Official Religion Thread

Flame Dragon

to me religion is something that we can relate to

so we learn from it' date=' it gives us hope.[/color']

while I do agree that religion gives us hope (believing there's something bigger than us out there), It also gives people a wrong sense of entitlement. Just because I stopped playing with my imagenary friend when I was five, and Mr. Jesus is you're best friend, doesn't mean you're any better than me. I don't care if you have the Lord Jesus Christ in your heart, you still work at a f****** McDonalds.

...that is why I belive in the greek gods/goddesses.

you kind of lost it for me here. its called "myth" for a reason.

I belive it because I understand it more than Christianity. And that is part of the reason why I belive it.

yes, I also believe that Hitler didn't like the Jews. I believe it because when he said "Jews are tainting the blood of the Aryan race!", I understood better than "juden sind schädlich das Blut der arischen Rasse!" and that is part of the reason why I believe it...

Lol' date=' "official religion thread". While we're at it, let's have an "official everything thread" too, delete all topics, and prevent any new ones from being made.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

1:i dont understand what your getting at

2:it was a religion to the greeks way back then

3:And are you saying that I hate christanity,

or are you sayng that you hate jews?

1: Short Answer: It pisses me off when people think they're better than everybody else just because they have Christianity.

2: Greek Mythology was a religion? Today’s religion will be the future’s mythology. Both believed at one time by many; but proved wrong by the clever. Myths were already proven wrong a LONG time ago. that's why they are call "Myths". You've been watching too much Hercules, dude.

3: no and no. I'm simply making fun of the absurdity of your quote. not only did it sound stupid (no offense, but read it again), but believing in Mythology is like believing that Pokemon exist, or bealiving that the world's flat. There's simply no logic behind it, and if there was, it would be plainly obvious.

alot of mythology involves really "out there" ways on the nature of the world. for example: a woman cried her eyes out on a peak wating for her husband to return. she cried so much, her tears formed an ocean...yada yada yada, bla bla bla. (not really in greek mythology, but it is an example).

if somebody told you that, would you honestly believe it?

I mean, do you honestly believe that there's an INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

(because if you do those 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time... :twisted: )

and yet, he loves you? That's what you people call love?

Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes.

RIP George Carlin.

Not even freaking close to what Christianity is. Sure, I can understand you disliking people who think they are better than others for specific things.

But, what seperates Myth from Christianity is science can't prove God doesn't exist, and it doesn't matter if Religion can't prove itself, because it relies on faith, believing in what is not seen.

Not only that, there are some things that I believe that tip things in God's favor. I'd say them, but they are cheesier than a lengthy friendship speech (sp?).

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while I do agree that religion gives us hope (believing there's something bigger than us out there), It also gives people a wrong sense of entitlement. Just because I stopped playing with my imagenary friend when I was five, and Mr. Jesus is you're best friend, doesn't mean you're any better than me. I don't care if you have the Lord Jesus Christ in your heart, you still work at a f****** McDonalds.

I belive it because I understand it more than Christianity. And that is part of the reason why I belive it.

yes, I also believe that Hitler didn't like the Jews. I believe it because when he said "Jews are tainting the blood of the Aryan race!", I understood better than "juden sind schädlich das Blut der arischen Rasse!" and that is part of the reason why I believe it...

Lol' date=' "official religion thread". While we're at it, let's have an "official everything thread" too, delete all topics, and prevent any new ones from being made.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

1: Short Answer: It pisses me off when people think they're better than everybody else just because they have Christianity.

2: Greek Mythology was a religion? Today’s religion will be the future’s mythology. Both believed at one time by many; but proved wrong by the clever. Myths were already proven wrong a LONG time ago. that's why they are call "Myths". You've been watching too much Hercules, dude.

3: no and no. I'm simply making fun of the absurdity of your quote. not only did it sound stupid (no offense, but read it again), but believing in Mythology is like believing that Pokemon exist, or bealiving that the world's flat. There's simply no logic behind it, and if there was, it would be plainly obvious.

alot of mythology involves really "out there" ways on the nature of the world. for example: a woman cried her eyes out on a peak wating for her husband to return. she cried so much, her tears formed an ocean...yada yada yada, bla bla bla. (not really in greek mythology, but it is an example).

