Legend of Korra

Ren✧

Well, I'm glad Bolin tried jumping ship, though the current situation sucks.

I'm hoping Zhu Li is putting up an act too, but it's hard to say. I could also see her outburst there being genuine.

I'm fine with the Asami stuff since this is the last season and this kind of closure is nice to put in before her story ends.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On last week's episode
Yes those weren't the past enemies' real intentions, but the ideals they seemed to pledge to weren't wrong. Korra seemed to associate everything about them with "bad" without realizing it, dropping off even what made those enemies get the approval they got in their time. I think that's what Toph was supposed to deliver, but wording could have been better. Even my wording could have been better. I don't blame the show because the show has some lack of time, and it might be a little bit on the "nitpicking" side ever so slightly, but yeah, I see where the complaint comes from.

On this week's episode

Asami felt a bit too separated from the rest of the episode and I am not a real big fan of when a person makes a relatively quick 180 without showing the transition. She just sat at a nearby park and developed somewhat off-screen. I also think her scenes would have fit in well in last week's episode, where Toph was talking about embracing your enemies, or part of them at least. Not the exact same topic, but it'd at least be more tied to that than to this week's episode, and I agree that last week's search of the kids was like 80% pointless and annoying so there is that.

Varrick is looking a little bit too useless this time around. He's been able to fool national security before. One would think he'd be more cool headed and not just barge out running. I also am a little bit annoyed when a bunch of people running with all their might with a bit of time of lead are immediately caught up with, by pursuers using the same technology to go after them and without the knowledge of what direction the fugitives were headed for. All because of a moment of discussion. Not to mention Varrick being caught with that much ease is really irritating after seeing Zhu Li and Bolin fight so well.

I'm doubtful about Zhu Li's betrayal though. I can see both sides happening. She could be doing this as part of her plan to save everyone, but we also were shown a hint of her feelings in this episode when she was saved by Varrick and when she was shot by him accidentally in the robot fight, and believe that her attitude is also justified. It's not the first time he's done crap to her though, so either she is lying right now, or they'll get back together pretty soon anyways.

On last week's episode
Yes those weren't the past enemies' real intentions, but the ideals they seemed to pledge to weren't wrong. Korra seemed to associate everything about them with "bad" without realizing it, dropping off even what made those enemies get the approval they got in their time. I think that's what Toph was supposed to deliver, but wording could have been better. Even my wording could have been better. I don't blame the show because the show has some lack of time, and it might be a little bit on the "nitpicking" side ever so slightly, but yeah, I see where the complaint comes from.

On this week's episode

Asami felt a bit too separated from the rest of the episode and I am not a real big fan of when a person makes a relatively quick 180 without showing the transition. She just sat at a nearby park and developed somewhat off-screen. I also think her scenes would have fit in well in last week's episode, where Toph was talking about embracing your enemies, or part of them at least. Not the exact same topic, but it'd at least be more tied to that than to this week's episode, and I agree that last week's search of the kids was like 80% pointless and annoying so there is that.

Varrick is looking a little bit too useless this time around. He's been able to fool national security before. One would think he'd be more cool headed and not just barge out running. I also am a little bit annoyed when a bunch of people running with all their might with a bit of time of lead are immediately caught up with, by pursuers using the same technology to go after them and without the knowledge of what direction the fugitives were headed for. All because of a moment of discussion. Not to mention Varrick being caught with that much ease is really irritating after seeing Zhu Li and Bolin fight so well.

I'm doubtful about Zhu Li's betrayal though. I can see both sides happening. She could be doing this as part of her plan to save everyone, but we also were shown a hint of her feelings in this episode when she was saved by Varrick and when she was shot by him accidentally in the robot fight, and believe that her attitude is also justified. It's not the first time he's done crap to her though, so either she is lying right now, or they'll get back together pretty soon anyways.

I guess thats fair. The equalists were fighting for equality and I honestly believe they as a group felt that. Just Amon never gave off the impression of caring about the people's plight. And while Unalaq was the most obvious villian he did get Korra to open the gate. In talking with a friend about this, his senitment was that it felt like Toph was trying to say "they were good people who went to far", which is very different from "they were bad people who said they were fighting for good things".

