Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

In case anyone cares, for the last two months I've been putting a cipher in my sig, just below the Deck Challenge. It's an alternate method of getting in the AGM; solve it, then send me a Decklist under its challenge restrictions. It's basically a second Deck Challenge, but much easier to compensate for the difficulty of cracking the cipher.

There's also going to be another Card Contest up, hopefully soon, but not an entire archetype. That takes weeks, and depending on the prompt it might go very poorly. Instead, it'll be based around supporting series in the Generics thread, or maybe for certain AGM archetypes- it'll show understanding of how archetypes and series should synergize, without going to colossal effort.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Don't think people care about the cipher too much, considering what happened during Halloween and all. The alternative method helps, but yeah)

Let's see how that goes, considering there's a ton of generics and stuff in there as well. Might be easier to manage, however it depends on the member base and their interest. 

====

For the queue, I'll just toss a vote for Zefra to lower it a bit. 

Then that brings the updated queue to seven:

Majespecter (2/3 - Sakura, Nyx)

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/4 - Nyx, Dova)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (2/3 - Sakura, Melon)

Metalfoes, bar Electrumite (2/3 - Sakura, Dova)

Galaxy, bar "Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy", "Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk", "Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon", "Number 83: Galaxy Queen", "Number 90: Galaxy-Eyes Photon Lord", "Number 95: Galaxy-Eyes Dark Matter Dragon", "Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon", and "Number 107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon"(2/4 - Sakura, Draconus)

Lightsworn, bar Curious (1/3 - Kyumi)

Qli, bar Genius (1/3 - Dova)

So, to anyone wondering why I thought April's challenge was so hard, control, stun, and troll Decks are pretty rare here. Aeons have some elements of it, Aura has Durrall lock, there's Xage and Vigilizard, Haxxers obviously, Veldaion . . . and, barring a few one-off bosses in the Generics thread (notably Party Lord and Disasterman), that's about it unless you count Wysthae's pseudo-Kaiju style.

Also, still waiting on an okay or nay for Intergaluster.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/371589-intergaluster-crystal-fusion-control/?p=7087459

Alright, admitting defeat on Phantom Code. I'm really struggling to make it more interesting than A+B=C. I mean yes, that's what the prompt dictates, but such a said would be a pain to look through, and possibly just plain boring to play. Also, I'm having difficulty implement the actual mechanics of A+B, and deciding what effect makes a good A and a decent B, while simultaneously applying that to the Synchros/Xyz that ladder into the Contact Fusion.

For once, they've got the better of me. If anyone else wants to take them up, go ahead.

Already selected a next project thought:

Murine System

A WATER Cyberse Archetype of monsters that all have the effect where they gain 600 ATK and DEF for each card in the same column as them.  Because they tend to rely on the opponent having cards to keep their ATK up, they have a lot of effects involving direct attacks and protection.  They have continuous Spells/Traps, but they often remove the effects of monsters in their column as cost to activate/maintain.

Their boss monsters happen to be blue cards, but they're Rituals rather than Links and generally have gimmicks involving swapping cards in columns to activate stun or protection effects.  Rather than gaining 600, they gain 1000 ATK/DEF for their troubles.  As such though, the optimal version of the deck is mostly agreed to be the non-Ritual variation.

So, you all want to know something funny? I'd been considering adding Meklords to the queue, solely for Wisel and its Army monster. You see, something interesting I discovered is this DARK Machine Synchro/destruction synergy in a bunch of Konami cards and AGM additions, and Wisel fulfills both aspects through its Emperor and Army cards- the Emperor is a free Summon off destruction which can help control the gamestate, the Army is an 1800/0 Black Salvo target which works surprisingly well with existing support, and they're both DARK Machines to benefit from things like Heavy Metal Raiders. However, I'm on the fence with it- adding an entire archetype for two monsters is really dumb, and a lot of their other cards are just aggressively bad.

...on the other hand, I do have old Meklord support cards that I'd had sitting around that I hadn't gotten around to reworking so...

1 vote for Meklords for me.

Was also trying to find a post I'd made about some of the Bandit Keith singles and Meklords (BM-4 Blast Spider in particular), but I can't seem to find it.  The potential was there, but there just isn't enough stuff to work it irl.  Maybe it'd have more luck here?

By the by, I need to get around to starting on a new project.

New Project?

Also, what's the challenge, again?

April Fool's Day is a holiday built around trolling your opponent- let's celebrate! This challenge is focused around stun and troll Decks to their logical conclusion- don't let your opponent play the game! In case you want to take the easy way out, here, Veldaion is our counterpart to Counter Fairies, but there's surely more options than that!

