Legend of Korra

Ren✧

Well, a new episode out today. Best episode so far imo, in season 4, though not much to go from since there are only 3 so far.

[spoiler=Spoiler]

So, from this episode, and the trailer for season 4, it is quite obvious that Covira will be the final bad guy in the season. I mean, she literally said it at Wu's coronation.

Now, I really do hope that Korra will be in the Swamp for 3-4 more episodes, training with Toph. They cant bring back her (Toph) and only have her star in a few episodes and then they cut her off. Now that they brought her back, they need her for the rest of the season.

So hope that, after Korra has been connected to her Avatar self again, that Toph becomes one of her entourage, like with Aang. And hopefully, she will be the mentor that Korra never had.

[/spoiler]

Cant wait for the next epiosde. Hate ATLA, Love Korra.

I do hope, like with Aang, she search for help from her previous Avatars, especially Roku.

MVH / TheMadTitan

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it was as strong as the last episode since the prince dude is such a grating character. I get that he is supposed to be, but he's been a chore. And again, they keep saying how bad Covira is, but they haven't really shown it. I feel they've delt with how she is taking control well though. 

To me though, during her speech, where she claimed that she would crush anyone that stands in her way, is pretty much a declaration of war, IMHO.

And the leaders all around the world also see it in that way, kind of. Hence the confrontation from dont remember the name (can never really learn the names of people, made up or real persons).

I so not really know what you mean by the prince is a grating character though. Not that evolved in the English language.

But I can say that after 3 episodes, I hate him. Immature characters are good as long as they are not grown-ups (teens and above). So unless he gets more mature trough out the season, I will hate on him.

The Toph return part was AWESOME. Loved seeing her. Favorit character out of all in the Avatar series. Lets just hope they keep her until the end of Korra. And hopefully as her mentor and teacher.

I feel like this season can be the best in the Avatar series. Love Korra, HATE The Last Airbender. Didn't like Aang, but that was maybe because he wouldn't kill, no matter what. Not even a bug.

To me though, during her speech, where she claimed that she would crush anyone that stands in her way, is pretty much a declaration of war, IMHO.

And the leaders all around the world also see it in that way, kind of. Hence the confrontation from dont remember the name (can never really learn the names of people, made up or real persons).

I so not really know what you mean by the prince is a grating character though. Not that evolved in the English language.

But I can say that after 3 episodes, I hate him. Immature characters are good as long as they are not grown-ups (teens and above). So unless he gets more mature trough out the season, I will hate on him.

The Toph return part was AWESOME. Loved seeing her. Favorit character out of all in the Avatar series. Lets just hope they keep her until the end of Korra. And hopefully as her mentor and teacher.

I feel like this season can be the best in the Avatar series. Love Korra, HATE The Last Airbender. Didn't like Aang, but that was maybe because he wouldn't kill, no matter what. Not even a bug.

Fair, but again, showing your villian do villainous things goes a lot further than talking about it.

He gets on your nerves would be another way to put it. But yea, your disliking him would stem from you feeling the same way. I do feel like they are setting him up for a character arc though. If he doesn't get one, it would be a major miss imo.

Toph was great in the episode. The one thing that bugs me was when she was like how hopeless it is to fight against criminals or w/e the line was. She and Korra were easily the best thing about the episode. 

I'm a 180 on you for your feelings on Aang. He was a great lead and his struggle with killing the fire lord or not was one of the high points of the series. It hits a similar note that super heros hit with their refusal to kill, but still having a need to deal with the issue at hand in a decisive manner.

Some of my post might get spoilers, but I feel lazy about separating something into spoilers and knowing what to leave out of them so be warned about my whole post if you haven't seen the episode.....

I don't think Toph will really stay too long. Of course they can put her aside, they didn't give that much time to Zuko either (relatively speaking). Also, she has a life where she is at, and a single purpose in the series: To push Korra in the right direction so Korra can move on to the world with everyone else.

I can see how Toph would like that place so much, being able to see the way she does, it is the best place in the world for that. Not to mention she loves dust and mud and there's lots of it over there. Uh I think I already talked about this one in my previous post last week so, moving on.