I was talking about the episode with my friends and that scene was just horrible. Not only because it was dumb, but because of how stereotypical it was. Like, thats the kind of scene you see people parody, and here it was played straight which is a "what" moment.

I can agree with Varrick being pretty useless. Also, the ease at which people find people fleeing is kind of bad, and this would apply to a LOT of things. I know when I was thinking through the episode again I was like, why are they in the robots if they can likely run faster. Hell, Bolin was BETTER OFF without it. 

Yea, as said, she has been with him for WAY to long and put up with WAY to much crap from him to just turn on him like that. I honestly would be unhappy if the turn was for real since I enjoy their dynamic, even if I feel she gets too much crap from him.

Also, most bad guys are obvious, even when (or maybe especially when) they think they're being secretive about it. I mean, now she's actually doing evil stuff, something you complained wasn't happening earlier.

Know I already responded to this, but (as said above) when I was talking about the episode with my friends again I ended up saying what my problem is better. I don't think it wasn't such much that they weren't showing her doing evil things (yes that is how I said it, which was poor word choice) it is more so they kept going "bad things happen to people that speak out against her" and "we know what happens to the other towns you rule" but outside ofthat they weren't actually saying what it was about her that was so bad. Like had they said, "those that speak out against her end up in 'reeducational facilities'" or "we know what happens to town you rule, they become slave labor camps working none stop" that would have been so much better. Just saying they are bad and not giving us anything else to go on is what my problem was. Though it would have worked a lot better imo had they not made it so obvious she was a bad guy from the get go. 

On that note, personally I think she would have been better served as a villian had they left what she was doing more ambiguous and really shown how horrible she was a bit later. Something like say how their are rumors of the towns being used for slave labor, or about how those reeducation facilitis exist, but show her as a force for good that is restoring peace. THEN actually have the characters see those things first hand.

I will note that in rereading this it feels like this is what the show was trying to do, so to simplfy it just didn't come out very subtle, which is what I'm looking for. I guess I can try saying it again later, since I'm not having the easiest time getting into clearer words what it is I feel makes her so bad. 

Well, this was a disappointing episode. I know that Korra isn't at her best yet and all. But seriously, does she need to suck this much at fighting. She fought better when she was poisoned. I mean, she was recovering and all, but she should still be better than this.

Also, Su Lins son seems like he is torn between Covira, the villain, and team Avatar, the good guys. I think that it shows on the way he acts. I mean, sure he may be engaged or whatever, to Covira, but I feel like he doesn't really feel what she is doing is the right thing.

I hope, in the last few episodes, that we get to see Toph. Hope that she comes back for the final battle between Korra and Covira. I mean, doesn't want her to be the one to beat Covira, only helping Korra to stop her.

I think it would be good to have Korra be a student to Toph and learn from her, and that ultimately leads to the victory for the Avatar.

This was worse than some of Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes. I only saying that cause I hate that show. On this, there are probably ALOT that disagree with me.

Korra really is rusty there. All she ever did was direct hits. Benders from ATLA and many of her fights from previous seasons had more creative places where the attacks were coming from. Kubira was more clever and showed how it is done: You keep your calm and analyze what your opponent is doing so you can react accordingly in a steady manner. You loose your energy giving the first strike because you are trying to do your best to outmatch your opponent's senses without a proper measure. I mean, at least in this case, Korra made the demonstration and Kubira easily countered. Repeatedly.

Korra's random fights throughout the Earth Kingdom should at least have served as a warm up for her to realize how to fight.

Kubira seems to be the first non-Air bender ever to be able to deal with air bender attacks. Though that might be due to Korra not using each individual element any differently from the other here. She fights like she is in a pro-bending match more than anything else.

Varrick is not such a big idiot it seems, and yeah, when working with super weapons with somebody that's not really willing to do it, you risk something like that happening. Still, how the heck did Varrick install a timer and calibrate the weapon with a remote controller without the "close supervision" noticing? Especially when said close supervision seems to have a good understanding on all the functions of the machine.

Overall I still personally liked the episode nonetheless. I'd like to see Kubira and Azula in the same room and see what happens.

@Shradow: Yes, I agree that Covira should have won the fight since Korra isn't really at her best. But you cant really say that she should not be able to fight better. She has shown to be able to fight better in worse conditions than she was in this episode.

