Anyone else seeing this?

Icy

I feel I must say this again, as I believe this is an important point that must be made.

There are a lot of people who come to this forum for whom English is not their first language. There are also a lot of young kids that like to post cards. So there are bound to be a multitude of errors in spelling, OCG, reusing of effects, unrealistic types of cards, OP'ed cards, and cards that are still Normal but clearly the creator intended them to be Effect, or Fusion, whatever.

I think we've gotten a little off-topic. The original topic was, should the following forum rule be put into effect?

"Any member who posts only regarding "bad OCG" or only posts an OCG correction (even if it is accompanied by a rating) will be given a ??% Warning the first time, a ??% Warning the second time, and will receive a 3-day ban upon the third occurrence. Any further occurrences after the 3-day ban will result in consequences such as a ban from the Realistic Cards section, or even a forum ban."

Personally I think such a rule has merit, especially in the case of the Realistic Card Section.

There's a lack of constructive criticism, and I think most of us are in agreement that flaming noobs should NOT be what this forum is for. Personally, I always try to be helpful, even when it's hard to do. Nothing is more painful than seeing something like this...

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-146775-post-2799077.html

Or this...

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-147074-post-2812830.html

But still, I try to be helpful, even in the case of that bad dragon card. I realize that it's very hard these days for someone to come up with an original effect, or spend hours searching image boards and funking deviantART for a decent picture. My own cards probably will get flamed for having bad pictures because pictures of what I chose to make into cards are hard to find. But I don't really care.

Anyway, very few cards are going to be perfect, and I agree that straight up ratings/flaming without suggestions on improvement beyond just OCG "corrections" have to end. I don't like that fact that such a rule should be implemented, but at the same time, I think it has become necessary.

Thoughts?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said' date=' people should be helped, but others tend to disagree. There isnt even a good reason to hate newbies considering it does nothing. Helping does something. You know you did something usefull. Once you say FAIL/10, it shows how lazy you are.

[/quote']

Not quite. It could also show how you think you are all that. They think that if you say harsh internet termonology you are cool. No. It means you are either lazy, you are misinterpreting the internet system, or you think you are cool. Which, if you say that to a newb's bad card, than you are not. That's just harsh, rude, and unnecessary.

If you're on this forum, you are most assuredly not cool. >_>

My advice would be to get out of CC every now and then. Being constantly surrounded by bad cards is bad for your disposition. The more bad cards you try to rate, the more irritable and less helpful your posts are going to get.

You're right; I am still taking my break from CC.

I feel I must say this again' date=' as I believe this is an important point that must be made.

There are a lot of people who come to this forum for whom English is not their first language. There are also a lot of young kids that like to post cards. So there are bound to be a multitude of errors in spelling, OCG, reusing of effects, unrealistic types of cards, OP'ed cards, and cards that are still Normal but clearly the creator intended them to be Effect, or Fusion, whatever.

I think we've gotten a little off-topic. The original topic was, should the following forum rule be put into effect?

"Any member who posts only regarding "bad OCG" or only posts an OCG correction (even if it is accompanied by a rating) will be given a ??% Warning the first time, a ??% Warning the second time, and will receive a 3-day ban upon the third occurrence. Any further occurrences after the 3-day ban will result in consequences such as a ban from the Realistic Cards section, or even a forum ban."

Personally I think such a rule has merit, especially in the case of the Realistic Card Section.

There's a lack of constructive criticism, and I think most of us are in agreement that flaming noobs should NOT be what this forum is for. Personally, I always try to be helpful, even when it's hard to do. Nothing is more painful than seeing something like this...

Or this...

But still, I try to be helpful, even in the case of that bad dragon card. I realize that it's very hard these days for someone to come up with an original effect, or spend hours searching image boards and f***ing deviantART for a decent picture. My own cards probably will get flamed for having bad pictures because pictures of what I chose to make into cards are hard to find. But I don't really care.

Anyway, very few cards are going to be perfect, and I agree that straight up ratings/flaming without suggestions on improvement beyond just OCG "corrections" have to end. I don't like that fact that such a rule should be implemented, but at the same time, I think it has become necessary.

Thoughts?

[/quote']

Harsher punishments for simply rating without elaboration, or stating that there are "errors" in the OCG without giving any corrections, or at least pointing out where the error is, these I agree with. For posting only OCG corrections? I don't think that merits punishment. Its still helping, if only fractionally.

[spoiler=Quote]

I feel I must say this again' date=' as I believe this is an important point that must be made.

Or this...