Aang was a great character IMO. Ending someone's life is nothing easy, even for the average grown up person. Now you are talking about a 12 year old kid, and one that was raised by monks. The load is increased a ton because of it. If anything, Aang was too mature for his age, but that made sense due to the harsh experiences he's gone through and the life lessons his masters must have taught him before he even acquired the tattoos. That the world itself is at risk? That doesn't make the act any more easy. It just makes the situation even harder to go through.

I think the prince is getting more character development in the future. Sure he's purposely made borderline unbearable, but from the way he reacted to Mako's harshness, I think he can be pushed in the right direction, especially when being pushed around by life so much. People don't need to start great.

Even as he is right now, I think I'd prefer him to Kuvira. At least the prince, as useless as he is, wouldn't really be harmful either, and the nation would pretty much be directed by people that know. Meanwhile Kuvira is too ruthless. You saw the way she treated the bandits in episode 1: She didn't threaten them with prison, she threatened them with having their hands crushed away by the next train and/or possibly starving to death in that place. 

I also suspect about the bandits that stole from Kai and Opal. Kuvira was on her way to that town when she encountered them, they pledged loyalty to her, and then nearby bandits happen to attack and ruin the airbenders' attempt to help at an incredibly convenient timing. Yes Kai and Opal were actually pretty useless in that scene, but I think this is getting somewhere....

Korra might need to risk it and actually see what happens when her not-imaginary opponent succeeds. I think it might be the "fighting" that Toph is talking about. Being reached by that Korra-like figure might symbolize accepting herself as the avatar once more, which she subconsciously must be rejecting out of fear from her past scars.

I don't think Toph will really stay too long. Of course they can put her aside, they didn't give that much time to Zuko either (relatively speaking). Also, she has a life where she is at, and a single purpose in the series: To push Korra in the right direction so Korra can move on to the world with everyone else.

I can see how Toph would like that place so much, being able to see the way she does, it is the best place in the world for that. Not to mention she loves dust and mud and there's lots of it over there. Uh I think I already talked about this one in my previous post last week so, moving on.

I think the prince is getting more character development in the future. Sure he's purposely made borderline unbearable, but from the way he reacted to Mako's harshness, I think he can be pushed in the right direction, especially when being pushed around by life so much. People don't need to start great.

Even as he is right now, I think I'd prefer him to Kuvira. At least the prince, as useless as he is, wouldn't really be harmful either, and the nation would pretty much be directed by people that know. Meanwhile Kuvira is too ruthless. You saw the way she treated the bandits in episode 1: She didn't threaten them with prison, she threatened them with having their hands crushed away by the next train and/or possibly starving to death in that place. 

Based on how they've handled past TLA character, I agree Toph won't be staying aroud for too long. At least they've made much better use of her than they did Zuko last season.

As said, he is likely to get a good deal of development. Just wish they didn't start him in such an annoying place. That said, I feel like the whole need to make hima  king is silly. They more or less said that he wouldn't be doing anything anyway, so why go through all the trouble and just have a group of people leading the Earth Kingdom like they had done with Republic City back in season 1.

I'm ok with Kuvira simply because she's been at this for 3 years. At this point she isn't going to take any crap and just wants to get things down the fastest way possible. Might come off as harsh, but she gets things done. IMO she really started to cross a line when she threatened Suyin the way she did. Though, that being said, Suyin doing nothing while the Earth Kingdom was in chaos is a wth moment imo.

I dont actually really see Toph stay for too long, but I feel it would be the best choice to actually have her stay the entire season. As you guys mentioned, they didn't do much with other characters from TLA (except Katara, who is a big part of Korras life, though she only appear in a few episodes each season). Anyway, I really do hope they keep Toph in the show til the end, as a sort of mentor for Korra.

The prince is annoying and I do think, and hope he gets a character development. If he stays this childish, he would just be annoying. I hated Sokka until the last season of TLA, until he matured enough. So unless the prince get a good character development, he will just be an annoying part in the series.

If you watch the Korra trailer for season 4, you can clearly see that Covira will be the bad guy. She states that she does it for the good of the earth kingdom. But she clearly do it the wrong way. And she only want power. Nothing else.

I agree with Flame Dragon, Suyin should do more. Doing nothing against all shit that happens is just... WTF.

