US Trump Administration Discussion Thread

cr47t

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The victory speech was good, I'll give him that. He proved he's actually capable of sounding reasonably presidential. Hopefully, he keeps that attitude up and defies my expectations. I'm still expecting pretty bad things to come from this administration, but all we can do now is cross our fingers, get mad when we need to, and strap in for President Trump's Wild Ride.

I went into this election so worried about Trump. But once it happened...Idk I felt a lot more calm and optimistic. At the very least I don't think it's gonna be the worst thing ever. Hopefully he sticks to the path he took with that speech yes.
Even if Moose made his opinion clear by making me take him outside as soon as Trump started speaking.

There's obviously gonna be a rough patch which, I think, will really show how Trump will be as president. How he reacts to the "outrage" is gonna be key to shaping the future of his administration.

It's interesting that, from what I had seen, a lot of people disagree with some of Trump's key policies but still voted him because they wanted change. Which fascinates me.

I also think that's why many Obama voters went Trump. Promise of change.
However if Trump doesn't pull through with those promises then I think he'll get even more flack. If the polls saying that many people disagree with him but want change is true.

Because, while Obama didn't do all the changes he promised, the people voting from him also agreed with more of his ideas.

Basically what I'm saying is Trump was given a chance. He damn well better prove it was worth it.

And to wrap this up one last thing.

*deep breath* Congratulations, President Trump.

I hope Trump doesn't get impeached and removed or die. The only real solace I take in this is that we didn't elect f***ing Ted Cruz.

But Pence is literally f***ing Ted Cruz.

Trump espoused blatantly progressive and democratic policies until it was time for him to get elected, and his victory speech contained a mirror image of many of the important parts of the New Deal and he got cheered for it.

People like Pence literally want (or pander to people who want) a Christian Iran.

At least, with Trump, there's hope.

Trump is better about LGBT than people think. Pence isn't, but Trump is. If you hate Trump and are LGBT you would rather keep him alive than removed because Pence is the one who would challenge LGBT rights. But, anyway, Trump himself is even progressive in the matter of what bathroom transsexuals should use.

People are protesting outside Trump Tower when they should be rioting at DNC HQ for giving America an excuse to vote for him.

Gotta love how Hillary prepared a glass ceiling, only to fail again.

I feel bad for those women, though, mainly for wanting a white traitor for a first female president.

On other note, there are calls for Michelle Obama to run in 2020.

But let's be positive! The Daily Show finally has material to work with for the first time in 8 years!

I also think that's why many Obama voters went Trump. Promise of change.

Like Obamacare premiums skyrocketing next year.

Thanks Barack.

I tried to find a reaction meme for this but all I can say is

That's pretty retarded.

edit: Half true. He at one point supported conversion but not via electrocution.

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/

Eh. In either case he's got a pretty godawful track record with lgbt rights and quite frankly looks like a james bond villain.

While I didn't vote Trump due to his rhetoric leading up to the election (which I did find rather disgusting, even though there was some fact to his statements), as I mentioned in the other thread, I am willing to give him a chance at leading the country if he can truly act like a proper candidate. Hopefully he can learn on the job and become the President that he says that he will be, and get the country back together without throwing us into more chaos than we need to. 

Just hopefully Pence does the same, and doesn't tear this country apart. 

[spoiler=Things to consider from Hawai'i standpoint]

I just ask that he not undo any legislation that Obama did for Hawai'i. If I haven't said this before, we are not the mainland and the majority of our population are non-whites [generally Asian and Pacific Islander, but we have other races]. There are some people here who are worried about some of his policies like immigration, given this fact (and yes, we do get a fair bit of immigration every year*). Does his policies extend only to securing the US-Mexico border, or the entirety of this country?

Trump's presidency might do something beneficial for us (speaking of the state in general), but we'll have to see how it pans out in the future.

He just needs to remember that we have things that differ from the rest of the country, such as more endemic species, the marine monument at the NW end of the state, the aforementioned racial composition and so forth*. 

------

* mostly from (south)/eastern Asia and the Pacific Islands, and generally people bringing their families over.

