*The YCM Channel Headquarters*

CinnamonStar

Okay so, I've had like another super idea. 

Batman-Rooftop.gif

I can do the logos for each and every one of the "shows" too give them more of an appealing oversight (if you will) having logos on each "show" would also help with the formatting. The main problem with this is people would end up having to think of a name for each of your shows.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Archetype of the Moment]

What’s up, YCMers? My name is Lolithar (more colloquially known as Thar), and this is:

uUl5LAb.png

Each issue, or so it may seem, a certain Archetype for the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG will be brought to the attention of you, the readers, regardless of whether or not you know it already. Some of you may actually learn something new, though, so you never know.

“Archetype of the Moment” will consist of a number of things: A brief description of the Archetype and its concept, some example cards, and an interview with a number of members that are familiar with the TCG and play often enough to understand the Archetype in question.

Today’s “Archetype of the Moment” is…

MERMAILS-

tumblr_mr22rfHRfV1scszuoo1_500.gif

Actually no, not Mermails. That was the original idea, but because there weren’t enough people who were that familiar with them, I botched the idea and went with a more loved Archetype.

The REAL “Archetype of the Moment” is… Fire Fists!

As I said, most TCG players here might already be familiar enough with it that they will find it unnecessary to read about it, but as for the people who have never tried them (or just want to read something): Take a gander. From what I’ve heard about them, this archetype is well respected, and deserves to be tried at least once. Let’s start by describing what they are:

Description and concept:

“Fire Fists”, also known as “Flame Stars” - (炎えんせい) Ensei – is an archetype based around FIRE Beast-Warrior type monsters. The main inspiration for this archetype comes from a Chinese novel called “Water Margin”, also translated to “Outlaws of the Marsh.” Set around the Song Dynasty, the novel tells a story of 108 outlaws that gathered at Mount Liang to grow a sizable army, large enough to be granted amnesty by the government. With this, the army developed by these outlaws is sent on campaigns to invade foreign lands and wipe out rebel forces.

As for the OCG itself, the main thing that makes this archetype stand out from the crowd is their immense search ability for other cards with “Fire Fist” in the name, making for an impressive synchronization that has worked well with many people who use or used them.

Card examples:

[spoiler=Monsters]

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistGorilla-CB

Once per turn, when this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Spell Card directly from your Deck. Once per turn: You can send 1 face-up "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Card you control to the Graveyard to target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy that target.

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistCaribou-JO

During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was destroyed by a card effect and sent there this turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Fire Fist" monster from your Deck, except "Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Caribou". If this card is sent to the Graveyard for the Synchro Summon of a "Fire Fist" monster: You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Spell Card directly from your Deck.

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistDragon-CBL

Once per turn, if you activate a "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Card (except during the Damage Step): You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Trap Card directly from your Deck. Once per turn: You can send 2 face-up "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Cards you control to the Graveyard to target 1 "Fire Fist" monster in your Graveyard, except "Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Dragon"; Special Summon that target.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]

300px-FireFormationTenki-AP03-EN-UtR-UE.

When this card is activated: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower Beast-Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. All Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 100 ATK. You can only activate 1 "Fire Formation - Tenki" per turn.

300px-FireFormationTensu-CBLZ-EN-C-1E.pn

During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 Beast-Warrior-Type monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) All Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 100 ATK.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traps]

300px-FireFormationTensen-CBLZ-EN-C-1E.p

When this card is activated: Target 1 Beast-Warrior-Type monster you control; it gains 700 ATK until the End Phase. (This ATK gain remains even if this card leaves the field.) All Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 300 ATK.

300px-FireFormationTenken-CBLZ-EN-C-1E.p

Activate only during Main Phase 1. When this card is activated: Target 1 Beast-Warrior-Type monster you control; during this phase, its effects are negated, also it is unaffected by the effects of cards other than this card. (This applies even if this card leaves the field.) All Beast-Warrior-Type monsters you control gain 300 ATK.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistHorsePrinc

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 FIRE monster from your Deck. After you Synchro Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon Level 5 or higher monsters for the rest of this turn.

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistKirin-JOTL

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Fire Fist" monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Card directly from your Deck. All monsters your opponent controls lose 100 ATK for each face-up Spell/Trap Card you control.

Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Tiger King

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistTigerKing-

2 Level 4 Beast-Warrior-Type monsters

When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Card directly from your Deck. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of all face-up Effect Monsters currently on the field, except Beast-Warrior-Type, until the end of your opponent's turn. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can send 3 face-up "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Cards you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 2 Level 4 or lower Beast-Warrior-Type monsters with the same ATK from your Deck, in face-up Defense Position.

