[TCG] Pack Ratio Changes

" (Ghost Rares are really expensive to make, and we think everyone will be happier with getting a foil card in every pack, rather than a 1-in-288 chance at a Ghost Rare.)"

Oh funk you Tewart, you're grinding out Nekroz single cards for over $100 when the entire Nekroz deck was only $100 in OCG, then have the nerve to pull the not enough money card. 

Go funk yourself

I don't buy packs anymore anyway (too expensive when I only want specific cards, so it's more reliable and cheaper to buy singles and also means I won't get tons of useless rares and commons).

But this seems like a relatively good thing. I never really cared much for Ultimate Rares and I actually don't like Ghost Rares at all.

Well, I think it will make a bit easier for us to get the super/ultras/secrets we want. But I also think it can make we have tons of useless supers/ultras, so I'm not really sure how to feel about it...

I guess I'll have to wait for High Speed Riders to see more about it

" (Ghost Rares are really expensive to make, and we think everyone will be happier with getting a foil card in every pack, rather than a 1-in-288 chance at a Ghost Rare.)"

Oh f*** you Tewart, you're grinding out Nekroz single cards for over $100 when the entire Nekroz deck was only $100 in OCG, then have the nerve to pull the not enough money card. 

Go f*** yourself

Konami only make money on the actual boxes they sell, not on the secondary market price. They probably made a tonne off of selling those boxes.

What this does in theory however is drastically lower the secondary market to the point where it might actually be sane card prices. Well close to sane. Because a card game that doesn't give cash prices having card prices that high was stupid. 

They could always manipulate the printings so that this doesn't happen, but it's a good thing for them not to because it incetivises people to buy boxes and boosters more. 

Konami only make money on the actual boxes they sell, not on the secondary market price. They probably made a tonne off of selling those boxes.

What this does however is drastically lower the secondary market to the point where it might actually be sane card prices. Well close to sane. Because a card game that doesn't give cash prices having card prices that high was stupid. 

I just dislike the excuse that "its too expensive" when TCG version of cards go for 3 times the cost.

They're just milking money to feed trolls like Julia >_>

I just dislike the excuse that "its too expensive" when TCG version of cards go for 3 times the cost.

They're just milking money to feed trolls like Julia >_>

Of course they're trying to get money. That's what successful companies do.

But they're doing it in a way that helps the players too. With the greater ratio of foils, prices will naturally lower and become more manageable. Decks that need a lot of super or ultra rares won't be stupidly expensive, and secret rares will be much easier to get. It also promotes the buying of packs and boxes, as they will be more worth the purchase in general.

Of course they're trying to get money. That's what successful companies do.

But they're doing it in a way that helps the players too. With the greater ratio of foils, prices will naturally lower and become more manageable. Decks that need a lot of super or ultra rares won't be stupidly expensive, and secret rares will be much easier to get. It also promotes the buying of packs and boxes, as they will be more worth the purchase in general.

If they really cared about you, they would stop short printing cards. Don't  be Chicken advocating for Colonel Sanders, it's unbecoming 

If they really cared about you, they would stop short printing cards. Don't  be Chicken advocating for Colonel Sanders, it's unbecoming 

Do you always have to respond to arguments with fairly random, only slightly on point statements? Because it really doesn't fuel discussion. 

Yes, short printing is a bad thing for them to do. But on the other hand, this is objectively a good thing. Yes, they could probably do more, but this is in and off itself an improvement unless you really care about Ghost Rares. 

If Tewart was really worried about your pocket, there is a lot more he could do for you.

He's playing y'all and you're eating it out of his hand

Chicken

Colonel Sanders=Old Dude on KFC logo

That aside, if this is good enough for you guys, don't let me dampen your spirits

what does any of this have to do with this change being a good thing for the players

This confirms that HSPR will have a HUGE number of reprints. Since they're using this pack configuration for the set, that means the set will have regular set size, which means 80 or so cards (if it's like a given tcg main set, closer to 100). The booster sp is itself only 45 cards, 44 if you drop the ocg reprints and add in the tcg ones currently confirmed. That means anywhere from 35 to 50 cards can be in HSPR

Scratch that, article says that it's a 60 card set. Still, that's like 15 reprints, not bad in the overall scheme.

Still would've liked to have it hidden arsenal style though.

Hopefully this change does make things a bit easier on people's wallets when they make their Decks.

Although I expect that a few of them will still be a pain in the ass to build IRL, even with the pack changes.

(This probably explains why I had an Archfiend Skull Dragon from that CORE pack I bought last month; that, and a random Super and stuff in others this generation)

----

As for the loss of Ghost and Ultimate Rares, personally I don't mind it much.

Never really bothered with the latter.

Then again, I only buy 1-2 packs per set anyway due to budget; hopefully this does make it worth the $3-4/pack I end up spending on them, but we'll see how things turn out in January.

So they finally pulled a Pokemon with the set raitos and did what I said they should do basically

Hopefully this  isn't as ridiculously expensive as Pokemon, though. *Thinks about 7$ Uncommons (Equivalent of rares)* *Shudders*

We've had our fair share of those too.

If this helps with the whole Booster weighing problem then this can only be a good thing.

Yeah damn this is very true.

Not sure how I feel about this - I think it's just going to make supers into glorified rares and increase the quantity of worthless holos which is always a pain because it's so much harder to bring yourself to throw away a worthless holo. I like the fact that it'll decrease the very high-end prices, but I'm not sure putting a foil in EVERY pack is the right way to go about it. I'll also miss the Ultis, but in fairness there've been so few relevant pack ultis lately that just sticking with Astral Pack ultis should be ok, and at least it gives rarity whores a better chance to get some really impressive-looking cards.

I don't mind they're removing Ghosts tbqh. As the foils in every pack thing, I'm not sure what to think. In my opinion I hope this makes Konami think about what they make holo to minimise the risk of pulling worthless holos.

As for Ultis, I'm fine with them being tournament pack-only rarity tbph.

All in all I like that they're doing this as pack weighing has been a bit of an issue.

R.I.P. ghost rares, my favorite rarity, but if it means that we can more easily access the cards we want, then i have no issue seeing them off. But i don't think that'll be the end of them just yet, the way it was stated in the article, tewart seems to be planning something for them anyways. my hunch is that they'll be relocated to some other area, like the hidden arsenal boosters.

I don't enter tournaments that often, so relocating ultimate rares to astral packs won't help me much, bu i don't mind all that much since i care more about cards than rarity when building decks. overall though, pretty sure this was a step in the right direction for konami.

Archived