YCM Forum Event Planning Committee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should not do Thanksgiving, simply because it is an American Exclusive Holiday. Halloween, Xmas (and respective counterparts), Summer Holidays, all of those are somewhat universal. We want to hit a broad demographic, remember.

As for implementing it, I could see it as we make it a Scavenger hunt. Someone will hide the Advent in a thread, and the first to PM it to whoever will be awarded a prize, which will keep on increasing in desirability up 'til the 24th. At some point we could even Advent-off Shop Gifts, again if we can get Moderators on board.

About the Advent Calendar, that could be a nice idea with some more details added to it.
We should prepare the 24 windows with time.
It's interesting that they could be incorporated into hidden posts by the members of the club or the volunteers of the event (depending on what the event is like when it happens). Though, instead of a "K, find them good luck" or a time race, we could post riddles pointing at where said post might be at. The first person to find them and report them would get a prize of some sort. Without the spot being made public of course, so that other people into the event could have a go, even without a prize.

The problem with that is the fact that some people don't bother to go to other forums for answers, even when the answer is linked on the front page.
Maxxion's little temper tantrum last night taught me that the hard way.

We should not do Thanksgiving, simply because it is an American Exclusive Holiday. Halloween, Xmas (and respective counterparts), Summer Holidays, all of those are somewhat universal. We want to hit a broad demographic, remember.

Agreed. Besides, no one cares about Thanksgiving.

The problem with that is the fact that some people don't bother to go to other forums for answers, even when the answer is linked on the front page.
Maxxion's little temper tantrum last night taught me that the hard way.

That's not entirely true. Some members will want to get involved. One of mis amistades shocked me with his sheer interest in the Halloween Game, he seemed like the last person to want to play it, yet he did.

We can't rule out a viable option because of some party poopers.

Maxxion's little temper tantrum last night taught me that the hard way.Agreed. Besides, no one cares about Thanksgiving.

That'd make Eastern eggs hard to elaborate.

I think it's good if it ends up promoting people entering more sections of the site, even if just to look around for the hint.

I missed Maxxion's happening and I'm curious. Was it a notification?

I like sleepy's idea for Christmas, but what about thanksgiving..... But I don't know how we could do the advent this conspicuously, since people who are following threads that we post the pm in will find it immediately.

To be fair, the idea is not mine. It was brought up in the previous page.

Details are still foggy, but that could be fixed with a few fake answers at places where it could be. That way, random medium-sized colorful reindeer image would not be so obvious.

Also, people that planned the even would probably not participate. It makes more sense if we say that being part of the club doesn't automatically make you part of all events until the member decides he/she wants in. Or we could plan it via a web of PMs with very little people in it, so that many people doing it don't do what other companions are doing (not necessarily at least) or use Skype if it becomes too hard to keep doing something like that, like GlaDDOS originally wanted communication to go in the club. Especially because, if the latter is made via PMs, I'm already getting confussed by it. I can only imagine someone organizing something like that @.@"

Not like that something different. IDK, maybe where like, one person is a turkey, and they go around posting, and if people get them within thirty seconds of posting they get a prize, or something like that.

That actually sounds interesting. The turkey posts, and the first person to PM the link to that post to the "butcher", the host of the event, gets a point. The person with the most points at the end of the event gets a prize.

That actually sounds interesting. The turkey posts, and the first person to PM the link to that post to the "butcher", the host of the event, gets a point. The person with the most points at the end of the event gets a prize.

I approve, and the turkey could be a temporary new account for that week only, and every day, the login information for the turkey account gets handed off to different people, so there can always be someone being the turkey.

Honestly... unless you get a moderator (or a lot of moderators) to join the "club", you're not gonna get much done with regards to event planning.

I suppose I'll join this club, if only to be a pessimist.

Username: Pika/Assault Mode
Why Do You Want To Join?: Honestly I'm kinda having second thoughts, but it's not really "why I want to join" but more of "why does the group need the perspective of a (former) moderator to tell you what is and is not feasible". I'd be happy to not-join if some other (current) mod joined though.

On-topic: I did have ideas for events. Most of them were too terrible and/or too difficult to implement or too not-interesting, too time/work-involved. But here's my ideas. Build off them if you want or ignore them, idk.

