Digimon Tri: 90's kids... y'all ready for some nostalgia?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theyre definitely just sticking with the Adventure series cast, considering how theres been no scrap of the other characters and its said to take place between Adventure 01 and 02

maybe well see 02 cast but i doubt it

Six movies?

Six... movies.

SIX MOVIES?!??!?!

B- b- but those take forever to get out of Japan and be subbed...! We'd have to wait for the DVD releases! Dammit, why couldn't it just be an anime series? WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, I AM IN DESPAAAAIIIRRRRRRR! TOEI Y U DO DIS 2 US

Well, at least we're getting Digimon Tri at all. I guess that's a plus.

Let us pray it's not.

They didn't call it a movie(s) so I'm really scared it will be.

They're gonna be about an hour long, each.

Okay, so I've got until November to rewatch the first series, good. I've got a lot of anime on my plate right now.

yeah im probably going to spend the time rewatching the first series too, i barely remember it and ive only rewatched a bit out of Adventure 2 and Tamers

Suggestion from someone that just did that: Watch it in English so you can do something else. Show is a lot harder to watch when you're not a 5 year old. Also, pro-tip: find a friend to watch along with. Better to laugh with someone than laugh at your own mortality. Both 01 and 02 are on Netflix for those interested.

Although, we all know Joe x Mimi is the true best ship in the show

If you mean shitshipping, yeah sure. Even watching the show back today, those two are literally the worst.

Character designs look nice and all (and Mat looks even more like me than he used to, awk), but im worried about that animation quality. Maybe i'm just seeing things, but there seems to be a distinct lack of frames in there. I know Toei likes to cut corners, but still.

There's a difference between having no budget and cutting corners on something that should look good. Adventure was originally supposed to be like 12 episodes and existed to plug tamagotchi knock offs. The franchise frankly deserves better treatment these days with the pedigree it has now. Hence why I'm worried.

Adventure 01's animation was shitty for 49 out of 50 episodes. Episode 13 had a ridiculously high budget in comparison and then it disappeared. The fact that it was only supposed to be 12 episodes changes nothing if it still went that long without any good quality animation. 02 wasn't even much better and that went for 50 episodes as well.

Anyway, this show has one of my favorite character designers (Tsuritama) so I'm not surprised at how good they all look. The writer of the show did Persona 4 The Animation and the director did the first and last episode of School Days so I'm super interested in seeing what the hell they put out no matter the quality of the animation.

They're gonna be about an hour long, each.

Suggestion from someone that just did that: Watch it in English so you can do something else. Show is a lot harder to watch when you're not a 5 year old. Also, pro-tip: find a friend to watch along with. Better to laugh with someone than laugh at your own mortality. Both 01 and 02 are on Netflix for those interested.

i can multitask with subs just fine, i get that it probably wont be as good as it was when i was younger and im already expecting the not-so good animation.

i will probably start up on 01 over the weekend

Adventure 01's animation was shitty for 49 out of 50 episodes. Episode 13 had a ridiculously high budget in comparison and then it disappeared. The fact that it was only supposed to be 12 episodes changes nothing if it still went that long without any good quality animation. 02 wasn't even much better and that went for 50 episodes as well.

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say. Adventure and 02 were simply meant to plug toys. There was never any reason to give them a lot of money to begin with because less money spent means more cash to allocate to other things and overall increased profit from a smaller investment. Those shows established the franchise and didn't really have anything to prove other than "This is cool, isn't it kids? Come buy our toys!"

Tri is an entirely different animal. Its A. not an ongoing 50 episode weekly television series, which means that as a series of hour long specials it can do more with less money animation wise. B. Is an anniversary project, which means it should look as good as possible to help attract older fans who grew up with adventure to something that's otherwise aimed at kids. and C. Has its work cut out for it in keeping the digimon brand popular after its overexposure over the past decade or so and the pretty lackluster tv series that came before it.

