US Trump Administration Discussion Thread

cr47t

I rarely deal in absolutes Roxas. Obviously it shouldn't be completely cut out. But STEEM occupations are in higher demand. The person who found the C02 to Ethanol mechanism was a chem major. She may have just saved millions of jobs.

Can a creative writer do the same. What I would do is offer more favorable financials for STEEM majors.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

roxas, I get the do what you love angle, but you do realize there are more secure occupations right? Very few JK Rowlings happen :/

*its less like to have a future

Maybe in the area of novel writing, but that's not all you can do with a creative writing major. There are more secure positions in television or even the movie industry, places you can teach, etc. Frick, it's still very possible to get poetry published. And even if I don't go into a field that directly involves me creative writing, I'm still getting a BA with an English Major which has a lot of other uses regardless.

As for the art history, or simply just say the arts; there's always going to be some kind of opening in the cultures department. Even with visual arts, you can become an illustrator or, if you want to go in this direction and take those classes, an animator. Arts isn't something that will be properly automatized for a very long time, if ever, and while it's a field that doesn't really guarantee a job, it's been that way for some time and for the most part the people that go into these degrees know this, but they still want to pursue something they're passionate about. Obviously that won't work out for everyone (as is with any degree), but you don't need to be JK Rowling to make your creative degree into a full-time job.

Okay, so you're not cutting the funding altogether. Just taking the funding for creative writing and handing it over to STEM. I understand that STEM majors are in higher demand, but supporting them shouldn't be to the detriment of creative writing.

Not quite, I'd offer lower interest loans and longer pay-back times for STEM + Economics

Because for example, I'm gonna be in some form of non-work for the next 12 years, when most people can go to work right after their BA, higher risk, more incentive

After 400 years of slavery, you finally get what that's like.  Sucks doesn't it?

I'm asian man, they just expect me to do math problems fast

That's frankly about as likely (if not far less so) as making a beloved and multi-million dollar franchise.

Like sure, one has more tangible benefit, but in terms of cost-benefit analysis it's really about the same, if not skewed in favor of the creative writing major.

please elaborate

esp on sentence 1

It seems significantly more likely to make a JK Rowling-level success than it is to save millions of jobs through a scientific breakthrough in this day and age, is what I mean.

They give nobel prizes every year, can't think of the last book series that came with as much pull as HP, but pt taken

Trump shrewdly tryna tap 2 current Dem Senators for his cabinate, would offset the two loses GOP had this senate cycle

Crafty 

@realDonaldTrump

"Masa (SoftBank) of Japan has agreed to invest $50 billion in the U.S. toward businesses and 50,000 new jobs"

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/carrier-deal-voter-poll-232224

People love the Carriar deal he made, even a third of HRC supporters say they approve of him for it now

It now looks quite possible Clinton will end up w/ more votes than Obama 65.9 million in '12. Now ~400k behind

Trump passed old GOP record set by GWB about a week ago, highly unlikely HRC will cross Obama 08, or Trump will cross Obama 12'

But we'll see

I'm skeptical of the Carrier deal because it gives off the impression that companies will be able to hold American jobs hostage for tax breaks.

Trump's campaign rhetoric was punitive but the Carrier deal was anything but.

I explained why this was false before. Pence and co tried to give them more than 7M to get them to stay. They said no. Trump threatened to leave the parent company, which has MANY denfense contracts, in the rain by cutting projects

Carriar Caved.

He also maintained the 35% tariff threat

Also 7M over 10 years for 1000 jobs is a pretty good deal

That's pretty cool then. I just hope other companies don't try the hostage angle.

Actually I kinda do because I want to see how Trump deals with it.

Mobile deal today just brought in 50k new jobs and 50 BUSD

The big thing is when Trump gives that one time-taxfree bring in. All the companies like Apple will be able to bring in Trillion of dollars

that have been economical impounded currently

Not quite, I'd offer lower interest loans and longer pay-back times for STEM + Economics

Because for example, I'm gonna be in some form of non-work for the next 12 years, when most people can go to work right after their BA, higher risk, more incentive

And how does supporting creative writing majors fit into your plan, if at all?

And how does supporting creative writing majors fit into your plan, if at all?

Higher loan rates? Ideally it would bottleneck people into the field only if they're serious 

That's pretty cool then. I just hope other companies don't try the hostage angle.

Actually I kinda do because I want to see how Trump deals with it.

I'm skeptical of the Carrier deal because it gives off the impression that companies will be able to hold American jobs hostage for tax breaks.

Trump's campaign rhetoric was punitive but the Carrier deal was anything but.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/business/economy/trump-carrier-pence-jobs.html

proof ^_^

This is called a political re-alignment

57% of Republicans think free markets hurt us.
78% think gov should bribe companies.
75% think gov should threaten companies.

CzB1PRYUQAA7OGX.jpg

CzB1QNaUsAAQh72.jpg

This is called a political re-alignmen

More Results

Colorado certifies its results: Clinton 1,338,870 (48.2%), Trump 1,202,484 (43.3%), Others 238,866 (8.6%).

New Jersey certifies its results: Clinton 2,148,278 (55.5%), Trump 1,601,933 (41.4%), Others 123,835 (3.2%).

