The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

Actually, for rare two-color lands, I only have one duplicate: Ancient Amphiteather. All the others (Fetches, Shocks, Filters, Checks, Temples, Pains, etc) I only have 1 of each. Yes, this means my decks' mana bases aren't all that good, but I tried my best at distributing my good lands across the decks.

The only decks that have perfect mana bases here are Wanderer, Rhys, Oloro and Aurelia.

I only ever have 1 EDH deck put together at a time and I have trouble finding enough lands for it sometimes and I have multiples of all the fetches and shocks, I don't know how you manage to do it.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll settle for 10 decks for the time being =D

13268431_895784280531242_178584748985249

You have 1 more than me atm. Though I'm planing on going up to 11 at some point. I actually just got the bulk of the cards I've been missing for them so I'll post the lists soon.

As for the land issue I haven't had too much trouble even with 5 3-color decks. Ti-Land, Trabsguild/Rupture, Command Tower, Vivids, Wild/Expanse, Temples, Shocks, Bounce, 2 of each basic is pretty much constant between all 5 of them and thats 2/3s of most of my mana bases with 17 sources for each color. My general rule is to hit at least 20 and its not hard with various other duels or special lands while still having space for a couple colorless lands. The biggest issue is that your mana base ends up being slow but I've never had too much trouble with that in my play group.

As for the land issue I haven't had too much trouble even with 5 3-color decks. Ti-Land, Trabsguild/Rupture, Command Tower, Vivids, Wild/Expanse, Temples, Shocks, Bounce, 2 of each basic is pretty much constant between all 5 of them and thats 2/3s of most of my mana bases with 17 sources for each color. My general rule is to hit at least 20 and its not hard with various other duels or special lands while still having space for a couple colorless lands. The biggest issue is that your mana base ends up being slow but I've never had too much trouble with that in my play group.

My playgroup is pretty high powered, especially when the kids from the shop a city over come by to play EDH. The mana has to be fast and smooth otherwise you can never catch back up.

My playgroup is pretty high powered, especially when the kids from the shop a city over come by to play EDH. The mana has to be fast and smooth otherwise you can never catch back up.

Yea, I can totally see why slow mana would be a problem. I'm lucky my friends really don't have the budget to make a bunch of really fast mana bases so being slow isn't the end of the world.

• 1 month later...

Time at these German hostels doing nothing after getting back from exploring has prompted me to refine my commander decks.

1) Scion of the Ur-Dragon: http://deckstats.net/deck-10392874-8564d203b543b9d131ff1573f07b69f9.html

2) Intet, the Dreamer: http://deckstats.net/deck-10368680-1f21c2f7501422fd375b0135b87505b0.html

3) Atarka, the World Render: http://deckstats.net/deck-10435616-b4905eb7e5ec4ac45e93acf7ffd9411a.html

Unsurprisingly, all of my commanders are dragons :p.

So I'll review Atarka because I won't touch Scion with a 39.5-foot pole on principle, and Intet is pretty much RUG goodstuff so there's not much I can say.

Assuming these are still Cockatrice decks, so money doesn't matter:

CUT:

Rorix Bladewing (French vanilla)

Dream Pillager (green means you have better sources of draw)

Moonveil Dragon (trust me, I've tested this and it never works)

Hunted Dragon (you have no way to exploit the drawback)

Browbeat (punisher effects are bad)

Atarka Monument (underwhelming mana rock)

Opal Palace (doesn't do enough for you, trust me)

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea (one of the worst draw effects in the deck)

ADD:

Shamanic Revelation (such good draw, and the lifegain doesn't hurt)

Lurking Predators (a house with big creature decks like yours)

Sylvan Library (best green card draw spell)

Zirilan of the Scale (helps to pull out your dragons)

Sarkhan's Triumph (see above)

Crucible of Fire (dragon tribal brah)

Forest + Mountain (to replace the lands)

DUUUUUDE

Gisa and Geralf are so GOOD. I've been wanting to build zombies forever, they might be the deck I do it in. Was torn between Gissa or Geralf in their individual card, since I didn't like Grimgrin. Though I still may do Thraximundar, but IDK, I DO already have a deck in Grixis colors and Gisa and Geralf look better for tribal Zombies.

