YCM Awards of 2011 (Discussions and Questions)

Fusion X. Denver

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patience lol. Remember that most YCM Members have School and College to attend to. The COuncil can't do much right now but we would appriciate your patience.

I'm being serious, you know. The graphics team essentially gave up on the project for that exact same reason and from lack of co-ordination within the council itself.

I'm being serious, you know. The graphics team essentially gave up on the project for that exact same reason and from lack of co-ordination within the council itself.

We haven't given up on it and it has nothing to do with the council itself. If we don't have time to work, then we just don't have time. I barely have much free time in my day as it is, without having to worry about YCM.

Excuse me? Lack of Co-ordination? Apart from the whole Shattered Sky thing, I think these awards went great :P

But then if we had less, people would complain that the Awards were stale and needed to be spiced up XD

@ Armadilloz: That's usually the case, Yep.

Half of the general awards were generally not needed and just increased the stress and workload of the graphic designers. Example being the one which was the person most likely to rule the world. :l

I must agree with Koko. There were too many pointless awards.

All right. Come March, how about we have 10 Awards? Then the Awards will be too boring XD A few of the Awards this time were actually new and were to avoid the repetition of the previous ones. I'll admit that Most likely to rule the World was a little Cheesy. But Awards like Most Devoted and Biggest Chatterbox are well deserved :D

Chatterbox was added as we now have the Chatbox. As I said, I think that quite a few of the New Ones worked and we will all learn what ones to take out and what ones to keep. I have a few ideas up my sleeve after being a Council member that will surely make the Awards even more fun.

There was too many awards. Such a mass workload means that workers are less determined to do it.

The 2010 Awards had 26 awards. While a few were dropped on account of having 1 vote ties, every single one of them was done by Overdrive.

One person.

When I gathered the team together, I intended to gather a big team solely so no one person would have a massive workload.

I started the Awards on the 31st of August, right before school started. I assumed everyone who signed up would take into consideration the busy schedule they would soon have and be able to work around it.

Guess not.

The 2010 Awards had 26 awards. While a few were dropped on account of having 1 vote ties, every single one of them was done by Overdrive.

One person.

When I gathered the team together, I intended to gather a big team solely so no one person would have a massive workload.

I started the Awards on the 31st of August, right before school started. I assumed everyone who signed up would take into consideration the busy schedule they would soon have and be able to work around it.

Guess not.

Personally, the time period slot as a whole is terrible. How about holding it closer to Christmas instead? And only get people who won't be doing much over the period of Christmas, not people who will go on holiday and such.

Also, you bringing into account a completely different member isn't helping your case any. Maybe they wasn't busy with school? Perhaps they had more free time than most? Who knows, but one way or another it should be rather obvious by now the outcome of these awards.

I didn't think the time slot would be too much of a problem because any school that gives their kids a heavy workload the first week or two of school is inhumane.

But yeah, during holiday season would probably be a smart move next one.

Overdrive made them during mid-December, they started the 10th and the awards were presented two weeks later on the 23rd. I'd be guessing he was in school during that time, or at least until some day a little before the 23rd. Schools usually cram a lot of work during that time before winter vacation, or at least that's how it's been for me.

You make a good point though, one person could have more free time than others or be able to juggle more tasks.

I do want to say though:

However, only post if you're sure you'll be able to spare time to make these. Of course it'll take some time for all of you to make them after the Awards are over, but I don't want to be waiting on any one person when everyone else has finished. You WILL have time after the Awards to make these, but your quickness and efficiency would be greatly appreciated.

I mentioned that in the GFX recruit thread I made in Requests. Although, I did say they would have time to make them, just that quickness and efficiency would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't think a month would be the amount of time they needed to get anything done, but perhaps this serves as a lesson for the next awards: recruit a team way beforehand and be specific with each member on deadlines and their availability and such.

So GFX team, I know you've got busy lives of your own and it's hard to juggle something like this, I get it. But I believe in the you that believes in me that believes in- each of you can circumvent your circumstances. You all split the work evenly, right? Maybe if you each worked on 1 award once a day, you'd finish them all within 1-2 weeks and we'd be fine with that.

If that doesn't work, hit me up, maybe I can help. I'm absolutely offering if you need it.

Unfortunately, the awards have been strangely hard to make for us; the GFX team.

Upon changing the design a few times, we then got stuck on concept for a bit. You can expect them. Soon-ish.

Sorry for a delay, Denver. For next time, yes, a deadline and perhaps you giving us some ideas would be 10x more helpful. Or whoever is in charge of next time anyway. I think it's good to take a more proactive role in the whole organization, GFX included. No need to get into the specifics, but at least overview how we're going every so often, like how a Stage Director in a big Broadway/West End play would do.

Unfortunately, the awards have been strangely hard to make for us; the GFX team.

Upon changing the design a few times, we then got stuck on concept for a bit. You can expect them. Soon-ish.

Sorry for a delay, Denver. For next time, yes, a deadline and perhaps you giving us some ideas would be 10x more helpful. Or whoever is in charge of next time anyway. I think it's good to take a more proactive role in the whole organization, GFX included. No need to get into the specifics, but at least overview how we're going every so often, like how a Stage Director in a big Broadway/West End play would do.

(psst, J-Max, take notes here)

Alright, much appreciated and sorry for the lack of direction, that's my fault. It sounds like you guys figured something out, so we can wait patiently, but if you're still unsure or stuck on something, let me know and I can help work something out with you guys, for sure.

Archived