CzBvsOkWgAAHE9Q.jpg

First time Orange County CA has ever gone red...this is just embarrassing stuff

Much like Northern Virginia, the GOP Rep there won though

Why do you trust those polls and not the ones that say a majority of America wants a single payer system?

Hell that poll also supports my assertion that a majority of America (including Republicans, apparently) wants progressive policies, even if only tangentially.

Because single payer didn't pass the ballot initiative in Colorado

Results speak

Republicans are /more/ progressive than Democrats according to that poll lol

533px-Virginia_Presidential_Election_Res

vs

343px-Virginia_presidential_election_res

Stronger showing in SOVA for Trump, he pulled Republicans out of the woodworks

But the NOVA crown was too strong for him to deal with

"I really like him as a person," Trump said of Obama, adding that he has run some of his cabinet picks past him. "I love getting his ideas."

CzE4RbyXUAE4byk.jpg

When it was Obama, he was just president, when it's Trump, he's president of the "divided states of America."

CzE4ST_XcAAWcga.jpg

Personally think Assange or Farage deserved it more

Because single payer didn't pass the ballot initiative in Colorado

Results speak

Except you're entirely ignoring the nuances (like you always do) as to why those ballot initiatives failed. Them failing isn't enough- advertisement and marketing could've made the decision seem a lot foggier to many voters than it really was.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/retired-marine-gen-john-f-kelly-picked-to-head-department-of-homeland-security/2016/12/07/165472f2-bbe6-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html

If anyone's been paying attention, Trump's been appointing a LOT of generals. I feel worried about this because this may cause the possibility for another Iraq to happen, or (god forbid) a WW3. (i might be oversimplifying it though)

Except you're entirely ignoring the nuances (like you always do) as to why those ballot initiatives failed. Them failing isn't enough- advertisement and marketing could've made the decision seem a lot foggier to many voters than it really was.

So what proof do you have that the people do want it? Cause neither polls nor results are on your side

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/retired-marine-gen-john-f-kelly-picked-to-head-department-of-homeland-security/2016/12/07/165472f2-bbe6-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.htmlIf anyone's been paying attention, Trump's been appointing a LOT of generals. I feel worried about this because this may cause the possibility for another Iraq to happen, or (god forbid) a WW3. (i might be oversimplifying it though)

Or...appointing a general as DHS would show that Trump's major concern is terrorism not immigration. Validated by trump saying he would support dreamers

Or we could go with the all Trump's moves are crazy and dangerous ploy

There was once a time you and brightflae attacked him for his stance on generals when he said he knew better than him....so which is it

So what proof do you have that the people do want it? Cause neither polls nor results are on your side

Jessie's statement technically can't be proven, but it also can't be disproven here if we are operating under the basis that the polls are distorted due to distortion of the facts. It's a really weak argument on my part, but if we are just arbitralily dismissing polls then it can go both ways.

And even then that wouldn't technically mean that Single Payer shouldn't happen in the US; because it's represntitive democracy, not direct democracy which means officials are entitled to make decisions that there contituents disagree with if they feel it is in there own interests.

So the argument then becomes 'Is a single payer system viable in the US?' and 'Is it better than the existing healthcare system', and the answers are probably yes to both if you look across to the the numerous examples of single payer systems working within Europe say. There's more than enough evidence to show that Single Pater healthcare systems do in fact work. And we have numerical evidence of average expenditure person person per capita to show that it is, if nothing else, cheaper.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/07/trump-plan-for-dreamers/95084408/

Trump willing to compromise on the Dreamers (illegals brought here as children). If he's smart he'll hedge that with some concessions on the wall (which he renewed support for) or his other projects. 

The polls I showed you did in fact support my view.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2016/11/09/colorado-rejects-single-payer-healthcare-insurance/#56e5ddab6296

Sure, but an 80-20 defeat cannot be attributed so casually to just misinformation. People don't like it Jesse, and it's not hard to understand why if we step out of the far left

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/07/us-steel-wants-to-accelerate-investments-bring-back-jobs-ceo-says.html

US steel wants to return to the US in anticipation of Trump's infrastructure plans.They think Trump will spend tons on infrastructure and raise tariffs against the Chinese.

Question for the day, is Socialized medicine a far left economic or social proposal (or both)?

Super Cool anti-Abortion bill was passed today, but made a separate topic about it. Trump is emboldening justice everywhere ^_^

Bone I've been wanting to pick with fact-checkers

Take for example the time Trump's line that "Hillary wants to have open borders" was rated "mostly false": normally I would call that an exaggeration: HRC moved closer to open borders than any Dem nominee before her, but wasn't all the way there. But at that moment HILLARY HAD LITERALLY JUST HAD A PRIVATE SPEECH LEAKED WHERE SHE SAID SHE FAVORED OPEN BORDERS!!!!!

Hillary's speech: "I dream of open borders." Trump: "She wants open borders." Politifact: "He's lying."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-08/student-debtors-this-trump-ally-wants-to-be-your-friend

New Student Debt plan...building that Trump coalition up 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/trump-bull-market-bounty-tops-1-trillion-as-bear-cases-go-quiet

Markets are soaring

Archived