Digimon Tri: 90's kids... y'all ready for some nostalgia?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leomon is to dying is Leo DiCaprio is to not getting an Oscar. Just you wait Leomon next series for sure. You WILL live. If not you will always have V-Tamer.

[spoiler=tri. 2]Besides the Mega Form Hype, I noticed Himekawa(or w/e the hell her name is) smiled when Leomon got sliced. Meaning she's probably in league with the true mastermind, if not being it herself. This also explains her character "inconsistencies". She seems too hardboiled to be "nice" just because. Sending Izzy pics of Mimi? Okay, I'll buy it. Spring Time of Youth and all that. But leaving Meicoomon alone?! FOR CREPES?! C'mon son.

Since we aren't treating Leomon dying as a spoiler (and really, why should we) I AM curious about the where involved in his death if you all catch what I'm throwing down.

I found these 4 episodes really interesting since we got almost NO action. Instead we got lots of character stuff and it was GOOD. I love Mimi and I feel for Joe's dilemma. New girl is also cute. Poor girl....

Other general thoughts:

Hot springs had almost no fan service (though we got Kari and TK shipping scene). Also had Mei trying to steal a look at Tai in a towel was funny.

The fate of the 02 kids will hopefully be fully explored in the next part. I mean, they know Ken is evil again and controlling a fusion involving another of the 02 kids partners. Seems like the next obvious place to go. Also, Imperialdramon die at the end of the fight? Like, it would be really weird for them to do that, but he did kind of go boom.

Based on this involving Mimi and Joe and the next focusing on Izzy and Sora, my guess is part 4 will be TK and Kari and 5 will be Tai and Matt proper (part 1 also did this, but it mostly served to reintroduce everything).

Also not gonna lie, I actually didn't see Patamon the first time I saw the poster.

Now we wait 6 months for the next part (September 24th is when the 3rd part comes out)

SIX?!?!?!? I thought it would be like 4 since that was the gap between 1 and 2. GAH WHY YOU DO THIS?!?!? 

[spoiler=tri. 2]Besides the Mega Form Hype, I noticed Himekawa(or w/e the hell her name is) smiled when Leomon got sliced. Meaning she's probably in league with the true mastermind, if not being it herself. This also explains her character "inconsistencies". She seems too hardboiled to be "nice" just because. Sending Izzy pics of Mimi? Okay, I'll buy it. Spring Time of Youth and all that. But leaving Meicoomon alone?! FOR CREPES?! C'mon son.

[spoiler=response]

I caught that too and played it back to make sure I did see it. Yea, I can't get a solid read on her. Like all I've gotten so far is that she clearly knows more than she is letting on.

I'd have thought it'd be 4 months as well. I hope it's worth the wait though.

Also, realizing its 6 movies makes me REALLY curious just how long this is going to be dragged out. Like, movie 3 puts us at half way and thats after nearly a year. Two years to release a 24 episode series is WAY too much regardless of how good it is.

Also, speaking of quality, the animation budget was really light this episode. Felt like we had a number of static images moving around and as someone who rarely notices something like it says something about it here.

Also, realising its 6 movies makes me REALLY curious how long this is going to be dragged out. Like, movie 3 puts us half way and that's after nearly a year. Tw years to release a 24 episode series is WAY too much regardless of how good it is.

Also, speaking of quality, the animation budget was really light this episode. Felt like we had a number of static images moving around and as someone who rarely notices something like it says something about it here.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even notice the static images, but I was made aware of it from reviews who thought this episode wasn't that great compared to the first. Even though it was meant to focus on Joe and Mimi, there was more of a focus on Meiko than Mimi.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even notice the static images, but I was made aware of it from reviews who thought this episode wasn't that great compared to the first. Even though it was meant to focus on Joe and Mimi, there was more of a focus on Meiko than Mimi.

I thought Mimi got more focus personally. Not to mention what we got from her was REALLY good. If anything Meiko got more focus than Joe, but even if she did she is a new character and the plot seems to revolve around her so they need to build her up and get the audience invested in her.

I thought Mimi got more focus personally. Not to mention what we got from her was REALLY good. If anything Meiko got more focus than Joe, but even if she did she is a new character and the plot seems to revolve around her so they need to build her up and get the audience invested in her.

Well the episode certainly did a good job of getting the audience to like Meiko.

Animation is cheap (unless its to animate boobs)

Rosemon took this chapter's budget. Though other than her, there's not much else to animate.