Well, I can see why she haf trouble going into the avatar state, but seriously, I am really disappointed with this episode.

TLA was not good. Korra is better than that show by far, and the latest episode of Korra was below the best of TLA episodes. But that is just my opinion.

I really do think though that we will see Toph some more in the future, and I really do hope that. The way they used her in the previous episodes was a build-up to her later in the season. I know I have come to Toph topic a few times, but she is just so awesome I haf to do that.

@Shradow: Yes, I agree that Covira should have won the fight since Korra isn't really at her best. But you cant really say that she should not be able to fight better. She has shown to be able to fight better in worse conditions than she was in this episode.

Well, I can see why she haf trouble going into the avatar state, but seriously, I am really disappointed with this episode.

TLA was not good. Korra is better than that show by far, and the latest episode of Korra was below the best of TLA episodes. But that is just my opinion.

I really do think though that we will see Toph some more in the future, and I really do hope that. The way they used her in the previous episodes was a build-up to her later in the season. I know I have come to Toph topic a few times, but she is just so awesome I haf to do that.

TLA was good. You didn't like it, we get it. Having an opinion is fine, but do you really feel so much of a need to keep saying "TLA sucks" mostly every time you talk about Korra?

Except the show has been constantly making sure the audience knows that Korra is in worse shape then ever right now. She may be able to move, but she is no where near fighting condition.

It's not all physical, it's heavily mental too. Korra's mental state is still shattered from the constant fighting and near losses she's been involved in. She's feeling just as useless as ever, and being outmatched from the first move from Kuvira certainly didn't help her fight. 

And it wasn't so much that she had trouble going into it, but that she didn't want to use it except if she had to like she did at the end when she realized she couldn't win otherwise.

This was one of the more believable fights in the show honestly. If anyone honestly expect Korra to do anything to Kuvira in this fight, I would be surprised. Korra's issues go way past the poison now, she's beating herself up mentally and emotionally at this point for not doing as well as the Avatar as she feels she should.

First off, I mentioned it only when it has been mentioned, about TLA, except the last post, and that was to state what I really thought about this episode, so why be so, if I get it right, mad.

Anyway, I realize that the poison isn't her worst problems. But to fight this bad is just not possible. Sure, she is mentally scarred and all, but not so much so you fight so much below your average level.

She would still not be able to win though, but she should be able to fight better.

Though I do still like this episode, not just as much as the other seasons of Korra. So far, I think that this is the worst of the four seasons. But I have hopes of it becoming better throughout the season. Hope they dont drag out the mentally scarred Korra much further cause that is just... not liking it. Also, wasn't Aang also mentally scarred at some point. And he seemed to not be that off his game. Why should it be different for Korra.

Covira though is the worst of the villains. Amon was by far the best villain ever in the Avatar universe. I do feel that the one thing I dont really like with Legend of Korra is the whole new villain after each season thing. Wish that they could keep 1 villain throughout the series.

I honestly like this episode. Kuvira is a HORRIBLE villian but the fight worked, Varrick was amazing, and I'm happy Korra is still screwed up. Episode 4 had left me with the impression that she was just going to be magically better, so I'm happy that isn't the case. Only problem really was that the episode had a REALLY slow pacing with very little happening. But thats kind of been an issue with Korra as a whole.

Except the show has been constantly making sure the audience knows that Korra is in worse shape then ever right now. She may be able to move, but she is no where near fighting condition.

It's not all physical, it's heavily mental too. Korra's mental state is still shattered from the constant fighting and near losses she's been involved in. She's feeling just as useless as ever, and being outmatched from the first move from Kuvira certainly didn't help her fight. 

And it wasn't so much that she had trouble going into it, but that she didn't want to use it except if she had to like she did at the end when she realized she couldn't win otherwise.

This was one of the more believable fights in the show honestly. If anyone honestly expect Korra to do anything to Kuvira in this fight, I would be surprised. Korra's issues go way past the poison now, she's beating herself up mentally and emotionally at this point for not doing as well as the Avatar as she feels she should.

Agree. As said, I think this is why the episode worked, because it really got across how easily Kuvira was able to fight her and the only reason she took any damage was because she was getting careless when Korra was down. Like one of the things I REALLY haven't liked is how Korra seems to be trying to make peace with Kuvia, but your pointing out how gone Korra is mentally does make me more forgiving of it.