Basically what I'm getting at is that its in the franchise's best interest to have Tri be really, really good in as many areas as possible. And seeing Toei apparently scrimping on the animation for the trailer of all things has me concerned about what that means for the rest of the show.

I'm sure that I personally will enjoy it no matter what (as will most of us fans here), but when it comes to what Tri means for digimon as a franchise, I'm not so certain.

They only really skimped on part of the effects animation, though. The only thing I could see was a problem with frames in that trailer was the shitty purple light flashing in and out. Everything else looked really, REALLY good. Even the slow-paced scene where he picks out his goggles had a lot more movement than you're used to seeing in limited, even if it mostly stayed in the x and y-axis. There was also z-axis movement and detailed backgrounds, which is far more than Adventure 01 and 02 could possibly say. The background where agumon hugs tai is the only exception, but it's clearly calling back to the matte backgrounds of the original series.

They only really skimped on part of the effects animation, though. The only thing I could see was a problem with frames in that trailer was the shitty purple light flashing in and out. Everything else looked really, REALLY good. Even the slow-paced scene where he picks out his goggles had a lot more movement than you're used to seeing in limited, even if it mostly stayed in the x and y-axis. There was also z-axis movement and detailed backgrounds, which is far more than Adventure 01 and 02 could possibly say. The background where agumon hugs tai is the only exception, but it's clearly calling back to the matte backgrounds of the original series.

You can't really compare 13-15 year old cheap weekly TV animation to something current and new. Really, its not that the Tri trailer looks bad, its just that it doesn't look too great, and for the studio ostensibly putting their best foot forward and generating hype, that's not a very good sign. All I'm saying is that Toei can do better, and they don't seem like they are. Come November I hope that will change.

You can't really compare 13-15 year old cheap weekly TV animation to something current and new. Really, its not that the Tri trailer looks bad, its just that it doesn't look too great, and for the studio ostensibly putting their best foot forward and generating hype, that's not a very good sign. All I'm saying is that Toei can do better, and they don't seem like they are. Come November I hope that will change.

I just disagree that it looks bad.

All I'm saying is that Toei can do better, and they don't seem like they are. Come November I hope that will change.

So I admit I don't see/watch a lot of Toei stuff, but from what I [i]have[/i] seen them do they seem to just cut corners in animation whenever and wherever hey please. Overall, it doesn't look like shit, which is all you can really ask for.

I get that they should be trying to appeal to the older fans with flashy animation as well, but as you pointed out most of the older fans will watch it and probably enjoy it anyways. Still not an excuse to cut corners with animation, but it still doesn't look that bad either.

That being said, I'm not really an animation buff or anything either. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just got to the first of four episodes. Hearing Wada Kouji sing Butterfly again breaks my heart(Guy had some sorta ailment that changed his voice and all, can't sing as well as he did but he sure as hell tries). And hell, they even got the first ED singer to sing it again.

At first I really liked the artstyle choice but upon seeing it in action, I can't help but feel little bothered as the episode went on. The artstyle's mood is different from what I expect for a Digimon continuation, I suppose. Being different is not bad but in this case I don't think it looks very good and more importantly, it looked kinda cheap.

Hikari is as cute as ever and that's alright. Everything's alright.

I actually like the change of artstyle, really.  I think the older version is way too childish, so seeing the animation mature alongside it's previous audience is pretty neat...though there is that one scene where Tai and Matt are sitting next to each other, and their mouths look like a who's.  The fights are fluid, and so are regular scenes.

also mfw Agumon's VA is the same as Goku's....never watched a subbed digimon before.

The humor was great, relationships are evolving, and the plot...ehhhhhhhh plot's doing alrightish.  

[spoiler=Spoilers?]

YO WHAT HAPPENED TO DAVIS AND THE GANG!?!??!  LIKE WTF!???

Also, ROYAL KNIGHT HYPE!!!!

Archived