Major OCG rule changes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY WORTHLESS OPINION(s)

Rule 1: In all my years of yugioh-ing, if given the choice between going first and second, I always pick first. Going first always gives you the advantage, and leaves your opponent playing catch-up the whole rest of the duel. Regarding this rule change, I don't really see it as trying to "balance" the game. It just seems like you just moved a pile of crap from one side of the room to the other. It doesn't feel balanced, I'm just gonna pick going second now instead of going first. I'll get the first draw, and I'll get the first to attack, and I'll get the effects that need an opponent's monster on the field like Photon Thrasher, Tefnuit and Cyber Dragon. Seems like they nerfed Turn 1 Player, and they greatly buffed Turn 2 Player.

Rule 2: Do the effects stack? If I have Geartown on the field, and my opponent had Geartown on the field, can we summon Ancient Gear Golem with no tribute? Do our monsters gain 1000 attack when Yami is on the field? Is the field spell only active for the player who's field it is on? Seems like it complicates quite a few older field spells.

Rule 3: They said the same about the current TCG wording and I still find it complicated, probably because I never bothered to actually read how it works. "No, stuff after commas MUST happen, stuff after semi-colons only happen sometimes, colons are a bit of a wild card...." F[orget] that noise.

Cost: Discard a Destiny Hero
Effect: Draw 2

Much simpler than this whole colon, semi-colon, comma crap.

The field spell rule is awful, field spell wars are an important part of the game and the whole idea of them is that there's one affecting both sides of the field.

We'll have to see what the drawing actually means for the game but I'm not convinced either. I'm sure bringing Heavy back to 1 would rectify the advantage gained by going first much more easily.

The field spell rule is awful, field spell wars are an important part of the game and the whole idea of them is that there's one affecting both sides of the field.

We'll have to see what the drawing actually means for the game but I'm not convinced either. I'm sure bringing Heavy back to 1 would rectify the advantage gained by going first much more easily.

But why the hell would you bring a degenerate backrow nuke in order to rectify the gamestate? That's like throwing oil on fire.

And Heavy's still legal in the OCG, so clearly they disagree with your point.

But why the hell would you bring a degenerate backrow nuke in order to rectify the gamestate? That's like throwing oil on fire.

And Heavy's still legal in the OCG, so clearly they disagree with your point.

It's not really a degenerate gamestate, it just discourages throwing down 5 backrow turn 1 and sitting on them.

It's not really a degenerate gamestate, it just discourages throwing down 5 backrow turn 1 and sitting on them.

But that's not a fucking problem

Like, okay, it's a small one. But I'd rather have set 5 pass when there's only 1 Warning (And Black Horn if you run it) than 1 Heavy. Most relevant backrow is at low numbers, as is Rai-Oh, so it's not like their set 5's going to be the best stuff evar 9/10.

Heavy's just an OTK mongering card that degrades the gamestate and adds nothing healthy to it.

But that's not a f***ing problem

Like, okay, it's a small one. But I'd rather have set 5 pass when there's only 1 Warning (And Black Horn if you run it) than 1 Heavy. Most relevant backrow is at low numbers, as is Rai-Oh, so it's not like their set 5's going to be the best stuff evar 9/10.

Heavy's just an OTK mongering card that degrades the gamestate and adds nothing healthy to it.

Heavy's not an OTK mongering card anymore than Trap Stun or, to a worse extent, Trunade. Normally Heavy just hits 2 backrow to give yourself a small advantage in the game. Setting 1-2 or maybe 3 backrow and actually playing the game with monster effects seems to me to be a superior way of playing than backrow wars.

Heavy's not an OTK mongering card anymore than Trap Stun or, to a worse extent, Trunade. Normally Heavy just hits 2 backrow to give yourself a small advantage in the game. Setting 1-2 or maybe 3 backrow and actually playing the game with monster effects seems to me to be a superior way of playing than backrow wars.

Uh, no?

Trap Stun can OTK, but it doesn't completely blow you out for daring to set cards/play something continuous. You have to act like heavy doesn't exist or you lose anyways in most decks, so adding it back doesn't even change the set x pass to any higher level player.

All Heavy adds to the gamestate is a ridiculous free advantage shift that doesn't help the game at all. If you have such a problem with them setting a lot, you have up to 3 MST, 3 Lance, and you an even run shit like Night Beam if you want.

Trap Stun is a trap, doesn't bounce your own cards so you can re-use/reshuffle them, and doesn't destroy the opponent. Cards like Swift Scarecrow still exist, so getting Trap Stunned might not be game, but Heavy sure will set you back unless you run bad shit like Starlight Road.

It's not a fair card and idk why any self respecting player would want it back.

I hope the TCG doesn't adopt this practice.
We've spent 3 years adapting to PSCT.
I don't want ANOTHER format to deal with.

_____

Numbering effects isn't something to "adapt" to. It makes the card a lot easier to read (though, giving the effects their own line like every other card game would be better), and It's something that should've been done years ago (or, at least with the PSCT).

This is arguably the best of the new changes.

MY WORTHLESS OPINION(s)

Rule 2: Do the effects stack? If I have Geartown on the field, and my opponent had Geartown on the field, can we summon Ancient Gear Golem with no tribute? Do our monsters gain 1000 attack when Yami is on the field? Is the field spell only active for the player who's field it is on? Seems like it complicates quite a few older field spells.

Rule 3: They said the same about the current TCG wording and I still find it complicated, probably because I never bothered to actually read how it works. "No, stuff after commas MUST happen, stuff after semi-colons only happen sometimes, colons are a bit of a wild card...." F[orget] that noise.

Cost: Discard a Destiny Hero
Effect: Draw 2

Much simpler than this whole colon, semi-colon, comma crap.

Yes the effects would stack. It'll be unusual, but when it happens, it's just like having 2 Continuous Spell Cards activated.

I wonder what'd happen with Ojama Country's switching stat effect.

You can't separate many of the effects out there into their own lines because even as is, the box gets filled. We don't have the luxury of giving them 20 lines of text, and you have to assume many will need more than a single line.

Also, it's not complicated at all. What's so complicated about it?
Condition (if any) : Cost (if any) ; Effect

Otherwise the effect is continuous or not an effect at all.

What would be complicated, is a non-continuous effect that had no conditions or costs, but that doesn't even exist. Can it even exist?

I think Problem-Solving Text is one of the best things to happen to the TCG in a while. Very few cards got worse lores (like Necrovalley) but for the most part it really is helpful to understand the way things work.

Yes the effects would stack. It'll be unusual, but when it happens, it's just like having 2 Continuous Spell Cards activated.

I wonder what'd happen with Ojama Country's switching stat effect.

Probably the same thing that happens with Bad Reaction to Simochi vs Prime Material Dragon

You're not fooling anyone Agro.

We at Konami do not try to fool anyone. We understand the inherent knowledge of our player-base and take actions in good faith under the knowledge that they will play along no matter how dumb the idea is.

Archived