Anyway, I realize that the poison isn't her worst problems. But to fight this bad is just not possible. Sure, she is mentally scarred and all, but not so much so you fight so much below your average level.
She would still not be able to win though, but she should be able to fight better.

Though I do still like this episode, not just as much as the other seasons of Korra. So far, I think that this is the worst of the four seasons. But I have hopes of it becoming better throughout the season. Hope they dont drag out the mentally scarred Korra much further cause that is just... not liking it. Also, wasn't Aang also mentally scarred at some point. And he seemed to not be that off his game. Why should it be different for Korra.

Covira though is the worst of the villains. Amon was by far the best villain ever in the Avatar universe. I do feel that the one thing I dont really like with Legend of Korra is the whole new villain after each season thing. Wish that they could keep 1 villain throughout the series.

You also need to factor in that Kuvire is REALLY strong. So her being able to walk all over her was something that was going to happen regardless.

I disagree that this is the worse season. In season 2 everyone was acting like idiots and most of the cast was unlikeable. As much as I've criticized it, we have gotten good things from this season. Aang wasn't so much an mentally scared as he had a lot on his plate when he woke up, and he is shown to work through it and his gaining of a new family helped in that regard. As I said a while ago, Korra has actually had it REALLY bad when you think about it. She had her bending stripped from her, she had Rava pulled from within her and destoryed in front of her, and she almost died. All that damage builds up, and this is the end result.

I think its a flip between her and Unalaq. They both have the problem of being WAY to transparently evil. I think I'll give Kuvia the edge though because she was obvious bad guy from a much earlier point. She does seem to at least be smart in how she is manipulating people with the "they attacked me when we had a peace agreement" and "this was supposed to be a 1 vs. 1 fight". First one obviously has problems, but the second clearly was set up specially for when Korra would need to be saved. Amon and Zaheer were really good villains since they were both captivating as characters.

Well, good point there. I still think she could have done better though but it is what I think, so I will not go in on it anymore.

Wait, if you think this is not worse than season 4, which season is this then? Season 5? or did you just type it wrong?

Well, I do think that this is the worse of the seasons, but there are still half season left, or maybe even more, so I cant really say it is worse than the other seasons, but I do think that so far at least.

So, I do think that Covira is a good villain, but I still think that if you have a few seasons, make it 1 big bad villain instead of four separate villains. I mean, the villains in Korra is awesome, but Amon is the one I do think is the best. The fact that they changed villains is a bad move from the creators and writers. Since, well, every hero has that one villain they fight all the time. Thor has Loki, Superman has Lex Luthor and of course Batman has the Joker. Feel like they could have made the series more interesting that way.

MVH / TheMadTitan

Well, good point there. I still think she could have done better though but it is what I think, so I will not go in on it anymore.

Wait, if you think this is not worse than season 4, which season is this then? Season 5? or did you just type it wrong?
Well, I do think that this is the worse of the seasons, but there are still half season left, or maybe even more, so I cant really say it is worse than the other seasons, but I do think that so far at least.

So, I do think that Covira is a good villain, but I still think that if you have a few seasons, make it 1 big bad villain instead of four separate villains. I mean, the villains in Korra is awesome, but Amon is the one I do think is the best. The fact that they changed villains is a bad move from the creators and writers. Since, well, every hero has that one villain they fight all the time. Thor has Loki, Superman has Lex Luthor and of course Batman has the Joker. Feel like they could have made the series more interesting that way.

MVH / TheMadTitan

Was supposed to say worse season. Wrote it wrong. And yea, we do have 7 more episodes. Season two did get a bit better and this season has had a highs and lows. We'll see.

The villian situation was partly due to how Nick ordered the seasons. The orderred 1 by itself. After 1 was finished they ordered 2. Then during the work on 2 they ordered 3 and 4. I do wish they had at least kept a connection between 3 and 4's villian since the Red Lotus was an interesting concept they could have done a lot more wish. PERSONALLY I wish all the villian were tied to them. We know Unalaq and Zaheer were, but have Amon's father and have a twist of Kuvia be a part of the organization would have given would have given the show an overarching antagonist.