Trailer for Korra book 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw

Well, that Trailer I think show some hints that Covira will be this big bad villain. Dont know what you guys think though

I dont actually really see Toph stay for too long, but I feel it would be the best choice to actually have her stay the entire season. As you guys mentioned, they didn't do much with other characters from TLA (except Katara, who is a big part of Korras life, though she only appear in a few episodes each season). Anyway, I really do hope they keep Toph in the show til the end, as a sort of mentor for Korra.

The prince is annoying and I do think, and hope he gets a character development. If he stays this childish, he would just be annoying. I hated Sokka until the last season of TLA, until he matured enough. So unless the prince get a good character development, he will just be an annoying part in the series.

If you watch the Korra trailer for season 4, you can clearly see that Covira will be the bad guy. She states that she does it for the good of the earth kingdom. But she clearly do it the wrong way. And she only want power. Nothing else.

I agree with Flame Dragon, Suyin should do more. Doing nothing against all s*** that happens is just... WTF.

Trailer for Korra book 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw

Well, that Trailer I think show some hints that Covira will be this big bad villain. Dont know what you guys think though

The trailer is not needed to see where she's going. She is ruthless, and even if some argue she's still not a blatant villain by actions, what's being said is giving it away. I'm not saying I agree with telling rather than showing, but its what the show is doing with her and even with that you can tell they want her to eventually be that.

I don't think anyone is arguing or doubting that she'll be the villain here despite the methods used by the show to show it.

"Hated" is such a strong word to use for these things. I personally loved Sokka. Sure he was goofy, but he was really smart and inventive. Like the Nostalgia Critic says "he was the idea guy". Though to each their own I guess.

The part about Toph sounds more like you want her to stay rather than she needing to stay, tbh. I also really like Toph as a character, but I believe Toph will only stay a few more episodes, maybe 3 at most, until Korra is healed and comes to terms with herself, and maybe it will also have served as a mini-training arc for her to learn some of Toph's techniques for feeling the earth, which I think is going to be needed after Kuvira's skill display in episode 1. Then Korra will move on during the second half of the season and proceed to start gathering her incredibly dispersed members of "Team Avatar" before the climax of the season.

The trailer is not needed to see where she's going. She is ruthless, and even if some argue she's still not a blatant villain by actions, what's being said is giving it away. I'm not saying I agree with telling rather than showing, but its what the show is doing with her and even with that you can tell they want her to eventually be that.

I don't think anyone is arguing or doubting that she'll be the villain here despite the methods used by the show to show it.

"Hated" is such a strong word to use for these things. I personally loved Sokka. Sure he was goofy, but he was really smart and inventive. Like the Nostalgia Critic says "he was the idea guy". Though to each their own I guess.

The part about Toph sounds more like you want her to stay rather than she needing to stay, tbh. I also really like Toph as a character, but I believe Toph will only stay a few more episodes, maybe 3 at most, until Korra is healed and comes to terms with herself, and maybe it will also have served as a mini-training arc for her to learn some of Toph's techniques for feeling the earth, which I think is going to be needed after Kuvira's skill display in episode 1. Then Korra will move on during the second half of the season and proceed to start gathering her incredibly dispersed members of "Team Avatar" before the climax of the season.

Well, sure the trailer isn't needed, I agree. Still wanted to post it there in case someone didn't already seen it or they doubt Covira will be the big baddie in this season.

Well, I cant say I hate Sokka, more like dont like him. He was quite smart except in the ninth episode of season 3 though. That was the only episode of his "goofyness" I actually liked.

I hope Toph stays the entire show. I dont really feel she is that important to the season as the rest of the cast from season 1 and onward. I do think though, that it would be better if Toph stayed, since she was the only one I really liked from TLA (except for Iroh and the dead avatars).

I do though hope Bolin will be a part of Coviras team until the end. I dont really like him, he feels like this series Sokka, except that Sokka was a normal man and no bender.

We will see what happens in next fridays episode. Love to see Toph beat the crap out of Korra. Hope to see more of Korra and Toph in the next few episodes. Feel like the 3 first was more about the rest of the characters and not so much about Korra (compared to the last three seasons).

That really wasn't a good episode. Saw someone call it padded and fully agree. Like, most of the searching stuff could have just been left out. Also feel like they could have used that time to really show Korra moving on from her past battles. Honestly, that should have been the heart of the episode, but it was on the kids being annoying. Only one I liked was Ikki and only scene that really worked over all imo was the one with her and the two earthbenders.