Also, Meklord gets my vote. I liked these guys back when they first appeared.

New AGM Project. Selecting an archetype to make :P

Here's the challenge. I think it's in Draconus' sig, but I'm not sure, as I have sigs turned off.

April Fool's Day is a holiday built around trolling your opponent- let's celebrate! This challenge is focused around stun and troll Decks to their logical conclusion- don't let your opponent play the game! In case you want to take the easy way out, here, Veldaion is our counterpart to Counter Fairies, but there's surely more options than that!

Sure, Meklords forever. Does help I've made about 50 custom cards for them :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by Nyx. RIP.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/372207-agmwritten-murine-flowing-column-based-rituals-1212/

What's this? One project done in two days? I probably shouldn't have spent so much time on it, but I felt really passionate about it at the time. Again, chosen a next prompt, but will give it some space before I continue on it.

Blue Lightning

Fittingly, a Thunder archetype that loves its Ritual Summon. While their stats aren't much to write home about, they carry potent destruction/forced discard effects, most of which trigger on-Summon and can be used once per turn afterward. What makes them special among Ritual archetypes is support similar to Ancient Gear: When any monster is destroyed, they get to put Counters on their Continuous and Field Spells (usually no more than the destroyed monster's Level) that can be eaten up in place of your monsters. While they don't recycle (lightning doesn't strike twice, after all), their destruction effects are non-targeting, and sometimes negate effects in the process. If you start getting desperate, their Traps let you banish Blue Lightning cards from your Graveyard, really cutting you off even further, in order to get some last-ditch desperation nuking going on. They don't have an Extra Deck, unless you count a sprinkle of Main Deck Pendulums to get recurring Ritual Tribute fodder.

(I remember giving the name for it due to it being a Deck for fanfic character, but yeah, Draco made it a Ritual archetype for whatever reason. Then again, I technically scrapped the idea and fanfic due to time and sheet, plus it was a 5Ds era fic [and Pends don't exist] so...)

Current project outside this club (that technically derives from the game thread)

Mekk-marinas are a class of WATER Aqua monsters that are themed on aquatic life, such as dolphins, whales, sharks, manta rays, octopuses, etc. Similar to their counterparts in Crawlers, Jack Knights and so forth, they focus on Link Summoning and tie into the "World Legacy" archetype with an honorary member. Their Main Deck is mostly low Levels so you can make a reasonably nice board and are very straightforward in playing in the early game. 

Thematically, this is a tribe that comes from a spinoff story of the World Chalices (or one that has not been revealed yet). Their role as an antagonist or ally clan has not yet been determined.

In terms of projects I could probably do for AGM.

[spoiler=hi]

Sejujakairei

Power-themed with a side of swarming; does this seem like a familiar strategy? This Archetype copies many of the strategies used by the rival characters, which inevitably focuses on spamming multiple 3000 ATK Dragon/Wyrm-Type bosses. Fairly simple to work with, though they do have a form of field control if necessary, but any variants using them tend to be more bricky. The support Spell/Traps are plentiful, ranging from searching power to outright neutering everything the opponent can play (for a price). They do not like Links, and some of their members punish monsters that do not have a Level/Rank or any form of DEF points whatsoever; even forcing heavy penalties on a player who has one.[/font][/color][/background]

So in a way, the YGO rivals from the glory days banded together to show their dislike for VRAINS...in full force.

Windy

As their name might imply, WIND monsters that focus on repeatedly bouncing cards on the field en masse to the hand (so Divine Wind is a very good tech here). The monsters aren't too terribly powerful, but what they lack in brute force, they make up for in keeping the opponent's field devoid of anything (important). Once you come to the Extra Deck, the monsters become much more formidable and even start keeping the players' hands at bay. Similar to Majespecters, they possess a variety of backrow Traps that are extremely reactive to the opponent's cards. Oh, and they just conveniently happen to be Spellcasters too (for the most part), so more supports.

Just make sure the opponent doesn't hate you at the end, especially if you choose to run a hybrid Windy/Majespecter build as one of the core members here can/will search any WIND Spellcaster of your choosing.

Y-Gear

Machine-Type monsters that focus on the Phantom Synchro concept Crow had in ARC-V using Gofu. They have an ED equivalent of Foolish Burial in which their bosses are milled from the Extra to the Graveyard, in which case the Deck plays normally and Synchro Summons from the Graveyard in the MAIN Monster Zone (as they can do in the ARC-V format). They can also Synchro Summon normally and can easily switch in-between the methods for ARC-V, but come VRAINS, you'd want to be doing Phantom Synchros much more often for obvious reasons. Also the fact they punish any monsters without a Level, so...Xyz and Links can go screw themselves in the corner.