New episode out... YAY.

Anyway, what will happen to the swamp? Will Toph save it? Or will the Avatar save it? Or will it get decimated by Covira? So many questions have I.

Though personally as I've mentioned before, I do think Toph will definitely come back. I mean, she lives there and she probably want it to be not destroyed. But I can be wrong.

On a more serious note, even Toph would know better than to try to take on the whole national army worth of power of pretty much 1/3rd of the world single-handed.

Though them bothering her home will pretty much assure she'll be appearing again, be it to fight with them or to notify them of what's happening.

Personally, it just occurred to me that since it's the last season of Avatar, and pretty much the last chance they'll get of doing this; I think they should at then end not just have Toph help in the fight, but reunite as much as they can from old team avatar (Zuko and Katara). I was disappointed with Zuko's performance in this series getting beaten rather quickly in the only fight he was in, when new team avatar was able to go 1 on 1 by like their 3rd fight, even if he's old... It'd be a chance to make up for that. Besides, this is looking up to be a major-scale war unlike the past 3 villains (inner city revels, civil war, and terrorists in that order).so they need all the help they can get.

On a more serious note, even Toph would know better than to try to take on the whole national army worth of power of pretty much 1/3rd of the world single-handed.

Though them bothering her home will pretty much assure she'll be appearing again, be it to fight with them or to notify them of what's happening.

Personally, it just occurred to me that since it's the last season of Avatar, and pretty much the last chance they'll get of doing this; I think they should at then end not just have Toph help in the fight, but reunite as much as they can from old team avatar (Zuko and Katara). I was disappointed with Zuko's performance in this series getting beaten rather quickly in the only fight he was in, when new team avatar was able to go 1 on 1 by like their 3rd fight, even if he's old... It'd be a chance to make up for that. Besides, this is looking up to be a major-scale war unlike the past 3 villains (inner city revels, civil war, and terrorists in that order).so they need all the help they can get.

Well, I dont think she can take them all, though she would probably destroy a third of them, then leave. Then join team Avatar.

And yes, I do think that in the end, it will be a full scale war. Would be fun to see Katara fight again. See how good she is considering her age.

On a side note though, Katara, is she as good a blood bender as Amon and his father and brother? Didn't mention their names cause I forgot them.

So, new episode.

Liked the stuff with Bolin and Varrick. Varrick is one of, if not my favorite characters so thats part of it. Also liked Bolin since it really shows that even if he is a bit stupid, he has a good heart. Varrick feeling bad for something strikes me as odd, but when its a super weapon in the hands of a crazy person it can slide.

The other half of the episode was pretty meh for me. As said, the price isn't an enjoyable character and I don't really like the leads constantly bickering. As said in the episode, its something that isn't new, and it was still an issue even back then. Also not a fan of Korra just being able to find people now with magic energy connecting power or w/e at least its had SOME set up.

Like that they seem to be bringing Toph back into this. I really couldn't care THAT much either way, but I'm happy that they are going to do more with her character. The way they used Zuko last season was REALLY bad.

Over all, episode was ok.

So, new episode.

Liked the stuff with Bolin and Varrick. Varrick is one of, if not my favorite characters so thats part of it. Also liked Bolin since it really shows that even if he is a bit stupid, he has a good heart. Varrick feeling bad for something strikes me as odd, but when its a super weapon in the hands of a crazy person it can slide.

The other half of the episode was pretty meh for me. As said, the price isn't an enjoyable character and I don't really like the leads constantly bickering. As said in the episode, its something that isn't new, and it was still an issue even back then. Also not a fan of Korra just being able to find people now with magic energy connecting power or w/e at least its had SOME set up.

Like that they seem to be bringing Toph back into this. I really couldn't care THAT much either way, but I'm happy that they are going to do more with her character. The way they used Zuko last season was REALLY bad.

Over all, episode was ok.

If you look at Korra as a stand-alone show, yeah the glowing thing that finds people is pretty much an ass-pull.

Though remember that Aang went through a full episode of Training to learn to do that (as a side bonus when trying to dominate the Avatar State, but still it was more thoroughly explained back then). If anything I think the bad part isn't that Korra has that power, but that she just suddenly gained it through a simple pep talk from Toph at the swamp.

