Legend of Korra

Ren✧

Reall wish they showed what is so evil about Metalbending lady. They kept telling us she was the big bad, but she didn't seem horrible. Hell of a lot better than the price dude or w/e. Couldn't stand him.

When the airbenders had the food stolen they looked so stupid. You saw the plane, get up and cut the line before the guy even starts coming down. And you know, had you not fallen off, you could have tried to follow after them.

Over all, was still enjoyable. Curious to see where we go from here.

I didn't actually get Big Bad vibes from Kuvira yet; I wouldn't even necessarily expect that from her if we didn't see her fighting Korra and stuff during the Book 4 trailer. 

I think she might not even be ultimately evil, it's just that her methods of restoring order will upset the balance of the Avatar world since it was once imbalanced by a major power (Fire Nation) working everything and Korra needs to prevent her from turning into the new Ozai.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't actually get Big Bad vibes from Kuvira yet; I wouldn't even necessarily expect that from her if we didn't see her fighting Korra and stuff during the Book 4 trailer. 

I think she might not even be ultimately evil, it's just that her methods of restoring order will upset the balance of the Avatar world since it was once imbalanced by a major power (Fire Nation) working everything and Korra needs to prevent her from turning into the new Ozai.

Thing is, all 3 of the bad guys we've had so far are people "trying to do good with secret sinister intentions". She would fall under this. However the episode kept making a big deal out of how horrible she really is, but side from people saying it, we didn't see anything that could lead us to think that. I just wanted more evidence that she isn't to be trusted.

I thought the premiere was actually a bit disappointing, but that might be due to the almost unattainable expectations I had built for it. 

I definitely feel for Korra. The final tear at the end of book 3, I think, is the realization that she is no longer needed. I mean, Tenzin's gesture was nice, what with having the airbenders practically become jedi knights, but it was just more proof that Korra's job can be done by anyone. Anyway, I think that is what she is trying to come to terms with. I think she has accepted the fact that she is outdated(a sentiment that I don't quite buy, but clearly see that they are pushing the theme), and she is merely trying to be an average citizen. I don't see it as giving up, but rather trying to find new purpose. 

Fire
Bomb
Lava
Lightning
Fire Breath

Water
Ice
Blood Bending
Healing

Earth
Metal Bend

Air
Flight
Breath removal

Spirit

Am I forgetting any bending?

Fire:

Heat in general(in ATLA, we see Sozin bend the hot air out of lava, causing it to instantly cool)

Water:

Plantbending

Earth:

Sand

There is also talk of energy bending, which I suppose you could categorize as spirit bending, but I could see the argument that it is different as well.

Also, Spiritbending could arguably be a subset of waterbending(in terms of getting rid of dark spirits) or airbending(Jinora's astral projection)

The spirits I love on the fact it gives a ghibli feel. Do you think there could be hybrids?

As in like Spirit/Human hybrids? I doubt it. For the most part, Spirits have an animalistic/monstrous physique, making relations between the two not just improbable, but nearly impossible. The only human-like spirits I can think of are the Painted Lady and the Moon Spirit(post-Yue Sacrifice). Although, I suppose you could argue that we've already seen a spirit/human hybrid. Unavaatu(Unalaq+Vaatu). And even the Avatars, seeing as they each have Raava inside of them. So I guess, it is possible for them to have hybrids, and for the most part they are quite powerful.

Now that I am thinking about it, didn't we see the Aye-Aye spirit(the one that called Wan "stinky") merge with a human and then un-merge, leaving the man with spirit-like characteristics?

Well, it was obvious Kuvira would be pretty important in this book since she got an introduction in the end of the last one.

But yeah, as it's been said, she's not really a Big Bad, more of a Well Intentioned Extremist, like the rest of the books' villains.

I thought the premiere was actually a bit disappointing, but that might be due to the almost unattainable expectations I had built for it. 

I definitely feel for Korra. The final tear at the end of book 3, I think, is the realization that she is no longer needed. I mean, Tenzin's gesture was nice, what with having the airbenders practically become jedi knights, but it was just more proof that Korra's job can be done by anyone. Anyway, I think that is what she is trying to come to terms with. I think she has accepted the fact that she is outdated(a sentiment that I don't quite buy, but clearly see that they are pushing the theme), and she is merely trying to be an average citizen. I don't see it as giving up, but rather trying to find new purpose. 

IMO the reason Korra is acting the way she is is simply because of how badly the poison screwed with her. Case and point, her losing her match. She is still physically and emotionally drained from it. She went out on her own to heal herself. Or, to try and find her own inner balance.

Fire
Bomb
Lava
Lightning
Fire Breath

Water
Ice
Blood Bending
Healing

Earth
Metal Bend

Air
Flight
Breath removal

Spirit

Am I forgetting any bending?

Isn't Lava bending part of the Earth, since only two known Lava benders are known... Bolin and one of the four bad guys in Season 3 (dont remember the name) who is also a Earth Bender

Just wondering!!!!

Bomb is canon-ly known as combustion bending. Spirit is seen several times through both series. Most predominantly this is seen throughout Book 2 of Korra. Unalaq is seen spirit bending dark spirits away, and he later teaches this skill to Korra, who in turn tries to use it to get rid of the Spirit Vines in Republic City. Additionally, Jinora classifies her astral projection as a "high level airbending move" with some spirit-y stuff thrown in. Which is why I said it could be classified as a water or airbending subskill.

Energybending, I believe, is what Aang uses to take Ozai's bending. Additionally, I think it is energy bending that allows him to find Appa and Momo when they visit the swampbenders in ATLA

Isn't Lava bending part of the Earth, since only two known Lava benders are known... Bolin and one of the four bad guys in Season 3 (dont remember the name) who is also a Earth Bender

Just wondering!!!!

