Super Showdown Society (closed)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was mainly beating myself up with the fact that despite looking at the team rosters before the match started and watching Faytl's last match, I still forgot entirely about Charizard. Might have went better if I switched more than just Primarina and Raikou out as well.

I then went to do matches afterwards to try and achieve a victory on randoms, and then disappointed myself more. Yesterday wasn't a good day.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I really don't want to but if Spaz and Avian can't get a battle in by Monday, the 21st, it will be made a tie.

In the meantime I will allow the people who don't battle them do their battles for the next round. This means.

All-Terrain Venomoths (Button) vs Team Chaff (Faytl)

and

Team Pokemon (parenthesis) vs Team Wing-It (Azure)

...alright. Yeah. Marked as a tie. Moving to the next round.

Spaz vs Cow

Avian vs Yui

Button vs Faytl

parenthesis vs Azure

Please get them in soon...It would be great if we could get most of them in by the end of the month.

Spaz I'm off tomorrow so if you can battle then that'd be perfect.

I might not be able to do my battle for the next week and some change; all my team data and such was on the old PC that got fried so I don't have it until I get a new PC built and stick the old hard drive in it. The hard drive is still intact (or so I hear) so hopefully I'll be able to retrieve everything nice and easy, but consider me on hold until then.

I might not be able to do my battle for the next week and some change; all my team data and such was on the old PC that got fried so I don't have it until I get a new PC built and stick the old hard drive in it. The hard drive is still intact (or so I hear) so hopefully I'll be able to retrieve everything nice and easy, but consider me on hold until then.

Wouldn't you be making a new team specifically for Avian though?

Wouldn't you be making a new team specifically for Avian though?

Yeah but I had all my reference stuff on the hard drive. Why I picked this or that pokemon, etc.

Knowing how SSS games go with me it'd take long enough for my new PC to get in before we actually got to it anyway.

I've been thinking about a custom format recently:

260 Cup

“Most Pokemon with a Base Stat Total of 260 or lower are allowed.”

Clauses:
Smogon Clauses

Bans:
* Pokémon with a BST over 260
* Seismic Toss
* Night Shade
* Huge Power
* Simple
* Shedinja
* Smeargle
* Starly
* Wishiwashi
* Wobuffet
* Zigzagoon

Unbans:
* Pokemon that cannot learn more than 12 moves

Samples

Am9BWkS.gif
Bidoof @ Eviolite  
Ability: Unaware  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish / Careful Nature  
- Curse 
- Rest  
- Return
- Stealth Rock / Superpower / Crunch / Super Fang

NF3Zpzq.gif
Makuhita @ Choice Band / Fightinium Z
Ability: Guts  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch / Fake Out
- Earthquake  
- Knock Off

3CiPxnp.gif
Wynaut @ Eviolite
Ability: Shadow Tag  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Destiny Bond  
- Encore  
- Counter  
- Mirror Coat / Charm

PSRvLX8.gif
Beldum @ Eviolite / Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Iron Head  
- Zen Headbutt  
- Take Down  
- Iron Defense / Headbutt

lIKDh4f.gif
Venipede @ Life Orb / Eviolite / Choice Band / Poisinium Z
Ability: Speed Boost  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Spikes / Pursuit
- Toxic Spikes / Pursuit
- Poison Jab  
- Bug Bite

scOm6iy.gif
Ditto @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Imposter  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe  
- Transform

5KFuJhF.gif
Zubat @ Life Orb  
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Nasty Plot  
- Air Slash  
- Heat Wave / Roost
- Sludge Bomb

q5Z6oeN.gif
Fomantis (M) @ Life Orb / Eviolite / Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary  
EVs: 25 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Leaf Storm  
- Synthesis  
- Poison Jab / Defog / Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Rock]

8SFsvGU.gif
Slugma (M) @ Eviolite  
Ability: Flame Body  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Ancient Power  
- Earth Power / Clear Smog / Hidden Power Fighting
- Recover / Will-O-Wisp

JIehbne.gif
Swinub @ Eviolite  
Ability: Thick Fat  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Ice Shard  
- Earthquake  
- Stealth Rock  
- Superpower / Icicle Crash

gE0jiZL.jpg

Discuss

Isn't this basically just Little Cup?

Don't get me wrong, I love Little Cup but... seems not different enough to not just play LC.

That's what i was wondering, it seems very LC.

You both do realize that Ponyta, a premier LC mon, has a higher BST than Wobbuffet, Shiinotic, Ariados, Delcatty, Butterfree, Beedrill, Beautifly, Ledian, Dustox, and Kricketune, which are all fully evolved Pokemon, right?

Also, can you say with a straight face that Bidoof, Zubat, and Slugma are any good in LC?

