YCM Forum Event Planning Committee

Maybe some sort of sigs as prizes for the 24 days.

I'd honestly rather have points and reps, and points and reps are completely useless.

I assume by "sigs as prizes" you mean images to put in your sig, correct? It's just 24 pictures, hardly a worthwhile prize. And then there's the fact that people who don't participate can still benefit from the prize.

"Here's your prize! It's a picture of Santa!"
"Cool, I'll put it in my sig!"

Now anyone and everyone can see the picture of Santa, right click and save it as their own, upload it to their own thing, and use it for their own sig. The people who actually "worked" for the prize would feel cheated.

You could personalize every picture, but that seems like way more work then it would be worth. And the delivery system would be incredibly slow to give out 24 of them if they were of any quality.

tl;dr - If you're personalizing them and they're high quality, it'll take a really fucking long time.

If you're personalizing them and they're not high quality, it's gonna look tacky and no one's gonna want them.

If they're not personalized and they're high quality, anyone would just take them when they see them.

If they're not personalized and low quality then no one would want them.

I vote he for a turkey hunt.

What exactly do you mean by a turkey hunt?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the fence regarding Thanksgiving, as it is purely an American holiday.
Of course, I am an American myself, and this site is American.
However, I am in a Global Citizenship class this semester, and I feel like this wouldn't be as relateable to other people as Christmas is.

@Pika: Although you posted your thoughts in the Halloween reflection thread after he mentioned idea, that might be what he was referring to. (A bunch of members post like heck, and we have to report them. Of course, that'll be hectic for the mods to deal with though)

@GLaDOS: Yeah, a lot of this site isn't American so may not get a lot of attention. Setting up for an Xmas event might be better idea (think most of the site celebrates that)

I'd honestly rather have points and reps, and points and reps are completely useless.

I assume by "sigs as prizes" you mean images to put in your sig, correct? It's just 24 pictures, hardly a worthwhile prize. And then there's the fact that people who don't participate can still benefit from the prize.

"Here's your prize! It's a picture of Santa!"
"Cool, I'll put it in my sig!"

Now anyone and everyone can see the picture of Santa, right click and save it as their own, upload it to their own thing, and use it for their own sig. The people who actually "worked" for the prize would feel cheated.

You could personalize every picture, but that seems like way more work then it would be worth. And the delivery system would be incredibly slow to give out 24 of them if they were of any quality.

tl;dr - If you're personalizing them and they're high quality, it'll take a really fucking long time.

If you're personalizing them and they're not high quality, it's gonna look tacky and no one's gonna want them.

If they're not personalized and they're high quality, anyone would just take them when they see them.

If they're not personalized and low quality then no one would want them.

What exactly do you mean by a turkey hunt?

That is true.

We would then have to work on the principle of "you don't need real prizes".

The prize is just a small symbol that you achieved something or participated, like a plastic trophy would be as opposed to a gold one.

We should not over-think what the prize should be like.

If whatever event we plan successfully becomes a fun one in the future, that's what counts I guess.

EDIT:

Also, we could either post the winners in whatever event thread there is, or have a mod give a tittle to go around with it, like LZ did with the Monster Hunter tittle.... or both.

A I said before, I explain what a turkey hunt is in one of my previous post. At least once a day, a turkey account pot somewhere randomly on the site. The first person to report it, or something similar, pherhaos PM to the butcher, gets a prize. And as I said before, it would be fun even for those who don't celebrate thanksgiving.

[quote name="Sakura Haruno" post="6300566" timestamp="1383715570"]That's pretty similar to what Pika suggested in the Halloween thread, but it can work. Plus, it'll teach people how to report spam posts or stuff that isn't following the rules, etc if there happen to be any.[/quote] Yeah, I totally meant that to be part of it....

A I said before, I explain what a turkey hunt is in one of my previous post. At least once a day, a turkey account pot somewhere randomly on the site. The first person to report it, or something similar, pherhaos PM to the butcher, gets a prize. And as I said before, it would be fun even for those who don't celebrate thanksgiving.

I don't know about fun, since that is subjective to the person and therefore those who don't celebrate the holiday may find it rather silly, however teaching those to use the report button may be a good idea.

If these Turkeys make posts that are report-worthy, those who report it should be awarded. Of course it depends: does the report system work anonymously?

Good point.

As Tyranitar or someone else mentioned, some members act as "turkeys" or whatever we decide to call them and they post around the forums. It's the member's job to find/hunt them by reporting their posts to the moderators.

We could give each member some sort of prize for finding a set amount of members participating in this event (such as reps or some form of recognition), but that kinda falls somewhere in the realm of the Halloween event.

Well, you could have them put some bird noise at the end of their posts (if not giving them their own user group like we did for the Halloween ones).

Though if we do give them a temporary group, up to us to vote on whether they'll stand out from rest of us or they'll blend in (their names will be same colored as the rest of the non-staff members).

[quote name="Shut Up Thar" post="6302520" timestamp="1384059368"]I vote no on Thanksgiving, because like several other people said, Thanksgiving is an American holiday, and a good amount of people on this site aren't from America.[/quote] And as I said before, it would be fun even they don't celebrate thanksgiving. Just want to point that out to those who share the same opinion.

The main point of it would be teaching members how to report posts if they see something that shouldn't be there (if we use your idea)

That's a good point. In that case, I'm neutral on the idea. But we still have to wait for a good majority to agree, including a mod that's willing to carry it out.

Archived