Legend of Korra

Ren✧

Thats what she did? I just thought it was spirit magic or something. 

Also, just going to point out the Korra is a horrible fighter. Seriously, how many important fights has she won on her own. Hell, in the final battle in each season she doesn't even beat the bad guy 1 on 1. Amon fled because he revealed himself, Unalaq was beaten with a major assist from Jinora, and Zaheer was beaten with a major assist from Jinora. 

Yeah, you have a point, she hasn't actually beaten a foe on her own.  Aang in his Avatar state was pretty much unbeatable. The only time Korra has been somewhat formidable is in the fight with Zaheer and even then its only thanks to Jinora that he's caught, like you said. So Aang>Korra

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire episode was great. The Mako part aknowledged how horrible the relationships were handled in Season 1/2, the Korra part did a pretty nice job showing how Korra has grown as a character/the fact that she's had a pretty damn rough time as the Avatar, and Varrick is just being freakin' Varrick.

Honestly, this was a really nice recap episode. Josh and I didn't expect to go in liking it, but we just couldn't hate it.

Personally I felt like how it was handled was very, very nice. Black said something during the episode that I really liked.

[spoiler=Skype Excerpt]

[12:39:05 AM] Josh: .... oh i get it now
[12:39:15 AM] Josh: She's not supposed to fear amon, zahir, etc.
[12:39:15 AM] Josh: she's
[12:39:17 AM] Josh: not even
[12:39:25 AM] Josh: supposed to acknowledge they had good ideals bad extremes
[12:39:33 AM] Josh: but... she got their TECHNIQUES >>
[12:39:36 AM] Aubrey: ...
[12:39:36 AM] Josh: she understands what amon did
[12:39:37 AM] Aubrey: >>
[12:39:47 AM] Josh: both bending and reason
[12:40:03 AM] Josh: she CAN do what unaloq could
[12:40:06 AM] Josh: and that leaves zahir... >>
[12:40:12 AM] Aubrey: >>
[12:40:20 AM] Josh: >>
[12:40:34 AM] Josh: she has to go learn from gim
[12:40:35 AM] Josh: him
[/spoiler]

We don't know if it's true, but considering what happened with this episode, I'm leaning towards it a little bit.

And I agree, Bolin has been really good this past season, and Season 3 he was doing pretty well to.

I don't think thats it. I think what was happening was Korra kept trying to run away and/forget about what happened. Too lazy to look back,but I'm willing to bet that when she flashback to her fight with Zaheer she always forces herself awake before it finishes playing out. Because of this she wasn't able to accept what had happened and ended up being weighed down by it.

New episode was good. Action was good as always. Bolin was a lot more grating here than he has been, but you can't help but like him. The drama with Chief Beifong felt kind of forced though. Stuff with the spirits also didn't feel that needed by thats more nitpicky. 

I concur.  I feel like the Spirit bit was kind of meh.  It was almost certain to come down to what Korra could do alone.

Yeah I was also bothered a bit by the spirits scene. That's the way they've always acted.

Though action here is arguably the most fluid that we've had this season. 

We have what? 3 more episodes to go? Tss the climax is coming soon.

Well, Zhu Li is back on this side, her intentions now clear (willing to stop the experiment from within even at the cost of her life along with the enemy's), and I'm looking forward to her reunion with Varrick, personally.

Oh and:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--sieIRpAY--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ksni2rvkebxzndgu3bhu.jpg

I wish they'd left her true goals a little more ambiguous until she gets found out. Like having Toph smile or something when she knows something is up with her would have been a great hint, but wouldn't have be so blunt about it. Take for example when Toph looks REALLY sad after talking with Lin. That was good. 

Also speaking of her, the "you give metal benders a bad name" line was just so bad. It just felt so unnatural. 

I wish they'd left her true goals a little more ambiguous until she gets found out. Like having Toph smile or something when she knows something is up with her would have been a great hint, but wouldn't have be so blunt about it. Take for example when Toph looks REALLY sad after talking with Lin. That was good. 

Also speaking of her, the "you give metal benders a bad name" line was just so bad. It just felt so unnatural. 

I think they were more trying to showcase her ability to know when people are lying, and doing so in a way that people that watched ATLA would remember (because she was always blunt about these kinds of things a number of times). This being technically another series and all, and to be honest, I kind of had forgotten she could do that so it really worked for me to get all excited that well... Toph was there in the action like old times.

Though other than that, I can get what you are saying... In general in story-telling, what you are suggesting should have happened, is mostly always the better and more skillful course of action to take. Personally, I think we can cut the show some slack on this one ^^"

The "you give metal benders a bad name" I agree. I suppose she just was trapped in the heat of the moment. Last time I remember that happening to her was when she confessed to Sokka at the serpent's pass without knowing she was talking with Suki... but even if it has happened before, yeah this one was a bit forced.

