Merge Contest

Loleo

Nyx and Horu just hosted some great contest and I think it's time to start another!

Theme: Join 2 or more archetypes

Grading /30

Matches Theme /7

Balance /7

PSCT /5

Originality /5

Art (optional) /3

Allusion to me [or other cool references] (optional) /3

Prize: I will make or review any card of your choosing

Deadline: September 3

Have Fun :)

Alright. I don't know what archetypes would mesh together. But then I remembered how the Deck Pegasus had shared both Toon monsters and non Toon Spellcasters. Now, I couldn't find Toon art for most of his Spellcasters. SO...I went with a Normal monster he had that isn't actually a Toon. What it does is connect the two (somehow). So you can try to make a true Pegasus Deck! Maybe. Oh, also it recovers a chunk of your banished cards. Could be handy in conjunction with Toon Kingdom. I only gave it a soft "Once per turn" clause, because even with new support a year or two ago, Toons aren't exactly competitive.

324bd1d8ce9b.jpg

Toon Parrot Dragon

WIND

Level 5

ATK: 2000

DEF: 1300

Dragon/Toon/Effect

Cannot attack the turn it is Summoned. You can discard this card; add 1 card that lists "Eyes Restrict" in its text from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can shuffle 3 of your banished cards into the Deck; Set 1 Spell/Trap Card that lists "Eyes Restrict" or "Toon World" directly from your Deck. While you control "Toon World" and your opponent controls no Toon monsters, this card can attack directly.

Two questions, Itsu-Itsu:

1) It's a 1 card submission? Hopefully it is for the sake of simplicity,  but I ask because It's natural to think that in order to mesh two archetypes, more than 1 card would be the way to go. Welp, I understand this is a challenge,  so if it's gonna be 1 card, 1 card it is n.n

2) What's with that "allusion to me or other cool references"? I don't quite get what do you mean or how we could allude you, and what kind of cool references you're talking about. Please elaborate 👍

An interesting concept, I'm still in the middle of brainstorming. I hope you're going to review and analyse why a certain card wins or better compared to the others because in the thread "Gamble Contest", you just announced who won without any explanation, even the winner has asked but no response :(

12 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Two questions, Itsu-Itsu:

1) It's a 1 card submission? Hopefully it is for the sake of simplicity,  but I ask because It's natural to think that in order to mesh two archetypes, more than 1 card would be the way to go. Welp, I understand this is a challenge,  so if it's gonna be 1 card, 1 card it is n.n

2) What's with that "allusion to me or other cool references"? I don't quite get what do you mean or how we could allude you, and what kind of cool references you're talking about. Please elaborate 👍

1. Yep 1 card!

2. A reference to any card or archetype, especially something I made! Like pulling something from a character as a reference. I'll spoil a bit and say Nyx got a little for making a toon version of a Pegasus normal monster vs just making a random toon. 

11 hours ago, Nede said:

An interesting concept, I'm still in the middle of brainstorming. I hope you're going to review and analyze why a certain card wins or better compared to the others because in the thread "Gamble Contest", you just announced who won without any explanation, even the winner has asked but no response :(

I PM the person who asked last time. I will give everyone full explanations this time. I have learned.

Alrighty, Itsu Itsu, here I go!:

248644137_image.psd(2).thumb.png.9840b305931fd489f517d3c874891af9.png

Itsu Back-up is Here!

Continuous Spell

"itsu" monsters in your possession are also treated as Level 4. Non-Link "Charmer" monsters you control are also treated as "Aitsu" and "Soitsu". You can banish 1 monster from your GY, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; the target becomes the Level and Attribute of that banished monster. You can target 1 face-down card you control; change it to Attack Position, then, if that target was a "Charmer" monster, you can Special Summon 1 "itsu" monster from your hand or GY. You can only use each effect of "Itsu Back-up Is Here!" once per turn.

Alrightoo! So, what could be more "alludes to me" than this? lol. This card is just a fun attempt to mesh Charmers and the long forgotten Itsus, making use of their varied Attributes for Spiritual Art shenanigans among other uses. We know that Itsus are basically never used in any way due to them being so frail (no protections at all) and Koitsu/Aitsu being hard to Summon (unless you use the help of other support, 1 or 2 Tributes is bad). The card unifies them all into level 4 in order to perform Rank 4s with the Charmers when needed and Normal Summoning without Tribute. Since they're so weak (sorry Itsu, but that's the case) they needed extreme measures, and that measure is making our lil' Charmers violent, violent beaters, reaching 3000 or 3500 respectively. I decided to leave the Links out of play because 4850 ATK seemed completely broken, but 3500 is something you see rather often nowadays. Now, the card is slow: It has a super HOPT. Otherwise, it'd allow to  do nasty stuff like banishing to convert the opponent's monster into the stuff you need, Flip, take control and Summon an Itsu, all of this in one shot, and that seemed like a no. At any rate, you can more or less pull it off with additional support.

