Cuomo in sex scandal and nursing home scandal

Phelphor, of the Deep

New York lawmakers strip Gov. Cuomo of emergency Covid powers as sexual harassment, death data scandals roil state.

Cuomo.jpg

New York state lawmakers on Friday approved a bill that would significantly strip embattled Gov. Andrew Cuomo of temporary emergency powers that he was granted last year to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic.

The state Assembly passed the bill by a margin of 107-43, hours after the Senate approved the legislation in a 43-30 vote.

The Democratic governor suggested earlier this week that he will sign the bill, which would revoke Cuomo's power to issue new orders related to coronavirus, while allowing current orders to remain in effect, albeit with great legislative oversight.

The effort to limit his power came as Cuomo deals with two major scandals: a cover-up of Covid nursing home death data by his administration and accusations by three women that he sexually harassed them.

"I think everyone understands where we were back in March and where we are now. We certainly see the need for a quick response but also want to move toward a system of increased oversight and review. The public deserves to have checks and balances," said Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins, D-Westchester County.

"This legislation creates a system with increased input while at the same time ensuring New Yorkers continue to be protected," Stewart-Cousins said.

Cuomo has issued nearly 100 orders related to the coronavirus pandemic, according to debate in the Senate on Friday morning.

Sen. Andrew Lanza, R-Staten Island, on Friday complained that the bill would not prevent Cuomo from acting unilaterally and continuing directives he has issued under the emergency powers authorization.

Lanza, who said he would vote against the bill for that reason, blasted "one-man rule" and the effects from "when you have one man have absolute power over your lives" since last March.

"If I would have told anyone two years ago that we were going to stand by and let a governor to tell student athletes that they couldn't play" or tell students they could not put on a play "people would say, you're crazy, no way, no how is that happening," Lanza said.

The move to strip Cuomo's powers underscore what has been a growing rift between the governor and lawmakers from his own party.

Cuomo for years has been able to enforce his political will with less effective pushback from the Senate and Assembly than his predecessors faced.

In late January, Attorney General Letitia James said the Cuomo administration had underreported the number of Covid deaths related to nursing homes by up to 50%

"Many nursing home residents died from Covid-19 in hospitals after being transferred from their nursing homes, which is not reflected in [the Department of Health's] published total nursing home death data," James said at the time.

On Thursday night, The New York Times reported that top aides to Cuomo last June rewrote a state Department of Health report to take out the fact that more than 9,000 nursing home residents as of that month had died of the coronavirus. The move came as Cuomo was starting to write a book about what at the time was his widely praised handling of the pandemic.

The Times report contradicts the recent claim by Cuomo's aides that the death data was suppressed to keep the information from being used as a political weapon by the Justice Department, which at the time was under the control of Attorney General William Barr, a loyal ally of then-President Donald Trump. The Justice Department's query for the data, however, came months after the Cuomo aides removed it.

The suppression of the nursing home data has perplexed many because it did not change, in any way, the official death tally for Covid in New York. Instead, the move undercounted deaths related to nursing homes while reporting those deaths elsewhere.

"Not only did they withhold the information, they changed the information," Lanza said Friday.

"A lot of bad things happen when you give power to one man," he said.

Cuomo's special counsel Beth Garvey on Friday afternoon issued a lengthy statement on The Times article, suggesting there was no intent to mislead the public or lawmakers.

"To be clear, multiple times during the time the July 6 DOH report was being developed, public statements were made during the daily briefings and in the press regarding the existence of the data, but noting that the deaths were being counted in the facility where individuals died," Garvey said.

"There were repeated public statements acknowledging the out of facility deaths were not being listed as a subset of nursing home deaths stemming from concerns related to potential for double counting and consistency and accuracy."

Garvey said that no members of the governor's staff "changed any of the fatality numbers or 'altered' the fatality data."

Instead, she said, staff asked Health Department questions about the source of previously unpublished data, "to which there were not clear or complete answers," and probed whether the data "was relevant to the outcome of the report."

Then, Garvey said, "a decision was made to use the data set that was reported by the place of death with firsthand knowledge of the circumstances."

Garvey said that decision "gave a higher degree of comfort in" the data's "accuracy."

