YCM New Era: Plugins and Apps

It's been some months since this thread was created by Nyx, and this little something YCMaker said over there have been resounding in a corner of my brain every now and then:

feel free to post here any plugins that you think would be beneficial to the community, and I'll take a look.

One day, I decided that it was about time to do something about this. I can't do much, but what is in my hands, I had to try. So I visited this "Invision Community" hoping to receive some help in regard of how to implement plugins, apps and the like in our Forum. I made an account, had my content approved by mods and made a thread in the Support Section.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/467264-requesting-help-for-invision-based-forum/

Exhibiting my regrettable ignorance, I asked about the many features we're interesting in, and as you can see, the nice people over there were quick to reply with more than I hoped for. From Links of particular features such as the Shop or the Background Music in Profile to explanations about how User Groups are currently available (or should be) in the Admin CP, as well as the famous New Reaction Types. They even surprised me with a complete list of Plugins/Apps in the second reply!

@YCMaker please have a look at the link I posted above and check out the links they provided me with. I'll take the liberty of quoting Redro by saying "We're starved of good, engaging types of content on here". I think this speaks for most of us regulars who love the site and wish to have a better experience, one that, of course, is capable of engaging more newcomers into staying n.n. I know there's a lot to take into account (starting, of course, with fees), but also of how new features can impact in the overall functionality of the site, but please, take this into consideration and let us know what you think and can be done.

• Like 5
  • Shiba Inu 1

I don't know much about these things, but a cursory glance at the link you posted and the responses provided shows what seems like a good number of attractive options.  I'm in favor of implementing pretty much all of this if at all possible. Might help breathe a little life back into the forums, as it were.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Posting here so you're aware I'm looking into these plugins. I most likely won't integrate a shop plugin until one is built by Invision themselves, it's a big enough feature that I wouldn't trust a 3rd party developer to be able to support it in the long term. It's also the type of feature that can easily introduce small bugs and performance problems as it affects almost every aspect of the forum.

We can definitely add more reactions, as well as user groups (though I'd like to avoid having hundreds of user groups as we did in the past, as I think it makes each group less "special" when there are so many, and becomes hard to manage permissions on so many groups).

Personally I'm not a fan of music on community boards in general, it feels tacky to me and reminds me of Myspace-era profiles. But if there is an outpouring of support for that feature, I wouldn't be inherently against it.

• Thanks 1
  • Shiba Inu 1

18 minutes ago, YCMaker said:

Posting here so you're aware I'm looking into these plugins. I most likely won't integrate a shop plugin until one is built by Invision themselves, it's a big enough feature that I wouldn't trust a 3rd party developer to be able to support it in the long term. It's also the type of feature that can easily introduce small bugs and performance problems as it affects almost every aspect of the forum.

We can definitely add more reactions, as well as user groups (though I'd like to avoid having hundreds of user groups as we did in the past, as I think it makes each group less "special" when there are so many, and becomes hard to manage permissions on so many groups).

Personally I'm not a fan of music on community boards in general, it feels tacky to me and reminds me of Myspace-era profiles. But if there is an outpouring of support for that feature, I wouldn't be inherently against it.

So you don't trust 3rd parties yeah I can't argue with that but can you at least try to make the site more fun again...?. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:02 PM, YCMaker said:

Perhaps the tackiness can be solved by not having it auto-play on loading the page like it did in the past, but make it optional for the viewer on the page. That way it doesn't necessitate a clash with polish or with the page viewer's own music preferences.

I had some ideas for the user group special problem, but then I realized they didn't address the quantity problem YCMaker brought up, never mind the question of if they were possible on the forum engine. I'll have to think more about that one before posting it here.

In any case, YCMaker thanks for stopping by and letting us know

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:02 PM, YCMaker said:

That's quite understandable, I suppose we'd rather have the site running properly than daring into unknown, dangeorus territory 

We can definitely add more reactions

Yeah, in this regard I took a step forward and designed something of my own. I know that's very daring but I figured I had to be proactive there. I made a poll asking members if they'd like it, and the answer is an unanimous yes.Please have a look:

https://www.cardmaker.net/forums/topic/415103-new-type-of-reaction-poll/?_rid=737260

We all would like if you could add this reaction to the forum. You can use the imagen I uploaded there as you see fit, or if you need other image format, let me know. I'll kindly inform you in advance that I'll be hella insistent in this regard until we have a shiba reaction in our dear forum *wink*

as well as user groups (though I'd like to avoid having hundreds of user groups as we did in the past, as I think it makes each group less "special" when there are so many, and becomes hard to manage permissions on so many groups).

Excellent! And fair. We'd probably have few since, opposed to the old times, there are not as many active members, sadly.

Surely I can ask around if people want Profile Music, perhaps with another poll, and tag you there for the results. As for the tacky part, well, Cr47t is offering a solution here.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, cr47t said:

Perhaps the tackiness can be solved by not having it auto-play on loading the page like it did in the past, but make it optional for the viewer on the page. That way it doesn't necessitate a clash with polish or with the page viewer's own music preferences.

Thanks for your suggestion, Cr47t. Of course, I'm unsure if such possibility (on/off button) is available, but it would be definitely helpful.

At any rate, as I said earlier, I'll ask around the forum and see how things fare.

For the time being, Usergroups and:

InuNeutral.png.c2dc3fdd75aa31b72da8fd5169926e95.png

Please

• Shiba Inu 6

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...