Also, the scene where Toph lays out the villians so far is dumb. PRETTY SURE Amon wasn't fighting for equality and Unalq wasn't fighting for the spirits.

That really wasn't a good episode. Saw someone call it padded and fully agree. Like, most of the searching stuff could have just been left out. Also feel like they could have used that time to really show Korra moving on from her past battles. Honestly, that should have been the heart of the episode, but it was on the kids being annoying. Only one I liked was Ikki and only scene that really worked over all imo was the one with her and the two earthbenders.

Also, the scene where Toph lays out the villians so far is dumb. PRETTY SURE Amon wasn't fighting for equality and Unalq wasn't fighting for the spirits.

I actually liked the episode, while it was filler, we finally get to see a little more of the kids interacting, before they were just kind of there, beside Jinora, so seeing them a bit more was nice, and we got some funny lines here and there too.

Amon was fighting for equality, he wanted everyone to be non-benders and Unalaq wanted the spirit world and real world to be together right?

I actually liked the episode, while it was filler, we finally get to see a little more of the kids interacting, before they were just kind of there, beside Jinora, so seeing them a bit more was nice, and we got some funny lines here and there too.

Amon was fighting for equality, he wanted everyone to be non-benders and Unalaq wanted the spirit world and real world to be together right?

My problem was the Milo was annoying and Jinora just wanted to be left alone. While Jinora wasn't that bad, Milo just would not switch off. I didn't like either of them in the episode.

Amon being a bender kind of makes that point mute. He was just trying to depower everyone else to give himself an even bigger advantage. Unalaq was basically Cyrus from Pokemon, trying to restart the world and become a god. Both were just looking to make themselves more powerful and saying pretty things to make themselves seem like they weren't evil.

Amon being a bender kind of makes that point mute. He was just trying to depower everyone else to give himself an even bigger advantage. Unalaq was basically Cyrus from Pokemon, trying to restart the world and become a god. Both were just looking to make themselves more powerful and saying pretty things to make themselves seem like they weren't evil.

Well yeah, they were evil and stuff, that is obvious, what Toph was saying was that they had good intentions and Korra could learn from them.

Well yeah, they were evil and stuff, that is obvious, what Toph was saying was that they had good intentions and Korra could learn from them.

But they never even HAD good intention. Amon wasn't fighting for equality. Unalaq wasn't fighting for the spirits. They were simply looking to further their own personal ends and said otherwise to manipulate people. They weren't good people who went too far, they were never really trying to do anything good in the first place.

But they never even HAD good intention. Amon wasn't fighting for equality. Unalaq wasn't fighting for the spirits. They were simply looking to further their own personal ends and said otherwise to manipulate people. They weren't good people who went too far, they were never really trying to do anything good in the first place.

I don't agree, the show is all about how Korra needs to find a balance between their intentions, even if crooked, which has been shown many times.

Well, episode was okay. Though the kids searching for Korra could have at least lasted a little more than 1 episode. The part with Korra in this episode felt rushed to me. No development at all, except in the end of the episode where she immediately got better. No improvement from her past injuries and problems from previous season.

I was hoping that Korra would stay in the swamp for a bit longer and you got to see her improvement and that she learned new techniques from Toph. When I watched the beginning of the episode, I was hoping that the kids search for Korra would go on for about 3-4 episode and that they get a side story kind of thing. Like the Zuko story in TLA.

Really dissapointed with the episode. Hope though that Toph will be helping in the final fight with Covira.

So far, the worst episode of season 4.

I don't agree, the show is all about how Korra needs to find a balance between their intentions, even if crooked, which has been shown many times.

What part of "that wasn't their intentions" aren't you getting? They SAID thats what they wanted, but it was in NO way what they really wanted. This is why Toph is just wrong. The problem wasn't that they went to extremes for their goals, but that wasn't never what they were really fighting for in the first place. For this reason you can't say, "Amon's idea for equality was fine, just he went too far with it" since he was had ulterior motives from the get go.