Cuomo earlier this week refused to resign over claims by two former aides and a woman who worked in the Obama White House that he sexually harassed them.

But in his first public comments on the women's allegations, he also said, "I now understand that I acted in a way that made people feel uncomfortable. It was unintentional."

The nursing home death data is the subject of a federal criminal investigation, while James is overseeing a probe of the women's allegations.

Democrats throwing Cuomo under the bus so they can get a different person in.

Discuss.

yikes...

i know i probably won't have to go into this much detail on things that are a given, but even if cuomo has been handling the pandemic well, i say he has to go. 

besides the obvious reasons why sexual harassment is bad, it's compounded by the fact it's being done by a person in a position of status and power. the first duty of such a person, is to be an example to the group he leads. now, i don't think people are as dopey as 'advocates' usually imply when they make this next point, but if cuomo was abe to get away with sexual harrassment for so long why shouldn't we expect some level of copycat behavior? (not neccesarily from cuomo supporters or dems, just in general people who don't know better.)  we heard about a similar effect in schools when trump's ham-handed social vileness was channeled into bullying increases at schools and upticks in hate crimes in (mostly) adult life. of course, there are lots of other examples, including nonpolitical ones and ones with less egregious wrongdoings than trump or cuomo, but you get where i'm going at, i hope. get this guy out, and make sure that the next one doesn't get away with it.

AH, I JUST SAW YOUR PM GODBRAND

My take is the same as it was for everyone else. Innocent until proven guilty. It's true for Republicans, and it's true for Democrats

I'm disgusted however its his alleged perversion not the fact that he's responsible for faking data and killing thousands of nursing home residents that's the final straw

11 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

I'm disgusted however its his alleged perversion not the fact that he's responsible for faking data and killing thousands of nursing home residents that's the final straw

i can see your point and now i think its actually valid, the harassment is the last straw already but when combined with faking death data to save his own political ass we have a true hack on our hands. (relative to how politicians act nowadays, is this even hackery at this point? or is it just the new standard for career politicians? either way its terrible. get this joker out

On 3/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, cr47t said:

i can see your point and now i think its actually valid, the harassment is the last straw already but when combined with faking death data to save his own political ass we have a true hack on our hands. (relative to how politicians act nowadays, is this even hackery at this point? or is it just the new standard for career politicians? either way its terrible. get this joker out

People wanted him to be President and Biden to drop out

Oh I wish lmao

1 hour ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

People wanted him to be President and Biden to drop out

Oh I wish lmao

and why would you 'wish' that, knowing to some extent that it would undermine the covid recovery process, since cuomo faked death data?

4 minutes ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

Because the Democrat President, assuming he won, would be impeached, and the entire party tarred for his efforts?

Counting on a presidential impeachment is a really stupid idea, especially in light of the Democrats having just wasted everyone's time and money with two of them. Please do not be like this.

Advocating for Cuomo to be another sex pest president like Trump was to own the libs is a ridiculous thing look for in a president.

I get it, you have to construct an order of events backwards so the underpants gnome logic can end with "Democrats lose", but it's telling that you know that Cuomo lied about the data and most likely committed sexual harassment (Or at the very least, is facing a significant amount of accusations), but still think it would be a "good" thing to have a man who did that as president just because it would satisfy your fanfiction.

winter:

ultimateirs is right in that there's no pragmatic point for what you're advocating, and roxas is right in that there's no moral basis for wanting it. i mean, not only are you saying your ends justify the means, but it's also suggested (in your either way it'll destroy their agenda post) that the means justify the ends which is even worse. and when you combine those two you get some straight-up evil shit. people who say the first may or may not be actually convinced they are right; people who use the latter are just looking for harm, and people who believe in both are shunned for good reason. so; is that the kind of approach you're willing to act out in your quest for stifling people and ideas that dissent from yours? (yes this is a correct use of the word)

9 hours ago, Phantom Roxas said:

Advocating for Cuomo to be another sex pest president like Trump was to own the libs is a ridiculous thing look for in a president.