(inb4 someone calls this Deck out for developing a loophole to evade the VRAINS mechanics; also screw Mega Zaborg and Fuyu in the mirror.) 

Kirin Rangers

This is as it sounds. They're LIGHT Beast-Warrior Fusions who can separate into a Beast-Type Kilin monster and a Warrior-type Ranger monster, with the ability to recombine with a Kilin/Ranger to summon their Fusion forms, free of charge! It's a tough gimmick to ride with, but the Fusions have awesome effects in response to being Special Summoned, so it's worth the effort to split 'em up and recombine 'em! Restrictions apply, but not a lot.

Wendigoon

WIND Wyrms that focus on swarming / triggering whenever they leave the field; a la Shaddolls. Yes, they have FLIP effects to work with, but their main goal is repeated Extra Deck summons from Fusions all the way up until Xyz. Most of them have solid defense to live a few turns, but are perfectly capable of attacking when needed. Just make sure you continually keep monster presence up, because you'll need it to continually recycle your boards / support cards. 

(Also that Synchro I made yesterday goes well here, hehehe)

===
Draconic Mages

A class of Dragon monsters that also treat themselves as Spellcasters while in your possession, opening up dual possibilities with Spellcaster techs in Dragons. But enough about that. They have an array of support cards that make the opponent's cards disappear if a Draconic Mage is on the field, similar to the backrow for Majespecters. The monsters are varied in Attributes (and easily summonable), but that works in their favor since their Fusion and Synchro bosses gain effects the more varied your Attributes are.

For the best players, it is entirely possible to set up an entire board that is nigh unbreakable with these guys within a single turn (plus set up a full backrow), but requires a ton of strategy and combos. Just be wary of Kaiju and other forms of non-destructive removal, plus making sure you don't deck yourself out by going full-on crazy. Otherwise, you can still play them in a less OTK fashion and compete at the same level as current Zoos/True Kings. 

(being Dragon and Spellcaster has its perks now, doesn't it?)

[spoiler=Requiescat in pace Night-sama]

Daddy's Kids
A . . . disturbing archetype. Precisely five monsters of different Types (Plant, Spellcaster, Psychic, Beast-Warrior, and Machine) make up the primary archetype, with a sixth member- a Normal Warrior-Type monster with . . . unsettling flavor text: The least liked of Daddy's kids. Doesn't get played with like the others, not experimented on like the others, just locked in a room and left to sulk. The implication being that the others are the Types they are because of "Daddy" and some rather unscrupulous experimentation. As for what they do, these little tykes continue their dear old dad's legacy by experimenting on your opponent's cards . . . by letting you delete parts of your opponent's cards' text. They slowly but surely make your opponent's entire Deck Normal monsters, and render every Spell and Trap in their Deck utterly useless with some Spell and Trap support that helps them "experiment" on backrow and handtraps. And then there's Daddy himself, a Ritual monster that can be Summoned using your opponent's stuff as Tribute if they have no effect text . . . and he finishes the job his kids have been doing by rendering every card in your opponent's Graveyard textless, making every floating effect and grave-banishing searcher DoA. Daddy's screwed up, the kids are tormented, and your opponent hates you, but you're grinning like a maniac because you just beat every meta Deck out there without once touching your Extra Deck or relying on a broken floater. 

If anyone asks why Night is gone, blame it on the amount of drama certain members caused over the past couple years since the election.

I'll look for more later.

I think I'ma do Bandit Brotherhood (pg. 42)

Bandit Brotherhood is an archetype that steals your opponent's life points. As yours increase, your opponent's decreases. They do this by having normal spells that summon them from your deck and on-summon effects that give you life points. They then have a field spell and a few monsters that inflict damage to your opponent as you gain LP. To keep it interesting, they also have a deck-out strategy by having high rank XYZs that can banish cards from your opponent's deck face-down.

Something went wrong with your image there. Anywho:

After going back to our Group Archetype, I should to another project. But some of the ones that I found interesting have too much detail in the prompts as to how the archetype looks. And you know that if I can't find art for it, I either drop it or don't bother at all.

Do you guys know any archetype prompts that either have easy to find art or are vague when describing how they appear?

No one?

*sigh*

Well, after a bit of searching, I did come accross this:

Cursebringer

YOU SHALL BE CURSED FOR A THOUSAND YEEEEARS . . . or just three turns, I dunno.

This DARK Psychic/Spellcaster archetype is another one of those "all about the backrow" ones, similar to Fire Fist or Prophecy, with a naming convention based around the type of people who would logically curse you- sorcerers, witches, emperors, fortunetellers, et cetera.