** would also mention the sovereignty movements, but people are encouraging its end, since breaking from the US does us no good. 

------

I'm not trying to say that Hawai'i is more special than the rest of the country (each of the states has their own needs), but from a local standpoint, there is some concern about a Trump presidency here. I know he had an interview with the news station here a couple months back, but I do not recall what he said.

(To be honest, only him and Rubio even said anything about the islands; Cruz didn't even bother)

we have a republican elect coming to the office, and (unless i'm mistaken) republican majority in all forms. i don't believe he's gonna do everything he promised, and i believe anything truly drastic will be reigned back before it hits the parliament, but other than that, he could not have been elected into any better position. there are few, if any excuses for failure. we will see what he's got unrestrained, and if it's bad, then he's gone. so there's that. on the other note, i'm fully expecting him to be a decent president. he's not so nuts as to throw us off a cliff, regardless of what most news sources would have us believe. we might even achieve peace/ cooperation with russia and give japan back millitary independence. 

what would truly be the best troll move imo, would be if he just broke america, and rebuilt it better from the pieces. that, i would love to see pulled off(don't think he can or will, but it would be something to see). also, even with voter fraud, the man's now gonna head into office. he's got 4 years. if these years end with no change. he might as well nail himself into the coffin.

let's see if he can make america great.

on another note though, I went third party, and you all know my thoughts on that much, but there's something i've seen a lot today: third party blame. people have been blaming third party voters as if all third party voters would have magically chosen hillary, or claiming there was a wasted vote. to say nothing of the campaign against him now, on sites like twitter. the dude won, and as such, it's not wrong to accept the fact.

Well, I've calmed down a bit since the other night.

While I am upset that our next president is the textbook definition of that noise you make when you strum your finger up and down over your lips, I'll accept it nonetheless and hope that some good can come out of a Trump presidency. Fatally optimistic maybe, but it won't do any good to jabroni about losing for four years. The worst thing would be to enter the new term with a resigned attitude; we'll have already lost. We have to roll with the setbacks and make the best of things.

That said, at least half the country did not want him and for good reasons. He needs to earn the trust of the minorities, women, and other groups that feel unsafe from the sheet he's been spewing for the past year. If he tries to do anything wrong, we have to make our voices heard and do anything in our power to keep him in line. Also being politically active, I feel like a lot of people will now be more motivated to engage in the political process constantly rather than just voting every four years.

But most importantly, funk the electoral college. Hillary won the popular vote and should have been our president from that. Last time we had someone win the electoral vote but lose the popular vote, things went to sheet. It makes no sense for us to rely on Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and a handful of other states every time. The current system invalidates any blue supporters living in the middle of the country and any red voters living on the coasts. I hope to god it's abolished in our lifetime.

She won by x amount before counting how many red votes were cheated into blue ones. It's impossible to say either won the popular vote.

Care to elaborate on how red votes were cheated?

Either way, even if she didn't win the popular vote, the electoral college is a majorly flawed system that I generally see little benefit to keeping.

I think the best possible scenario would be that Trump accomplishes great things but the Republican party as a whole completely shits the bed.

aka pretty much what happened during the Obama administration except with a fake-Republican at the head.

Mind elaborating?  I wasn't aware he was that bad.

He's pretty much the poster child of the religious right. He's a caricature of everything they stand for.

If you don't know what that means, I have to ask, have you been paying attention to the narrative the religious/evangelical right try to peddle? It's absolutely disgusting.

I think the best possible scenario would be that Trump accomplishes great things but the Republican party as a whole completely shits the bed.

aka pretty much what happened during the Obama administration except with a fake-Republican at the head.

He's pretty much the poster child of the religious right. He's a caricature of everything they stand for.

If you don't know what that means, I have to ask, have you been paying attention to the narrative the religious/evangelical right try to peddle? It's absolutely disgusting.

Well, as a fairly conservative (hesitate to use the term) religious person, I have been really off-put by how much evangelicals have been dickriding Trump.  The justification of a lot of the things he's said is kinda ridiculous, 

Archived