Official Religion Thread

Flame Dragon

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh....I guess.

God exists. Prove me wrong. :)

God doesn't exist. Prove me wrong.

God exists because these people who go by the bible have been taught that he exists and that when they die they will go to heaven when their lord lives. That's it.... Nothing else to it... not a big deal....either... everyone will have an opinion on this... But my questions and statements aren't far from Horus and Dark... How do we know God exists? What about all the other religion stuff?

The Bible is always right.

Likewise' date=' the book I wrote about the Year 3001 is also always right.

[/quote']

Not always it's not

and you wrote a book? Pics or it didn't happen Darky-boy

Sigh....I guess.

Circular Logic.

No' date=' merely a proposition. Albeit a baseless one. But the same would apply to OMGAKITTY. In this case, OMG also carries the Burden of Proof.

An example of circular logic (Also known as the Fallacy of Begging the Question.) would be: "You can't give me a C, I'm an A-student." "God exists because the Bible tells me so; the Bible is right because God wrote it." "If a smoker wants to quit, he can quit as long as he really wants to." etc. etc.

[/quote']

I define it as a statement that cannot be beaten, nor proven.

That's called the Argument from Ignorance, or Negative Proof. ;) And yes, that is essentially what they were doing.

Sigh....I guess.

Circular Logic.

No' date=' merely a proposition. Albeit a baseless one. But the same would apply to OMGAKITTY. In this case, OMG also carries the Burden of Proof.

An example of circular logic (Also known as the Fallacy of Begging the Question.) would be: "You can't give me a C, I'm an A-student." "God exists because the Bible tells me so; the Bible is right because God wrote it." "If a smoker wants to quit, he can quit as long as he really wants to." etc. etc.

[/quote']

I define it as a statement that cannot be beaten, nor proven.

That's called the Argument from Ignorance, or Negative Proof. ;) And yes, that is essentially what they were doing.

thanks lol

Lol, "official religion thread". While we're at it, let's have an "official everything thread" too, delete all topics, and prevent any new ones from being made.

Oh, and Christianity's about sacrificing your soul and beliefs for an increase your lifespan because life without a plethora of delusions makes one want to kill oneself. Most other Religions are more or less of the same, except Buddhism, as Buddhism is the only one that actually goes out and tells you it's only to escape reality and how depressing it is. The others try to masquerade themselves as being about "so much more", but that's what it really boils down to.

to me religion is something that we can relate to

so we learn from it' date=' it gives us hope.[/color']

while I do agree that religion gives us hope (believing there's something bigger than us out there), It also gives people a wrong sense of entitlement. Just because I stopped playing with my imagenary friend when I was five, and Mr. Jesus is you're best friend, doesn't mean you're any better than me. I don't care if you have the Lord Jesus Christ in your heart, you still work at a f****** McDonalds.

...that is why I belive in the greek gods/goddesses.

you kind of lost it for me here. its called "myth" for a reason.

I belive it because I understand it more than Christianity. And that is part of the reason why I belive it.

yes, I also believe that Hitler didn't like the Jews. I believe it because when he said "Jews are tainting the blood of the Aryan race!", I understood better than "juden sind schädlich das Blut der arischen Rasse!" and that is part of the reason why I believe it...

Lol' date=' "official religion thread". While we're at it, let's have an "official everything thread" too, delete all topics, and prevent any new ones from being made.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

Sigh....I guess.

Well, with your logic, because an omniscient being doesn't exist, the universe and everything in it created itself out of the nothingness, not to mention the fact that these things that create themselves also adhere to incredibly strict and specific principles that also seemed to have come out of the nothingness. I might not be a model catholic, but I still find that logic incredibly hard to believe.

You can prove everything in the bible with science. Even the possible existance in God' date=' as Icyblue had showed me the other day and I'm sure he'd be happy to post.

[/quote']

That's an entirely useless statement.

Using science, I can prove that it's possible for the Flying Spaghetti Monster to exist. It's simple, go look up String Theory and the current scientific understanding of the ten dimensions.

Neither will science ever disprove the possibility of a god or gods. It may continue to cut out support from under the feet of religion. But really, that just means that science is taking over the role that religion once held: Explaining things. Religion has another role to play in the form of a bringer of hope, and that is something that science will never be able to fully usurp.

This being said, it is totally possible to live a fulfilling and happy life that is devoid of any religious feeling.

About the Bible thing: You can interpret Genesis as a metaphor, but you have to be a bit more abstract then that. The "order of creation" in Genesis was all wrong, and multiple logical leaps were made. This isn't even getting into all the contradictions in the Adam and Eve story. Genesis was meant metaphorically, of course, but more in the sense of "God is responsible for all of creation" than "God made a big explosion in the sky."

It would be interesting to find out if the Genesis story was the result of normal mythological formation (some kid asked his dad how everything happened, dad gave vague answer meant to be a metaphor. The kid passed it on to his children, and eventually it became more embellished and interpreted more literally.) or the result of an early priest actually believing that that was the way it happened. (drugs? insanity?)

