Super Showdown Society (closed)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-417774075

Survived the trigger-inducing SheerCats :O

Prankster the team

First of all they didn't have Focus Sash on everything so at least there's that.

Second of all how do they expect to ever win...oh god bright powder? How is this kind of thing fun for anyone? They'll lose most of the time and they just sit there and hit one move over and over...

Edit: 80777b77426909f19c3109d179064635.png

Found their record. Better than I expected ngl

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prankster the team

First of all they didn't have Focus Sash on everything so at least there's that.

Second of all how do they expect to ever win...oh god bright powder? How is this kind of thing fun for anyone? They'll lose most of the time and they just sit there and hit one move over and over...

Edit: 80777b77426909f19c3109d179064635.png

Found their record. Better than I expected ngl

VGC has an item clause, so possibly the Liepard has the sash (good thing i faked it out). Well, it isn't fun but it wins bo1 games. That kind of team will definitely lose in bo3s

VGC has an item clause, so possibly the Liepard has the sash (good thing i faked it out). Well, it isn't fun but it wins bo1 games. That kind of team will definitely lose in bo3s

bo3s? I feel like I should know what this means, but I don't.

And right, the item thing, forgot that. I wonder how different Showdown would be if all the tiers had 1 item per Mon....LC would be super different.

bo3s? I feel like I should know what this means, but I don't.

And right, the item thing, forgot that. I wonder how different Showdown would be if all the tiers had 1 item per Mon....LC would be super different.

Think of it as Single Duel = Best of 1, Match = Best of 3 which is the used during tournaments (like in the upcoming Worlds)

Not sure how well it works against everything, but I've been trying out a BH team engineered specifically to beat Low Ladder, and I've not lost a game with it yet (went from like high 1100s to 140X). It's kind of generic, but it seems to work for me.

[spoiler=It]

One thing I forgot to mention:

The reason there needs to be a whole team just for low ladder is because BH is very paradoxical in that High Ladder teams suck against low ladder teams. Low Ladder tactics often involve setting up often, using many Focus Sashes to do so, and making usual mistakes in teambuilding. The problem is, though, Low Ladder teams can have tactics that experienced players may have grown out of, or have seen as niche, and fail to properly check them.

The goal of this team is to check a few of the low ladder gimmicks, such as Setup Spam, Hazard Spam, Shedinja, F.E.A.R., etcetera.

Keep in mind that this isn't a cure-all to low ladder cancer. If there were such a thing, I'd be all ears, but unfortunately, Low Ladder has a way of pulling weird sheet out of their ass (like band ferrothorn and Sand Rush Mega Garchomp) that will meme you. Don't get mad, we all know it sucks.

fRBsGdn.gif

Rayquaza-Mega @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Aerilate

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Fake Out

- Extreme Speed

- Boomburst

- Infestation

[spoiler=Explanation]

Standard Aerilate Rayquaza. Fully invested ATK lets it deal a good chunk of damage with Fakespeed, and Hasty prevents any loss of damage with Boomburst. Infestation is for Shedinja and tanks that rely on Spore to get off a lot of setup. Use it to stop Setup opportunities by nailing frail, fast sweepers with high priority and high damage. You can also use V-create or Swords Dance to get past powerful attackers, or try a Sharp Beak/Life orb.

n9a8Cb6.gif?1

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Heart Swap

- Baton Pass

- Heal Order

- Metal Burst

[spoiler=Explanation]

Mainly to check the standard Contrary variant (V-create/Superpower/Draco/Filler), but also useful for switching into pretty much any non-Ground, non-Ghost attacker, especially Special Setup Sweepers like Poison Heal Ogre or mono-Fire/Fighting attackers like most Mega Blaziken. Metal Burst is a backup in case several Dracos are too much for you, but it can be swapped with Gastro Acid if you want to check both Contrary--or at least those who dare to stay in--and Poison heal without the utility of extra damage.

2k0BxOp.gif

Arceus @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Dark Void

- Defog

- Stealth Rock

- Pursuit

[spoiler=Explanation]

This set is half original. Goggles help it get past Spores from Deo-S, while MB Dark Void puts the hurt on careless Magic Bounce users and everything that isn't statused. Rocks and Pursuit are to make sure you take out Sturdy Shedinja and deal some extra damage to Rayquaza and Kyurem. A properly timed Defog can be really helpful so that you don't get setup-spammed.

