Revamped

Yami Kiniko

It's still broken. Think about it like this. I activate Pot of Greed and opt to destroy White Stone of Legend. Now I get to draw 2 cards and add Blue-Eyes to my hand. So this effect still keeps it on the ban list.

1 minute ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

It's still broken. Think about it like this. I activate Pot of Greed and opt to destroy White Stone of Legend. Now I get to draw 2 cards and add Blue-Eyes to my hand. So this effect still keeps it on the ban list.

What about the 2 effects merging AND it negates the effect of the destroyed monster.

How about this.

"Apply 1 of the following effects:

•If you have no cards in your hand: Draw 2 cards.

• Draw 2 cards; then take 500 damage for each card in your hand."

This effect might get it off the banlist and it actually follows the lore for Pot of Greed.

7 hours ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

In the world in which players willing to draw 2 by near-permanently losing their deck by Pot of Desires. Every suggestion so far its too cheap to make it out of the banlist IMO

That's why the effect I suggested was better. Because Pot of Greed's lore states that you can gain something that might help you or bring you happiness by simply putting your hand in but it explodes after you remove your hand.

2 hours ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

That's why the effect I suggested was better. Because Pot of Greed's lore states that you can gain something that might help you or bring you happiness by simply putting your hand in but it explodes after you remove your hand.

I ReRevamped it

Pot of greed

Spell

Do Two of the following

• Tribute 1 monster
  • After the effect of "Pot of greed" Resolves you will revive 1000 LP of damage for each card in your hand
  • Let your opponent draw 0-4 cards:

Draw 2 cards

4 hours ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Okay a bit of explaination, on meta standpoint, losing life is not really a big deal unless you face a burn deck going second. Thus for most of the time LP loss is still consider free cost. There a saying in MTG that "Life is also resource thus use it unless it will turn 0" which still true in Yugioh. You probably think at max 7 hand cards  (if the player not "that" greedy) player gonna threaten by 3500 LP loss thus not use it to turbo out but unfortunately that is never the case, Smart player will play all the advantages he/she has in hand with each digging thus end up less than 7 before he/she activate the fresh copy for maybe 1500-2000 damage. or player that simply dont care about lp loss since he/she can aggro-combo his plays for exodia or unbreakable board and your opponent has no means to split resource to trying to break his board or dig burn card (if he actually had it in the first place). 

Another example of balancing Pot of Greed is Light of Sekka, safe to say its was bit of fail as well. Things about card with inherent +1 or higher is that they also dig another copy of themselves which dig for more +

there also another function of draw cards: deck thinning. Thinner Deck = better odds finding your game ending piece. Which another thing that Desire offer (arguebly better than regular Greed) 

i think trying to tackle this will be near-forever dilemma. Our best bet either keep it +1 or +0 with harsher and more expensive restriction and cost as logically and elegantly as possible. A trick to this is the cost must interact with your hand and field only. Outside of that is "free" (same reason why now beginning of the end is limited in ocg) and that cost must be immediate (reason why into the void is limited in tcg) 

there a silverlining though, Kiniko Suggestion using on field monster as cost is actually not bad. But it probably need extra touch:

Banish 1 non-Token monster you control face-down, Draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 Pot of Greed per turn.

Well not really a pot of greed anymore, its not even follow the bizzare lore as drinkable genie lol

54 minutes ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

Okay a bit of explaination, on meta standpoint, losing life is not really a big deal unless you face a burn deck going second. Thus for most of the time LP loss is still consider free cost. There a saying in MTG that "Life is also resource thus use it unless it will turn 0" which still true in Yugioh. You probably think at max 7 hand cards  (if the player not "that" greedy) player gonna threaten by 3500 LP loss thus not use it to turbo out but unfortunately that is never the case, Smart player will play all the advantages he/she has in hand with each digging thus end up less than 7 before he/she activate the fresh copy for maybe 1500-2000 damage. or player that simply dont care about lp loss since he/she can aggro-combo his plays for exodia or unbreakable board and your opponent has no means to split resource to trying to break his board or dig burn card (if he actually had it in the first place). 

Another example of balancing Pot of Greed is Light of Sekka, safe to say its was bit of fail as well. Things about card with inherent +1 or higher is that they also dig another copy of themselves which dig for more +

there also another function of draw cards: deck thinning. Thinner Deck = better odds finding your game ending piece. Which another thing that Desire offer (arguebly better than regular Greed) 

i think trying to tackle this will be near-forever dilemma. Our best bet either keep it +1 or +0 with harsher and more expensive restriction and cost as logically and elegantly as possible. A trick to this is the cost must interact with your hand and field only. Outside of that is "free" (same reason why now beginning of the end is limited in ocg) and that cost must be immediate (reason why into the void is limited in tcg) 

there a silverlining though, Kiniko Suggestion using on field monster as cost is actually not bad. But it probably need extra touch:

Banish 1 non-Token monster you control face-down, Draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 Pot of Greed per turn.

Well not really a pot of greed anymore, its not even follow the bizzare lore as drinkable genie lol

I'm aware that LP is just another resource in the game and all. But revamping a simple "Draw 2 cards." into something that can be pulled off the banlist at minimum or unlimited isn't the easiest thing to do.

Pot of Lengthy Greed

Draw 2 cards and set them aside.  To put 1 of them at random back in your hand, do one of the following as a nontransferable non-negatable cost:

(1) Skip your next Draw Phase.

(2) Banish the other card face-down.

(3) You cannot use that random card as a Tribute and if it is a Trap, it becomes effectless till the 3rd End Phase after this effect starts.

If cost (2) was not picked, continue.

If the random card has a non-effect Original Defense, do the following based on the Defense:

<1500, Wait 1 of your turns, then add the other card to your hand.

=>1500,<3000, Wait 2 of your turns, then add the other card to your hand.

Last, Wait 3 of your turns, then add the other card to your hand; it cannot attack.

If it is a Continuous Spell/Trap or "Swords of Revealing Light", wait 1 of your turns for every 2000 LP you currently have, then add to your hand that card.

Otherwise, wait till your opponent says or for 4 of your turns, whichever is shorter, then add the other card to your hand.

I know it isn't a perfect fix, but it does cover a lot of bases.

Archived