I mean, do you honestly believe that there's an INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

(because if you do those 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time... :twisted: )

Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes.

RIP George Carlin.

Not even freaking close to what Christianity is.

well its not Mythology, I hope.

Sure, I can understand you disliking people who think they are better than others for specific things. But, what seperates Myth from Christianity is science can't prove God doesn't exist.

Very true. but It can prove that God didn't create the earth.

and it doesn't matter if Religion can't prove itself, because it relies on faith, believing in what is not seen.

well, that's were Atheism comes in, asking "Well, what's the point of that?"

Not only that, there are some things that I believe that tip things in God's favor. I'd say them, but they are cheesier than a lengthy friendship speech (sp?).

I have probably heard worse though. You might need to post them here. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in miracles. and if God does make miracles happen, then you'll probably win the arguement.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

Sure, I can understand you disliking people who think they are better than others for specific things. But, what seperates Myth from Christianity is science can't prove God doesn't exist.

and it doesn't matter if Religion can't prove itself, because it relies on faith, believing in what is not seen.

I have probably heard worse though. You might need to post them here. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in miracles. and if God does make miracles happen, then you'll probably win the arguement.

No, they can't prove that he didn't make the earth because:

1. God could've set up the backround radiation from the Big Bang as a test of faith.

2. God made the Big Bang. Who knows, the Big Bang could've taken 6 days. (Seventh he rested.)

Imagine a young man helping an old lady carry a very heavy box for no apparent reason except for the fact that she needs help. The goodness in people. Now, WHAT Big Bang made THAT?

Imagine someone cheating on a test, yet feeling horrible about it, and admits it. The conscience. Now, WHAT Big Bang made THAT?

The small miracles that happen when you need them most. Now, WHAT FREAKING Big Bang made THAT?

I mean' date=' do you honestly believe that there's an [b']INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY[/b] who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

RIP George Carlin.

Why don't you f***ing properly learn about the thing you try to bash? This entire post is based on misconceptions and stereotypes of Christianity.

well, Catholic School wasn't a great experience for me.

I do respect you for not staying quiet and challenging my beliefs.

my intent was to never "bash" or act like an all knowing prick. If I did come of that way, please don't send God's fury on me.

Anyway, like I mentioned on my first post, I've never said religion was bad. I would never bring up the ever-loving arguement "well, alot of people died for their religion" because that's nothing I know about. I can, however, infer that most of what the Bible says, while some of it is fact, alot of it is complete B.S. (especially the Old Testement)

Like I said, I will never EVER hate religion. It gives people hope, saves alot of lives, and even though I'm not a Jesus freak, I'm damn sure patriotic. This country was founded on religion. I hold their morals as something any decent human being should follow. The reasons why I will never bealieve in the Bible is because of those stereotypes. I gave my heart and soul to Christ when I was 10 in my first communion (acknowledging that God is Christ, what He did for us, examening yourself), but then when I realized what I was doing, knowing that nothing was really there, so when I turned 14, I took them back. Why? because I wanted to question my religion, because I wasn't getting the answers I wanted.

think about it. what if there is no heaven? what if the Gospels are false? what if there is no second coming?

You don't know if its true or not. you were never there.

a waste of time?

and if there is a God, I wouldn't choose to follow him anyway. He should have given me some heads up in the first place. Don't worry, If I'm right nothing will happen. If you are right...then I guess I'm f***ed.

I don't know, I guess people should appriciate they are alive a little more, and be thankful for what they have, instead of chasing an "afterlife".

You say it like Christians don't live a fulfilling life. I don't really see how "chasing an afterlife" means I won't be happy in this one. I can lead a good life (with morals) and still be happy.

And what if there is no God? What have I lost? The chance to lead an amoral life? My God gives me hope, He gives me strength. I don't consider it a waste. I've chosen to follow Him, and I have no regrets.

Sigh....I guess.

God exists. Prove me wrong. :)

God doesn't exist. Prove me wrong.

Well' date=' with your logic, because an omniscient being doesn't exist, the universe and everything in it created itself out of the nothingness, not to mention the fact that these things that create themselves also adhere to incredibly strict and specific principles that also seemed to have come out of the nothingness. I might not be a model catholic, but I still find that logic incredibly hard to believe.

