Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Tourmaline

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to rewatch it but did he have super armor? I noticed he had a counter, the move where he reflected with his massive gut.

Also, Bowser already has super armor against light attacks.

At the very least his dash attack appeared to have super armor.

Yeah, Bowser got some armor, but not like Project M's, and that's the version of him that I like the most.

Chrom has Aether, Dancing Blade, and Flare Blade.

And he's listed as a Roy Clone.

THIS DOES NOT EXPLAIN AETHER

WHAT IS THIS

I mean, Chrom and Lucina as Great Lords can learn Aether in Awakening (and it can be inherited to children). Ike's the only one who actually uses the sword flipping animation and stuff, but it's not like how it worked in Awakening would work as a recovery move.

I mean, Chrom and Lucina as Great Lords can learn Aether in Awakening (and it can be inherited to children). Ike's the only one who actually uses the sword flipping animation and stuff, but it's not like how it worked in Awakening would work as a recovery move.

... And?

That doesn't change that he is an "Echo Fighter" with a move that isn't from the character he's echoing.

This has nothing to do with lore, it has to do with how it differentiates im beyond an Echo, seemingly.

I imagine they prefer a 1:1 with the Echo Fighters, so it's not like they would have had Chrom as a Marth clone, so the options are either Ike and Roy, and might as well make him a clone of Roy because of Flare Blade. Is Aether actually based on Ike's ability, or is it just renaming one of Roy's abilities to match Chrom?

Chrom is just the result of the FE breeding mechanic making its way into Smash.

Anyway, I need to rewatch the direct later today. So much to chew on.

Though I will say I'm pumped to use my Switch as my music player once this drops. 800 songs and you can build a customized play list. Its like they know people want the OST.

Also, I love that since Sakurai is the voice of Dedede, he was basically laughing and trolling us himself with that King K. Rool reveal.

What fantastic gif material.

EDIT: So that blurred out mode is totally a SSE sort of mode, right? The Rathalos and Dracula fights looked like way more than just something only for stage hazards, like that Monster Hunter plains stage looked exactly like a SSE sort of fight space.

Missed the direct as I was out, so I had to look at the new stuff on Twitter

[spoiler=Thoughts]

- King K Rool is a neat addition. I know people have wanted him for a while

- Chrom as an echo fighter for Roy is a surprise. He could've been a separate fighter tbph. I definitely want his amiibo when it comes out next year.

- Dark Samus doesn't surprise me. More Metroid reps is a-ok with me

- Simon Belmont is another character that people wanted for a while, and with season 2 of the Netflix Castlevania series coming soon, a smash rep for the series seemed likely. 

- Ritcher as an echo fighter surprised me, mainly due to me not knowing who he was. I'm not as familiar with the series compared to others so don't hold that against me

Other stuff

- Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy? Aww, RIP. I wanted him as a fighter. At least he's in the game though

- The Moon from MM as an Assist Trophy? umm.... ok then

It caught my attention that they empathized how the Monster Hunter beast is both a hazard and an Assist Trophy. Gives me hope that they could do the something like that by making some Assist Trophies as playable characters xD

Ooh, a Limited Edition. I don't need the controller and adapter so I won't get it, but it's a nice box: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1027201332678217728

Also, someone on reddit identified all of Chrom's moves that we saw:

Marth/Roy dash
Marth Nair
Roy Ftilt
Marth Dthrow
Ike up special
Roy up smash (Not sure on this one)
Roy Fair
Marth side special
Roy neutral special

Now that I have watched the VOD of the direct, I have to say K. Rool's reveal trailer was funny with Dedede pretending to be K. Rool before getting pwned

Also the playlist thing is pretty damn cool, perfect for long trips given the amount of music content that the game has.

I also think that the blurred game mode is a Story Mode. I dunno what else it could be tbph. 

I feel like it is. Dracula and Rathalos' fights and fighting areas seemed very SSE-ish to me with just the big flat areas and how varied and cinematic some of their moves were (like Rathalos flying in from the background like Ridley in SSE). That intro of Dracula standing up from this throne and Rathalos flying in and roaring definitely isn't something that would just interrupt and play if he appears in the stage, I don't think, it seems like a special pre-boss animation. And at one point it seemed like no one could hurt Dracula aside from Simon/Richter (the hit sparks were just mist and there was a lack of impact), maybe it's a story thing where at first he's invincible until Simon/Richter join the group, then they have to fight him.

So, has anyone seen this

https://twitter.com/DigiDriver/status/1026639461172436993

For those too lazy to click the link it is a Japanese poll for top 25 wanted Smash characters. Result are

[spoiler=Results]

1) Rex

2) Bandanna Waddledee

3) Springman

4) King K Rool

5) Sora

6) 2B (Can't happen unless Nier gets ported to Switch)

7) Sans

8) Ashley (Can't happen, AT)

9) Karate Joe

10) Crash

11) Geno

12) Decidueye

13) Mimikyu (Can't happen, Pokeball)

14) Steve (from Minecraft)

15) Slime

16) Sephiroth

17) Noctis

18) Dixie

19) Banjo&Kazooe

20) Hunter (Monster Hunter)

21) Marx

22) Ray 01

23) Waluigi (Can't happen, AT)

24) Goku (lol)

25) Raiden

I'm down for most of those characters honestly. Rex, Springman, Decidueye, Dixie, Banjo, and Ray are the ones I'd most want. Sora would also be really cool. Knew I was forgetting a character. I also really want Mipha.

My order for who would excite me the most is

1) Dixie

2) Mipha

3) Banjo

4) Ray 01

5) Decideye

6) Rex

7) Springman

8) Sora

Also, I will note that the stage select had 103 stages so I don't think we're getting any more new ones. Assuming that is the case I do think that hurts characters from new franchises since I'd imagine they'd also get a stage.

I feel like it is. Dracula and Rathalos' fights and fighting areas seemed very SSE-ish to me with just the big flat areas and how varied and cinematic some of their moves were (like Rathalos flying in from the background like Ridley in SSE). That intro of Dracula standing up from this throne and Rathalos flying in and roaring definitely isn't something that would just interrupt and play if he appears in the stage, I don't think, it seems like a special pre-boss animation. And at one point it seemed like no one could hurt Dracula aside from Simon/Richter (the hit sparks were just mist and there was a lack of impact), maybe it's a story thing where at first he's invincible until Simon/Richter join the group, then they have to fight him.

The Dracula fight was legit just how the fight works in game. If you noticed none of the characters were hitting Drac's face which is where his weak point is.

As for Rathalos that did seem really strange since we only see one character fighting against him.

Archived