanroc, Golisipod, several Ultra Beasts, and maybe the Tapus, could work in Smash but not very likely.

If the theories about the background clues in the rooms of each direct holds up, we should be getting Skull Kid in this direct assuming they cover Ultimate. If not, however, the idea that the community got bamboozled by a couple of chairs and some couch pillows is funking funny.

Plus, there's been the hubbub around that one picture of Ratholos vs abunch of the sword characters that's obviously referencing Golden Sun.

And I think it's been a fair amount of time to assume they'd have a bit of Ultimate coverage. I'm sure to many the previous direct seems pretty recent, but it has been almost a full month.

Just because there’s a direct tomorrow doesn’t mean it’s about smash

We literally just had a direct a few weeks ago and they said there would probably be just one more in November

I hope people aren’t pissed if there’s no smash info

We know that the online service is coming this month, so the majority of the direct should be about the service and games that'll be supported. That doesn't mean we won't get info about other things as well, but we should expect the bulk of the direct will be about the online service

Just because there’s a direct tomorrow doesn’t mean it’s about smash

We literally just had a direct a few weeks ago and they said there would probably be just one more in November

I hope people aren’t pissed if there’s no smash info

The direct is likely for the releases coming to 3DS/Switch for the holiday season + early 2019. Smash fits into that. This not being a Smash centered direct doesn't mean it won't come up. In fact I'd argue they'd be crazy to not show off a character during it.

I could maybe see Lycanroc, Golisipod, several Ultra Beasts, and maybe the Tapus, could work in Smash but not very likely.

Yea, all of those COULD work, but none are slam dunks. Eye and Roar are the two with the best shots.

Archived