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistLionEmpero

2 Level 3 FIRE monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 FIRE monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand, but you cannot Normal or Special Summon that monster, or a monster with the same name, for the rest of this turn.

[/spoiler]

Member interviews:

This is where the members from the TCG section are involved. Via a group PM, these three people responded to these questions regarding their opinion on the Archetype in question. Let’s see what they had to say…

“When Fire Fists were first introduced, what was your first impression?”:

Koko: “Even though I'm actually one of the most renowned Fire Fist players on YCM, I actually didn't used to like them. I used to think they were just really gimmicky and that they weren't actually all that strong until I actually began to play them. That was when I fell in love with them and most importantly, my favorite card Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Bear.”

[spoiler=Ah yes, Bear. I forgot about that one…]

300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistBear-CT10-

Once per turn, when this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can Set 1 "Fire Formation" Spell Card directly from your Deck. Once per turn: You can send 1 face-up "Fire Formation" Spell/Trap Card you control to the Graveyard, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target.

[/spoiler]

Armadilloz: “Beast-Warriors finally become a thing, and Spirit/Horse Prince/Lion Emperor are now oddballs (We didn't have Rooster/Leopard yet, shoosh)”

Hyoubu: “I fell in love with FFists the moment they were released (I dare say I posted the first FFist deck in YCM, just a few moments before Expel). The play-style, the artwork, everything, and when they were first introduced, they weren't blatantly stupid or OPed at all but rather consistent as a "Tier 2" deck (lol what tiers?). Mermails on the other hand, I thought were stupid. Laughing off costs in order to gain advantage is a stupid design, at least the way Konami made them out to be especially with Atlanteans being released.”

“Based on your experience with Fire Fist, how do they treat you? In your opinion, is it just coincidence that they treat you that way? Or is this treatment legitimate?”:

Koko: “Fire Fist tend to treat their owners very nicely as they open truly bad hands very rarely if you're playing the deck right. Seeing as how the deck is full of good cards, it is a very rare occasion that you do not open a single good card out of a good majority of them.”

Armadilloz: “Due to the crazy-ass toolbox that Bear Fire Fists tend to be, it lead to a lot of shenanigans.”

Hyoubu: “FFists treat me generously when I'm playing with them, and provide a challenge when facing the right builds. The fact that FFists have a great amount of consistency and access to several key cards is amazing and I can't complain otherwise. They just have a good amount of good quality cards that give a player that's using the deck options or outs to several decks out there, yet they can be fragile if you hit key points of their combos just right like a well timed veiler, mst, fiendish (pretty much what Koko said).”

“If you could, in what ways would you improve Fire Fists? In what ways would you water them down?”:

Koko: “I wouldn't. Honestly the deck type is perfectly fine as it is and does not need to be touched again. It's a powerful deck with a lot of powerful properties that are easily shut down by commonly played cards like Mystical Space Typhoon, Effect Veiler and Fiendish Chain.”

Armadilloz: “Not really sure how I could improve them, but if you want to water them down: Gorilla and Bear swap their destruction effects.”

Hyoubu: “Fire Fists need no more improvement. On the contrary, they need Chicken banned and since they already hit Tenki, I'd say hit Panther too. 3-Axis Fire Fists and 4-Axis Fire Fists are consistent decks turned stupid only via the existence of Chicken (ik it's rooster, but chicken is always a chicken), Wolfberk, Onslaught of the Fire Kings and Panther-Tenki-Spirit-Tensu combo. Minimize this, and you have a good solid deck with good solid combos that don't completely overwhelm your opponent but do make them think about how to get around your set ups.”

“Overall, yay or nay?":

Koko, Armadilloz, and Hyoubu, simultaneously: “Yay.”

-

Whelp, that about wraps up today’s “Archetype of the moment.” Thanks for reading and y’all have a good night!

Readers: “Shut up, Thar.”

[/spoiler]

*dies*

Sensitive keyboard, double-clicking mouse, and lag made this feel like hell to put together. Nonetheless, I can't call it finished without feedback. What do you guys think? Did I cover everything okay?

@ Seija:

That works.

On the other hand I don't oppose Ojama Country, but idk if this wouldn't limit us since we try to be flexible theme-wise. Being named after a Yugioh card would probably make people expect us to focus mostly on Yugioh topics (which we won't always put the focus on)?o.o On the other hand we're on a Yugioh-based site and the main attraction is the cardmaker.

Just my feedback on it. But the logo Tormy suggested looks good.

@ Aura:

Yeah, I'd say both of you get together and organize what the article(s) will look like, who does what and such.

I'm also bumping him up to regular cast member for the moment because you're both covering something pretty big (silly that I haven't done it yet).

