Legend of Korra

Ren✧

Agree it wasn't as good as last week (and I wasn't even as hot on that as most). It has the problem I've had all season, it doesn't feel like anything is happening. Also, you would think to keep someone near the phone.

As for the fight, I agree it felt too one sided. I get why it was, and you never want to see the heros get beaten, but this was pretty bad. At least last time the fight didn't have a proper conclusion. Tenzin came off looking badass though.

I also am scared for the final eps of the season.

Tenzin was badass this last episode. Honestly, I've never really been a fan of him. Characters that have a perpetual stick stuck up their butt have never really been my cup of tea, but I have mad respect for the man now. It was quite obvious that he would have beaten Zaheer, and would have been the only one of the Kataang babies to hold their own against the Red Lotus, had he not been teamed up on by the rest of the Red Lotus

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked him during seasons 1 and 2, which I think is partly due to my not being Korra's biggest fan and most of his problems with her were ones I felt. He hasn't done much this season sadly and he was very unTenzin like during his one big episode this season. As for the fight, it really showed the difference between a true Airbending Master vs. not. 

As for the fight, it really showed the difference between a true Airbending Master vs. not. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. So far, people have been so impressed with Zaheer's airbending skills and just having it reaffirmed that Tenzin is still the best out there was reassuring. Although, had Zaheer been a monk, he would technically have earned his tattoos. I believe to get them you have to master all 36 areas of airbending or come up with a new technique/use for airbending. I believe the contents of episode 10 meet the criteria of the latter. 

Also, I wanted more from Jinora this episode. She has been vying for this tattoos all season and in the moment of truth she lets her boyfriend confront P'li alone and doesn't do anything except for cry and run all episode. 

Also, I wanted more from Jinora this episode. She has been vying for this tattoos all season and in the moment of truth she lets her boyfriend confront P'li alone and doesn't do anything except for cry and run all episode. 

I was fine with them running. They were, very clearly, outmatched, so staying to fight would have been very dumb. I can agree that she should have done more when Kai went off, but after that all she could do was cry, since again, pretty powerless.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about what happened in the spirit world. I felt it worked well enough last time, but here it felt forced and what was gotten out of it could have been gotten another way. I do applaud her for going into the spirit world at least.

Well, Zaheer is kinda like Aang during the first few episode of season 1. Nobody really had ever face an airbender before so nobody can say that they're ready to fight an airbender but yeah, Tenzin did kick Zaheer's ass right until the Red Lotus attack as a team. 

Kya might hold a candle to Zaheer due to having an airbender for a brother but considering her mother, a waterbender prodigy you would think she'll be the on the same level while fighting a waterbender nonetheless.  

Enjoying season 3 so far. Loving the characterization and everyone felt more flesh out. The only bad side of book 3 is that the plot felt like it only move because of the characters and aside from the Tenzin centric episode, the new air nation didn't fell like it get the focus it was supposed to considering it's the change that the world went through.  

[spoiler=Warning, Big Spoilers. Seriously, every line is a spoiler.]These last two episodes were intense, what with P'li dying, Zaheer flying, Bolin lavabending, Jinora a true master airbender, and everything else. This did not disappoint in the slightest. Can't wait for Season 4 if they keep up this level of drama. Glad to see Amon was remembered, feels almost like Season 1 didn't happen. Also: Holy cow, was Korra injected with freaking MERCURY?!![/spoiler]

[spoiler=After watching the finale]

Asami's done so much awesome stuff this season and she hasn't been wrapped up in baloney relationship drama, it's great.

But guys

Xr5C60c.jpg

CALLED IT.

Well, Memebase gave me the idea first, but yeah.

That was a sick fight between Korra and Zaheer. Same with Tenzin kicking a*s last week and the fights this week were awesome too.

I just wonder if Mako killed Water-Arm Lady or not.

I was happy with Jinora earning her tattoos, she's earned it. 