I get it, you have to construct an order of events backwards so the underpants gnome logic can end with "Democrats lose", but it's telling that you know that Cuomo lied about the data and most likely committed sexual harassment (Or at the very least, is facing a significant amount of accusations), but still think it would be a "good" thing to have a man who did that as president just because it would satisfy your fanfiction.

Funny, I remember saying he lied about it a year ago, and you lot all wanted to String DeSantis up

For fucks sake the libs gave him an Emmy for his "work"

The rules have been made, you don't get to unown him him. If he is gonna go down, I can muse about him being a lame duck president can't I? Afterall there were polls showing he'd have beaten Biden in the primary in his covid response high

8 hours ago, cr47t said:

winter:

ultimateirs is right in that there's no pragmatic point for what you're advocating, and roxas is right in that there's no moral basis for wanting it. i mean, not only are you saying your ends justify the means, but it's also suggested (in your either way it'll destroy their agenda post) that the means justify the ends which is even worse. and when you combine those two you get some straight-up evil shit. people who say the first may or may not be actually convinced they are right; people who use the latter are just looking for harm, and people who believe in both are shunned for good reason. so; is that the kind of approach you're willing to act out in your quest for stifling people and ideas that dissent from yours? (yes this is a correct use of the word)

democrats being revealed as hypocrites and having to pay a price for it is good for the future. Otherwise they'll just do the same shit over and over. I though Kav deserved due process, so Andrew does too, but what about all the clowns who want to strip the due process Trump put into place for college students, being very silent on Gov Cuomo now though?

If its good for the goose, it should be good for the gander?

17 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

(1) democrats being revealed as hypocrites and having to pay a price for it is good for the future. Otherwise they'll just do the same shit over and over. (2) I though Kav deserved due process, so Andrew does too, but (3) what about all the clowns who want to strip the due process Trump put into place for college students, being very silent on Gov Cuomo now though?

(4) If its good for the goose, it should be good for the gander?

1. pretty much every career politiclan is a hypocrite in some kind of morally compromising way or another. so why do you not only limit this assesment to dem politicians, but sometimes seem (albeit not here) to apply it to dem-leaning or -backing common men? then again it isn't surprising that you said this given you literally said in this very thread that you wanted an excuse to take one person's hypocrisy and apply it to everyone with a similar political leaning ("the entire party tarred")

2. kav didn't really get a due process, since he was voted in SCOTUS by people who would have voted him in no matter what just because trump appointed him. so i don't see how his case relates to cuomo's

3. not only do i not know what you're talking about by college students, but i dont see how college student's cases relate to that of a state governor that those college students likely have never met...

4. i'm not sure what this means since it's even vaguer than 3, but i'm guessing it's about what roxas commented on just before this post; everyone in this thread (so far) wants cuomo out and has said so in clear-cut terms. if you really think that anyone, including whoever you're trying to convince or get on your side, is dumb enough to trust your word on _______'s opinions over _______'s own statement on his/her own opinions, you're going to need to change your strategy

also none of this answers the question from my last post

1. Winter makes generalizations against anyone even slightly to his left. He's already had extremist views, and he's only been doubling down on them throughout the years.

2. Kavanaugh is only relevant because Winter uses deflections far too often. It's why he also brought up DeSantis, even though I can't recall anyone here mentioning him before, or at least not in any significant capacity that would be worth dwelling on. That didn't stop Winter from using the lynching metaphor that he's often fond of abusing. It seems that Winter is referring more towards attitudes he likely saw completely outside of this website, and is trying to lump us in with whatever group expressed those views. So we once more see him making generalizations against people to his left.

3. The college students line was one of the whataboutisms I was criticizing Winter for relying on. That's not even hyperbole when his question is "What about all the clowns". It's not relevant to Cuomo, just as Kavanaugh and DeSantis are not relevant, but Winter regularly attempts to change the subject by deflecting to people who otherwise have nothing to do with the conversation.

4. That was just yet another line that Winter recycles on occasion. He thinks that there's some double standard going on, but he got weirdly upset about me trying to be consistent? Or whatever he thought he was going for by telling me that I "don't get to unown him him." Winter is trying to both revel in some hypocrisy supposedly being exposed while also trying to lecture about consistency, so you're damned either way.

