KORRA HAS ARRIVED!

Astro Dude

You guys know Korra doesnt OFFICIALLY air for another 2 weeks? And you've seen leaked footage? right? k, just checking. This is something you can support just by turning on your TV, so all of you should.

Now to be a hypocrite because I went and watched the leaks too. AWESOME STUFF.

Tenzin's oldest child is hilarious.

Korra's character is interesting. Cocky with a dash of heroic. And Rebellious. Very rebellious.

Tenzin is great. I wanted him to be the Iroh-expy, but he is much less comic-relief and more strict. I think it works, along with his family bonds and the relationship with Korra.

I really have no complaints. The show has been hyped for a long time and so far it's delivered.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='King of Games' timestamp='1333333789' post='5898378']
You guys know Korra doesnt OFFICIALLY air for another 2 weeks? And you've seen leaked footage? right? k, just checking. This is something you can support just by turning on your TV, so all of you should.

Now to be a hypocrite because I went and watched the leaks too. AWESOME STUFF.

Tenzin's oldest child is hilarious.

Korra's character is interesting. Cocky with a dash of heroic. And Rebellious. Very rebellious.

Tenzin is great. I wanted him to be the Iroh-expy, but he is much less comic-relief and more strict. I think it works, along with his family bonds and the relationship with Korra.

I really have no complaints. The show has been hyped for a long time and so far it's delivered.
[/quote]

I think the Korranation streams were legitimate and through Nick? They were only up for a weekend as part of their promotion because they got 10k followers or something.

But yeah, definitely tuning in during the actual premier as well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Phantom Roxas' timestamp='1334447163' post='5913917']
So I waited for the TV premiere before watching this, and it was amazing. I support Makorra, although I was initially for Korra/Bolin. Even though we saw little of Amon, I think he's going to be a great villain.
[/quote]

Makorra yessssssss

[quote name='HijackAttack' timestamp='1334474513' post='5914304']
Korra can already FIrebend and Airbend, in addition to Waterbending.
WTF?
It's going to cut down on the story. Alot.
[/quote]

I disagree, if they did that, they'd just be rehashing the original Avatar's plot with new characters, and no one wants that.
Who knows if Korra will even be as long as the original, but I'm confident they'll be able to give us viewers a great experience either way.

Well, think about it, Shardow.
Aang lived in the temple for the first twelve years of his life, never being told he was the Avatar, and therefor, never learning that he can learn the other elements at all.
He proceeded to master them all within a year.

Korra learned to use the first three when she was only a few years old, whether or not she new she was the Avatar beforehand, we are not sure.
It has taken her many-a-year to, quote "Master" the first three elements.

I doubt any of them could've known she was the avatar either until she started bending multiple elements. It's not like her parents were monks who knew a lot on the subject like those of the Air Temple. The only option being that she started bending all on her own, at a very young age, possibly without any sort of teaching after she started.

Also, I want to see her metalbend, darn it.

[quote name='HijackAttack' timestamp='1334474513' post='5914304']
Korra can already FIrebend and Airbend, in addition to Waterbending.
WTF?
It's going to cut down on the story. Alot.
[/quote]

The conflict is the anti-benders, and that is what the story will revolve around. Having her need to master 3 elements would detract from that.

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1334509145' post='5914584']
Really? Where'd you hear that?
And now the fanbase will never stop comparing it to anime...
[/quote]

Mike and Bryan have consistently referenced the influence the anime aesthetic has had on their work (specifically mentioning Evangelion). This show gets animated in Korea. It is, for all intents and purposes, an anime.

Along with that, I feel they are one of the few prominant western creative forces that actually understands the nuances of anime. The show doesn't feel forced.

Just because it's animated in Korea isn't enough to make it anime.

As for how skilled Korra is, people would have known that the next Avatar would be from the Water tribe, and it's possible that like with Aang, the Water tribe has a method of determining who the Avatar is. There's also the fact that the Order of the White Lotus was searching around for the Avatar, presumably because the Avatar needs time to show their ability to bend multiple elements. It's not a matter of whether Aang sucked or if Korra is a prodigy, but rather an example of how the different nations deal with being the home of the Avatar.

If we want to get really techinical, "anime" is short for "animation", so any form of animated show would be considered anime. And if we want to talk about the visual aesthetics, ATLA fulfilled that as well. If you want to be a complete purist and [i]insist[/i] that a show has to come from Japan in order for it to be anime (which, I think a lot of anime are animated in Korea as well?), then this is the closest a western show will ever come to being one.

And you're also disregarding all animation that comes out of Korea and China.

Anime is generally supposed to refer to any animated work which originated in Japan. Japanese and American animations are both made in Korea at times, but I prefer to look at things from where they were conceived since the animation studio is just working under their direction. Where something was made shouldn't really matter that much, but people on the internet tend to only like anime and what they consider to be anime, so I guess to them it does.

And it isn't style that defines anime, that's just the Japanese entrenching themselves in repetitive drawing styles.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/G15vP.jpg[/img]
There are animes that break from pace, and good for them.

As for Korra, so far it's pretty good, but some of these "technical advancements" are reflecting negatively on the show and if they don't add depth to and validate Amon's cause that'll be disappointing, though I'm sure at the very least they'll be adding depth to it which may bring about some validation in turn.

Archived