The writing, while there's some flaws, and some questionable choices, is a lot better than the first ones. Both of Mimi and Joe's dilemmas are far more sympathetic and understandable than Tai's conflict in the first, at least with how they present it.

Like, seriously. Had they want to make Tai's dilemmas actually work, they just actually need move the helicopter scene of the current episodes back into the first four.

Both of Mimi and Joe's dilemmas are far more sympathetic and understandable than Tai's conflict in the first, at least with how they present it.

Like, seriously. Had they want to make Tai's dilemmas actually work, they just actually need move the helicopter scene of the current episodes back into the first four.

well. to be fair, the helicopter incident still kind of proves that tai was right to worry. i mean, his main concern is that people will get caught up in the crossfire, and that's pretty much exactly what happened here, unlike joe, tai's at least willing to put up a fight, his issue lies in the fact that he doesn't seem willing to follow through. for example the issue of omegamon breaking up still hasn't been resolved. joe was completely unwilling to fight, and with this episode, he seems to have realized that he's gonna end up hurting one way or another (just because he refuses to fight doesn't mean gomamon will as well), so he may as well fight, if only to keep his partner from dying alone. tai on the other hand has pretty much the opposite issue, he's willing to fight, but he worries too much to follow through in decisive moments which has lead to his partner being hurt. this episode, depending on how they handle tai's resolution, could very well serve as a comparison point.

so i get the feeling that it'll be held over during the next section, and built up slowly until the resolution (which had better be satisfying)

also, damn. i knew he was gonna die, but i did not expect it to be like that.

the first one was still reintroducing us to the characters after they grew up, and introducing new elements. they had quite a bit to handle in the first 4, and for the amount of details they put into it, they were a bit heavier handed, but it wasn't really worse than the second, it just had a different tune than the second part. speaking of needs, i need to see joe's girlfriend, you can't just put that out there and leave us all hanging.

IMO part 1 was weaker than 2, but it is still good. It had a lot to do since reintroducing 8 characters in that small window is hard. Part 2 was the more important part imo simply because it showed us how they are planning to handle the story they are telling and so far it look like they have a very good plan and it should be good.

So I just watched it yesterday. My thoughts:

[spoiler=Thoughts]
I'll be honest, I was a little unsure when they started up on the hot springs bit, because well, I think we know how hot springs scenes are usually treated in anime. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by how the scene went. I mean we still had the opposite gender end up in the wrong room situation but it was much more tastefully done, and the reactions of everyone involved were much more realistic. 

On the topic of that bit, did anyone else notice Meiko stare a Tai's dick for like a minute in the hot springs? I noticed it. I dunno, I thought that was a somewhat nice subtle joke.

Both Meme's and Joe's development were handled exceedingly well, and I can't really stress how much I appreciated them subtly pointing out that Meme has lost some touch with her culture from living in America so long. It really added a lot to her character that they didn't have to do, so I appreciate it. As for Joe, I think that he could have had a bit more focus on his issues than he did, but they still did a pretty decent job of getting the point across. Again, it was nice seeing a touch of realism added to the series as it made it more immersive and believable to watch as well as invoke strong emotions towards these characters (although this may have just been a personal feeling, as I have had similar situations as Joe did.) and really fleshed out the smaller details of their personalities.

Oh and did anyone else catch that hooters reference Meme made? I did .3.

Also really glad that Meiko got more screen time. She still KINDA feels like a self insert character, but significantly less so now. This was one thing I actually mentioned that they should improve on too, so I appreciate that she does feel more like a member of the group now. Hopefully they continue to improve this, because as of now it's really easy for them to bring her back to being a self insert sorta character without meaning to.

Watching Gomamon and Palmon Mega Digivolve was a sight great enough to bring a small tear of nostalgia to my eye too. This doesn't happen often, but I actually felt like a kid again watching this, but not because it was just a thing I saw as a kid and had fond memories of or because it felt like a childish series, but because it actually managed to dig up the sense of wonder and excitement that I always had when watching as a child. It really sunk in that these characters had grown, same as I did, and that's really the best thing this series can do for it's audience.