The real meat lies in the backrow- curses by the bucketload. Each of these curses is only temporary- be it Normal Spells/Traps whose effect lasts for a set duration, or stun/lockdown-focused Continous stuff that requires some kind of maintenance cost, the curse will be broken over time.

If the game lasts that long.

You see, each of the archetypal backrow cards makes it very difficult for your opponent to play for a while- temporary one-sided Skill Drain, Jinzo, and Vanity's equivalents in the backrow are some of the worst offenders, but basically any kind of really annoying thing to have to play through is here, including one that auto-Honests any monster member of the archetype while it's active.

That said, for all that they're not exactly all that fast, themselves. So long as you go first and they don't luck into their battle-focused curses, you can basically just use whatever boss you brought out on turn 1 to slowly out their monsters until whatever curse is harming you the most wears off.

Sealed Knight

I looks slow, but I think I can manage it. Plus they don't have descriptions on how they look, so I have more freedom with art.

I've been wanting to take on various archetypes for the last week, and made considerable progress, but apparently my internal love of Fusion has yet to be sated . . . I keep trying to thrust Fusions into every project I take on. Even when I tried to put all my Yugou-based ideas aside into one pile of "I'll mess with this later", I'm having dreams of Fusion Summons and visions of purple cards dancing in the corners of my eyes.

So, I'm probably going to either find a Fusion prompt or push my steaming pile of Fusion-centric trash into one post.

Just as an update.

Speaking of updates, the queue:

Majespecter (2/3 - Sakura, Nyx)

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/4 - Nyx, Dova)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (2/3 - Sakura, Melon)

Metalfoes, bar Electrumite (2/3 - Sakura, Dova)

Galaxy, bar "Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy", "Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk", "Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon", "Number 83: Galaxy Queen", "Number 90: Galaxy-Eyes Photon Lord", "Number 95: Galaxy-Eyes Dark Matter Dragon", "Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon", and "Number 107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon"(2/4 - Sakura, Draconus)

Lightsworn, bar Curious (1/3 - Kyumi)

Qli, bar Genius (1/3 - Dova)

Also, while I look for ways to sate my Poly-based sweet tooth, I've gone ahead and added one more non-Effect Fusion (a target for Ascent of Fusion), and a non-Effect Ritual (Goblet-Shattering).

Finished a new archetype that was a challenge presented to me by a friend. He told me to step outta my comfort zone and make a Defense based archetype. I took inspiration from the old Gardna cards for it, but now that they r finished, I actually like them. Can they be added here? This is the link:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/372291-gardna-retrains-gardna-guild-archetype/

I would also like feedback on them plz and thank you.

Hey Draconus, I know I've already done it a bit, but what is your stance on remaking one's old AGM archetypes? I've been looking through a few from what I call my DARK ERA of cardmaking, wherein I was posting a lot of cards but with little effort, and I've been wanting to remake them to do their prompts justice.

The problem with remaking existing cards/archetypes is that occasionally you break up synergies/strategies that already existed, entirely by accident- that's why I'm generally against the use of errata in the real game, unless it's applied carefully (for example, I like Future Fusion's errata, but I loathe what was done to cards like Crush Card and Sangan). Remaking entire archetypes is definitely awkward ground to tread, and it would set a bad precedent that we can just scratch designs we don't like.

Looking back, GameChild is a remnant of my old Counter obsession, and a completely inconsistent clusterfuck of cards with hard variations on the scale of usefulness. Across the entire first wave of them, I can think of like five cards whose designs I still like, and second-wave GameChildren aren't much better. However, if I remade them, they wouldn't be GameChildren anymore- they'd probably be that Deck that uses EXP Counters with like seven consistency cards.

I don't know, it just doesn't sit right with me.

The problem with remaking existing cards/archetypes is that occasionally you break up synergies/strategies that already existed, entirely by accident- that's why I'm generally against the use of errata in the real game, unless it's applied carefully (for example, I like Future Fusion's errata, but I loathe what was done to cards like Crush Card and Sangan). Remaking entire archetypes is definitely awkward ground to tread, and it would set a bad precedent that we can just scratch designs we don't like.

Fair enough, but I thought one of the advantages by having all of our cards digitally and completely custom was that we could errata them if anything broken came up. I can understand that we break up certain synergies/strategies, but surely if we didn't know those synergies existed, it wouldn't make much difference? Different synergies could arise from that.