MtTs8dJ.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite

Ability: Fur Coat

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Impish Nature

- Whirlwind

- U-turn

- Heal Order

- King's Shield

[spoiler=Explanation]

This may not be an optimal team choice alongside Aegislash's role as a semi-ate check and Groudon's ability to check any -Ate without Boomburst, but the reason I wanted Fur Coat Chansey on this team was because every new player will probably see it as unkillable for a little while. It easily sponges all non-STAB moves that it isn't weak to (except maybe from a highly boosted V-create), and just phazes out the attacker, healing promptly afterward. King's Shield can be replaced with Metal Burst if you prefer, but there's already Metal Burst on Aegislash, and I chose not to go for it because it becomes predictable and creates unfavorable mind games. Whirlwind gets rid of Setup users, while U-Turn lets you pivot into your -Ate or safely poison your PH Ogre.

viasyuw.gif

Kyogre @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Quiver Dance

- King's Shield

- Scald

- Moonblast

[spoiler=Explanation]

I cannot kill this thing, ergo neither can anyone else. After one quiver dance, Kyogre's Special stats and Speed skyrocket, letting Scald land for a good deal of damage plus a potential burn. On top of that, King's Shield cuts the opponent's Attack in half, making sure you can take a few hits as you recover your HP. Moonblast lays waste to most Dragons that would try to switch in, such as Rayquaza, Kyurem, Giratina, Mega Sceptile (who you should watch out for regardless), and Mega Garchomp.

BPAoWhg.gif

Groudon @ Rocky Helmet

EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe

Careful Nature

- Shift Gear

- Thousand Waves

- Leech Seed

- Ice Punch

[spoiler=Explanation]

Another semi-original set, Fur Coat Groudon is a fun tank that deals with its imposter easily. Ice Punch is iffy, because it puts a lot of hurt on you from the imposter after a Shift Gear, but it's mainly filler. Rocky Helmet both checks Shedinja and makes Pixilate and Aerilate users wary about switching in. Leech Seed harms Shedinja's usual other pivoting move, Baton Pass, by having it pass the absorption. Thousand Waves keeps things in that would get 2HKOed by its moves but would switch out into a tank or a resist. Ice punch, as I mentioned, is filler, and can be replaced with something that would let you stay in on Imposter, like Nuzzle.

So yeah, spent way too much time writing this. Enjoy.

Why not Primal Kyogre instead of normal Kyogre?

Pogre is banned. 

Also, I CRACKED THE NAZI CODE TO BH

KIND OF

IDK WHY I EXPECT PEOPLE TO CARE BUT HEY ANOTHER TEAM

[spoiler=i play this game too much]

The first team was a low ladder team, but this one works for High Ladder.

Over half of it is generic and overused, but I feel like I put a few nice spins on it that help out a lot.

The team seems to successfully throw people off a bit, between Groudon being really niche and Latias being almost nonexistent in the meta. Idk, generic honestly works in Balanced Hackmons.

9EFg9ES.gif

Bigass Memes (Latias-Mega) (M) @ Soul Dew  

Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Modest Nature  
- Heal Order  
- Quiver Dance  
- Psystrike  
- Leech Seed  

[spoiler=Explanation]

This is probably one of my favorite sets. Heal Order helps it retain bulk, Quiver Dance lets it set up, Psystrike puts the hurt on PH Kyogre quite a good deal (OHKO from full health at +3), and Leech prevents PH users from restoring HP, kills Shedinja on the switch, and helps to imposter-proof your set. Another helpful imposter-proof is the Soul Dew, which makes your Special Attack and Special Defense 1.5x higher. The imposter won't have it, so it'll have much less Special Attack and Special Defense, and you get much more HP from the imposter than it does from you. Be careful, though, because there is no other imposterproof for this mon other than itself.

V5MGeI6.gif
op garbage (Diancie-Mega) (F) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Pixilate  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe  
Hasty Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Extreme Speed  
- Boomburst  
- V-create  

[spoiler=Explanation]

Wow, Toad, ur so creative!!!!! Generic as funk Pixie Diancie, but the Life Orb variant instead. 2HKOs Mega Gengars that try to sneak in and KO you, OHKOs not fully invested Giratina with Boomburst, and OHKOs non-Flash Fire Regi/Aegi on the switch with V-create. Be careful about shedinja, because it walls you and you'll take chip damage for bad predictions

SbMfp8f.gif
Official (Audino-Mega) (M) @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def  
Sassy Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Heal Order  
- King's Shield  
- U-turn  
- Leech Seed  

[spoiler=Explanation]