EDIT -  On second though, I realized the inherent difficulty to pull off the effect, as you need the right tools on the field and the GY. That should lower the card's dangerousness, and thus I removed the super HOPT to make it a simple HOPT. It should allow strong plays, but nothing too crazy :)

2 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Alrighty, Itsu Itsu, here I go!:

361840324_ItsuBack-upIsHere!.thumb.png.3a783176eda2b5fa46dfbd192aedcb3f.png

Itsu Back-up is Here!

Continuous Spell

"itsu" monsters in your possession are also treated as Level 4. Non-Link "Charmer" monsters you control are also treated as "Aitsu" and "Soitsu". You can banish 1 card from your GY, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; the target becomes the Level and Attribute of that banished card. You can target 1 face-down card you control; change it to Attack Position, then, if that target was a "Charmer" monster, you can Special Summon 1 "itsu" monster from your hand or GY. You can only use 1 "Itsu Back-up Is Here!" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Alrightoo! So, what could be more "alludes to me" than this? lol. This card is just a fun attempt to mesh Charmers and the long forgotten Itsus, making use of their varied Attributes for Spiritual Art shenanigans among other uses. We know that Itsus are basically never used in any way due to them being so frail (no protections at all) and Koitsu/Aitsu being hard to Summon (unless you use the help of other support, 1 or 2 Tributes is bad). The card unifies them all into level 4 in order to perform Rank 4s with the Charmers when needed and Normal Summoning without Tribute. Since they're so weak (sorry Itsu, but that's the case) they needed extreme measures, and that measure is making our lil' Charmers violent, violent beaters, reaching 3000 or 3500 respectively. I decided to leave the Links out of play because 4850 ATK seemed completely broken, but 3500 is something you seet rather often nowadays. Now, the card is slow: It has a super HOPT. Otherwise, it'd allow to  do nasty stuff like banishing to convert the opponent's monster into the stuff you need, Flip, take control and Summon an Itsu, all of this in one shot, and that seemed like a no. At any rate, you can more or less pull it off with additional support.

No why a HOPT why not add a Super kinda harsh cost and say you can only Normal or Special Summon monsters with the same Attribute as the banished card instead, also can there a a trap that Link Summons charmer monsters with 1 of your opponents monsters as link material but they get to draw 1 card also that will be a HOPT. Something bedsides whats with all these HOPT why not take a new route and we make the cost and Restrictions harsher so they can be used more then once per turn cause all these new modern cards just say its a HOPT why not do something instead like make it be used more then once per turn but you need to pay up and there's a penalty if you used it more then once per turn that would be kinda cool right just something that poped up in my head and besides all cards have the same old boring HOPT clause they should make it somthing Intersing if you used it more then OPT then you with lose a card you control or from your hand IDK something cool.

9 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

No why a HOPT why not add a Super kinda harsh cost and say you can only Normal or Special Summon monsters with the same Attribute as the banished card instead, also can there a a trap that Link Summons charmer monsters with 1 of your opponents monsters as link material but they get to draw 1 card also that will be a HOPT. Something bedsides whats with all these HOPT why not take a new route and we make the cost and Restrictions harsher so they can be used more then once per turn cause all these new modern cards just say its a HOPT why not do something instead like make it be used more then once per turn but you need to pay up and there's a penalty if you used it more then once per turn that would be kinda cool right just something that poped up in my head and besides all cards have the same old boring HOPT clause they should make it somthing Intersing if you used it more then OPT then you with lose a card you control or from your hand IDK something cool.

welp, thanks for the feedback. The reason I'm managing a super HOPT is to make sure there aren't some dangerous loops and make the card go nuts. The thing about harsh costs is that, under the correct circumstances, they can be avoided or paid up, and that is problematic because we also got to keep in mind the kind of effect we're enabling, which is taking control of opponent's monsters, an effect which is among the strongest in YGO (I'm talking about the FLIP effect of the charmers, btw, which is accommodated by the banished monster). If anything... I'm slightly inclined to change the super HOPT to a single HOPT because having many Charmers face-down on the field at once AND having the right tools in the GY to change the opponent's monster Attribute seems difficult enough... mmmmhhh.... mmmhmmm... yeah, on second though, the whole strategy is tough... welp, since the deadline is Sep 3, I think I can make some adjustment to the card, even if it's, as you call it, a boring HOPT xD.