While playing Karador yesterday I realized how insane the new Emrakul would be in the deck since he can just cast her from the yard. Honestly, I'm a little surprised I haven't thought of that interaction until just now.

tbh emrakul looks like a solid player in any deck, not necessarily auto include but not out of place either

tbh emrakul looks like a solid player in any deck, not necessarily auto include but not out of place either

She is really close to Mindslaver so yea, the can slot in pretty well most places. The best place for her are ones that either bounce her back to hand, return from the graveyard to hand, or cast her from the graveyard. Karador falls into the last group and I'm really excited to try out in there.

so i'd like to join. the only commander deck i have up on tappedout is this one:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dromoka-and-the-combros/

edit: one more up:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ojutai-soul-of-winter-4/

i do have more, though and i'll get around to posting them.

i have no clue what the local meta is at all

budget is idk..... $100 on a single card, or .... around $1000 total

(i'll probably be willing to spend more once i have more control of my own bank account)

edit: never played in a tourny, but casually for like a year

it's time to wake up

eldritch moon is fully spoiled, what cards are going where?

* i'm torn between putting both sides of hanweir in sek'kuar and/or emrakul's evangel. at the very least i think the land goes in, and perhaps either one of the creatures later. probably eldritch evolution too

* shreds of sanity and eldritch evolution into wort

* bruna and gisela might find a home in isperia, or they'll just find a home in their own deck with bruna at the helm

* collective effort and perhaps campaign of vengeance in teysa

* docent of perfection and possibly curious homunculus in mistform ultimus

* kraj doesn't seem to get anything. maybe identity thief, but that's a big maybe.

* kozilek and kothophed don't get anything

• 2 weeks later...

So rinne directed me here, just a silly story to share that I experienced tonight with my boy Kurkesh.

So I was in an ~ok position, had a board of Kurkesh, Slobad, Myr Battlesphere and two of its tokens, Dreamstone Hedron, Planar Portal, Temple Bell, Clock of Omens, Krark-Clan Iron Works, and 8 or so lands. Tapped out mana-wise.

It's Omnath's turn, across from me. He's got Omnath and 3 tokens, and he's not happy, as last turn I temple belled until Kruphix got a counterspell for his double strike enchantment and Meren got a morbid killspell (having sacced Spore Frog) for his Pathbreaker Ibex + Thunderfoot Baloth. So he turns 'em all at me, casting a spell to get double strike on all his dudes and another combat step.

I very cautiously look at my hand and field, and decide to sac my clock and bell to slobad to make a myr and the battlesphere indestructible, and declare blocks on two of his dudes, and the last myr on Omnath.

Krosan Grip the sphere. But it was declared as a blocker, so I take 10. Next combat, I block with my remaining indestructible Myr and Slobad, letting him die and taking 20 more to end up at 19.

As he ends his turn he apologizes (we're acquainted to some extent) and I say nah its fine, I can theoretically win next turn still. Kruphix is not overly fond of this, and is able to kill my Iron Works as they all agree that is probably going to be what allows me to take it.

Meren does nothing relevant, so my turn rolls around. I play a land to reach the last mana I need to pull the following off. Planar Portal, with a copy, searching Gilded Lotus and Voltaic Key, my go-to infinite mana/untap combo. Play the lotus, tap it for red and play key, activating and copying it to untap it and the lotus, all resolves.

Now here's where it gets funny. At this point I have Decimator Web in hand, I can win the whole game right now. But Kruphix had be casually complaining earlier about how he let someone get infinite mana early in hsi last game, interested to see what he'd do with it, but ended up just getting comet stormed. So I'm not going to win this turn.

Instead, I add 700,000,000 mana, untap the portal enough to search out Shimmer Myr, Darksteel Forge, Darksteel Reactor, and Mycosynth Golem, then play them all with the Decimator Web. I kill Omnath (player) with it (Who had decidedly not bolted me when his token died on Meren's turn because he didn't want to kick a man while he's down, not realizing I had this available) and declare that I will do nothing but defend myself until Reactor wins me the game.