This one is honestly dead weight sometimes, but it's pulled me through enough games to justify being around. U-turn lets you pivot out of bad situations, Heal Order keeps you healthier than you usually need to be, Leech checks some PH users and Shedinja, and King's Shield is in case you decide "well maybe I won't bring in my Status Orb safely and just chance it that they don't have trick." Or, if you're smart, for extra bulk. Whichever you prefer.

iWkxreP.gif
(Groudon) (M) @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Soundproof  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Leech Seed  
- Thousand Waves  
- Spiky Shield  
- Milk Drink  

[spoiler=Explanation]

You would be surprised how reliable this thing is. Its DEF is just off the charts with enough investment, and it hard walls Aerilate and Pixilate (although Refrige Kyurem is another story). Thousand Waves cripples stuff that doesn't have U-turn, Leech kills Shedinja, Spiky Shield puts chip damage on frail mons and also kills shedinja, while Milk Drink prevents you from dying. ALWAYS KEEP THIS ALIVE WHILE THEY HAVE A CHANSEY. I HAVE LOST 3 TIMES TO IMPOSTER CHANSEY ON MY ATE, AND IT SUCKS.

fRBsGdn.gif
overrated trash (Rayquaza-Mega) (M) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Gale Wings  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Tail Glow  
- Oblivion Wing  
- Substitute  
- Earth Power  

[spoiler=Explanation]

This one is kind of filler, but it can be useful sometimes. Substitute gives you some leeway with your moves, Tail Glow demolishes anything that doesn't resist your moves, Oblivion Wing is priority HP recovery in a move that razes everything which is definitely fair, and Earth Power kills obnoxious Steel-Types. Basically, Substitute as soon as possible, use Tail Glow, and Oblivion Wing the sheet out of them. Don't go crazy, though, because it's not Imposter Proofed, although it doesn't always have to be because of Substitute

5GM8yDQ.gif
wow wtf (Chansey) @ Eviolite  
EVs: 252 HP / 250 Def / 8 SpD  
Relaxed Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Wish  
- King's Shield  
- Whirlwind  
- U-turn  

[spoiler=Explanation]

This thing...it just doesn't die. Wish lets you pass 350-some HP to whatever boi you want, which is usually back to full health, King's Shield keeps -Ate from hurting you too much and for keeping your own HP up, Whirlwind is for phazing Shell Smashers or (ugh) Belly Drummers, and U-turn pivots you into an optimal mon. Switch into pretty much anything but Mold Breaker and Shedinja, really.

Here's a replay, I'm v proud of it. Lost to that same team a billion times, then I actually made him forfeit.

I'm curious. Why do I always see Heal Order instead of Recover?

Heal order, recover, milk drink, and soft boiled are all the same thing, it's just up to personal preference/imprison. I personally like either Milk Drink or Heal Order, but sometimes just stick Recover on there because of laziness. There's also Roost if you actually want to manipulate your Flying typing, or you can put it on a non-flying to have the same as the others.

Another funny thing: You can use male Mega-Latias, so you can potentially trick people into thinking it's Mega Latios because the two look so similar.

So a few pages back I posted about that draft league I was in, and I think I've got a decent team planned for the draft (which is next week), but I'd like some feedback if you guys feel up to offering it. Remember, this uses a bid system where you start with 100 points, and different tiers cost different points to pull from. With that in mind, here's the team I've cooked up.

At least 8 points

Gliscor- Amazing wall and wallbreaker, using Poison Heal to remain unaffected by status all game and offer recovery, as well as having access to powerful options in Knock Off and Swords Dance, as well as support in the form of Stealth Rocks and Taunt, plus Roost. Also my favorite Pokemon, so plus.

Slowbro- If Gliscor resisted Dark these two would combo perfectly with each other. Slowbro shugs off the Water and Ice attacks Gliscor hates while the other is immune to Electric attacks. Also has amazing recovery in the form of Slack Off and Regenerator, and amazing bulk to back it up with a diverse movepool.

Kyurem-Black- Offensive main of the team, Ice/Dragon giving it a handful of good resistances, allowing it to also double as a hit-taker for Electric type moves for Slowbro if Gliscor is taken out, same for Water and Ice moves if Slowbro isn't available. An absolute offensive beast with not half bad bulk, Kyurem is a monster.

Mega Gardevoir- A Special juggernaught to counteract with Kyurem's physical, Gardevoir threatens Dragons just as effectively as Kyurem (moreso even given the Dragon immunity) while also being a big counter to the Fighting types that threaten it and also having very powerful attacks in the form of Pixilate Hyper Voice, which absolutely demolishes the MVP of our last season, Mega Sableye.