Feel really bad for Korra though. That was a real downer seeing her shed a tear at the end.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Finale Spoilers]

This finale was phenomenal! There is literally nothing more I could have asked from the show. P'Li dying was shocking, but I loved it. Bolin lavabending was awesome, I had honestly dismissed all those theories as fan nonsense, so it was shocking. Ming Hua dying(I assume) was shocking(literally)...okay, I am done with that adjective :P

In all honesty, this finale was not just the best of Korra, but the best of Avatar as a whole. I had not felt that emotional, captivated, or tense during any finale prior! I am honestly torn apart by the ending, sure, I felt happy for Jinora, but Korra's state and final tear made me want to curl up and cry with her. I hope she bounces back by book 4 from the poison, but something tells me that, that won't be the case. 

The only think I am disappointed about, is there was no resolution with the spirit vines in Republic City. Am I just not remembering something or did they just leave it out?

I guess, we're on hiatus again...our last hiatus ever...*completely breaks down*

[/spoiler]

Season 3 of Legend of Korra was good, but not great. The characters finally felt like they were working (though Bolin got more frustrating as the season went on) and the writing was strong. The problem was the pacing and the villians. It felt like nothing happened for the first 8 or so episodes and then we suddenly got a ton in the last 5. The villians also REALLY needed more devlopment. Outside of Zaheer none of them were interesting, which is a shame cause the little we got out of Ghazan made him seem cool. Also, while the finale was good, it felt WAY to similar to the Avatar series finale.

Now, for more spoilery stuff.

[spoilers]

Bolin Lavabending was actually really cool, and I think it works. His parents were a Earthbender and Firebender so the fact that he could have access to it make sense given what Lavabending would be. 

Korra being broken didn't really impact me. I guess its because I'm figuring too much into the next season where she will get better. I feel like the knowledge of the next season kept me from thinking any of the characters were in mortal danger, with only Tenzin being one I was really scared for after last week. Though when Bolin went under the lava I was didn't get a little scared for him even though I didn't think that was going to kill him. Still, she when they first showed her I did think "good god she looks like crap". Also, REALLY didn't like that Republic city was just magically better. 

The end fate of the villians I touched on up above, and while P'Li's head basically exploding did make me go O_0, it really didn't have an impact since she was the least interesting of the 4. Its kind of sad that seeing people get shocked by lightning is so common place is media and treated more as a joke, that when you are supposed to take it seriously I have a hard time switching to the "o yea, thats super deadly". As such, I'm not going to call her dead dead. Though if that didn't kill her, Ghazan destroying the cave might have. Speaking of, REALLY don't think he is dead. He got the second most charaterization (I guess thats what you can call it) of the 4 and seeing as how what was going to kill him was an element he can control, I feel like they will keep using him. With season 4 setting up the Red Lotus I think this is all the more true and wouldn't be shocked if they returned. Though, on that note, the 4 dudes they go to join them were USELESS.

As for my final point, Korra fighting Zaheer hit a lot of the same notes Aang vs. Ozai did. You have the Avatar in the Avatar state flying around fighting a master who is also flying in a area with giant stone pillars. Personally, the fight, which I still think is good, lost a lot of its impact because of how all I could think of while watching most of it was the TLA finale. I did like though that Zaheer got his flight AFTER P'Li died since that was the one thing tying him to the earth, and with her gone he just let go. I'll also note that its funny that Zaheer thought Korra will go down just like that when in Avatar State mode. 

As noted above, Bolin started to get to me during the last few episodes. Not sure why, but his humor came off more and more as stupid than funny. He was fine when he wasn't being funny at least. 

I like that Jinora got her tattoos after she invented a new move, which is a nice, minor touch. 

[/spoiler]

Season 3 of Legend of Korra was good, but not great. The characters finally felt like they were working (though Bolin got more frustrating as the season went on) and the writing was strong. The problem was the pacing and the villians. It felt like nothing happened for the first 8 or so episodes and then we suddenly got a ton in the last 5. The villians also REALLY needed more devlopment. Outside of Zaheer none of them were interesting, which is a shame cause the little we got out of Ghazan made him seem cool. Also, while the finale was good, it felt WAY to similar to the Avatar series finale.

Now, for more spoilery stuff.

[spoilers]

I like that Jinora got her tattoos after she invented a new move, which is a nice, minor touch. 

[/spoiler]

I suppose will have to agree to disagree about whether or not this season was good vs. great.