spacer.png

Masked Hero Mist Frog
WATER/Level 2
Aqua/Fusion/Effect
ATK/500 DEF/0

Must be Special Summoned with "Mask Change". When this card is Special Summoned: You can return up to 2 of your banished monsters to your hand; this card gains 1000 ATK for each returned monster. If this card is sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 Rank 2 or lower Xyz Monster from your GY and attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. You can only use each effect of "Masked Hero Mist Frog" once per turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my take on the contest, it's a combination of Hero and Frog Archetype. I used Masked Hero so you can use Mask Change 2 if you don't want to use Warrior monsters but you can use Mask Change if you incorporate Warrior monsters in your Deck. The effects basically recycle cards from the Banished Zone from the effects of Ronintoadin, Miracle Fusion, or any card that banishes cards. The last effect was made specifically to revive Toadally Awesome from the GY but maybe people can use it for different cases since it's only written Rank 2 or lower Xyz Monster.

Pale Alien with Eyes of Blue

LIGHT *

Reptile/Tuner/Effect

This card’s name becomes "Alien Ammonite" while on the field or in the GY. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 Normal Monster from your Deck to the GY. You can target 1 Effect Monster you control; send it to the GY, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Normal Monster from your GY, then, if you have another Normal Monster in your GY with the same name as that Summoned monster, you can Special Summon 1 Level 1 LIGHT Tuner from your GY, but its effects are negated, also banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Pale Alien with Eyes of Blue" once per turn.

500/200

Blue-Eyes x Alien

Vn3x9U6.jpg

1 Tuner + 1+ monster
This card is also LIGHT-Attribute. If this card is Synchro Summoned: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "lswarm" or "Fabled" Monster in GY(s) and then you can apply the following effect for the rest of the Duel. You can only use this effect of "Fabled Jahilswarm" once per turn.
● Replace "lswarm", Steelswarm", or "Fabled" listed on text of cards in your possession to ""lswarm" and/or "Fabled"". also you are unaffected effects that has both "Cannot" and "Special Summon" in its text except the effect of "Fabled Jahilswarm". Whenever a monster(s) is summoned on your field other than "lswarm" or "Fabled" Monster, you cannot Special Summon monster for the rest of that turn except  "lswarm" or "Fabled" Monster

technically speaking, this is fusion of 3 archetype at once, although to be fair steelswarm themselves already the sub-archetype of lswarm. honestly, i think i can do better.. but my mental juice running out in search of 1 effect that may tied freakin 3 different playstyle together each with restriction an penalty that i have to bypassed. so it end up as simple but mean-thicc single time-tested extender effect (and powerful one of its kind in fact). the big part of the text is dedicated to aforementioned restriction bypass...well more like restriction replacement actualy lol.

lore-wise is based on arabic word "Jahil" meaning Mischievous (really bad evil kind, not fun prank one).

Toon parrot Dragon

Grading 24.1/30

Matches Theme 6.5/7 Did the job almost perfectly and it isn't overbearing. It is a little toon heavy for my liking.

Balance 6/7 Does a great job in a deck that really wants to combine the 2, but just barely the level 5 really hurts.

PSCT 5/5 Looks good to me.

Originality 4/5 The card effect isn't especially new or innovative but I don't think that's what you were aiming for you made a unique card. 

Art  2/3 It's cool you found art for this.

Allusion to me [or other cool references]  .6 /3 Using one of Pegasus' normal monsters is cool and you merged his 2 archetypes.

Itsu Back-up Is Here!

Grading 28.5/30

Matches Theme 6/7 It took a lot of work trying to mix those archetypes, and there is almost nothing there to start with. You did make it work surprisingly well!

Balance 7/7 You couldn't really be too over or underpowered for these 2 incredibly weak babies (I'm sorry my Itsus). Unless you went tried to mess up. This would see play in every deck combining the 2 without reaching the meta at all. I appreciate the extra strength by allowing both effects.

PSCT 5/5 Perfect!

Originality 5/5 This is on a whole level of original.

Art (optional) 2.5/3 Where did you find this?!? I want to see you draw next time.

Allusion to me [or other cool references] (optional) 3/3 You asked what I meant, I answered and you pulled through to my roots. Thank you for fufiling this especially selfish request.

Masked Hero Mist Frog

Grading 22.2/30

Matches Theme 6/7 Like I said with Ray not much in common with the 2 but you got the job done!

Balance 5/7 I don't think it will break the game but It might, this can generate a surprising amount of advantage Easily.

PSCT 5/5 Everyone knows how to write right!

Originality 3/5 Sadly this is a lot of borrowed concepts, but it works in a strange original way?