[/quote']

I find it interesting that no one has yet to respond to this post. So I will ask again, what is the logical alternative to some sort of Omniscent being that allows for the entire universe and the laws that govern it to create itself out of nothingness?

Sigh....I guess.

God exists. Prove me wrong. :)

God doesn't exist. Prove me wrong.

Well' date=' with your logic, because an omniscient being doesn't exist, the universe and everything in it created itself out of the nothingness, not to mention the fact that these things that create themselves also adhere to incredibly strict and specific principles that also seemed to have come out of the nothingness. I might not be a model catholic, but I still find that logic incredibly hard to believe.

[/quote']

I find it interesting that no one has yet to respond to this post. So I will ask again, what is the logical alternative to some sort of Omniscent being that allows for the entire universe and the laws that govern it to create itself out of nothingness?

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

1. God could've set up the backround radiation from the Big Bang as a test of faith.

2. God made the Big Bang. Who knows, the Big Bang could've taken 6 days. (Seventh he rested.)

Imagine a young man helping an old lady carry a very heavy box for no apparent reason except for the fact that she needs help. The goodness in people. Now, WHAT Big Bang made THAT?

Imagine someone cheating on a test, yet feeling horrible about it, and admits it. The conscience. Now, WHAT Big Bang made THAT?

The small miracles that happen when you need them most. Now, WHAT FREAKING Big Bang made THAT?

the question is how did he do it? Besides saying he is "flipping God, he can do anything", how do you know that God could have created something out of nothing? I find that is the biggest flaw in the Big Bang Theory. I have not read the Bible in a long time, so please forgive me if this is not exact, but does it say "God made a huge explosion that lasted seven days and created the whole universe...that still expanding."

so exactly, who knows?

our conscious was NOT part of the big bang. I'm not a stupid Far-Left Wing, if that's what your thinking. but you don't have a conscious JUST because of religion either. If I grew up all my life being taught that rape, murder, stealing, and cheating is good, how do you think I would have turned out? (of course, assuming I was raised that way, I would have to be completely isolated from the world). I think I have mentioned before that I do value Christianity's morals. I think it was society, religion, and ideology that shape who we are today.

You say it like Christians don't live a fulfilling life. I don't really see how "chasing an afterlife" means I won't be happy in this one. I can lead a good life (with morals) and still be happy.

And what if there is no God? What have I lost? The chance to lead an amoral life? My God gives me hope, He gives me strength. I don't consider it a waste. I've chosen to follow Him, and I have no regrets.

wut?

I only say this because, your priority in life as a Christian is to follow God with all your heart. what do you gain from that? I always though it was join Him on eternal life. I have friends who are Christian, and just like I respect their believes, they respect mine. (and they don't lead empty lives full of morals either.)

It was your choice to follow God, it was my choice not to. having a choice in the first place makes us individuals and human beings. Its great that we have choices like that, because alot of people don't get to have that luxury.

Religion was created for the sole purpose to brainwash people that there is consequences for doing bad deeds. This is so people don't go around killing others' date=' even though there are no consequences outside of government, slave labor, etc.

[/quote']

If you look at ancient culture, religion is almost always tied to the government.

What point are you trying to make with that post?

Religion was created. It wasn't because God made Adam and Eve and some monk dude wrote the Bible. No. Religion was created to serve a purpose. It acted as sort of a magician, luring you in and making you follow whatever it says.

This, however, is not always a bad thing. But you are believing in something false. The reason I say it's not a bad thing is because you feel you are going to get a fake consequence if you sin, e.g. kill.

Moses is credited with writing the first 5 books of the Bible. You know what I dislike? The complete lack of knowledge of the religion you bash. If you want to insult my God, at least learn about Him properly first.

Wow, now your sarcasm detector isn't working.

I'll let you figure this out yourself.

Believing in God is just about as rational as believing that the universe came to be out of nothing. Meaning both are irrational.