And I don't see how the show has been showing that. Because "equality" and "freedom" aren't thing that need balancing, and the spirits had no balance found since "letting them all into our world" isn't what I'd call a balanced approach. The themes of the show have all been largely political with 1 being Occupy, 3 being anarchy (which =/= freedom, but its a lot closer in relation to intent and what was said then the other two that I'm not going to try to argue against it), and this being fascism. Not sure what 2 would have been which is why I'm saying largely and not totally.

Would like to know where you think those have been shown though. I mean the issue of equality was dropped after season 1, the issue of the spirits was resolved cleanly in season 2 and since not really addressed since (see city magically better at end of season 3), and nothing with the red lotus has come up yet.

The reason the past villians are all an issue for Korra is because all of them causes series damage to her. Amon took away her bending. Unalaq killed Rava and destoryed her connection to her past lives. Zaheer very nearly killed her and the poison kept her from doing what she needed for THREE years. Thats why they are important, not because they hit on themes that keep being address, but because they seriously scarred her and the point of these last 3 episodes has been Korra trying to heal past these scars.

Well, episode was okay. Though the kids searching for Korra could have at least lasted a little more than 1 episode. The part with Korra in this episode felt rushed to me. No development at all, except in the end of the episode where she immediately got better. No improvement from her past injuries and problems from previous season.

I was hoping that Korra would stay in the swamp for a bit longer and you got to see her improvement and that she learned new techniques from Toph. When I watched the beginning of the episode, I was hoping that the kids search for Korra would go on for about 3-4 episode and that they get a side story kind of thing. Like the Zuko story in TLA.

Really dissapointed with the episode. Hope though that Toph will be helping in the final fight with Covira.

So far, the worst episode of season 4.

On one hand I agree that things being dragged out more would have been better, but that would just lead to it feeling like padding. As said, we didn't need to see most of their search since nothing was accomplished during it. Also, with such a limited number of episode, you can only have the protagonist out of commission for so long. Agree fully that the stuff we Korra being felt rushed. I get its not the easiest to show her letting go of her past conflicts, but what we got felt way to much like "it wasn't the past conflicts and inner turmoil that was screwing with you, it was all the mercury". I mean sure, that wasn't helping, but that didn't address the larger issue that she was just said to have of not letting go of her past enemies. Hell, that one even had some set up with their faces showing up when she was getting poisoned at the end of last season.

Also, I'm not sure how enjoyable the kids would have been for more episodes. As said Milo was just gratting to me, and Jinora came off way too aloof. I get why, ones a hyper kid and ones a teen that actually needs to silence to be useful, but that isn't very fun to watch and given more time the odds of it getting annoying to more people would only increase.

How long will this actually be, 12-13 episodes? If so, they could have at least dragged out the swamp arc to episode 5 or 6. Even I can write better than this. So, to me, they rushed it TOO much.

Korra, no matter how I look at it, should need more development in the swamp. She should have at least learned the thing Toph does where she see the environment around her. And maybe trained her in combat, the way she fights. Now, Korra is just back to her old self. She seems to not have learned anything, and if she did learn something, she didn't learn much.

I think that you are partly wrong in that Amon and Unalaq and Zaheer actually wanted the world to be almost like they said. I mean, the fck, Toph knows what's going on in every corner of the world. So she probably could feel if they were lying when they said they wanted to make the world a better place. So, either she lied, which I doubt, or she didn't know what they really wanted, which I also doubt. So unless that is actually stated, it is a debate that will lead nowhere until the creator or writers tell otherwise.

Though, with Covira, I think that she only wants world domination. But, that remains to be seen.

So yea, my problem with season 4 is Kuvira is WAY to evils. Like, they could have added more depth to her, but she is such an obvious bad guy. Also, the stuff with Asami felt pointless, and while it will likely tie into the larger story, I'm not a 100% on it based on stuff we've gotten from the past. Also didn't like how easy it was for Korra to fold. Bolin and Varrick held the episode together for me.

Also, most bad guys are obvious, even when (or maybe especially when) they think they're being secretive about it. I mean, now she's actually doing evil stuff, something you complained wasn't happening earlier.

Personally, I think she established herself as the villain when she was all like "if you don't give you city to me I'll take it by force". Which is something I had problem with back then too. Act obvious when your in private, but when she is with people who might not like that, like Bolin, don't be so obvious. Like, her evil isn't subtle, which is what I think this character should have been.

Archived