I still think it's important to look at archetypes before reworking them, because as you say, considering we have an entire format to work with, any retconning could be disastrous. I'll give you the two I'm working on now, along with the ones I plan to deal with the future, and you can give your thoughts. I'll probably remake them anyway just for my own purposes, but if I'm working for the AGM, it'd give me a better idea of how to change them, and it'd feel better.

Bounty Hunter: Really, all I'm planning on doing here is giving the main cards some extra effects so that they're actually playable. They really have no speed or playability at the moment, and very little interactions with other cards at the moment, considering their lack of external effects.

M.M.M.: This one is too slow at the moment, and barely even sticks to the prompt. But really, I just like the concept and want to revisit it. Maybe it'll even just be mostly a repost.

Bretheren of the Scythe: This isn't one I particularly want to revisit, but I do want you to give it a look at least to see that's it not broken in our format, considering the mechanics it deals with.

Looking back, GameChild is a remnant of my old Counter obsession, and a completely inconsistent clusterfuck of cards with hard variations on the scale of usefulness. Across the entire first wave of them, I can think of like five cards whose designs I still like, and second-wave GameChildren aren't much better. However, if I remade them, they wouldn't be GameChildren anymore- they'd probably be that Deck that uses EXP Counters with like seven consistency cards.

Isn't the point of remaking them to make them more how you intended them? They're your vision, and unless you lose sight of it, remaking them shouldn't end up as a Deck that uses EXP Counters with like seven consistency cards. It doesn't have to be a complete all round buff (although tbf that is what I'm doing, combined with some nerfing)

Yeah, sorry for all the reading I'm giving you to do. I just enjoy making cards and working inside this format, but if you say no, I do understand.

Honestly, I've strayed a bit from some of the archetype's original prompts because either the changes were going to hinder them being good without resulting to roundabout plays or not what I wanted to do with them. Think major one was with the YCM mod project, which Zero made as a Level 10 4K beatdown theme (which you guys know got modified to a Ritual archetype themed on Nekroz). 

[Just for the record, the new additions aren't getting a member as they had to have been staff at the time the set was made. Past ones might get a support type role if they're notable enough (i.e. Striker having a short lived modship due to that image removal incident sparked by a potato)] 

=====

I'm fine with erratas if they make it clearer on how stuff actually works in newer grammar without editing the actual card; not so much for the recent ones which technically nerf stuff a fair bit. 

Granted, Konami did make them at a time where we weren't going OTK central and sheet, but it's on them to know what the hell they made and design accordingly.

Isn't the point of remaking them to make them more how you intended them? They're your vision, and unless you lose sight of it, remaking them shouldn't end up as a Deck that uses EXP Counters with like seven consistency cards. It doesn't have to be a complete all round buff (although tbf that is what I'm doing, combined with some nerfing)

That, and having them be functional in the current game (as the times you initially designed for were much different); including banlist changes, several dozen archetypes have been added (among other things).

But yeah, it's really up to you how to design it and if you're willing to take care of things. Referencing VCR's post about why CC gets little critique, you do have to know when to drop the idea if it isn't working out (though there's no rule saying you cannot remake them later). 

My biggest issue when doing designs is that I go full ham on consistency, which is why nearly every support lineup in my Legacy Support Thread has a card that solely exists to give draw, search, or spam power to archetypes that lacked it. I can't in good conscience remake GameChildren to be good, because one of the few cards I'd like to retain from the first wave due to how fun an idea it is (GameChild Slime) is kept from being an utterly disgusting RML by how utterly godawful GameChildren are at actually getting started.

[spoiler=Long, aggressive rant on an old archetype]

Like, unless your opponent is running a Deck that's stupid bricky, no one is going to give you the time to take three turns to Normal Summon 3 Slimes and put multiple EXP Transfers on board to enter a luck-based potentially infinite draw loop, and that's their only tolerable play at the moment- Ultimate Evil, their only dangerous boss, is nigh-unSummonable, Volcano Prince is a full-board Kaiju that requires you run at least 1 other GameChild that you can reliably Summon to come out, and the Mages are basically just powercrept Pikeru/Curran with tacked on revival/removal effects, respectively. That's it, there's most of the cards I actually liked from my first complete project on this site, before even the AGM went up.

funk, I'm sorry for that one. I didn't realize how much I actually hated my own work.

Anyway, I give you the go-ahead for Bounty Hunters at least, to make them function. You get one re-do.

I think u all are forgetting that "Gardna" cards werent an archetype until "Gardna Guild" was made. I say this, becuz u guys r making it seem like Im changing the playstyle of "Gardna"s, but in all actuality, all I did was GIVE them a playstyle. They were a series before (a broken one at that). Now they r a proper archetype.

Archived