I think they were more trying to showcase her ability to know when people are lying, and doing so in a way that people that watched ATLA would remember (because she was always blunt about these kinds of things a number of times). This being technically another series and all, and to be honest, I kind of had forgotten she could do that so it really worked for me to get all excited that well... Toph was there in the action like old times.

Though other than that, I can get what you are saying... In general in story-telling, what you are suggesting should have happened, is mostly always the better and more skillful course of action to take. Personally, I think we can cut the show some slack on this one ^^"

The "you give metal benders a bad name" I agree. I suppose she just was trapped in the heat of the moment. Last time I remember that happening to her was when she confessed to Sokka at the serpent's pass without knowing she was talking with Suki... but even if it has happened before, yeah this one was a bit forced.

I guess its fair that this is a new show and the lie detection think hasn't really been address. Though a counter point would be that Toph being there at all exists purely for the TLA fans who would know how she works anyway. And yea, it is another nitpick. I feel like an issue I've had with this season as a whole is its not very subtle. The writing is pretty blunt and more show less tell would be better. Again, the sad Toph scene in this episode would be an example. 

I do get what they were going for with the line but it just didn't work. 

You think so?  I actually kind of liked that line.  Out of place, sure.  But I felt it was timed properly after Toph up and broke the fight apart.

You think so?  I actually kind of liked that line.  Out of place, sure.  But I felt it was timed properly after Toph up and broke the fight apart.

Seemed in place to me, Toph seems like the kind of person who would be rather proud of her accomplishments, which include basically creating and popularizing metalbending.

It doesn't shock me that she said that to Kuvira at all.

Ok, so the finale. Honestly, it was just like 35 minutes of action. Seeing as how thats where the series is at its strongest I can dig it. Honestly, not a ton more to say other than that.

[spoiler=Ending]
Kuvria was not a good villain. Them trying to play her as being like Korra and trying to make her sympathetic like they did was just a miss. YOU TRIED TO KILL YOUR FIANCE! YOU KNEW FULL WELL WHAT YOU WERE DOING!

I do NOT like Korrasami. Like, nothing about it feel organic to the show and its just shippers who like to run away with things. That said, while I'm almost certain the ending is purely them pandering to the shippers, I like that its played subtly. I've said MAANY times in this thread that is something they needed to be doing, and it only took till the end, but they got it. Also, not everyone will see it as Korrasami. At least my one friend didn't.

Also, totally cool with the Varrick stuff. Helps that I love him and his waifu.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=lolspoilers]I'm legitimately surprised they went with a canon lesbian ending as the finale.

Not like... mad or disappointed or anything like that. Just... surprised they snuck that into a kids show. I halfway exp expected them to move in towards each other as they held hands and faced each other.

Then again, it could... not be canon lesbians I guess... up to someone on the team to make a comment but... wow. The only other pairing I would have wanted would have been more Bopal.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=spoiler]

That scene at the end is not all that "subtle". They hold hands as they walk, not as in Korra guiding but side by side. They look at each others' eyes and even seem to get slightly closer to each other as the camera closes up. I half-expected them to kiss at this point, and although the word "kids show" comes to mind, they have gone a bit beyond kids show in terms of standards sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went for it. Yeah of course they didn't.

Then again, Mako and Korra also have their share of nice reaction exchanges, so I guess they were pandering to more than one fan... thing.

I'm kind of disappointed that fire was a bit underused. Zuko never came back to fight after he got beaten by Zaheer early last season, his daughter never does anything at all, and his grandson (I think it is his grandson) just had screen time to surrender immediately, and didn't even join the fight afterwards (probably a war prisoner back there, but still). Korra used mostly earth and air this season.

Yeah Kubira is the kind of villain that needed to go out in flames. Zaheer's group was justified by having a mindset that they actually believed in their cause wholeheartedly. Kubira invaded her own home-town which was already like the only city that had stayed in order all those years. She fired at her own fiancee without giving it much thought and that was just so stupid because Korra's idea was a desperate almost no-win scenario (what was stopping Kubira of breaking her word and keep attacking after the condition of giving back Jr?). She enslaved not just bandits and outlaws but also portions of her own citizens for not-crimes-at-all. She can't suddenly get an "honest feelings talk" even if they are on the spirit world, and she had her troops brain-washed and sweet-talked enough to make them go invade other places, it feels wrong that they'd also go "alright then" and lower their weapons if they believed in the cause rather than just getting mindlessly bossed around. Wasn't there even a motivation speech for them before attacking?

I wanted this to showcase a party not just with the locals at Republic City. I wanted to see the remnants of old team avatar together, and possibly the water twins (though maybe these last ones appeared during the wedding and I just missed them).

Oh and it seems she's not getting back any connections with her past lives after all. I understand why, but still hoped to see those again... Especially Wan, I loved that avatar.

Action was great though xP

[/spoiler]

Archived