1 hour ago, Phantom Roxas said:

1. Winter makes generalizations against anyone even slightly to his left. He's already had extremist views, and he's only been doubling down on them throughout the years.

2. Kavanaugh is only relevant because Winter uses deflections far too often. It's why he also brought up DeSantis, even though I can't recall anyone here mentioning him before, or at least not in any significant capacity that would be worth dwelling on. That didn't stop Winter from using the lynching metaphor that he's often fond of abusing. It seems that Winter is referring more towards attitudes he likely saw completely outside of this website, and is trying to lump us in with whatever group expressed those views. So we once more see him making generalizations against people to his left.

3. The college students line was one of the whataboutisms I was criticizing Winter for relying on. That's not even hyperbole when his question is "What about all the clowns". It's not relevant to Cuomo, just as Kavanaugh and DeSantis are not relevant, but Winter regularly attempts to change the subject by deflecting to people who otherwise have nothing to do with the conversation.

4. That was just yet another line that Winter recycles on occasion. He thinks that there's some double standard going on, but he got weirdly upset about me trying to be consistent? Or whatever he thought he was going for by telling me that I "don't get to unown him him." Winter is trying to both revel in some hypocrisy supposedly being exposed while also trying to lecture about consistency, so you're damned either way.

he pretends to be some kind of messenger of truth when in reality he is a father to lies? no shit, we knew that he'd rather tear down arguments by treating us like dumb dumbs rather than engage in respectful debate, and approaches controversial topics as if he presumes there to be 'no law other than doing whatever the f*** he wants', or something to that effect. if you really wanted to push my first of these sentences you could point to his current 'ryusei the m*rning star' username but i'm not a zealot so i won't insist on it. but in the end if he wants to save himself from lies he gotta stop recycling bullshit, to the extent that both the bullshit itself and the frequency of it would make nixon jealous, but i wont insist on that comparison, i'll just make it.

and between you and me, roxas, i'd prefer a DM next time for matters like this

now, so this doesn't turn into a flamewar: winter, do you have a legitimate argument? there's literally nothing in the subject that started that needs to be distracted from, or in need of equivalations, so keep that in mind. or even better; anyone else who hasn't commented since the first reply, do you have anything to say? i understand if you don't want to enter this debate but we really need some fresh voices

38 minutes ago, cr47t said:

he pretends to be some kind of messenger of truth when in reality he is a father to lies? no shit, we knew that he'd rather tear down arguments by treating us like dumb dumbs rather than engage in respectful debate, and approaches controversial topics as if he presumes there to be 'no law other than doing whatever the f*** he wants', or something to that effect. if you really wanted to push my first of these sentences you could point to his current 'ryusei the m*rning star' username but i'm not a zealot so i won't insist on it. but in the end if he wants to save himself from lies he gotta stop recycling bullshit, to the extent that both the bullshit itself and the frequency of it would make nixon jealous, but i wont insist on that comparison, i'll just make it.

and between you and me, roxas, i'd prefer a DM next time for matters like this

now, so this doesn't turn into a flamewar: winter, do you have a legitimate argument? there's literally nothing in the subject that started that needs to be distracted from, or in need of equivalations, so keep that in mind. or even better; anyone else who hasn't commented since the first reply, do you have anything to say? i understand if you don't want to enter this debate but we really need some fresh voices

You forgot to call me a son of a Whore and a Spawn of Satan in that little tirade of yours

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/us/politics/joe-biden-title-ix.html

If you or Roxas did the slightest bit of introspection you'd realize I was talking about this. Sexual assault claims on Campuses, Biden wants to undo the reforms that gave more rights to the accused and their day to defend themselves, the same right he wishes to afford to Cuomo, and the same rights he supported stripping Kav of

So we do believe all woman, or does that come with an * of when politically convenient 

That's not what introspection means, but it's okay, we're used to you misusing words.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/10/975645192/biden-begins-process-to-undo-trump-administrations-title-ix-rules

Shutting down survivors of sexual assault and restricting their ability to speak up isn't the same as giving the accused the right to defend themselves, and either way, you are really reaching to act like it's all connected to both Cuomo and Kavanaugh.