Art (optional) 2/3 Really Cool!

Allusion to me [or other cool references] (optional) 1.2/3 Shadow mist reference? I know this is a coincidence, I've played paleo toads vs. my buddies heroes ever since they were popular.

Pale Alien with Eyes of Blue

Grading 19/30

Matches Theme 4/7 In name this works to combine the 2, but honestly some of your other ones were so much better! Even if it supports both (really helps blue eyes more), it doesn't really bring the decks together.

Balance 5/7 I know it's a tuner that gets you any normal monster and likely another tuner, but it struggles to get plays going. It's normal summon effect helps, but I need more.

PSCT 5/5 You got this great!

Originality 5/5 Really unique style for a tuner that works the way it does as normal support

Art (optional) 0/3 NA

Allusion to me [or other cool references] (optional) 0/3 NA?

Fabled Jahilswarm

Grading 24/30

Matches Theme 6/7 This is a lot. It has a lot of work put in to make sure it does exactly what it's meant to do.  It still feels a little clunky and merging and archetype with subtypes probably made this a lot more difficult.

Balance 7/7 It's over specific and I don't like how it works but it does.

PSCT 4/5 I... I can't find a mistake? I'm really only taking off a point because it's clunky

Originality 5/5 Nobody could convince me this isn't an original way to do this. You brute forced your way through this.

Art (optional) 2/3 Really cool!

Allusion to me [or other cool references] (optional) 0/3 NA?

In conclusion

1st: @Rayfield Lumina!

2nd: @The Nyx Avatar!

3rd: @Dokutah Jolly!

4th: @Nede!

5th: @Tinkerer!

Thank you all for your time and effort in my Contest! I'm going to host a new one in due time!

Hey, Itsu! You already know my feelings from the status and all, but I'll say it again, feelin' happy! n.n

1 hour ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Where did you find this?!? I want to see you draw next time.

You see, as I investigated the Itsu Archetype I learned something you must know better than me: They are based on characters from "Sexy Parodus". Looking for pics of that game, I came across this:

428430806_Screenshot2021-09-04at21_13_47.png.99809c78b8439add8e70b0ba750a5955.png

Seems like this is concept image from the original game. As you can see, the artwork in the card looks different (no letters, and two out of the three blue men were re-colored yellow and green). That was me doing some tweaks in my image editor. I'm flattered that you actually want drawings of mine instead of artworks already in existence, so I can make one in future contests n.n

Lol, I meant to write an explanation for my card design but I forgot xD

For anyone curious about my design, I'll try to be brief:

Synchro Aliens was/is my favorite version of the deck. The core of its plays revolved around sending Alien Shocktrooper (Level 4 Normal Monster) to the GY and then bringing it back with Alien Ammonite's (Level 1 LIGHT Tuner) Normal Summon effect.

Oddly enough, the features of the cards (rather than the effects) happened to map perfectly with certain Blue-Eyes support.

Most of the Eyes of Blue monsters explicitly supported Level 1 LIGHT Tuners (which includes Alien Ammonite), and the Blue-Eyes field spell "Mausoleum of White" allows you to send a Normal Monster (Shocktrooper) from Deck to GY and lets you Normal Summon an extra Level 1 LIGHT Tuner per turn.

...Put simply, Alien variants were already using B-E cards. The deck was already pseudo-merged.

My card was designed to reciprocate that: giving Aliens a useful enabler that more directly helped B-E, allowing B-E to have a little Alien engine.

Of course, since the card was an "Eyes of Blue" monster, it "had to" a) have a Normal Summon effect, b) a targeting effect, and c) support Level 1 LIGHT Tuners. Had to make sure to work with those conditions while supporting B-E and the core Alien plays.

Honestly, I'm really proud of the design. This  was definitely my favorite of all of my merged designs (purely from a design perspective), even if other ones might've done better actually merging two archetypes.

Thanks for the fun contest Itsu!

11 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Hey, Itsu! You already know my feelings from the status and all, but I'll say it again, feelin' happy! n.n

You see, as I investigated the Itsu Archetype I learned something you must know better than me: They are based on characters from "Sexy Parodus". Looking for pics of that game, I came across this:

428430806_Screenshot2021-09-04at21_13_47.png.99809c78b8439add8e70b0ba750a5955.png

Seems like this is concept image from the original game. As you can see, the artwork in the card looks different (no letters, and two out of the three blue men were re-colored yellow and green). That was me doing some tweaks in my image editor. I'm flattered that you actually want drawings of mine instead of artworks already in existence, so I can make one in future contests n.n

They were characters for a show even before that :) I think it's cool you found something like this!

Archived