Religion was created for a purpose. It wasn't just there with Adam and Eve and John and Cain. It was CREATED.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

the question is how did he do it? Besides saying he is "flipping God, he can do anything", how do you know that God could have created something out of nothing? I find that is the biggest flaw in the Big Bang Theory. I have not read the Bible in a long time, so please forgive me if this is not exact, but does it say "God made a huge explosion that lasted seven days and created the whole universe...that still expanding."

so exactly, who knows?

our conscious was NOT part of the big bang. I'm not a stupid Far-Left Wing, if that's what your thinking. but you don't have a conscious JUST because of religion either. If I grew up all my life being taught that rape, murder, stealing, and cheating is good, how do you think I would have turned out? (of course, assuming I was raised that way, I would have to be completely isolated from the world). I think I have mentioned before that I do value Christianity's morals. I think it was society, religion, and ideology that shape who we are today.

wut?

I only say this because, your priority in life as a Christian is to follow God with all your heart. what do you gain from that? I always though it was join Him on eternal life. I have friends who are Christian, and just like I respect their believes, they respect mine. (and they don't lead empty lives full of morals either.)

It was your choice to follow God, it was my choice not to. having a choice in the first place makes us individuals and human beings. Its great that we have choices like that, because alot of people don't get to have that luxury.

But a god by definition is divine and perfect. God can do anything, because there had to be SOMEONE to do SOMETHING. No human is powerful enough to create the universe. No animal is smart enough to create the universe. As for everything just HAPPENING to be there, and just HAPPENING to do the specific things that they do, is also irrational.

Best explanation = God.

The conscience is still there for people who have been raised like that, it's just not affected by anything because it's buried so deep in the things they do and think. Same with the good in people, for those who have lived the life you explained.

And one last note: Certain things do specific things in this world. WHO gave these things the abilities and jobs they have? Humans don't have the power, and animals don't have the brains.

Best explanation = God.

I'm a Russian Orthodox Christian so my views on Christianity are different from most.

1. The bible wasn't written by 1 person. It was and is a collection of stories that were written by many people throughout the ages. The Council of Nicaea selected the books that they wanted while others were omitted. Certain books were taken out for good reasons. Other books were taken out for ignorant reasons. Mostly, if the book was at all empowering to women it was excluded. If the book gave tribute to the Holy Spirit, Sophia, it was excluded.

2. Most of the people who you dislike due to their religion do not know the first thing about their doctrine. Certain people (Most People) are only in a religion because they do not want to go to hell. They fear the afterlife so they take a religion. Rare people, like me, are in a religion because they actually believe in God and their own mind.

3. I never force my beliefs on others, like most American Christians. I do not believe that if you aren't a Christian you are going to hell. You enter hell for what you do not what you think. God doesn't condemn people you condemn yourself.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

so exactly, who knows?

wut?

But a god by definition is divine and perfect. God can do anything, because there had to be SOMEONE to do SOMETHING.

No, that's the defenition we gave God. Simply saying that God created the Big Bang is not enough.

No human is powerful enough to create the universe. No animal is smart enough to create the universe. As for everything just HAPPENING to be there, and just HAPPENING to do the specific things that they do, is also irrational.

Like what? like eating, sleeping, living, breathing, etc?

I don't get it. wasn't that all free will? Our choices to develop ourself as people? Not all societies believed in one God, and they use to function fine (minus the sacrificing, wars, and use of slaves of course) I know how to function, I know I have free will. The fact that all your life was pre-determined by some higher being we can't or haven't seen just is a little crazy to me.

Best explanation = God.

I think the best explanation is "Us". God didn't help me in anything I have accomplished today.

The conscience is still there for people who have been raised like that, it's just not affected by anything because it's buried so deep in the things they do and think. Same with the good in people, for those who have lived the life you explained.

so you think people are born with a conscience? Do you think people are born with good in their heart?

And one last note: Certain things do specific things in this world. WHO gave these things the abilities and jobs they have? Humans don't have the power, and animals don't have the brains.

Best explanation = God.

all he did was give us a pep talk. We did those things, we are that awesome.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

so exactly, who knows?

wut?

But a god by definition is divine and perfect. God can do anything, because there had to be SOMEONE to do SOMETHING.

No, that's the defenition we gave God. Simply saying that God created the Big Bang is not enough.

No human is powerful enough to create the universe. No animal is smart enough to create the universe. As for everything just HAPPENING to be there, and just HAPPENING to do the specific things that they do, is also irrational.