But still, I try to be helpful, even in the case of that bad dragon card. I realize that it's very hard these days for someone to come up with an original effect, or spend hours searching image boards and f***ing deviantART for a decent picture. My own cards probably will get flamed for having bad pictures because pictures of what I chose to make into cards are hard to find. But I don't really care.

Thoughts?

[/quote']

Harsher punishments for simply rating without elaboration, or stating that there are "errors" in the OCG without giving any corrections, or at least pointing out where the error is, these I agree with. For posting only OCG corrections? I don't think that merits punishment. Its still helping, if only fractionally.

I actually have said rule as a Minor one. Because while it is, it is massively annoying to uphold ALL the time. But this thread has given me great insight to not only your PoV but everyones as well, at least in some form. And I thank you all.

OCG will never be perfect. Neither will anything else on the card.

Also, there will always be some kind of misspelling, typo, stupid pic, bland effect or whatever.

OCG shouldnt even matter anyways. It just makes it look very very real. And maybe also to keep people from saying "horrible OCG".

Also, sometimes the newbies will make fake types or recolrings to make it look "impressive" so they think. Then, people will just say "wow this card is really bad. this is a fail. omg fail/10"

-sigh- of course why do I even bother ranting.. It wont change people's opinions...

The card will never be perfect. Ill leave it at that.. Unless it really is.. But what are the odds of that? 0.1%?

The card will never be perfect. Ill leave it at that.. Unless it really is.. But what are the odds of that? 0.1%?

About the same odds as finding an anime fan who doesn't obsess over Naruto.

But then again, I don't, so the odds of making a perfect card can't be that long either.

But still' date=' I try to be helpful, even in the case of that bad dragon card. I realize that it's very hard these days for someone to come up with an original effect, or spend hours searching image boards and f***ing deviantART for a decent picture. My own cards probably will get flamed for having bad pictures because pictures of what I chose to make into cards are hard to find. But I don't really care.

[/quote']

Yes, I agree good pics and "creative" effects are very very hard to find. Right now I would create a new set...Whats stopping me? I cant find a good pic. All the good pics have text on them. Even though I HAVE already thought up an effect I cant find a good picture. Maybe thats the case why most cards arent decent these days. I rated a 9/10 on that Dragon card because I knew I couldnt blame him for not finding a decent effect. Maybe thats why effects are suffering...Theres only a limited number of effects out there and if you try to create an effect based off another card people will say "thats (insert card name here)'s effect. 6/10.

But still' date=' I try to be helpful, even in the case of that bad dragon card. I realize that it's very hard these days for someone to come up with an original effect, or spend hours searching image boards and f***ing deviantART for a decent picture. My own cards probably will get flamed for having bad pictures because pictures of what I chose to make into cards are hard to find. But I don't really care.

[/quote']

Yes, I agree good pics and "creative" effects are very very hard to find. Right now I would create a new set...Whats stopping me? I cant find a good pic. All the good pics have text on them. Even though I HAVE already thought up an effect I cant find a good picture. Maybe thats the case why most cards arent decent these days. I rated a 9/10 on that Dragon card because I knew I couldnt blame him for not finding a decent effect. Maybe thats why effects are suffering...Theres only a limited number of effects out there and if you try to create an effect based off another card people will say "thats (insert card name here)'s effect. 6/10.

Hey, I'll admit it, I made a couple monster cards with effects that are very similar to cards that already exist. I'm not going to apologize for it either. When I finally post my card set (which is being held back for lack of pictures), I'm going to post very explicit expectations of reviews for my cards. Any flamers and OMGOCGers are going to be reported. Period.

Basically the only reason I want to post the cards anyway is because I want constructive feedback from the decent reviewers of this forum. For the amount of time and effort I've spent perfecting these things, I expect some good feedback and helpful advice.

[/quote']

Creative effects aren't nearly that close to extinction. You just have to figure out how to make them.

As for pictures.....there's always the Written Cards section.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'll go ahead and continue.

Today, I thought I'd visit the general section. Since General says "Talk about anything", I decided why not post a thread. However, since it was about a video game, alot of people then yelled at me for not posting it in the right section. The video game section. I had no freaking clue there was a video game section. Also, this why most newbies get yelled at when they shouldnt. Although its their fault they didnt read what section it was, you still cant blame them. They are newbies. And yes, I still consider myself a newbie. So laugh if you want. I dont care. Newbies dont know where to post or what to do. Sometimes just like me.

[/quote']

Creative effects aren't nearly that close to extinction. You just have to figure out how to make them.

