The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoiler season is well underway for what is looking to be a fantastic set, what cards from Shadows over Innistrad have all of you guys excited?

You should ask which cards I'm not excited for, the list will be much smaller.

But I think the card I want the most is Olivia. She goes into 2 of my decks as a must-have. Giving haste to Prossh is nasty, and giving counters to Marchesa is pure value.

westvale abbey, hanweir militia captain, pious evangel, and sorin for teysa

westvale abbey and arlinn both probably in sek'kaur

second harvest and arlinn in wort

jace in isperia

dual lands accordingly assigned to each deck

2) When requesting to join, post your currently-run commanders and about how long you've been playing MTG.

yooooo imma bird and i wanna join.

I've only been playing Magic for about a month or two right now, and EDH is my only real experience with the game, but I've been enjoying it so I kinda want to look around here for a bit.

Right now my favorite commander is probably Azusa, Lost but Seeking, but that might be because the first time I played EDH with it it was a four player game where one person was using that Group Hug deck and they wound up letting me put, like, toooons of Forests into play from the deck one turn and it got silly from there.

Also a huuuge fan of Slivers. I'm using a deck with Sliver Overlord as the commander and in the first test game with it, I managed to overkill my friend by 74 points.

I also like Chainer, Dementia Master. It was the first deck that I built on my own and I just really like that kind of effect. It's pretty cool. Other notable ones I've messed with are Riku of Two Reflections, and Edric, Spy Master of Trest... And the game I played with that second one was silly because I got to use Isochron Scepter to copy my Counterspell. My friends I was playing with were not happy. :'D

Ayy, welcome welcome! If you ever want help with a deck or anything, just let me know.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for sure!

Welcome, bird-friend. :')

Also, SOI full spoilers are out! What cards perk your interest for EDH?

Thank you! :>

...The Gitrog Monster seems pretty cool as a commander, and I tend to love most Green stuff. I might mess around with that a little bit.

Well, here's my review of cards I plan to scrounge together for my various EDH projects.

• Altered Ego: Gonna probably put this in as a finisher for Kaseto. Being able to drop a big threat without fear of countermagic is a nice guarantee.
  • Anguished Unmaking: If I go through with Karador, this is a definite include. Compares favorably to Utter End.
  • Autumnal Gloom // Ancient of the Equinox: Not because it's necessarily good, but damn, that flavor is on point and the art is lovely. It's also a way to fill up your graveyard, albeit slowly.
  • Cryptolith Rite: Turning all of your guys into dorks is pretty damn good. I can think of a lot of utility guys who aren't going to be going on the offense in my decks. Might as well put them to work some other way.
  • Drownyard Temple: Already praised this card in a dredge build.
  • Ever After: Not only is it a reanimator spell, but it's adorable too!
  • Fortified Village, et al: Lands!
  • Obsessive Skinner: It's worth testing, but with delirium active, having your little 1/1 become a 4/4 when it's time to attack isn't a negligible effect.
  • Odric, Lunarch Marshal: Another random consideration for Karador. There are enough random keywords in that decklist so that even a single one combined with Odric can make combat swing heavily in my favor.
  • Open the Armory: No place for it yet, but having a tutor like this would be very helpful if I ever recreate my enchantment-tribal Heliod deck.
  • Pious Evangel // Wayward Disciple: For Karador, maybe? I'm sacrificing stuff enough, so I might as well benefit from it.
  • Seasons Past: I don't know how effective this will actually be, but it's likely you're gonna get back 3-4 cards on average with each activation, and that can easily swing the game for you.
  • Sinister Concoction: Another random thing to think about for Karador. Serves as a good rattlesnake, and the discard doesn't matter too much if I'm just going to reanimate it later.
  • The Gitrog Monster: Because card draw! Don't know if this will actually make the cut in Meren, but we'll give it a spin and see. It's another incentive to pick up Life from the Loam, though.
  • Traverse the Ulvenwald: Also already praised this card in a dredge build.

• Engulf the Shore - For Thassa. When I bounce the entire field, including my Scourge of Fleets, so I can bounce everyone's board again because I hate dense defenses, you know this will be a great time.
  • Burn from Within - For Mizzix. These fireballs just keep getting better and better!
  • Geistblast - For Mizzix and Neku. It's no flashback, but yes, I'd like to double up on my spells from nowhere!
  • Arlinn - for Ruric Thar. That ulti that lets my everything fight everything makes it worth getting punched over.
  • Fevered Visions - Backwards prickly Howling Mine for Nekusar.
  • Hermit of Natterknolls - Maybe for Ruric Thar. He's not a Beast but the advantage to be had is nice. Also I'm trying to lower the deck's overall curve.
  • Dissension in the Ranks - For Ruric Thar. I love cunning Red cards like these that can throw wrenches in your plans out of nowhere.

The remaining bulk of hype goes to all the flying Spirits that would be nice in my spirit-flying-tribal Modern deck.

Odric, Lunarch Marshal - For Anax and Cymede. Why yes, please, I will take vigilance and first strike for all my creatures.

Call of the Bloodline - For Jarad (in progress). Looks like a lot of fun.

Liliana's Indignation - Same deck.

Second Harvest - Ezuri, Claw of Progress. Counters, counters everywhere.

Merciless Resolve - Jeleva and Jarad card, looks really helpful to recycle Jeleva and get some draw.

Sinister Concoction - Jarad.

Sigarda, Heron's Grace- I may actually build around her. I kind of like her.

Hmmm...

Green- Tempt with Discovery, Fertilid, Sporemound

Blue- Dismiss Into Dreams, Chasm Skulker, Acquire

White- Flickering Ward, Emeria Angel, Cathar's Crusade

Red- Rapacious One, Goblin Sharpshooter, Daretti Scrap Savant

Black- Palace Siege, Tragic Slip, Vampire Nighthawk

Colorless- Conjurer's Closet, Burnished Hart, Solemn Simulacrum

Multicolored- Intet the Dreamer, Aether Mutation, Kruphix God of Horizons, Anax and Cymede

Archived