Or, of course, it could be the result of a direct lie, though really there's no reason to believe that.

Anyways, I think I rambled enough. ;)

I never said it was a metaphor, i said that you have to be smart to put two and two together by actually thinking about all possiblilites in the text. That, and the order of creation WAS all correct in the book of genisis.

And, if it were a lie, why the hell would over 90% of americans believe in God?

You can prove everything in the bible with science. Even the possible existance in God' date=' as Icyblue had showed me the other day and I'm sure he'd be happy to post.

[/quote']

Using science, I can prove that it's possible for the Flying Spaghetti Monster to exist. It's simple, go look up String Theory and the current scientific understanding of the ten dimensions.

Neither will science ever disprove the possibility of a god or gods. It may continue to cut out support from under the feet of religion. But really, that just means that science is taking over the role that religion once held: Explaining things. Religion has another role to play in the form of a bringer of hope, and that is something that science will never be able to fully usurp.

This being said, it is totally possible to live a fulfilling and happy life that is devoid of any religious feeling.

About the Bible thing: You can interpret Genesis as a metaphor, but you have to be a bit more abstract then that. The "order of creation" in Genesis was all wrong, and multiple logical leaps were made. This isn't even getting into all the contradictions in the Adam and Eve story. Genesis was meant metaphorically, of course, but more in the sense of "God is responsible for all of creation" than "God made a big explosion in the sky."

It would be interesting to find out if the Genesis story was the result of normal mythological formation (some kid asked his dad how everything happened, dad gave vague answer meant to be a metaphor. The kid passed it on to his children, and eventually it became more embellished and interpreted more literally.) or the result of an early priest actually believing that that was the way it happened. (drugs? insanity?)

Or, of course, it could be the result of a direct lie, though really there's no reason to believe that.

I never said it was a metaphor, i said that you have to be smart to put two and two together by actually thinking about all possiblilites in the text. That, and the order of creation WAS all correct in the book of genisis.

That's horrible logic. If what Hitler did was wrong, why did 90% of Germany follow him? -__________-

Lol' date=' "official religion thread". While we're at it, let's have an "official everything thread" too, delete all topics, and prevent any new ones from being made.

[/quote']

This was probably more of an attempt to get Horus to STFU, but I still kinda agree.

Oh, and Christianity's about sacrificing your soul and beliefs for an increase your lifespan because life without a plethora of delusions makes one want to kill oneself.

Can't really say that for certain, and I wouldn't call attempting to be a good samaritan and stuff like that selling your soul and beliefs when that's what you belief.

Most other Religions are more or less of the same, except Buddhism, as Buddhism is the only one that actually goes out and tells you it's only to escape reality and how depressing it is. The others try to masquerade themselves as being about "so much more", but that's what it really boils down to.

Like I said before, you can't say that for certain. While most religions probably were made for that reason, some may have been made to manipulate the people more easily, explain how things are as they are, and perhaps because they truly believed in what they reported.

[/quote']

That's horrible logic. If what Hitler did was wrong, why did 90% of Germany follow him? -__________-

True, but there is a crowd wisdom theory where the average guess of a crowd will be closer to the actual correct answer of something such as weight than any professional of that object could get it :D

[/quote']

True, but there is a crowd wisdom theory where the average guess of a crowd will be closer to the actual correct answer of something such as weight than any professional of that object could get it :D

....For guessing weight? That's just a numbers game. You take the average guess of a 1000 people, of course its going to be closer than a single guess by a "professional weight guess", which...is kind of a BS profession to begin with.

while I do agree that religion gives us hope (believing there's something bigger than us out there), It also gives people a wrong sense of entitlement. Just because I stopped playing with my imagenary friend when I was five, and Mr. Jesus is you're best friend, doesn't mean you're any better than me. I don't care if you have the Lord Jesus Christ in your heart, you still work at a f****** McDonalds.

I belive it because I understand it more than Christianity. And that is part of the reason why I belive it.

yes, I also believe that Hitler didn't like the Jews. I believe it because when he said "Jews are tainting the blood of the Aryan race!", I understood better than "juden sind schädlich das Blut der arischen Rasse!" and that is part of the reason why I believe it...

[/quote']

You're my hero.

1:i dont understand what your getting at

2:it was a religion to the greeks way back then

3:And are you saying that I hate christanity,

or are you sayng that you hate jews?

Neither statements can be proven. I think most of the people with IQ's of 5 or higher have established that already. And yet when I troll on a religious forum' date=' people say they have proof in the form of the Bible. Are they morons or are they trolling me back?

[/quote']

I have not received a proper answer.

Sigh....I guess.

I asked you first.

I understand. I responded to your question with a question of my own.

[/quote']

You're my hero.

1:i dont understand what your getting at

2:it was a religion to the greeks way back then

3:And are you saying that I hate christanity,

or are you sayng that you hate jews?

1: Short Answer: It pisses me off when people think they're better than everybody else just because they have Christianity.

