Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Phantom Roxas

I honestly have no idea where Sheik is anymore.  My friend doesn't play smash competitively at all, but I'll be the first to admit his sheik was pretty solid.  Even he just had more than a few moments of confusion flash across his face as he tried to play her post-nerf.  It was like he didn't even know what to do anymore.  Her nerf was substantial enough to completely change her gameplay, and has turned her trait of having trouble killing from a small issue into a major concern.

This is exactly why I was concerned with them changing her Fair.  The thing with Sheik is that she was just designed to be top tier.  If you take even one of her tools away, it's like reaching into your car's engine and yanking something out.  maybe it will run just fine.  Chances are though it either won't run, or won't run nearly as well.  That's exactly what they did to sheik, and didn't give her much to compensate.  Hell she might not even be high tier anymore.  The only thing that makes me think otherwise is dem needles, and they are literally nothing more than an annoyance.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jumping in but there is something that bugged me. In the following video:

https://youtu.be/kivmjWSXxFs?t=2m20s

At around 2:22 the Cloud player makes that animation of running but without actually moving forward; at 2:44 it does it again. Assuming it is an advanced tech not unlike "Wavedashing" and the like, which tech is it and how can one input it?

It's basically Wavebounce Dancetrot, combining two techniques for a spacing mindgame.  If you are unfamiliar with Dancetroting, then watch this:

Now onto what's different.  Basically what he's doing is Dancetroting, but then immediately slamming his joystick in the opposite direction.  Basically, in Smash 4 you can control the speed of your dash by reducing how far in the X direction your tilt your stick.  When you return the stick to Neural (X Pos 0), the dash ends.  However, inputing a Dancetrot or Dash Dance like this, (flicking the opposite direction one more time and holding) confuses the game slightly.  You are in the middle of a Foxtrot animation, so you can't stop dashing due to negative X pos values on your stick.  At the same time, you can't slide and run the other direction for the same reason.  Therefore the game reads the -X Pos as a Speed Scalar value.  Essentially it slows your runspeed to below 0, but cant actually cancel your dash, nor convert it to a walk.  So you just dont move anywhere.  Your negative momentum from the 3 flick cancels your positive momentum from the second flick.

If you wanna think about it a bit easier, you can make the allusion to this topic:

Imagine that a standard Dancetrot is a B-Reverse.  You move the exact opposite direction as your initial path, but perfectly maintain that momentum in the new direction.  Following that logic, that means that the 3rd stick flick makes the dash act like a Wavebounce.  I.e. you are facing the same direction as your initial path, but your momentum is in the opposite direction as the way you are facing.  if you know anything about Vectors, then when you add a Positive vector(V1) and a Negative vector(V2) together, the Resultant vector is V1 - V2.  If both V1 and V2 have the same magnitude (e.g. V1 = 5 and V2 = -5), then the Resultant vector is 0.  Knowing this, the two sticks are used with the same magnitude (all the way to the edge) but in opposite directions, so the Resultant Movement Vector is 0.  The character will not move, but the animation will execute as normal.

He's got the fastest move speed in the game. If you do anything remotely laggy, he can punish it from literally anywhere on the stage. He hits hard enough and his spinaroonies give him insane combo and mixup options. If anything he's just weak to gimps because his recovery is completely vertical.

actually, as of the most recent patch, i believe he's tied with mewtwo for highest speed. the vast difference being his moves suffer far less lag, and his animations are liable to confuse anybody not extensively familiar with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Luigi's cannon-head is very potent and deadly, especially when charged to it's max....Still, his up special could cause some serious injury....

His side b is really unsafe since its easy to see coming and ends with you getting punished super hard. IMO its better used to aid his recovery. Same is true for Pika and Charizard.

His up special is a solid kill move, but again really easy to punish if you whiff.

You would be surprised how often Green Missile actually lands if you throw it out randomly, especially if you misfire.  Even when you don't, he moves so slowly and the hitbox lasts so freakin long that people sometimes just walk into it.

Super Jump Punch is rlly gud if you know how to combo into it.  Loogie is a lot harder to play than people give him credit for, especially now that he lost his D-Throw -> Linguine Cyclone kill confirm.  His smashes are either too weak to kill or too hard to land to be reliable, so you really have to know exactly what to do at exactly what percent in order to land the kill. 

• 3 weeks later...

You can combo dthrow to up B with luigi, iirc, but of course, the timing is tight, it'd likely mess up with even the slightest bit of DI, and if you miss, you eat a hard punish.

At least it's more reliable than rest setups.

You can combo dthrow to up B with luigi, iirc, but of course, the timing is tight, it'd likely mess up with even the slightest bit of DI, and if you miss, you eat a hard punish.

At least it's more reliable than rest setups.

taunt into rest is a true combo. as is sidestep into rest, or DI into rest. and if you haven't used it the entire game, sing into rest is almost guaranteed to work at least once.

Here's your rest setups.  If she had her old Up Tilt from melee she would be so much better.

yeah, i used this video in my jiggly training. i haven't gotten down the footstool one, but the air dodge into rest/pound quickly became one of my favorite mindgames.

Archived