I agree. Anyone can make creative effects. As for me, I never do cards based on other cards. I just make what ever comes into my head and there it is. A unique card. I always make them. So, the problem isn't the effects' quality but actually, the OCG and Grammatical errors makes the card bad. That's the real problem. People shouldn't base the card's rating by the OCG but by the Effect instead.

[/quote']

I agree. Anyone can make creative effects. As for me, I never do cards based on other cards. I just make what ever comes into my head and there it is. A unique card. I always make them. So, the problem isn't the effects' quality but actually, the OCG and Grammatical errors makes the card bad. That's the real problem. People shouldn't base the card's rating by the OCG but by the Effect instead.

To be frank, I think it's pretty hard to make a card with an effect that DOESN'T exist some where else on another card these days. Especially when it comes to useful Summoning effects, ATK/DEF increases, and Direct Damage effects. I mean, let's face it, the TCG (OCG whatever) is running out of effects to use, so there is recycling/retooling like crazy. A case in point is the Life Point damage through DEF monster effect. There are a LOT of cards that have this particular effect. I can name four off the top of my head. Elemental Hero Bladedge, Dark Driceratops, Dark Blade the Dragon Knight, and Mad Sword Beast.

Cyber Dragon is a slightly altered version of The Fiend MegaCyber, Masked Dragon was a reworked Giant Rat (Shining Angel, UFO Turtle, whatever), Twister is a lame MST, Brain Control is a cost version of Change of Heart, and what is Freed the Matchless General if not a Monster version of Reinforcement of the Army? And these are not even recent examples. There were recycling effects even back then.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create an original effect, but it's hard to create a monster that has an original effect that is practical. That's what I'm trying to do, and I've had to resort to re-using effects from cards that already exist and tweaking them slightly. Although, I have come up with some pretty sweet ideas on my own.

I've come too far with these cards to just put them in the written cards section now. I'm more than half done!

[/quote']

To be frank, I think it's pretty hard to make a card with an effect that DOESN'T exist some where else on another card these days. Especially when it comes to useful Summoning effects, ATK/DEF increases, and Direct Damage effects. I mean, let's face it, the TCG (OCG whatever) is running out of effects to use, so there is recycling/retooling like crazy. A case in point is the Life Point damage through DEF monster effect. There are a LOT of cards that have this particular effect. I can name four off the top of my head. Elemental Hero Bladedge, Dark Driceratops, Dark Blade the Dragon Knight, and Mad Sword Beast.

Cyber Dragon is a slightly altered version of The Fiend MegaCyber, Masked Dragon was a reworked Giant Rat (Shining Angel, UFO Turtle, whatever), Twister is a lame MST, Brain Control is a cost version of Change of Heart, and what is Freed the Matchless General if not a Monster version of Reinforcement of the Army? And these are not even recent examples. There were recycling effects even back then.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create an original effect, but it's hard to create a monster that has an original effect that is practical. That's what I'm trying to do, and I've had to resort to re-using effects from cards that already exist and tweaking them slightly. Although, I have come up with some pretty sweet ideas on my own.

I've come too far with these cards to just put them in the written cards section now. I'm more than half done!

Thats why most people complain about "bland effect". I dont see why people should complain about it. I mean its better than "CAST THIS SPELL TO KILL EVERY WARRIOR ON THE BATTLEFIELD AND WIN THE WAR"!. Effects are effects. They are your effects and what you created them with. If anyone has any suggestions on it? GREAT. If they think its a fail. Then they obviously dont know what a yugioh card even is -.- unless it has MAJOR OCG errors.

By the way, I use effects that come into my head too. You know like the cards I have and bought. However, I already know that people will start saying "bland effect" "thats (whoever)'s effect". Thats why my set is at a big holdup. I'm almost finished and nothing but the effect and pic are stopping me. Sad isnt it?

I think the creativity level is going down simply because there are a limited number of effects out there. There are only so many objects in a YuGiOh game a card can target' date=' and only so many ways cards can activate, so after a while in this place, you get to see most of them, so nothing seems new.

[/quote']

Perhaps you are correct.

[/quote']

Thats why most people complain about "bland effect". I dont see why people should complain about it. I mean its better than "CAST THIS SPELL TO KILL EVERY WARRIOR ON THE BATTLEFIELD AND WIN THE WAR"!. Effects are effects. They are your effects and what you created them with. If anyone has any suggestions on it? GREAT. If they think its a fail. Then they obviously dont know what a yugioh card even is -.- unless it has MAJOR OCG errors.