However, there were a few things that I feel I should point out. While I had no problems at all with the Mega Digivolve forms, I can't help but think that the groups reaction to seeing this was a little lackluster. Think about it. The only Mega Digivolutions they've witnessed were Agumon and Gabumon's Warp Digivolving, (I'm not counting Gatomon and Patamon since that happened off screen for the movie) and then suddenly Gomamon and Palmon, arguably the two least likely to have gotten their Mega forms at this point, suddenly do it without needing the whole arrow piercing thing. Shouldn't they be awestruck and losing their minds over it? Instead their reactions may have well just been "Oh good. They did the thing." Admittedly there's nothing really wrong with this, but it seems like they just didn't treat the event the way they should have. I'm not asking for a lot here, just a bit more shock and awe than what they had.

Also anyone remember that scene where Ken's just walking around casually at the festival? Okay maybe casually is a bit too strong, but he's not really being stealthy. Honestly it looked like he was just being that emo kid who pretends they don't want to be seen by anyone, but they really do so they start very obviously sneaking around and looking to see if people are noticing them. The thing is, I don't think it would have been too bad if someone did see him. I mean they still don't know he's back to his Digi Emperor days at that point and he's at a costume contest festival. The worst that might happen is someone sees him and says hi, maybe asks about the other second gen Digidestined. That's not exactly a difficult thing to explain. That aside, it made all the tension of the Ken reveal disappear since we already saw him. So when he shows up your not as excited as you should be because you already know he was there in the background for no real reason. Most of those shots ultimately served no purpose other than to be like "Ooooohhhhh spoooooooky~" anyways since when he did pop in to take Meicoomon he came out of a Digiportal.

So basically, Ken opens a Digiportal, comes out, and does an ominous pose for about five minutes. He then goes back into the Digiportal for a while and gets bored, so he pops back out randomly to see if anyone can see him only to pop back in to the Digiportal again. When Meicoomon is alone, he pops out of the Digiportal one last time and takes Meicoomon. Ken then retreats back into that portal, where he allows only Palmon and Gomamon to follow him for some reason, and then hands Meicoomon back after he infects him with whatever virus is and disappears again. So... why did they have to show him twice? Did they think we wouldn't get that Ken was behind it if they didn't show him there before or something? I dunno, this just seems like a really weird and unnecessary bit for the series that doesn't add much of anything to it. 

While Meiko started to feel like less of a self insert, Meicoomon felt like more of a self insert in this. I wasn't a fan of how literally everything seemed to fawn over him because he's kinda cute. The ending bit didn't really help either. I don't dislike him per say, bu he feels a little bit like he was written by someone on fanfiction.net. I don't see this changing too much in the next part though due to how this part left off, but my hopes are high. As I stated with Joe and Meme, they seem to know exactly what they need o do as far as character development goes, so I'm willing to put faith in them that they'll be able pull it back. 

That's pretty much everything I have to say though. I mean everyone already knew Leomon was gonna die, and it was kinda obvious that he was gonna get dun in as soon as he went into the Digiportal thing. Even the way was kinda predictable, sooo... Yeah. Really looking forward to part three.

• 4 months later...

Digimon Adventure Tri is headed to theaters across the United States, as Toei Animation and Eleven Arts are teaming up to screen the first chapter of the six-part film series later this year.

According to a press release from Toei, the English dub of Chapter 1: Reunion will be shown in over 300 theaters across the U.S. on September 15 as part of a one-night Fathom Events screening. A wide release across major cities will follow sometime after.

This theatrical debut will serve as the first time the English version of Digimon Adventure Tri is shown in North America, as the Japanese-voiced versions of both Chapter 1 and Chapter 2: Determination are currently available for streaming online.

It's been a long time since the popular anime franchise appeared on the big screen in the United States, with Digimon: The Movie making its theatrical debut in the U.S. back in 2000.

"American viewers have been eagerly awaiting the next chapter in the Digimon saga for nearly sixteen years, and we’re delighted to have produced this English language version for theaters, giving it the cinematic treatment our fans deserve," Toei Animation president Masayuki Endo said.

I got something better:

I was checking out the latest news from Anime News Network and I noticed a few things?

Any of you know who the old VA's of Digimon 01 are?

If you answer yes this will be quite the nostalgia bomb going off cause whoever is in charge of dubbing the movies is

"Getting the gang back together".

What Funimation did for Slayers Revolution, these guys are doing for Digimon Try. By this I mean they are getting the original VA's from Digimon 01 to repriese their roles after more than 1 1/2 decades. Fans of the old school rejoice indeed.

I understand not all will make it. But it is to be expected. Just wanted to give you guys an update on what's happening.

Update, here, a recentlu updated cast list:

Previously announced cast members include:

Eh?

Archived