May now be locked - The Original Chance Format

[quote name='slayer_supreme' timestamp='1352525375' post='6065433']
I guess you should say that Machina decks are [i]at least[/i] tier 2. Also, is sleepy going to be making the roster? I can always make it, but then again nobody would trust me to make it fair, even though I don't actually personally know anyone on this site.
[/quote]

It's just a matter of a non-contestant doing it. Nothing personal, and it's hard to imagine any of the contestants cheating xD (you included)
Because being sporty (even though card games aren't a sport).

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, probably something like Gemi-Knights. Crouton once posted in the Deck section a [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/291039-block-knights/"]Block-Knight[/url] Deck (with Alexandrite, Garnet, Gem Armadillo and Gem Turtle) that caught my attention. It might actually work in Chance's Format.

the newest spellbook might throw a wrench into this format, idk yet, but the fact you would obviously play 3 of ether the card that grabs all the others, or the card that is potentally every normal spellbook in the grave, makes it really powerful for the format. I basically am running 5 copies of every normal spellbook now.

The monster removal brigade of this format.

A guide to what I consider the biggest traps being played.

They are made up of the following:[list]
[*]Compulsory Evacuation Device
[*]Dimensional Prison
[*]Memory of an Adversary
[/list]
These three traps are what make up the back row in terms of monster removal. With the exception of Memory of an Adversary these will almost always be played.

Now lets look at them separately.

Compulsory Evacuation Device: This guy is the biggest straight hitter of the three. He can hit at any moment in the game and imo he has replaced Warning. Yes I said Warning. Why do I think this? Well first off, no one is going to run warning unless you have the room and even then there are better options. Secondly, this guy can break away plays in an instant. He unlike the other 2 actually can activate before your opp. Night Beams or can be chained to Myst.

Dimensional Prison: Not much needs to be said about this guy. He does what he always does but with greater impact now. With boss monsters now reduced basically to 2 and most of the cards that allow them to get out. When he does hit things it can really hurt.

Memory of an Adversary: I view this guy as the replacement of Judgement. Why? Simply put, using him will either win you the game or kill you. He does what prison does with better results but it comes at a cost. With the game slower your more likely to last long enough to get the prize that this guy produces. Again though I'll stress that he either will win you the game or kill you.

What do you guys think? Do you agree or do you have other ideas?

That's actually pretty nicely stated for traps, except your opponent targets with Night Beam in prior to destruction so it can beat Comp in that sense, however Chaining to MST or teched Dust Tornadoes is still pretty epic as well as the flexibility it possesses. Prison DOES hurt and you can walk into it consciously without being able to do crap...As for Memory, I'll have to start testing him more. I never saw him as a Solemn Judgment, and that could actually be a nice way of playing it.

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1352826036' post='6068268']
That's actually pretty nicely stated for traps, except your opponent targets with Night Beam in prior to destruction so it can beat Comp in that sense, however Chaining to MST or teched Dust Tornadoes is still pretty epic as well as the flexibility it possesses. Prison DOES hurt and you can walk into it consciously without being able to do crap...As for Memory, I'll have to start testing him more. I never saw him as a Solemn Judgment, and that could actually be a nice way of playing it.
[/quote]

I think I'll do the same thing for the Spell/Trap removal too.

Spell removal is Soul taker and mystical, with Smashing ground and Night Beam as back ups in my view.

And I personally wouldn't value memory of a rival, I've had more success with Karma Cut, becuase time Karma well and it is game. Given that it can empty a grave as well. The discard may make it seem bad, but there are a lot of things that don't care about being discarded.

Maybe its more a tech though... hmm. And what about Cylinder? Thats a big arguement against Memory of a Rival, and although I love that, its just I don't personally rate it so high.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1352827318' post='6068288']
Spell removal is Soul taker and mystical, with Smashing ground and Night Beam as back ups in my view.

And I personally wouldn't value memory of a rival, I've had more success with Karma Cut, becuase time Karma well and it is game. Given that it can empty a grave as well. The discard may make it seem bad, but there are a lot of things that don't care about being discarded.

Maybe its more a tech though... hmm. And what about Cylinder? Thats a big arguement against Memory of a Rival, and although I love that, its just I don't personally rate it so high.
[/quote]

I didn't mention Spell monster removal as this was more of a guide for the trap line up. As for Cylinder, it was a guild for monster removal not attack negation. For Karma Cut, I haven't tried it yet.

I would go with Cylinder over Memory: With the Forbidden Lances around, I would dislike to receive a direct attack (or 2 if I don't have a defending monster) without banishing anything and thus not "stealing" the opponent's monster.
On the other hand, I am not sure if Lance negates Cylinder (because Cylinder negates the monster's attack but doesn't affect the monster itself, or so I think) but if it does negate it, certainly the cost would be less harsh.

I haven't tested it, but I think another useful Trap for monster removal would be Black Horn of Heaven: Outclassed by Warning, but it is not Semi-Limited so you can run 2 without replacing the Semi-Limiteds of your choice; and it will stop pretty much any Special Summoned monsters except Fusions, since in most Decks there won't be space for Monster Reborn. It is also a Counter so the opponent won't be able to chain Lance, and by negating the Summon it stops monsters such as Stardust Dragon and Naturia Barkion.

[quote name='Sleepy' timestamp='1352829840' post='6068336']
Magic Cylinder must target the attacking monster if I remember correctly. So it cannot negate an attack from Elemental HERO Wildheart.

Still, I think taking full damage is still a bit risky for me to try Memory of an Adversary
[/quote]
Wildheart can still be targeted by Trap Cards. It says so in his rulings. However, he is not affected by them. Just like how you can target Hanzo with Transformation even if he is under the effects of Forbidden Lance (one of my favorite combos).

Defence draw is a nice alternative as well, being a +0.

I think the third slot comes down to you deck make up. Slower decks benifit more from Defence Draw or Memory, decks with constant Hand advantage or other removal can use Karma, or stuff that does grave set up.

Karma is actually a great side card to think of it...

Archived