Moving Duel Portal Sub-Forum to Advanced/Giving it its own section

Atypical-Abbie

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should this section be moved out of Casual + given its own section

I don't fully understand why Duel Portal is in casual. While there might be casual cards posted for it, people are mainly posting cards that seem to fit Advanced much more than they do Casual. Another reason to move would be for it to be noticed more. People might see casual and not care to see what Duel Portal even is just because of that, and Advanced is more visited than Casual is.

EDIT:
Another option was pointed out below, that is, giving it its own section, which would also work, as it would still get attention that way, and it would not have to follow the Advanced or Casual rules, but its own.

Well, ideally speaking, it should not be riding any subsections of CC and be its own thing. Putting it in Advanced would make it seems that the program's quite inaccessible for relatively casual play and testing due to it seemingly trying to adhere to a stricter standard, while putting it under Casual gives the issues that you mentioned.

Then again, making it a direct subsection below CC instead of riding another subsection might make the big section looks a bit overcrowded.

I'll probably see you guy's opinion on this first for now.

Well, ideally speaking, it should not be riding any subsections of CC and be its own thing. Putting it in Advanced would make it seems that the program's quite inaccessible for relatively casual play and testing due to it seemingly trying to adhere to a stricter standard, while putting it under Casual gives the issues that you mentioned.

Then again, making it a direct subsection below CC instead of riding another subsection might make the big section looks a bit overcrowded.

Well yeah, that is kind of a paradox really, though it having its own section would also work, plus that would probably also give it more attention than it would otherwise. The only negative would be that there would be a lot of sections in CC, not sure if anyone actually cares about that, but I'm sure there are some people who get all hyped up over there being a lot of sections for some reason.

I agree with this. Its own section in CC would be ideal, but then it would look too crowded. It cannot be in Advanced because some cards submitted there are still at a Casual level and thus wouldn't fit the section.

If users agree on giving its own section, then count with my vote; but if it would be a problem, then leave the section in Casual right where it is now. Perhaps you could open a poll for this.

5 would definitely be too much for CC. Leave it for the other CC, which deserves it more. /notreallystrikethrough

OT: DP once went to Realistic, and then went back to AoC. Since we're straying from "just a place to use custom cards" to a place that actually is trying to have its own power level that is different from the actual game's meta, it feels more fitting in Casual than Advanced. Giving it its own entire section sounds silly. If you want to give it more attention, put Casual above Advanced and try to actually make it look more like the go-to place for new members posting cards than Advanced.

That last thing makes sense. Not all card makers who just found YCM and make the cards they have always wanted understand card balance, are pros, etc. So, Casual should be the first place they see and visit, and later give a try to Advanced section, which is basically the next level, if they stay long enough to learn/understand what is it about.

How about we put this to a vote in this?

To be fair, I don't mind moving DP out of Casual and into its own section; we were okay with 5 sections before the renovation, so it shouldn't be too much.

It might help it see more attention, though at the moment, it's doing pretty well over there; as far as activity is concerned.

Though we'll look over this.

As for the other idea of placing Casual over Advanced, that can be done. (I only have to drag the forums into the desired order; not like we have to manually put settings in there unless they're sub-forums)

Yeah, sorry about that.

Though you should be able to change anything related to the questions and other things, since it's still your thread.

As for the Casual thing, it technically makes sense; seeing a lot of newer members tend to post in the first forum that's accessible to them, and that just happened to be Advanced for most intents/purposes. Some cards are worth their spot in Advanced; others are better off in Casual.

In that other member's case (the one with 15 topics and stuff), a lot of them are designed for meta and other things, but definitely not Advanced material, design-wise.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Though you should be able to change anything related to the questions and other things, since it's still your thread.

As for the Casual thing, it technically makes sense; seeing a lot of newer members tend to post in the first forum that's accessible to them, and that just happened to be Advanced for most intents/purposes. Some cards are worth their spot in Advanced; others are better off in Casual.

In that other member's case (the one with 15 topics and stuff), a lot of them are designed for meta and other things, but definitely not Advanced material, design-wise.

I don't really care where casual is, I was just confused that it suddenly happened, but I guess your reasoning makes sense anyhow, so another improvement, hurray!

Given how the power level of Advanced is different from that of DP, but the expectations are similar in terms of strictness, I think it's more than fair for it to have its own section. I mean, yeah, it doesn't have as much presence now, but it's just getting started. If you ask me, it's inevitable. Might as well do it now.

I'd be up for Duel Portal getting even a small sub-section space.

It has been around for a while, is arguably the most convenient way to have custom cards used and has been housing different formats:

-Playing like it is done in IRL formats to test out few custom cards in it.

-Griffin's format soon to come into action.

-I'm pretty sure there were other cards for a format a long time ago made specifically for Duel Portal, so I'm assuming there's more.

I think it is getting extensive enough, but it could use more attention so being in a bigger and more noticeable place than just a thread or two would definitely help.

That's one of the reasons we gave you a DP forum for discussion purposes.

Essentially, show off your cards that are in there + we discuss their interactions with whatever's on there.

In a way similar to TCG, but not exactly.

As for quality, you should've put some thought into designing, but nothing's stopping you from designing things related to the metagame or not.

Of course, power creep was one of the major things in that tournament, so yeah.

Again, if you want your threads in this section, PM either myself or Nai to move them; or just remake them here if they're past their bump dates.

Anyway, there's not much point anymore in keeping the discussion standing much longer, I believe.

I think we've read enough points regarding this, and we'll follow the poll result.

So, thread is locked for now, and after some reviewing on the section's rule, this section will be moved.

Any objections should be sent via personal message.

Thank you all for your time~

Archived