You're trying to put forward some gotcha on believing women, except, as I need to remind you, everyone here has shown that they are willing to believe the accusations, or they're at least not going to dismiss the accusations right away.

Biden's reaction to both Kavanaugh and Cuomo's accusers was that their accusers deserved to be heard and an investigation should be conducted. Although you're desperately looking for a double standard here, Biden's responses to both of them were consistent with each other, so you can quit clutching pearls now.

Winter, not taking sides here and I agree 100% that Biden is a racist pedo who deserves to fry in hell. That being said, I wouldn't go as far as to replace that steaming heap of garbage with somebody that is no different. I'm aware you were joking about the idea but the very thought of replacing Biden with an inverse version of himself just makes me sick. So on that note, I'd suggest taking a step back when victory becomes more important than your morals. Your goal is to be better than the people that put a monster in office, not be like them.

That being said, I hope we get somebody honest in office soon.

Oh, and Roxas, all due respect to you, man. Nice to see you would've made a better decision had you known better. Honestly though, next time, think a bit before you vote and same thing I told Winter. Your morals are more important than victory. I know you likely voted Biden because you were desperate to get rid of Trump and just like the other dems that voted Biden, you're likely realizing you've made a huge mistake. Thing is, that situation is out of your hands now and congress will either step up to fix the issue or they'll shut up until 2024. That being said, we'll either end up with another monster in office or we'll get somebody halfway decent.

Me, personally, I put the constitution above all else in this country.

"not taking sides here and I agree 100% that Biden is a racist pedo who deserves to fry in hell"

Look, you didn't need to contradict yourself that quickly.

You seem to be responding to something I did not say here. I knew what I was getting into when I voted for Biden, and I don't think I made a mistake. If anything, it would have gone against my morals if I sat out the election entirely just because I don't like Biden. You do not speak for me.

41 minutes ago, Phantom Roxas said:

"not taking sides here and I agree 100% that Biden is a racist pedo who deserves to fry in hell"

Look, you didn't need to contradict yourself that quickly.

You seem to be responding to something I did not say here. I knew what I was getting into when I voted for Biden, and I don't think I made a mistake. If anything, it would have gone against my morals if I sat out the election entirely just because I don't like Biden. You do not speak for me.

I wasn't contradicting myself there. I said I wasn't taking sides in the debate. Regardless, I just came to let Winter know how I felt about his joke (as a friend). Also, I came to let you know that you earned my respect and everything I told you was out of respect and understanding. The mods felt like I was throwing shade. In reality, I was being 100% real and honest with both you and Winter. No jokes. No sarcasm. No arguments. I respect both of you and both of you deserve to know that.

Roxas, if you don't mind me asking, strictly viewing the democratic candidates of course, who was your primary choice before Biden? <- Never mind this question. Just looked at the list and from a political pov, Biden was probably the best choice given that he was VP.

28 minutes ago, Horu said:

I wasn't contradicting myself there. I said I wasn't taking sides in the debate. Regardless, I just came to let Winter know how I felt about his joke (as a friend). Also, I came to let you know that you earned my respect and everything I told you was out of respect and understanding. The mods felt like I was throwing shade. In reality, I was being 100% real and honest with both you and Winter. No jokes. No sarcasm. No arguments. I respect both of you and both of you deserve to know that.

Roxas, if you don't mind me asking, strictly viewing the democratic candidates of course, who was your primary choice before Biden? <- Never mind this question. Just looked at the list and from a political pov, Biden was probably the best choice given that he was VP.

Stay on topic. Give your thoughts on Andrew Cuomo, or shut up.

18 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Stay on topic. Give your thoughts on Andrew Cuomo, or shut up.

As far as Cuomo is concerned, the guy is trash. It really bothers me that this guy is part of the political structure when the reality is that he should be locked up for eternity.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/09/republican-reps-matt-gaetz-tom-reed-face-ethics-investigations-house/7162704002/

We can save Matt Gaetz being implicated in sex trafficking for another topic, but I think it's worth bringing up Tom Reed. Following allegations around groping former lobbyist Nicolette Davis, Tom Reed has announced that he will not be running for re-election, or for New York governor. Meanwhile, Lee Zeldin has announced his own campaign for governor.

Archived