Read the entire post before commenting, please.

Edit: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-lc-viability-rankings-v2.3609771/

There are about 4 260 Pokemon listed in the LC viability rankings (Venipede, Wynaut, Spinarak, and Bunnelby)

Note that Bunnelby also cannot have Huge Power, so you could arguably say 3, and none of those Pokemon are above B rank.

You both do realize that Ponyta, a premier LC mon, has a higher BST than Wobbuffet, Shiinotic, Ariados, Delcatty, Butterfree, Beedrill, Beautifly, Ledian, Dustox, and Kricketune, which are all fully evolved Pokemon, right?

Also, can you say with a straight face that Bidoof, Zubat, and Slugma are any good in LC?

Read the entire post before commenting, please.

Edit: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-lc-viability-rankings-v2.3609771/

There are about 4 260 Pokemon listed in the LC viability rankings (Venipede, Wynaut, Spinarak, and Bunnelby)

Note that Bunnelby also cannot have Huge Power, so you could arguably say 3, and none of those Pokemon are above B rank.

Bidoof is decent in LC actually.

Bidoof is decent in LC actually.

If it's not in the Viability Ranking, and without replays, that sounds like a heavily biased opinion.

There are no Ghost-Types in this format, for example, and only one Normal Resist, so using Return on anything is viable.

Essentially, bidoof actually gains a lot from this format, as do several other Pokémon that you'd never see in LC, which is the purpose of its design. Z-splash Feebas can actually happen.

So no, there's more to it than "just LC," especially considering it's also fought at level 100.

My internet has been really bad lately, so I haven't checked to see whether or not Showdown works or not. So depending on that I'd have to try and remember to take my mum's laptop round to my gran's.

EDIT: Okay, I can connect to Showdown. I'm mainly going to be available from 6pm BST, though this may change as classes properly start up next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, I've seen way too much "Do not ban PDon" in the BH suspect, but I've observed this trend:

[spoiler=Spoiler]

Pro-Ban: Primal Groudon has Fire and Ground typing, and along with Thousand Arrows, it can hit the entirety of the metagame neutrally, and from this fact, one must have a naturally defensive Pokemon in order to make a defensive counterplay. But if you take a closer look this monster has 180 Attack and 150 Special Attack, meaning it is entirely capable of making lure sets to take down its usual checks. It outshines every single Ground and Fire-types offensively. It is dominant in usage, being used more often than that of the mighty Imposter Chansey, and no one in Generation 7 used alternative wallbreakers like Mega Garchomp, Mega Blaziken or others because they are inferior to Primal Groudon in terms of both typing and raw power. Excluding some exceptions like Zygarde-C, Primal Groudon is also a defensively viable Pokemon that can opt to run defensive Desolate Land to completely shut down standard Kyogre, Regenvest that walls Diancie to no end, or even Fur Coat which is incredibly difficult to deal with for unprepared teams due to its offensive presence. Because of this sheer versatility and unpredictability, Primal Groudon should be considered as a culprit that lessened the diversity of teambuilding and turned the metagame into a matter of "Which player abuses Primal Groudon and who gets to set up faster using such Pokemon?" It is one of the few Fire-types that are resilient to Stealth Rock, unlike Ho-oh which is excellent as a check to Pixilate Diancie on paper but has its viability plagued due to Stealth Rock weakness. It is also incredibly hard to wear down over the match due to the typing that provides immunity to Volt Switch and along with 160 Defense, it doesn't give a jack to U-turn from the likes of Audino and Giratina.

Anti-Ban: mah boi pdon is stayin

This is the full post at the top

I am in favor of the ban because the only good arguments are coming from the ban side.

Lujan and I battled. Replays, of course, are broken. I lost. Does this even surprise anyone?

is there a log you can send me in PM? I know it'll be long but i want to see it and maybe edit it to show the class lol

or, barring that, if you two could show your teams and give a summary of events that'd be nice

Since this one happened and Button and Faytl I saw were trying I will extend this a bit longer

• 2 weeks later...

Alright long overdue but I have marked the unfinished battles as ties.

ed94b45851f5f2363e50c130027338a0.png

The rankings isn't entirely right. Because ties in this are worth less than losses. Given I would rather someone advance who played but lost instead of those who didn't play. I know it seems weird but it's the best way I could figure to balance it out.

atm it's still anyone's game honestly. However I think I might have a lock on the top four. At worst I just need one more win. But literally everyone still has a chance given how close things are.

Next battles are

Yui vs Spaz

Faytl vs Cow

Azure vs Avian

parenthesis vs Button

Please, PLEASE, try and get these in soon.

Also Faytl best time for me if you want it soon is tomorrow or Saturday.

Archived