Good point, it is definitely a subskill of earthbending. Don't know why I didn't catch it before. Although, the very first time we saw lavabending was actually in ATLA. We see one of the past avatars make a volcano erupt in a flashback. In the avatar extras edition of the show, it stated that only the avatar could lavabend because it was a mixture of fire and earthbending, something they obviously didn't follow through with in Korra. 

Bomb is canon-ly known as combustion bending. Spirit is seen several times through both series. Most predominantly this is seen throughout Book 2 of Korra. Unalaq is seen spirit bending dark spirits away, and he later teaches this skill to Korra, who in turn tries to use it to get rid of the Spirit Vines in Republic City. Additionally, Jinora classifies her astral projection as a "high level airbending move" with some spirit-y stuff thrown in. Which is why I said it could be classified as a water or airbending subskill.

Ah, combustion chick. I don't really know if that's really bending though, in the comics, this giant spirit dude had the mark too, not sure if they ever expanded on that.

Oh right, never really thought of that as bending either though, but I guess it is. They never really seem to explain that too much.

Ah, combustion chick. I don't really know if that's really bending though, in the comics, this giant spirit dude had the mark too, not sure if they ever expanded on that.

Oh right, never really thought of that as bending either though, but I guess it is. They never really seem to explain that too much.

Combustion bending is definitely a form of bending. The giant spirit dude? Not really sure who you are talking about there. Combustion Man, the unnamed bounty hunter in ATLA, had the same mark on his head, but that's because Combustion Bending is focused on the chakra in the center of the forehead. The eye tattoo is done to help focus the chakra in order to successfully combustion bend.

The spiritual projection is definitely classified as bending as well. Now, the spirit bending subskill of waterbending isn't listed in the specialized bending techniques on the AvatarWiki, but it is a pretty undeniable fact that it is in fact a waterbending art as well. 

Combustion bending is definitely a form of bending. The giant spirit dude? Not really sure who you are talking about there. Combustion Man, the unnamed bounty hunter in ATLA, had the same mark on his head, but that's because Combustion Bending is focused on the chakra in the center of the forehead. The eye tattoo is done to help focus the chakra in order to successfully combustion bend.

I believe he was in The Search, I forgot his name though. Nothing about the mark was talked about though, it was just said he was a very old spirit, so I assume he's like the original combustion bender.

Bending around spirits to purify them wouldn't really be bending. Or rather, a specific category of bending. It's more of a ritual of purification, and I assume they can make it work regardless of if it is water, fire, air, or however earth bending could make it work. That's my theory at least.

Lava bending was Roku's skill. I don't think Korra was actually around in fighting conditions when lava guy attacked at practically any time, so we never really saw if she could or not. It was too heavily implied throughout season 3 that main characters would end up against a specific opponent, and Korra's was Zaheer. Still its one of those things I would have liked to happen at least once just for the sake of an explanation. One explanation is that ATLA was more kid friendly, so they didn't want to have earth benders potentially being able to think about learning to melt rocks. You could touch fire and be fine for a moment or two in a fight, but lava even being a meter away from you is enough to cook.

There shouldn't be a reason earth benders couldn't learn it, it is basically molten rock. Though it'd take a certain mindset to achieve it, since just like with metal bending, the particles are arranged differently. In metal bending they are more thinly dispersed in a way earth benders typically needed extra concentration to find in objects. In lava bending they are moving around everywhere, being the liquid state in extremely high temperatures that it is. There is not really a reason earth benders couldn't learn both methods if they train themselves properly IMO, so while I thought Bolin lava bending was cool, I did not really get satisfied with the implication of "you couldn't metal bend because you are a lava bender". I just have trouble buying it at all.

Combustion bending needs a solid explanation about its origins, ways it works, and how common it is. We can infer how it works mostly, but nothing is really clear enough.

I expected Jinora's projection technique to be purely spiritual and it'd make sense, until she specifically mentioned it was air bending related. Now it needs more of an explanation.

About the episode:

Korra is not disappointing. It was obvious that Korra intended to really go to Republic City. That wasn't a lie when she mentioned it to her family. She decided to do otherwise just a little bit before reaching her goal, and she didn't know how to go about it with her family afterwards. They would most likely just demand her return if she had told them the truth. She needs this alone time anyways, and there really aren't many more ways to get it, especially when you body is in recovery and everyone around you knows it.

I don't really understand Covira's success here. I thought she was just a metal bending soldier like many others that went to help against Zaheer (as in her rank I mean, it was obvious they'd do something with her from the screen time she was given last season, much like how it was evident they'd make something with Azula one season before her actual relevance). Is the metal bending clan so prosperous that they can get instant food for an entire town with ease? I'd like to see exactly the point in which she started crawling up to having this much power over the earth kingdom.

Toph looks more decrepit than I expected, and at first I thought "what has become of you?" from looking at her home, but then I remembered what her personality was always like. She obviously enjoys being in a place free of rules, with lots of earth around, and just being incredibly informal. I'd say she sounds like she'd be tons happier where she is now than when she was a chief of police. Though at the same time I thought some of that ought to have had changed as she grew up and acquired responsibilities and a family. I could speculate a lot of things about her but I don't want this post to be much longer than it already got xD

Since Korra is Aang, only Sokka's whereabouts are a mystery (and yes I know he's dead but I include "next lifetimes" in this).

My favorite part of the episode for some reason was Aang's picture xD

My favorite part of the episode for some reason was Aang's picture xD

Yeah, it's even more hilarious now that I'm getting a good solid look at it. XD

bF7D1Jq.png?1

During Korra's visions, we only ever saw him be super serious, so it's nice to know he never lost his fun side.

Archived