2: Greek Mythology was a religion? Today’s religion will be the future’s mythology. Both believed at one time by many; but proved wrong by the clever. Myths were already proven wrong a LONG time ago. that's why they are call "Myths". You've been watching too much Hercules, dude.

3: no and no. I'm simply making fun of the absurdity of your quote. not only did it sound stupid (no offense, but read it again), but believing in Mythology is like believing that Pokemon exist, or bealiving that the world's flat. There's simply no logic behind it, and if there was, it would be plainly obvious.

alot of mythology involves really "out there" ways on the nature of the world. for example: a woman cried her eyes out on a peak wating for her husband to return. she cried so much, her tears formed an ocean...yada yada yada, bla bla bla. (not really in greek mythology, but it is an example).

if somebody told you that, would you honestly believe it?

I mean, do you honestly believe that there's an INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

(because if you do those 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time... :twisted: )

and yet, he loves you? That's what you people call love?

Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes.

RIP George Carlin.

Religion was created for the sole purpose to brainwash people that there is consequences for doing bad deeds. This is so people don't go around killing others' date=' even though there are no consequences outside of government, slave labor, etc.

[/quote']

If you look at ancient culture, religion is almost always tied to the government.

I have a religion, and I respect other religions. I also respect Athiesm (sp? I totally screwed that up.)

*glances at Dark*

What I do not respect, is the actions of those who continue to bash another religion. Or religion in general.

*glances at Dark*

In retrospect, sometimes what seems like religion bashing is actually people voicing their opinion about it, which just happens to be negative.

I believe Religion is a way to explain the unexplainable. No matter what technology you have, there will always be things without a clear, logical, or explainable answer. IMO.

My 1 cent. I ran out of pennies, so yeah.

Religion was created for the sole purpose to brainwash people that there is consequences for doing bad deeds. This is so people don't go around killing others' date=' even though there are no consequences outside of government, slave labor, etc.

[/quote']

If you look at ancient culture, religion is almost always tied to the government.

What point are you trying to make with that post?

Religion was created. It wasn't because God made Adam and Eve and some monk dude wrote the Bible. No. Religion was created to serve a purpose. It acted as sort of a magician, luring you in and making you follow whatever it says.

This, however, is not always a bad thing. But you are believing in something false. The reason I say it's not a bad thing is because you feel you are going to get a fake consequence if you sin, e.g. kill.

[/quote']

What point are you trying to make with that post?

Religion was created. It wasn't because God made Adam and Eve and some monk dude wrote the Bible. No. Religion was created to serve a purpose. It acted as sort of a magician, luring you in and making you follow whatever it says.

This, however, is not always a bad thing. But you are believing in something false. The reason I say it's not a bad thing is because you feel you are going to get a fake consequence if you sin, e.g. kill.

Moses is credited with writing the first 5 books of the Bible. You know what I dislike? The complete lack of knowledge of the religion you bash. If you want to insult my God, at least learn about Him properly first.

I mean' date=' do you honestly believe that there's an [b']INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY[/b] who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

(because if you do those 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time... :twisted: )

Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes.

RIP George Carlin.

Why don't you funking properly learn about the thing you try to bash? This entire post is based on misconceptions and stereotypes of Christianity.

I mean' date=' do you honestly believe that there's an [b']INVISIBLE MAN....LIVING IN THE SKY[/b] who watches everything you do? every minute of every day? And that there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do?

RIP George Carlin.

Why don't you f***ing properly learn about the thing you try to bash? This entire post is based on misconceptions and stereotypes of Christianity.

well, Catholic School wasn't a great experience for me.

I do respect you for not staying quiet and challenging my beliefs.

my intent was to never "bash" or act like an all knowing prick. If I did come of that way, please don't send God's fury on me.

Anyway, like I mentioned on my first post, I've never said religion was bad. I would never bring up the ever-loving arguement "well, alot of people died for their religion" because that's nothing I know about. I can, however, infer that most of what the Bible says, while some of it is fact, alot of it is complete B.S. (especially the Old Testement)

Like I said, I will never EVER hate religion. It gives people hope, saves alot of lives, and even though I'm not a Jesus freak, I'm damn sure patriotic. This country was founded on religion. I hold their morals as something any decent human being should follow. The reasons why I will never bealieve in the Bible is because of those stereotypes. I gave my heart and soul to Christ when I was 10 in my first communion (acknowledging that God is Christ, what He did for us, examening yourself), but then when I realized what I was doing, knowing that nothing was really there, so when I turned 14, I took them back. Why? because I wanted to question my religion, because I wasn't getting the answers I wanted.

think about it. what if there is no heaven? what if the Gospels are false? what if there is no second coming?

You don't know if its true or not. you were never there.

a waste of time?

and if there is a God, I wouldn't choose to follow him anyway. He should have given me some heads up in the first place. Don't worry, If I'm right nothing will happen. If you are right...then I guess I'm funked.

I don't know, I guess people should appriciate they are alive a little more, and be thankful for what they have, instead of chasing an "afterlife".

Archived