At least 6 points

Infernape- Quick and powerul, Infenrape offers us STAB on two types we don't have access to, as well as the first instance of priority with Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. Infernape has an incredibly diverse movepool that can do almost any kind of attacking well, or even support with Rocks (IDK why it gets Stealth Rock either). ALso offers us great momentum in the form of U-Turn.

Mandibuzz- Defensive in the extreme, Mandibuzz can use Defog to remove enemy hazards, particularly Stealth Rocks that Kyurem detests. Sucks that they remove our own Rocks as well, but sacrifices need to be made sometimes. Works to absorb threatening Dark type attacks aimed at Slowbro. 

Tentacruel- Extra hazard removal is never bad, particularly since this specially defensive mon can also set up his own in the form of the nasty Toxic Spikes, which he himself can suck up if they threaten us. Also gives us a Poison Type to fight those nasty Fairies and great support in Knock Off and what I think may be the best attack in the game outside of perhaps Earthquake, the almight Scald. Also has access to Haze, which is GREAT.

Heliolisk- Fast Electric types are great in draft, as they offer you a lot of good options and hat ever-important momentum in the form of Volt Switch. This and Infernape will keep us able to cycle through our team quickly and easily.

At least 4 points-

Registeel- EVEN MOAR ROOOOCKS. Registeel also offers us great bulk in addition to T-Wave and Toxic, allowing us to easily cripple enemy team members while being a good check to the clerics that can assist them, as they are mainly Fairy types, like Sylveon and Granbull, that take loads of damage from STAB Iron Head, or have bad physical defense like Blissey. 

Eelektross- Diverse movepool while not being fantastic, Eelektross has a Ground immunity and thus no weakness barring Mold Breaker, making it much less of an issue that we're doubling up on Electric. Also offers us a slower mon capable of using Volt Switch to get in others safely, particularly if he's wearing an Assault Vest.

At least 2 points- 

Gastrodon- Extra bulk because lack of it last season screwed me. Weak only to Grass-types and able to hit them on the switch-in with Ice Beam, Gastrodon allows us to stall out enemies with Toxic damage while easily healing it off ourselves.

Gourgeist-Super- Uses things like Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp to round out our status inflictions. Also gives us a Ghost type and Grass, STABs we don't yet have. Worked wonders for me last season as well.

With all these it'll take me a minimum of 68 points to draft them all, and I start with 105, so I have 37 points to play around with. Backup options incase a lot of mons are being drafted that work well as counters to my team or I really get screwed with bid wars are: Arcanine, Goodra, Empoleon, Mega Charizard X, Togekiss, Armaldo, Hitmontop, Florges, Honchkrow, Hydreigon, Roserade, Jolteon, and Quagire.

Thanks in adance to anyone who gives their thoughts on my team construction, hope it's good :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-424870910

I wasn't in this battle, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The nice part about low ladder is that they have very entertaining battles.

I love how it took him so long to realize Bronzong walled

That man had like, no special attackers...why

I hope that he didn't go for a Ground move because he didn't realize Prankster.

Anyway I kind of sucked at OU lately for some reason, didn't do terrible, but only okay. But this was fun

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-425223700

Fun fact, this was the first team I made on Showdown. Except Hippowdon used to be T-Tar

I love how it took him so long to realize Bronzong walled

That man had like, no special attackers...why

I hope that he didn't go for a Ground move because he didn't realize Prankster.

Anyway I kind of sucked at OU lately for some reason, didn't do terrible, but only okay. But this was fun

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-425223700

Fun fact, this was the first team I made on Showdown. Except Hippowdon used to be T-Tar

This is because OU is a garbage tier that makes no sense

This is because OU is a garbage tier that makes no sense

Says the BH player smh ;)

It's actually a quite fun tier imo. I enjoy other tiers a lot but I do find there's a lot more cheap/haxy stuff the lower you go. I just am not used to the ORAS meta (Especially certain Megas, and Volcanion) and seem to constantly end up with gaps in my teams for dealing with Keldeo and/or Latios

Says the BH player smh ;)

It's actually a quite fun tier imo. I enjoy other tiers a lot but I do find there's a lot more cheap/haxy stuff the lower you go. I just am not used to the ORAS meta (Especially certain Megas, and Volcanion) and seem to constantly end up with gaps in my teams for dealing with Keldeo and/or Latios

Sorry, I'm wrong. I'll try not to be disrespectful in the future. Please forgive me.

Archived