[spoiler=Spoilery Stuff...although really guys, just don't check the thread if you haven't watched the finale cause one of us is bound to slip up]

Agreed that the villains could have used more development, but I also recognize that they only had 13 episodes to work with and figured that what they had done was good enough. The little teaser about P'Li's past in the finale I thought made her more interesting, but then they took her head off a few minutes later, so...

I definitely of the opinion that Ghazan and Ming Hua are dead. If the electricity didn't kill her, which I think it probably should have, then the cave collapsing on her would definitely do the trick. I am also still holding out that the two are brother and sister, I doubt we will get confirmation one way or another. Bringing in the four new members, I thought, was unnecessary and just ate up time they could have spent somewhere else.

I actually liked the parallel between Korra vs. Zaheer and Aang vs. Ozai, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Now that I've had some time to actually think about things, Jinora getting her tattoos I think is still premature. Sure, it was a nice season tie up and the scene was just beautifully done, but I don't think she has earned them in the technical sense. It is mentioned in the AvatarWiki that airbenders get their tattoos by mastering the 36 areas of airbending or engineering a new technique. In my opinion, she did neither. 

What she did was inspire the airbenders to work together to make a whirlwind/vacuum(or whatever you want to call it), creating something like that has been seen before and wasn't something specifically new. The only thing that I can think of that would be engineering a new technique was her outward spirit manifestation, and while Jinora says it is a high level airbending move, I tend to doubt that. It seems to me that it is purely spiritual ability.

Of course this is all in my own opinion, and I can see where people can say that she engineered a new technique, but I don't think she deserves the tattoos when looking at the technicalities of it all. That isn't to say she didn't deserve some sort of recognition for her leadership and inspirational sense of hope, just that I don't truly believe her to be an airbending master

[/spoiler]

I suppose will have to agree to disagree about whether or not this season was good vs. great.

[spoiler=Spoilery Stuff...although really guys, just don't check the thread if you haven't watched the finale cause one of us is bound to slip up]
Agreed that the villains could have used more development, but I also recognize that they only had 13 episodes to work with and figured that what they had done was good enough. The little teaser about P'Li's past in the finale I thought made her more interesting, but then they took her head off a few minutes later, so...

I definitely of the opinion that Ghazan and Ming Hua are dead. If the electricity didn't kill her, which I think it probably should have, then the cave collapsing on her would definitely do the trick. I am also still holding out that the two are brother and sister, I doubt we will get confirmation one way or another. Bringing in the four new members, I thought, was unnecessary and just ate up time they could have spent somewhere else.

I actually liked the parallel between Korra vs. Zaheer and Aang vs. Ozai, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Now that I've had some time to actually think about things, Jinora getting her tattoos I think is still premature. Sure, it was a nice season tie up and the scene was just beautifully done, but I don't think she has earned them in the technical sense. It is mentioned in the AvatarWiki that airbenders get their tattoos by mastering the 36 areas of airbending or engineering a new technique. In my opinion, she did neither. 

What she did was inspire the airbenders to work together to make a whirlwind/vacuum(or whatever you want to call it), creating something like that has been seen before and wasn't something specifically new. The only thing that I can think of that would be engineering a new technique was her outward spirit manifestation, and while Jinora says it is a high level airbending move, I tend to doubt that. It seems to me that it is purely spiritual ability.

Of course this is all in my own opinion, and I can see where people can say that she engineered a new technique, but I don't think she deserves the tattoos when looking at the technicalities of it all. That isn't to say she didn't deserve some sort of recognition for her leadership and inspirational sense of hope, just that I don't truly believe her to be an airbending master
[/spoiler]

I'd argue that the poor pacing and weak villians keep it from being great. 

[spoiler=]
As I've said several times in this thread, I felt like a fair bit of the season was spent just meandering around, so they could have better used that time to develop the bad guys. The little bit we got for P'Li came way too late for me too really care, with the fact that she lost her head some 10 minutes later didn't serve to help any. 

Having a fight have parallels with a past one is a risky move. Done right it you some nice clever nods to those the past. Done poorly you end up with it just feeling like the same thing and lose a fair bit of the emotional impact. I feel this ends up more so in the later. IMO for this to work best you need to evolve on what you paying tribute too, and for me this just felt too much like it was hitting the same notes the first one did.