The next few turns are spent with them trying to break my board, but in response, me searching out and casting the artifacts that would protect me from them, such as Titan Forge for attacks, Steel Hellkite for flyers, Lux Cannon for Enchantments and Artifacts, and other such nonsense, and during my turns, doing nothing but ticking up the Reactor, warning them that if they do try anything dangerous that I can't stop otherwise, I'll just kill them with Decimator Web.

Meren tries to Living End me, which admittedly would not have been terrible, I could have just produced more mana than I could ever need in response, then Lux Cannoned all the creatures he brought back, and Planar Portal up my artifact recursion. But I warned them, and so I Web him, leaving it to me and Kruphix.

So essentially, I've entered God Mode. Kruphix understands the infinite mana/untap combo and knows all the abilities I have access to at this moment. I can literally just say "I'll destroy that," or "Ill make this many tokens," and it would be done. But I maintain that I will do nothing but protect myself from his attempts to influence my board or steal the win by other means. So, playing Kruphix, he has access to a lot of mana and cards, and decides to test his limits.

He spends the next few turns gathering up resources, mostly just drawing cards (hoping to reach omniscience) but also playing things like Jin-Gitaxias, which I let him do. All the while Reactor ticks up further. Eventually, he decides he's ready to drop an overloaded Cyclonic Rift. No real way around that, so I respond by Decimator Webbing him, but he has a Vedalken Orrery, so he responds further, trying to create a stack that I can't disrupt. I've built a puzzle for him. He eventually casts thought reflection, followed by a Mystic Confluence set to draw 3, so essentially, draw 12. But I can see he's planning for a Lab Maniac (he's got only 15 left in his library) which I also could have dealt with just as easily, but I decide to try to make him find something that wont kill him when I disrupt, so I Lux Cannon his Archive and Reflections in response.

At this point he realizes there truly is nothing that can be done. Even if he does find a way to disrupt my current board, not only can I tutor up new ways to stay afloat, but the Decimator Web triggers are still on the stack. He has to win right now or he won't get another chance.

iU8EggM.png

From the player in the most danger to die, and more or less voted most likely to be the first out, to being in total and unconquerable control of every aspect of the game. That's a great feeling.

@Aeons End: Welcome! Will add to main list... I should update that, but it's such a PITA.

@Sixty: Lots of tasty stuff that I'm looking out for. As many of my decks are in a half-completed flux state, here's what I'm interested in based off of the ideas I have so far:

Gisa and Geralf (Zombies): Cryptbreaker; Geier Reach Sanitarium; Graf Harvest; Noosegraf Mob

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim (Clerics): Bruna, the Fading Light; Gisela, the Broken Blade; Succumb to Temptation; Tree of Perdition

Odric, Lunarch Marshal (Beatdown): Bruna, the Fading Light; Gisela, the Broken Blade; Sigarda's Aid

Maelstrom Wanderer (Goodstuff/Spells): Docent of Perfection; Eldritch Evolution; Hanweir Battlements; Hanweir Garrison; Mind's Dilation; Mirrorwing Dragon; Unsubstantiate

Other (hopefully) Cheap Stuff: Abolisher of Bloodlines; Campaign of Vengeance; Crop Sigil; Cryptolith Fragment; Ishkanah, Grafwidow; Wharf Infiltrator

@All:

Would anyone be interested in an EDH Roulette deckbuilding challenge? How it would work:

1) Everyone who's interested submits a commander and a theme to build around them with.

2) I randomize the entries and redistribute them to the participants.

3) Everyone builds a deck with their assignment. I'd probably put a price limit on some stuff, either per card or on the deck overall.

4) We fight it out!

Let me know if you'd like to participate, and if so what your entry is. I can start a list.

EDIT: Before I forget, my submission:

Commander: Ishkanah, Grafwidow

Theme: Delirium/card type matters. Spider tribal is a bonus.

Archived