By the way, I use effects that come into my head too. You know like the cards I have and bought. However, I already know that people will start saying "bland effect" "thats (whoever)'s effect". Thats why my set is at a big holdup. I'm almost finished and nothing but the effect and pic are stopping me. Sad isnt it?

I disagree. A bland effect isn't an effect of a card that was already created. A bland effect is an effect that has no particular purpose or was made lazily without thinking.

I see creative effects almost everyday; what we need to create creative cards is to open up our minds and do the impossible. Think of a way it could change the game, for better or for the worse.

I thought about effects for 10 mins. Seriously. I cant come up with anything "creative".

Seriously. What comes into my head is a "dull" effect that people I know for a fact wont like. However, I should just face that fact and go ahead and post it. See if anyone helps. (pfft high doubt it).

Also, I agree with deucalion. Effects could be suffering because there are only so little things in the game that you can target. So hmm.......An effect thats never been used before....Targeting 1 or more out of the 3 objects in the game you can target.

I come up with creative effects about 25% of the time. Odds are obviously against me.

Also, even if I could get a good effect that people will like, I'm gonna end up searching an image board or something for 2 hours. Leaving me at a halt.

It seems effects are slowly being destroyed because one of the following:

1. Many cards have had the effect.

2. It lacks creativity and effort.

I think its number 2... Or it could be a mixture of both.

It really is saddening to see that so many cards (including mine) can't be created and posted because people will always say the effect is too short too ordinary too bland too whatever.

Of course, effects are effects. They can be easily changed and edited. So why complain about it? Just state the OCG errors/edits about the effect and the thread starter will edit them. Simple as can be right.....?

Sorry if this is off-topic' date=' but I'll go ahead and continue.

Today, I thought I'd visit the general section. Since General says "Talk about anything", I decided why not post a thread. However, since it was about a video game, alot of people then yelled at me for not posting it in the right section. The video game section. I had no freaking clue there was a video game section. Also, this why most newbies get yelled at when they shouldnt. [b']Although its their fault they didnt read what section it was, you still cant blame them.[/b] They are newbies. And yes, I still consider myself a newbie. So laugh if you want. I dont care. Newbies dont know where to post or what to do. Sometimes just like me.

Um. Yes I can. Because they didn't read the rules, or the forum description. Its not like being new makes it impossible for them to see the rules, or access them in any way. Saying "oh don't yell at me, I'm new" is a lame excuse. However, General is a bit confusing in that sense, ever since we added the multimedia chunk. Things tend to overlap a bit. That's excusable.

I thought about effects for 10 mins. Seriously. I cant come up with anything "creative".

Seriously. What comes into my head is a "dull" effect that people I know for a fact wont like. However' date=' I should just face that fact and go ahead and post it. See if anyone helps. (pfft high doubt it).

Also, I agree with deucalion. Effects could be suffering because there are only so little things in the game that you can target. So hmm.......An effect thats never been used before....Targeting 1 or more out of the 3 objects in the game you can target.

I come up with creative effects about 25% of the time. Odds are obviously against me.

Also, even if I could get a good effect that people will like, I'm gonna end up searching an image board or something for 2 hours. Leaving me at a halt.

[/quote']

Well here I blame you process, lol. Try finding the image first, and building the card off of that. Its a lot easier.

Sorry if this is off-topic' date=' but I'll go ahead and continue.

Today, I thought I'd visit the general section. Since General says "Talk about anything", I decided why not post a thread. However, since it was about a video game, alot of people then yelled at me for not posting it in the right section. The video game section. I had no freaking clue there was a video game section. Also, this why most newbies get yelled at when they shouldnt. [b']Although its their fault they didnt read what section it was, you still cant blame them.[/b] They are newbies. And yes, I still consider myself a newbie. So laugh if you want. I dont care. Newbies dont know where to post or what to do. Sometimes just like me.

Um. Yes I can. Because they didn't read the rules, or the forum description. Its not like being new makes it impossible for them to see the rules, or access them in any way. Saying "oh don't yell at me, I'm new" is a lame excuse. However, General is a bit confusing in that sense, ever since we added the multimedia chunk. Things tend to overlap a bit. That's excusable.

Ok, that is a lame excuse,but we should still try to help right?

Seriously. What comes into my head is a "dull" effect that people I know for a fact wont like. However' date=' I should just face that fact and go ahead and post it. See if anyone helps. (pfft high doubt it).

[/quote']

Well here I blame you process, lol. Try finding the image first, and building the card off of that. Its a lot easier.

Ok, I will try basing my effect off of a card with a white screen...(as in I cant find any images). Of course, effects are way easier than images in my opinion.

Archived