I half think Tenzin's new move was his air wheel, which is just an evolution of what his father made. I'd argue this was the same thing for Jinora's move. While things like it had been done, nothing to that level had, at least nothing that we've seen. Though, as you say, it is subjective. 
[/spoiler]

I'd argue that the poor pacing and weak villians keep it from being great. 

Saying the villains were weak I think is a bit drastic. Under developed, sure. Unexplored, definitely, but it wasn't as if they were uninteresting. P'li I can agree was the most boring of them all, but we did have her love interest with Zaheer to add to her character as well as the late tid bit about the war lord, plus her connection to Combustion Man made the large majority of fans flock to her initially. 

Poor pacing was definitely a problem. I think it was the search for airbenders and the focus on their training that really shot the show in the foot. Had they spent that time furthering the development of the Red Lotus, I think we can all agree that we would be happier.

I am not arguing that the season was perfect, but I do believe it was great(which is such a subjective word that arguments like this are rendered null in the grand scheme of things). Pacing problems was the biggest issue, but I believe they made up for it their originality of it all and the beautiful spectacle that was the finale.

Saying the villains were weak I think is a bit drastic. Under developed, sure. Unexplored, definitely, but it wasn't as if they were uninteresting. P'li I can agree was the most boring of them all, but we did have her love interest with Zaheer to add to her character as well as the late tid bit about the war lord, plus her connection to Combustion Man made the large majority of fans flock to her initially. 

Poor pacing was definitely a problem. I think it was the search for airbenders and the focus on their training that really shot the show in the foot. Had they spent that time furthering the development of the Red Lotus, I think we can all agree that we would be happier.

I am not arguing that the season was perfect, but I do believe it was great(which is such a subjective word that arguments like this are rendered null in the grand scheme of things). Pacing problems was the biggest issue, but I believe they made up for it their originality of it all and the beautiful spectacle that was the finale.

As I said in my first post, the only interesting one was Zaheer. P'Li was just there, doing very little over all. Ming Hua only did a little bit more. I feel like Ghazan had the second most amount of "stuff" going on with him, but even then it wasn't much. To look at your points on P'Li, her romance with Zaheer is very minor, like I think they have 2 scenes together, maybe 3, and her connection to Combustion Man is never explored. Its not like I thought they were horrible, they were certainly cool and I wanted to learn more about them, but they were undeveloped and unexplored and for me that makes them weak. 

[spoiler=spoiler]

I'll just ask something I've been curious about today...

Shouldn't the Avatar State no longer exist since she has zero connection to her past lifes? I mean, that's what the Avatar State is: All past lifetimes of the avatar manifesting themselves at the same time. I thought it was a cool plan but initially I expected that to be the reason why she kept on not entering into that state after the poisoning... I suppose it was just her fighting back..

Which btw, it does play both in favor and against it, the fact that Korra's fighting style, at least to me, seemed completely different when she fought in the avatar state. The landscape was plenty reference as is, but her moves were too similar to Aang's as well.

The part of "in favor" I just said is mainly because I was like "THAT'S SO COOL THEY ARE LIKE AANG VS OZAI'S FIGHT" fan-gasming all the way. Though looking back to it, they might have gone a touch too far there.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Korra still has the ability to take away bending that Aang had... It could be useful to get rid of some of Zaheer's problematic features. Maybe something touching that topic could be what finally links Amon's season with the rest?.... in some way? can I dream? I just really want the first season to tie itself up with the others in some way....

I have no idea what to think on lava guy's status. He intended to sacrifice himself very clearly, but it felt sort of weak because of how quick and easy the escape from Mako and Bolin seemed when it happened. It was more of a "we need to wrap these episodes up fast" thing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=spoiler]

I'll just ask something I've been curious about today...

Shouldn't the Avatar State no longer exist since she has zero connection to her past lifes? I mean, that's what the Avatar State is: All past lifetimes of the avatar manifesting themselves at the same time. I thought it was a cool plan but initially I expected that to be the reason why she kept on not entering into that state after the poisoning... I suppose it was just her fighting back..