@ Tormy:

Ah well, I don't know if I'll need it for now. But if someone wants a separate logo for his article, you know who to call. Thanks for covering the graphics aspect btw.=o

@ Creator:

Alright, you're signed up as a back-up. If you want (idk how much time you have so it's not a must), we could give you our stuff to look over for correction and feedback?

@ Thar:

This is good. It seems understandable for everyone while the interview part also offers something for the seasoned players.

Nice job.:3

2akec21.png

So any other opinions on "Ojama Country" and on this logo?

Also I'm currently doing the interview, the member riddle and the 10 worst hairstyles for the life-related/comedy part. Just saying that we won't have the show review for the next issue but for one afterwards since the artist needs time to fill out a request.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

"Ojama Country" kinda sounds better as a theme/title for one issue imo (but then we'd need a general show name).

The other suggested names were YCM Times, YCM Chanel 7 News, YCM Channel and YCM Newscast.

Personally I'd go for YCM Channel as a general name and Ojama Country for the first issue, but that's just me. Any opinions?

[spoiler='Article: (WIP)']

AtrafficWithRender_zps9c4c43e8.png

Hello and welcome to the first edition of Attraffic Control here on the YCM Channel, where we bring you the trends and past happenings on YCM! I am your host, Seija Kijin, and with me today is my coho- hold on, I’m getting a message. Uh huh. It seems that for this first edition, I have been left without a cohost. 

Anyway, the subject of today is our mysterious creator himself, YCMaker. If you don’t really know who he is, that is quite understandable, but I’m getting ahead of myself. YCMaker was the first member of this site, which you can’t really see anymore, but more on that later, the first administrator, and practically the creator. Interesting fact about this is that the second administrator, Falling Pizza, is the fourth member on the site, while Frunk is the second. Anyhow, now you know whose not-so-inactive ass to blame when you cannot concentrate on your schoolwork.

The important period, between late 2011-2013, that I will be covering, now in fact, all started with a little anime called Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, which premiered April 2011 and will be talked about in greater detail in a later issue. In this anime, which was a part of a series that is the base of this site, a new type of Extra Deck monster appeared called Xyz Monsters. After the show premiered, YCMembers were pretty much expecting the update of the card maker with the new type of monster rather quickly, but waited rather patiently on the update.

YCMaker started showing less and less activity, and people grew impatient with the lack of updating and general problems the card maker was getting, which eventually culminated in the thread known as ”We need a 3rd Admin”, which is the first pinned thread in Comments and Suggestions.The thread gathered a staggering 75+ supporters, the actual amount being unknown because of the OP not being fully updated, but in general, this is about the estimated average member total on a good day on YCM nowadays. 

From time to time, YCMaker started showing life signs again, fixing some bugs, but not Xyz Monsters. This lead to Crab Helmet, a moderator most known for her fanfiction review series ”Foe Fiction”, finding and exploiting a bug in the system that allowed her to fuse YCMaker’s admin account with a decidedly less administrating mod account, allegedly to get his attention. YCMaker then came back, created a new admin account (which is the reason for his account no longer appearing as the first), banned Crab Helmet and decided that the inactiveness he had displayed before apparently wasn’t enough. 

Accompanied by the recent rise of a rival site known as Yugico, which did have Xyz Monsters, this was the start of a major activity decline in YCM and didn’t go anywhere until late 2012, when a group of moderators found out another bug in the system which allowed them to create admin accounts. This lead to the shop being actually useful again, a reorganization of the site including two new sections for Showcase and the promise of a redesign of the card maker with the help of Zextra. 

Fast forward to late summer where YCMaker returns and makes an update to the card maker with said templates provided by Zextra. This has been the history of Xyz Monsters on YCM, I-guess-it-wasn’t-that-much-about-YCMaker-anyway edition, on Attraffic Control, YCM Channel. Before we go, here are some fun facts about YCMaker:

-YCMaker’s inactivity has some infamity attached to it, as we showed in the drinking game in our last version of this program, the YCM Weekly. Generally, people used to attract attention to the fact that YCMaker was online in the status bar. This also lead to a conspiracy theory at some point that Pika had hacked YCMaker’s account and was logging onto it to screw with people.

-Besides the above mentioned fad, there was also a fad hailing YCMaker as a god, which lead to an incident we will cover in another issue, along with the Status Bar in general.

-Several people have been said to know YCMaker IRL, including Frunk and Falling Pizza, the even more inactive admin on the site.

Join us next time, when we will talk about… the shoe sizes of the current mods here? Who wrote these cue card?! Wait, who am I talking t-

*static*[/spoiler]

Holy crap, nervousness.

Also, I kind of want to make an intro of sorts for the video review, for which I'd need both logos.

Archived