Then again, Korra has gained power that way a few times in the past already, so its not too new. She learned air bending when Amon took her other elements out. She instantly learned how to recover her ability to bend after Aang spirit returned the power to her (which is the same as saying she healed herself all of a sudden through her own past life... which just sounds odd). She just had to be told to connect with her inner spirit by Tensen, then all of a sudden she could turn into a giant energy version of herself. Starting season 2 she could dominate her Avatar State well enough to even use it to cheat on games, which reminds me of the kind of cocky attitude that made the face-less spirit go eat her previous water Avatar past life's girlfriend.... but anyways).

Well, I dont think she can take them all, though she would probably destroy a third of them, then leave. Then join team Avatar.

And yes, I do think that in the end, it will be a full scale war. Would be fun to see Katara fight again. See how good she is considering her age.

On a side note though, Katara, is she as good a blood bender as Amon and his father and brother? Didn't mention their names cause I forgot them.

But what'd be the point of fighting then?
She'd end up tired and still unable to protect the swamp at the end, and if anything her efforts would just hurt the soldiers that are pretty much forced to be minions and not the actual head of the problem. Not to mention it'd come at the risk of being captured. 

If you look at Korra as a stand-alone show, yeah the glowing thing that finds people is pretty much an ass-pull.

Though remember that Aang went through a full episode of Training to learn to do that (as a side bonus when trying to dominate the Avatar State, but still it was more thoroughly explained back then). If anything I think the bad part isn't that Korra has that power, but that she just suddenly gained it through a simple pep talk from Toph at the swamp.

Then again, Korra has gained power that way a few times in the past already, so its not too new. She learned air bending when Amon took her other elements out. She instantly learned how to recover her ability to bend after Aang spirit returned the power to her (which is the same as saying she healed herself all of a sudden through her own past life... which just sounds odd). She just had to be told to connect with her inner spirit by Tensen, then all of a sudden she could turn into a giant energy version of herself. Starting season 2 she could dominate her Avatar State well enough to even use it to cheat on games, which reminds me of the kind of cocky attitude that made the face-less spirit go eat her previous water Avatar past life's girlfriend.... but anyways).

For some reason I THINK Aang first did the spirit findy thing in the Swamp episode so he had a similar "heres a new power" thing that Korra did. It worked there because of the spiritual nature of the swamp. Hell, it worked the first time she did it for the same reason (though I might be letting TLA color my views on that a little). And sure, the city now has the vines to act as a conduit for her there too, but here it just came off just as "I can do this now".

I at least buy her unlocking the Airbending from necessity and keeping it because she found a spiritaul side which was one of the things holding her back. Her getting her powers back was asspully, but that stems from them wanting a happy ending for what they though would be their only season. Plus, Avatar perks are something I CAN accept doing that. The season 2 ending was just a mess though. 

For some reason I THINK Aang first did the spirit findy thing in the Swamp episode so he had a similar "heres a new power" thing that Korra did. It worked there because of the spiritual nature of the swamp. Hell, it worked the first time she did it for the same reason (though I might be letting TLA color my views on that a little). And sure, the city now has the vines to act as a conduit for her there too, but here it just came off just as "I can do this now".

I at least buy her unlocking the Airbending from necessity and keeping it because she found a spiritaul side which was one of the things holding her back. Her getting her powers back was asspully, but that stems from them wanting a happy ending for what they though would be their only season. Plus, Avatar perks are something I CAN accept doing that. The season 2 ending was just a mess though. 

Yeah, the Jinora thing was not explained very well. I think basically, she sped up the rate at which Raava grows inside Vaatu, thus allowing Korra to extract Raava and once again combine to become the Avatar.

Yeah, the Jinora thing was not explained very well. I think basically, she sped up the rate at which Raava grows inside Vaatu, thus allowing Korra to extract Raava and once again combine to become the Avatar.

Thats what she did? I just thought it was spirit magic or something. 

Also, just going to point out the Korra is a horrible fighter. Seriously, how many important fights has she won on her own. Hell, in the final battle in each season she doesn't even beat the bad guy 1 on 1. Amon fled because he revealed himself, Unalaq was beaten with a major assist from Jinora, and Zaheer was beaten with a major assist from Jinora. 

Archived