I don't get it. wasn't that all free will? Our choices to develop ourself as people? Not all societies believed in one God, and they use to function fine (minus the sacrificing, wars, and use of slaves of course) I know how to function, I know I have free will. The fact that all your life was pre-determined by some higher being we can't or haven't seen just is a little crazy to me.

Best explanation = God.

I think the best explanation is "Us". God didn't help me in anything I have accomplished today.

so you think people are born with a conscience? Do you think people are born with good in their heart?

Best explanation = God.

Yes, I do believe that people are born with those things. Many times, they are covered up, by our own business, and the things we do.

And your first statement is opinional. I believe God gave himself such a definition, because he IS that definition. Some believed in God and that he is divine and perfect, some didn't.

Believe it or not, Christianity does not say that your life is pre-determined (I don't think.) You have the free will to choose how your life will turn out.

I'm talking about the Big Bang. The galaxies just HAPPENED to be really close together and caused an explosion, things being close together just HAPPENED to mean that combustion builds from the heat. Things just HAPPENED to exist the way they are.

No.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

so exactly, who knows?

wut?

Best explanation = God.

Best explanation = God.

Yes, I do believe that people are born with those things. Many times, they are covered up, by our own business, and the things we do.

And your first statement is opinional. I believe God gave himself such a definition, because he IS that definition. Some believed in God and that he is divine and perfect, some didn't.

Believe it or not, Christianity does not say that your life is pre-determined (I don't think.) You have the free will to choose how your life will turn out.

I'm talking about the Big Bang. The galaxies just HAPPENED to be really close together and caused an explosion, things being close together just HAPPENED to mean that combustion builds from the heat. Things just HAPPENED to exist the way they are.

No.

wasn't it bound to happen? God is not the only answer we have.

simply saying God is the end all, be all creator will make it bealievable as ghost stories or alien abductions.

The Bible is a non-fiction book that is right about everything. In fact' date=' we all are descendants of Adam and Eve, and the fact that some of us aren't Christian is purely a mistake in God's plan.

[/quote']

People who haven't read the bible definitely know what its message is.

I am obviously going to make claims about the Bible and bash the Bible before I read the Bible, or any part of the Bible, for that matter.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

so exactly, who knows?

wut?

Best explanation = God.

Best explanation = God.

No.

simply saying God is the end all, be all creator will make it bealievable as ghost stories or alien abductions.

True, there are other explanations that could be true. But the one I believe in is God. And more importantly, he cannot be disproven, and Him creating the universe can't either.

And I believe he is THE almighty creator, and is everything that lives because he breathed himself into everything that is alive. And millions more support this around the world.

God is obviously real, and the Bible is 100% non-fiction.

Adam and Eve populated the world, and inbreeding did not lead to mental disorders.

God created himself, because that is logical.

Every theory proposed that tries to prove God wrong is automatically incorrect.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

RIP George Carlin.

so exactly, who knows?

wut?

Best explanation = God.

Best explanation = God.

No.

True, there are other explanations that could be true. But the one I believe in is God. And more importantly, he cannot be disproven, and Him creating the universe can't either.

And I believe he is THE almighty creator, and is everything that lives because he breathed himself into everything that is alive. And millions more support this around the world.

I won't argue with that at all. Religion gives people hope and faith, that's why its not a bad thing at all.

sometimes I want to believe there's something bigger than me out there, but the idea seems to surreal for me.

*warning, I'm about to get all sappy on you*

I always told myself, if I ever get married and have children, I'll rise them as christians and start practicing christianity again (just like my dad did for me). I'll believe in God if I could see myself in my kid's eye. That's the answer my dad gave me when I asked him how do you know God exists.

but marriage and kids are gonna come a LONG time from now. so until then, call me an unbelieving aitheist jerk.

now that's a debate for ya!

God is obviously real' date=' and the Bible is 100% non-fiction.

Adam and Eve populated the world, and inbreeding did not lead to mental disorders.

God created himself, because that is logical.

Every theory proposed that tries to prove God wrong is automatically incorrect.

[/quote']

I like how you're still getting it wrong after sarcastically saying you didn't understand what you read..

Archived