Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Phantom Roxas

You don't understand. If you have one shoulder for specials, and one other shoulder button, this technique is useless. The point is so you never return the stick to neutral. If you take your thumb off one of the sticks, then the technique isn't being used. Therefore the only way to play the game is to map your combo and tech options into your shoulder buttons. You obis ally can't do that with only two shoulders. You need at least 3 so that you can have Attack and either Jump or Shield. If you have 4 then you get all 3 combo options except smash attacks.

Long and short: Tryig to do this on 3DS will do nothing except make the game hard to play, as in order to make use of thugs like perfect pivoting, you have to also use an attack. You cannot move your thumbs on the sticks and hit attack with your index finger if you don't have it on a shoulder button, so at that point the only way to do it is to take your thumb off the right stick, and at that point you aren't doing the tech. It's not that it's hard to do. It's mechanically impossible with less than 3 shoulders

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you could actually SELECT what you wanted to put on each button (including c nub) then you could actually make it usable on n3ds. As it is, you cant, which is a shame, and makes 3ds way worse than wiiu which sucks for people who don't have the money for one.

I mean it doesn't really matter anyway, because the technique literally becomes nothing more than a new way to move around the stage (and literally nothing else) with only 2 shoulder buttons.  Unless your handheld is modded to have 3-4 shoulders or something, in which case yeah, it kinda sucks that the nub is unmodable for controls.

You don't understand. If you have one shoulder for specials, and one other shoulder button, this technique is useless. The point is so you never return the stick to neutral. If you take your thumb off one of the sticks, then the technique isn't being used. Therefore the only way to play the game is to map your combo and tech options into your shoulder buttons. You obis ally can't do that with only two shoulders. You need at least 3 so that you can have Attack and either Jump or Shield. If you have 4 then you get all 3 combo options except smash attacks.

Long and short: Tryig to do this on 3DS will do nothing except make the game hard to play, as in order to make use of thugs like perfect pivoting, you have to also use an attack. You cannot move your thumbs on the sticks and hit attack with your index finger if you don't have it on a shoulder button, so at that point the only way to do it is to take your thumb off the right stick, and at that point you aren't doing the tech. It's not that it's hard to do. It's mechanically impossible with less than 3 shoulders

...tried anyways, failed horribly, story of my life. i figured it couldn't be done, but i still wanted to try doing something similar. there was no combination that worked even remotely the same way. so sadly, i have failed. yes, i knew it wouldn't work, but i had to at least try something similar.

I mean it doesn't really matter anyway, because the technique literally becomes nothing more than a new way to move around the stage (and literally nothing else) with only 2 shoulder buttons.  Unless your handheld is modded to have 3-4 shoulders or something, in which case yeah, it kinda sucks that the nub is unmodable for controls.

...But the New 3DS has 4 shoulder buttons...? L, R, ZL, and ZR. 

After playing this for about a week now, my favorites are now Toon Link, Sonic, and Robin.

Is Meta Knight still banned from competitive play though?

you're thinking of brawl, this is smash 4, meta knight's relatively high tier, but he's not broken by any means.

also, welcome to the robin side, let's tip the scales!

I prefer the down taunt personally. Mainly for the animation, since I more likely than not will have my audio off. Also, robinlyfe is p good, but It'll never stop being shulk time...

d38c0ce1bf90ee3d0c1b73094bd94190.jpg

Oh please, the shuttle loop is still amazing, people just go for the mainstream three cause that's how metagames always seem to end

Oh please, the shuttle loop is still amazing, people just go for the mainstream three cause that's how metagames always seem to end

Nah bruh, Meta Knight's sole hook into top tier was that he had solid matchup against the top tiers. Why? Because his gameplay revolved around simply using a long, complex, and very precise chain of moves in order to 0 -> death his opponent. The coup de grace of that game plan was Up Airing them to the top of the screen then ending it with a shuttle loop. This past patch completely neutered that gameplay strategy. Not only can he not take them as high due to the more horizontal angle and less damage, but your opponent can very easily mix up their DI in order to escape after 2 Up Airs or so. Meta Knight completely lost his method of ending stocks before they were a threat, and so he has no method to end the lives of top tiers anymore.

He's still a good character with solid frame data and gameplay options, but without that B&B he's without a doubt going to fall into mid tier. It sucks because they didn't even give him a decent buff to compensate. Fair has less lag but you still can't combo with it very well, so it's still kinda worthless.

Robin and Shulk are top 3?

Thought Shulk was all the rage, last when I play'd clearly I was incorrect 

Nah bruh, Meta Knight's sole hook into top tier was that he had solid matchup against the top tiers. Why? Because his gameplay revolved around simply using a long, complex, and very precise chain of moves in order to 0 -> death his opponent. The coup de grace of that game plan was Up Airing them to the top of the screen then ending it with a shuttle loop. This past patch completely neutered that gameplay strategy. Not only can he not take them as high due to the more horizontal angle and less damage, but your opponent can very easily mix up their DI in order to escape after 2 Up Airs or so. Meta Knight completely lost his method of ending stocks before they were a threat, and so he has no method to end the lives of top tiers anymore.

He's still a good character with solid frame data and gameplay options, but without that B&B he's without a doubt going to fall into mid tier. It sucks because they didn't even give him a decent buff to compensate. Fair has less lag but you still can't combo with it very well, so it's still kinda worthless.

Guess I need to get back into the meta-game then. I swear no less than three months ago he was still legit :/

Then again I thought Shulk was good

Thought Shulk was all the rage, last when I play'd clearly I was incorrect

Shulk is fun, but no agree near the top. He's slow and doesn't combo very well, and his gimmick, while useful, is tricky to get a handle on.

Mainly, though, he's a giant meme.

*I'm really feeling it echos in the distance*

but she's still higher than all 3 of them.

Doesn't matter. I'm a lot more familiar with these 3 than Sheik. Sure, I'll probably play her a lot because she's funking fun but my familiarity with these characters is just better. I got muscle memory. Additionally, in the future I'll probably learn Rosalina because dat Stand power.

Doesn't matter. I'm a lot more familiar with these 3 than Sheik. Sure, I'll probably play her a lot because she's f***ing fun but my familiarity with these characters is just better. I got muscle memory. Additionally, in the future I'll probably learn Rosalina because dat Stand power.

fair enough, i main a ganondorf over shiek even knowing she's better, i've got no room to speak.

Archived