May now be locked - The Original Chance Format

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1352242549' post='6062493']
And that any deck capable of major amounts of searching and maintain huge amounts of consitency will do well in this. Which has been established in part by Frognarchs.
[/quote]

I second this, and I did point it out in my first post in this Thread: Searchers are precious this format.

Here is the Deck I ran, side included:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/63iJs.png[/img]

The last 2 Traps were pretty bad choices: I thought they would be useful this format. But with the lack of mass destruction and reduced Traps I sided them out in the following matches. Planning to include 2 Dimensional Prisons instead.
I never used Dark Simorgh so the Deck can be further improved with other Side cards.

You might think th Deck is autopilot. I must disagree: This Deck encourages thinking and to take the best choice depending on your position. At first it overwhelmed me, but with practice now I know (more or less), for instance, when to search Geaframe, Birdman or a Gadget with Gigant X. Also I had the element of surprise by my side: Recycled, Shikigami and Locomotion. I bet few people saw it coming.

People were wondering why I didn't run generic Extra Decks. Well, the answer would be that staying Solid is more worth it I guess.

EDIT: Chance, I like to call this Deck Machinex (Machina+Genex). I believe Machina Gadgets have a different playstyle.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a lot of stuff needs to be outright forbidden, semi-limiting it does the job just fine I think. If they want to include that, they lose out on some defence/consitency instead.

But yes, I support a custom banlist. My current ideas for stuff that needs a hit:

Grapha (Becuase, in this format, its just to much) Semi'd.
I'm thinking Swap Frog becuase if I'm right that shuts the sheer spam nature of the frogs a huge amount, meaning they no longer become an amazing wall/barricade. (semi'd)
Hyperion: Pretty much the same as Grapha. It can come out way to easily, and makes a massive impact with little skill required for it. (Semi'd)
Fortress and High Priestess: See above.

Theres a lot of other stuff I've picked up on, but they are the big culprits in my view. All of them practically help there deck Luagh of your opponents efforts. Grapha in particular.

Oh someone will probably say BLS. Kinda self explanatory. But not a major issue IMO.

And you might say this is a butthurt player, I've used Priestess in two of these now, even I admit she's stupid in this format.

@Frex. That explains why the Marshmellow annoyed you so much. I think you may wanna have Black corn in there over a catasor. He's to good not to be used, given his way to kill normally stupidly stubborn threats.

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1352244735' post='6062537']
Coming from Blindmonkey, it sounds like a butthurt player.

Coming from Sleepy, it sounds more plausible.

But that's me atm.

Also, I'll host 1 more tournament with no custom ban list just yet,

and adding Machina Genex Gadgets to Tier 1 List.
[/quote]

It sounds like a butthurt player, I am, that's for sure.

But am I not right, Chance?

It just so happens we're talking about the same Deck.

Another reason I stay Solid is because Shikigami. The card is an awesome problem solver: Can beat a monster by itself in a pinch, is Fortress Material or becomes Locomotion or Giant Killer with Recyled and Cannon respectively. I would rather not interfere with the card with something like Black Rose, Corn or Big Eyes. Not that there is much available Extra Deck space, as you can see.

[quote name='Excalibur-sama' timestamp='1352245237' post='6062544']
But am I not right, Chance?

It just so happens we're talking about the same Deck.
[/quote]

I cannot and will not say you are wrong, because you clearly are not. But I've also killed this deck with 1 well placed Cyber Dragon->Chimerafortress and Frex can even attest to that, and the biggest weakness the deck has to that is System down. Cyber Dragon can be easily sided against machines and it's devastating in this format because one their stuff goes, it's usually tough for them to get back up.

After this fourth tournament, I'll make a final decision whether or not to create a custom ban list for this format.

I know it is your format dude, so you have the final say, but part of the thing that makes this so great is that we are making it. All of us, through testing, playing and suggestions.

And that making it a vote is surely a fairer way of making the format last. After all, if people think a banlist would work, surely testing it with one would aslo be worthwhile, instead of testing it without and guessing.

But again, your call.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1352244909' post='6062541']
I don't think a lot of stuff needs to be outright forbidden, semi-limiting it does the job just fine I think. If they want to include that, they lose out on some defence/consitency instead.

But yes, I support a custom banlist. My current ideas for stuff that needs a hit:

Grapha (Becuase, in this format, its just to much) Semi'd.
I'm thinking Swap Frog becuase if I'm right that shuts the sheer spam nature of the frogs a huge amount, meaning they no longer become an amazing wall/barricade. (semi'd)
Hyperion: Pretty much the same as Grapha. It can come out way to easily, and makes a massive impact with little skill required for it. (Semi'd)
Fortress and High Priestess: See above.

Theres a lot of other stuff I've picked up on, but they are the big culprits in my view. All of them practically help there deck Luagh of your opponents efforts. Grapha in particular.

Oh someone will probably say BLS. Kinda self explanatory. But not a major issue IMO.

And you might say this is a butthurt player, I've used Priestess in two of these now, even I admit she's stupid in this format.

@Frex. That explains why the Marshmellow annoyed you so much. I think you may wanna have Black corn in there over a catasor. He's to good not to be used, given his way to kill normally stupidly stubborn threats.
[/quote]

I would like to point out that semi-limiting stuff does almost nothing. If anything, all of those hand-held bosses should go to one.

It's nice how semi-limit position has more of a purpose here.

More on topic:
I'd say a few changes for immediate [s]war potentials[/s] abusive potential might work for now. You have like 50 decks made with the format so, I believe some problem cards have already been spotted.

Back in my more-primitive format, I knew that Extra Deck Summoning sickness was a good start, but that some Main Deck monsters could still be abused, even though I did not know how to fix it, and still do not know...
If anyone of us can come up with some sort of rule that could throw back boss monsters from the Main Deck, without lowering the format's quality, it'd be another option if a custom list is too much.

Actually sleepy, I'll have to agree with the custom list on that one. Main Deck boss monsters may be slower, but they can still pack a punch and limiting said monsters in my format with the ban list actually sounds like the best way without hindering as much of the format, but again, this will be done on before the release of my 5th Tournament.

@Excalabur: Normally yes, I would agree. But here, the semi-limit means taking dark world for example: You either take Grapha's power, or your Tourguides flexability.

Semi-limiting can hit just as hard as limiting in this. And is probably the best benchmark to start with things before we decide for example. Problem cards get the same htreatement, and you decide from there.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1352246466' post='6062577']
@Excalabur: Normally yes, I would agree. But here, the semi-limit means taking dark world for example: You either take Grapha's power, or your Tourguides flexability.

Semi-limiting can hit just as hard as limiting in this. And is probably the best benchmark to start with things before we decide for example. Problem cards get the same htreatement, and you decide from there.
[/quote]

You're missing my butthurt: What the hell does Fortress care about a Semi?

[quote name='♥ D.A._Siegfried ♥' timestamp='1352246739' post='6062590']
Having been eliminated quickly what I say doesn't have much sway but I don't really see the need of a custom, L/S-L/Ban list. :\
[/quote]

I can see it, but I'll need 1 more check to be sure.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1352246937' post='6062598']
The deck loses Duality, loses consitency. Deck loses Bottomless, loses defensive power ect, ect this list goes on.

Yes, you got butthurt by Fortress, doesn't mean it automatically goes to 1. Frex did lose one of his opening matches remember, might not be any consolation, but it means it isn't all powerful..
[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. Also:

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1352246672' post='6062585']
Also, this one is a rule I didn't impalement because I wanted to ask you guys. Do you want to use all 3 decks (1 per round) or just 1?
[/quote]

3 would be more challenging, but using 1 will be more helpful for the analysis of the format: That way we will find out how a the same Deck interacts with different ones, rather than just scramble all Decks. For instance, my given Deck 1 might be Tier 1, but since I will swap Decks in the following duel(s) we will never know.

What's all this main deck boss hate again? I mean I give you Grapha because its horrible and rewards you for being illiterate and not thinking but really Hyperion, Junon, and Fortress.

Especially with backrow being so prevalent in this format its hard to even fathom main deck bosses outside of herp derp grapha being useful (hence why I like the format). I'm not really for a custom banlist because nothing in my experience has seemed ban worthy with all of these limitations put on it.

Archived