Major OCG rule changes

The OCG is getting some major rule changes, which will take effect on March 21:

1.) The player going first cannot draw on the first turn.

2.) Both players can both have a Field Spell Card on the field, simultaneously.

3.) The text for Official Card Game cards will be made easier to read.

Source:  http://www.ygorganization.com/ocg-v-jump-time/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yugioh taking up MTG's play/draw system is VERY interesting. Been a long time since I played yugioh, but I have a feeling this makes going second a better option since having an extra card can be huge.

But going first means you not only get to set up more but you're also less vulnerable to and more likely to resolve Evilswarm Exciton Knight.

That said, field change seems like it'll do more harm to the gamestate than good. Chateau, Gates, Hunting Grounds, Ghostricks all get a real boost from that.
EDIT: And Babylon, Mount, Heraldry Aug...

So they're searchable 1-per-player continuous spells that require you to waste your MST or other resources in them

On one hand the shittier ones got better

On the other so did the good ones

yugioooooooh

I quite like the draw thing, actually. It makes it much less of a die-roll game and you really have to think strategically about going first or second. I hope the TCG adopts the same rule. I don't like the Field Spell thing though, since that ruins the entire concept of what a Field Spell actually is. It is supposed to be an area of land that covers the entire field (think Duelist Kingdom) and its impossible to have two lots of land on top of each other...

I quite like the draw thing, actually. It makes it much less of a die-roll game and you really have to think strategically about going first or second. I hope the TCG adopts the same rule. I don't like the Field Spell thing though, since that ruins the entire concept of what a Field Spell actually is. It is supposed to be an area of land that covers the entire field (think Duelist Kingdom) and its impossible to have two lots of land on top of each other...

Then again, MtG's new legendary rule that implemented last July...

Though, in Duelist Kingdom they were more along the lines of "70% Ocean, 30% Forest" so they DID have multiple Field Spells in play.

Besides, the terrain is meaningless as a terrain if it's just one-sided support for a team. Even if it's not AS good, the enemy team should still be able to make some tiny use off of the non-home terrain they fight in. It's only natural, but the game doesn't mimic that at all.

Whenever Field Spells are decently relevant, the game half-becomes Field Spell activation wars, in which is not all that bad for thinking, but decks that function with them are often awful without them, which unbalances them too much.

On the down side though, some Field Spell Cards can get so problematic that it becomes really handy getting rid of them by playing another one.... and I don't really like now just depending on an MST to do it. *sigh*

I hope I'm not the only one who noticed the obvious typo in teh date that the changes would be implemented.

The "no draw if you go first" rule is pretty interesting as it would make players think whether they want to go first or second rather than "I won the die roll so I go first, hurr" that a lot players do. I don't like the "both players can have a field spell" thing tbh, and as for the OCG cards being easier to read, on one hand it's good for them, but on the other hand with PSCT over here, I'd rather not have that rule change come over here.

I'm actually for the field spell change purely from a game play stand point. By design field spells have a draw back, they get worse in multiples since if you already have one in play you can't play one yourself. The old ruling made them worse by creating a game play dynamic of "who blinks first" since if both players have field spells playing yours first just leaves you open to havings yours blown up for free. From what little I know of competitive yugioh I don't think it is that relevant since the games end quickly normally anyway, but when this isn't the case it creates an unfun play experance. I saw a comment linking this to the legend rule in Magic and it does have a a fair number of similarities. 

I'm actually for the field spell change purely from a game play stand point. By design field spells have a draw back, they get worse in multiples since if you already have one in play you can't play one yourself. The old ruling made them worse by creating a game play dynamic of "who blinks first" since if both players have field spells playing yours first just leaves you open to havings yours blown up for free. From what little I know of competitive yugioh I don't think it is that relevant since the games end quickly normally anyway, but when this isn't the case it creates an unfun play experance. I saw a comment linking this to the legend rule in Magic and it does have a a fair number of similarities. 

There's also that the old rule doesn't allow for defensive Field Spells to really exist, since the other player will take it out during their turn and all....

How case by case future design turns out will dictate how this turns out overall. I'm hoping for not soft-locks or anything of the sort to pop out in there.

I don't particularly like what this means for Closed Forest..

I was also thinking this. It won't be able to lock Field Spells if your opponent had one already, making it pretty much useless/much less useful unless you get it turn 1. I know Yu-Gi-Oh hates doing this, but I think an errata would probably be needed (for OCG anyway) to make it destroy the Field Spell with its effect when activated.

They're probably experimenting with the "first turn draw" thing, which makes sense. I'm not sure if that'd be a good change or not, though. Magic it works with because of the resource system, and because your opening hand is 7 cards. Decks that don't get a lot of advantage from their plays will prefer going second now, because the extra draw matters a lot to them.

Archived