Which btw, it does play both in favor and against it, the fact that Korra's fighting style, at least to me, seemed completely different when she fought in the avatar state. The landscape was plenty reference as is, but her moves were too similar to Aang's as well.

The part of "in favor" I just said is mainly because I was like "THAT'S SO COOL THEY ARE LIKE AANG VS OZAI'S FIGHT" fan-gasming all the way. Though looking back to it, they might have gone a touch too far there.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Korra still has the ability to take away bending that Aang had... It could be useful to get rid of some of Zaheer's problematic features. Maybe something touching that topic could be what finally links Amon's season with the rest?.... in some way? can I dream? I just really want the first season to tie itself up with the others in some way....

I have no idea what to think on lava guy's status. He intended to sacrifice himself very clearly, but it felt sort of weak because of how quick and easy the escape from Mako and Bolin seemed when it happened. It was more of a "we need to wrap these episodes up fast" thing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=]

Not going to lie, that did cross my mind as well. It doesn't help that we haven't seen her use the Avatar state since she lost the connection. This makes me think that its still there, only she can't access it yet. As such Book 4 will be "Healing" with Korra recovering from the trauma of nearly dyeing, her restoring her connection to her past lives, and fixing the earth kingdom now that its fallen into chaos.

I think thats what they were going for with the fight, only as I said it felt too much like a copy/paste and didn't do enough to mix things up. Honestly, all 3 of the final battles have had issues. Season 1, from what I can remember, didn't really have that epic feeling, especially since they only had that at the time, Season 2 felt very unAvatar like, and Season 3 felt too much like what we got in TLA's finale. 

Doug Walker, aka the Nostalgia Critic, does V-Logs for Avatar and one of the things that was brought up in one was that season 1 would have made for a much better final season and I can certainly see it. Its funny too since when I watch Korra I notice the production codes and I noticed that they were 201, 202, etc which is what you normally get on a second season and I found myself thinking, "wow they are just toally ignoring the first season". It isn't the case, but I still found it funny. Anyway, my guess is she doens't have the power, but if she entered the avatar state she would gain it.

Yea, I really wish the brothers' fight had more time to be shown off. What we got was cool, but really short. I'll agree that the ease in the brothers escape is likely part of the reason that I don't think it would have been hard for Ghazan to turn the lava back off.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Well']That was a great finale and an overall great season. Not LAB level greatness but still great. Also LoK has a pattern with every seasonal big bad wanting a new world order in their own views.

• The animation was magnificent.
  • Bolin lavabening was predictable, but still awesome.
  • Final shot of Korra crying was a brilliant scene.
  • The subset of air appears to be entering the void/flying.
  • Fight scenes were animated beautifully.
  • Mako finally uses lightning.
  • The way p'li died was a nice surprise.
  • I'm pretty sure that the creators intentionally made bald Jinora similar to Aang.

Also, depression is one of the effect from Mercury poisoning so depress Korra in season 4...
Book 4: Depression. Chapter 1: :([/spoiler]

@Conversation of Avatar State: I think the Avatar State is broken up into two sects: 1) power 2) skill. The power comes from Raava, giving the Avatar the bending ability of several benders and thus we get the ability to move mountains and raise oceans. The skill comes from the past lives, it would be the reason that Aang was able to do the water spout move long before he could even waterbend. It seems that in Korra's final fight, she didn't really pull off any complex moves or whatnot and fought almost entirely with brute force. Now this isn't exactly out of line for what Korra does anyway, but thought it was worth mentioning. One of the creators said straight up though that she retains the power of the Avatar State and may even be more powerful without her past lives. 

It doesn't help that we haven't seen her use the Avatar state since she lost the connection. 

I am not entirely sure on this, but I thought we saw her access the Avatar State at the beginning of the season when she attempts to spiritbend the vines in Republic City.

#pray4korra

No seriously though, I kinda wish Lightning bending still looked as flashy as it used to in the old series. When Mako used it, it was kinda, uneventful...

But yeah everything that was going to be said has been said already. Although at first when I saw Korra I initially thought her fight with Zaheer left her permanently disabled or something.

So yeah does this mean that Zaheer would've been a better airbender than Aang even?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived