Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Phantom Roxas

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's pretty fast as is... imagine zero suit that plays like shiek. I'd go for a tank combo, since she already had pretty good recovery and some decent combos, but confirming kills is hard and getting killed can happen pretty often if you aren't good with witch time.

So today I learned something interesting. As a custom control I've set the C button on my Nunchuk to grab instead of jump, but for some reason when I was trying to use Samus's tether grab in the air I would keep accidentally doing aerials, and I figured out that when you're in the tumbling animation I would do an aerial instead of the grab.

So today I learned something interesting. As a custom control I've set the C button on my Nunchuk to grab instead of jump, but for some reason when I was trying to use Samus's tether grab in the air I would keep accidentally doing aerials, and I figured out that when you're in the tumbling animation I would do an aerial instead of the grab.

It doesn't actually have anything to do with aerials.  For some reason you can't use the grab action while holding a direction after certain situations.  For example if I dash up to you, run past and attempt to Pivot Grab, then I must flick right, return the stick to neutral, THEN hit grab.  If I keep holding right when I hit grab, then I will do a Pivot Forward Tilt rather than a Pivot Grab.  It's not something you can really feel out since it's all within a few frames of each other, but generally when you want to tether or use Grab make sure you input it like a Neutral Air to ensure you don't accidentally get an aerial.

But I tested things in training mode, whenever I jumped normally it'd always be a tether grab no matter if I was holding a direction, then when I figured it out in the middle of a game with my friend I had him hit me around a few times to test and it would become an aerial if I tried grabbing out of the tumbling animation no matter if I was holding a direction or not.

EDIT: Ah, went to the wiki page for tumbling. "It is not possible to use a zair (tether recovery) while tumbling, though, as attempting to do so results in an air dodge (aerial attack in Smash 4)."

• 3 weeks later...

WHOA WHOA WHOA PATCH HAS JUST DROPPED AND WE GETTING BALANCE CHANGES UP THE WAZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

T H E R I D E N E V E R E N D S

Let's watch the geniuses at the smashboards figure this stuff out, but there are some really interesting things so far.  #PLEASEFIXTHEG&WUPTILT

http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-5-patch-notes.433162/

EDIT:

giphy.gif

I like to counterpick Bayonettas with Corrin, let them combo me to ceiling then counter and kill them at 0 and watch them do it again.

The hilarious part is that you probably still can.  The knockback may be marginally weaker but it's still a counter, and it launches vertically.  You just won't die to weak knees AT funking 80 anymore

which is nice

Those sheik nerfs are potentially huge.  It probably won't ruin the character, but less viable throw followups if fantastic.  I have yet to actually get in the lab and see just how much the hitbox shift on her Fair actually matters.  From my understanding, they shifted both the clean and late hitboxes roughly 1 full unit closer to sheik's body.  However it was only in 1 direction, and considering it was the Z pos of the hitbox, i would say this is either a vertical only change, or that it was shifted diagonally 1 unit.  That would have much less impact on the other 2 coordinates comparatively, but I'm not sure how much 1 full unit actually in in scope.  It could be a massive change, which would explain a diagonal shift.  I was worried that there were not many nerfs you could actually give to sheik without completely ruining the character, but I hadn't even considered simply moving the Fair hitbox.  now it should be a bit harder to land, and more importantly, won't scoop you into combos as much.  You should now have to rely on tilts as combo starters instead of just Short Hop Fair across the stage.

EDIT:

Holy crap I knew witch time was changed, but these new numbers are absurd.

OLD WITCH TIME

Duration(from WT) : INT(180+"Opponent's %"/5) 

Duration(from BW) : INT(120+"Opponent's %"/5) 

Duration penalty per use : 50F/50F

Duration recovery per frame : 0.08F/0.08F

NEW WITCH TIME

Duration(from WT) : INT(180+"Opponent's %"/10)

Duration(from BW) : INT(120+"Opponent's %"/10)

Duration penalty per use : 75F/50F

Duration recovery per frame : 0.06F/0.04F

The first number before the '/' is for actually hitting WT, the 2nd one after the '/' is for getting Bat within instead.

So now the duration of WT scales one half as fast as it used to with opponent's damage.  In other words, if they were frozen at 50% in patch 1.1.4, you would need to get them to 100% in order for them to be frozen the exact same amount.  Keep in mind though that this is ONLY in reference to how WT scales based on the opponent's damage.  It's base length was not changed.

Also, in patch 1.1.4, regardless of which state you actually triggered, you would get a -50 frames to the duration, and it would recover 0.08 frames of that duration every time frame (so 50 / 0.08 = total amount of frames needed for a full recovery).  It took then 625 frames for a full cooldown, or ~10.42 seconds.

NOW we have different scaling factors based on which you trigger.  When you actually trigger WT, it takes 75 frames from your total, and refreshes at 0.06 frames per frame.  So then you would need to wait a whopping 1,250 frames for a full cooldown, which is roughly 20.83 seconds, exactly double what it was pre patch.  As for Bat Within, you only lose 50 frames for triggering it, but it recovers slower to compensate (0.04 f/f), which means you still need to wait 1250 frames for the full cooldown, you are just punished less for triggering Bat Within and then needing witch time again in a short span.

But nearly 21 seconds is a gigantic amount of time in a match.  And with how much scaling has been reduced, you can't really just fudge your way through it by getting them to high percent in order to offset the loss in duration.  I could do the math for that, but i'm sure y'all already get the picture.  Witch Time is still very threatening, but you have to be much more conservative about when any why you throw it out, or it'll be near useless when you really need it.

please tell me robin and Jiggs got something nice to play with this patch. although a ganon buff is wonderful thing.

also, i just thought about it, but does anybody know if you could use an action replay to get vampire items? i want to reset my mewtwo amiibo because i finally learned how to properly raise one, but i gave it a vampire item as food, and i really don't want to waste it.

As a Corrin main let me start by saying cool on them for nerfing her without actually taking away anything that made her viable and arguably giving her more sheet to work with.

please tell me  Jiggs got something nice to play with this patch

You're hilarious!

It's just kinda hilarious that they made the character who's the heaviest by a fair margin even heavier. Like, most characters are 1 or 2 points heavier than the next lighter character, Bowser is now a whole 8 points heavier than Donkey Kong.

Also, this is pretty great: https://vine.co/v/ivaWzl6HVTU While it's not new it's only been brought to my attention to day.

Archived