Christmas
- Like some guy said earlier, I had an idea for an advent calander. It was gonna be pretty simple though. Just a topic in News or Announcements or something. "Post here and get a free Advent Gift!" And then get them something small, like points or rep or a "change your username" item or something.

Ultimately I didn't go with this because I couldn't really come up with 24 original gift ideas. Or 12, and then repeat them. I think my ideas were: points, reps, items (from the shop), some kind of 'Get Out of Moderation Free' card or warn level lowerer (within reason)[And most mods disagreed with that last idea BTW]. If ya'll could come up with 24 (or 12, and we repeat them) original ideas for gifts I don't see why it couldn't be a thing.

Easter
- This one would take a long time of planning to get done, but I think it would be really well done if done right. We start like... way way early, and all create alternate accounts. We make a very few posts here and there, maybe about once or twice a month every month until Easter.

Finally about a month or so before Easter the accounts get banned and long forgotten, because they weren't that interesting to begin with. The accounts then get converted into "Easter Egg" accounts. Username changed to "Easter Egg - Pink!", there avatar would be an egg, there sig would be like: "This is an official YCM Easter Egg!"

Now, all their posts are currently littering the board, starting from November to April-ish. So then it would be up to the members of the board to track down any of these members. Submit either a url of their posts or the member's account url to a mod and they'd win something terrible like 100 points or a one rep per egg. Collect all [X] of them and you get the big cash prize.

I think it would have required too much work and too much planning and I just didn't care enough to do it so I didn't do it. Before I knew it, April whatever had rolled around and by then it was too late to do anything.

The Anniversary Of the Game The World Ends With You Day
- This one's an event I actually did try to do, but like... very few people wanted to join, or the ones that did join stopped caring after a very short amount of time. It wasn't really "one game", but seven games spread out over the course of one week.

In the video game the World Ends With You, you play as Neku who (spoiler!) is dead. He wakes up in some place in Japan and his first order of business is to find a partner, since this is a DS game and we have to use both screens. He and his partner Shiki are then given random tasks to do like defeat a monster or reach a location or do some other thing within a set time limit each day. At the close of the week they have to fight the Game Master, the guy who's been giving them tasks to do.

So each day was supposed to have a different, quick little mini game. I remember the first one was "Partners". To find a partner you had to go to some preassigned topic and post "My Partner is [X]" and then the partner you wanted would have to post "My partner is [Y]" and thus a pact would be made between the two players. Mods (reapers) were allowed to post to try to break the two-link combo.

I remember another game was "start a trend" (which is kinda lifted from the game). In order to make a pin popular, they had to wear it and get others to wear it. So here on YCM, it was some crappy reaper symbol they had to have in their sig. Nothing too fancy.

And... ultimately people stopped caring so it kinda crashed on the fourth day before the big anti-climactic battle. But I still liked it and think it could have worked if anyone had cared at all. e_e

SO THAT'S MY IDEAS FOR EVENTS!

Welcome to the team, Pika. I figure your advice would be pretty valuable.
So, why can't primary accounts be temporarily banned?
I asked Legend Zero this question, and all he said was that it would never happen.

When LZ says "we can't ban accounts for events" what he really means is "shouldn't". It's just... messy.

Maybe some sort of sigs as prizes for the 24 days. Each day getting some theme, and each sig being of that theme.

Taking my random list as example, the 9th Reindeer of Santa Claus Rudolph on the 9th day. Result: Rudolph sig.

Or something like that.

Though on the downside. It sounds like a ton of work for the people making the sig(s), and that also implies making some sort of pact with a designer too.

Also, having the planning stage be complicated doesn't mean the event itself will be, so complex stuff is also worth a shot people.

In fact, since this is a planning thread, you should be happy it gives us more work to do xD

That'll work, though like someone mentioned earlier, not everyone celebrates certain holidays.

If we do Thanksgiving, we'll have to plan it out + get it to LZ and started before the thing is supposed to start, which allows about 3 weeks to do everything. Meaning prizes for doing certain things and for that matter, what do you need to be doing for it.

I like Akari's idea as well though

Archived