US Trump Administration Discussion Thread

cr47t

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw someone float Gen Flynn as a possible Sec. of Def. -- anyone got thoughts on that?

Excellent, as someone who has Russian ancestry, and is a proud american, having my two countries grow closer would make me so happy

He needs to get a waiver though, since there is a cool off period that you need between leaving the Military and becoming Sec Def. But it's easy paper work.

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/53255

Телефонный разговор с избранным президентом Соединённых Штатов Америки Дональдом Трампом

По взаимной договорённости состоялся телефонный разговор Владимира Путина с избранным президентом Соединённых Штатов Америки Дональдом Трампом.

Российский лидер ещё раз поздравил собеседника с победой на президентских выборах, пожелал ему успехов в реализации предвыборной программы и отметил готовность выстраивать партнёрский диалог с новой администрацией на принципах равноправия, взаимного уважения и невмешательства во внутренние дела друг друга.

В ходе разговора В.Путин и Д.Трамп не только сошлись в оценке нынешнего крайне неудовлетворительного состояния российско-американских отношений, но и высказались в пользу активной совместной работы по их нормализации и выведению в русло конструктивного взаимодействия по самому широкому кругу вопросов. Подчёркнута, в частности, важность создания надёжной основы двусторонних связей путём развития их торгово-экономического компонента.

Отмечено, что в следующем году исполняется 210 лет со дня установления дипломатических отношений между Россией и США, что само по себе должно стимулировать возвращение к прагматичному, взаимовыгодному сотрудничеству, которое отвечало бы интересам двух стран, стабильности и безопасности во всём мире.

В.Путин и Д.Трамп разделили мнение о необходимости объединения усилий в борьбе с общим врагом номер один – международным терроризмом и экстремизмом. В данном ключе обсуждались и вопросы урегулирования кризиса в Сирии.

Условлено продолжить контакты по телефону и в перспективе предусмотреть личную встречу, подготовкой которой займутся представители обеих сторон.

My Russian is meh,

but

Putin congratulated Trump, Kremlin says in statement. Both recognized “unsatisfatory” level of current U.S.-Russia relations.

Putin and Trump agreed bilateral ties, trade important for relationship, Kremlin says. Agreed it’s necessary to fight terrorism jointly.

I have issues with his space program but since it's suppose go all the way to the end of this century who knows. That being said, stuff like mining minerals from the asteroid belt is so impracticable on so many levels. Time it takes to get to said asteroid belt, then because of the time sink you'd need to be able to take alot of minerals which means bigger ships to carry them which it'll cost even more and take longer to build. Honestly the more I think about it the more it sounds like fluff.

Sticking to Mars and terraforming it is a better and more practical space project.

Asteroid mining, actually, is not only more practical and possible than terraforming Mars, it has actually been planned to happen since early as 2009. One company in particular, Planetary Resources, is already working at establishing unmanned mining operations on Near-Earth Asteroids. Now, when we say "Asteroid Mining", keep in mind that the belt that separates the large gas giant planets from our smaller terrestrial ones aren't the only asteroids in the system, and there are thousands of asteroids currently orbiting Earth; at least 1500 of which are as easy to reach as the moon. The plan isn't even larger ships, since many asteroids have ice and water in them, the idea is to mine that ice in space and convert that water into hydrogen/oxygen in space. Rocket fuel. Getting these resources from space to earth is a lot easier than getting that mass from earth to space; and that project has been running pretty smooth since its conception. It's a very smart idea, and should work out well.

Now, terraforming a planet is still technology that's far out of our leagues considering how much is needed to make a planet habitable for humans. It's not quite as simple as just making a breathable atmosphere, which is already a gigantic undertaking in itself. As well, it's also not practical to live on Mars either. Considering the drastically lower gravity on Mars, humans would suffer big problems with bone degeneration. For short stays on Mars, this is easy to work around; but for having entire cities and permanent residents to grow; this becomes a huge issue.

On the flip side, it's far easier to place humans on, or at least floating the atmosphere of, Venus. It's not a proper colony because we're not landing on the surface, but there's a lot of factors, gravity included, that makes having communities Cloud-City-style on Venus a lot easier and more convenient than Mars by a huge margin.

For more about asteroid mining: http://www.planetaryresources.com/#home-intro

For why Venus is easier to colonize than Mars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag

Asteroid mining, actually, is not only more practical and possible than terraforming Mars, it has actually been planned to happen since early as 2009. One company in particular, Planetary Resources, is already working at establishing unmanned mining operations on Near-Earth Asteroids. Now, when we say "Asteroid Mining", keep in mind that the belt that separates the large gas giant planets from our smaller terrestrial ones aren't the only asteroids in the system, and there are thousands of asteroids currently orbiting Earth; at least 1500 of which are as easy to reach as the moon. The plan isn't even larger ships, since many asteroids have ice and water in them, the idea is to mine that ice in space and convert that water into hydrogen/oxygen in space. Rocket fuel. Getting these resources from space to earth is a lot easier than getting that mass from earth to space; and that project has been running pretty smooth since its conception. It's a very smart idea, and should work out well.

Now, terraforming a planet is still technology that's far out of our leagues considering how much is needed to make a planet habitable for humans. It's not quite as simple as just making a breathable atmosphere, which is already a gigantic undertaking in itself. As well, it's also not practical to live on Mars either. Considering the drastically lower gravity on Mars, humans would suffer big problems with bone degeneration. For short stays on Mars, this is easy to work around; but for having entire cities and permanent residents to grow; this becomes a huge issue.

On the flip side, it's far easier to place humans on, or at least floating the atmosphere of, Venus. It's not a proper colony because we're not landing on the surface, but there's a lot of factors, gravity included, that makes having communities Cloud-City-style on Venus a lot easier and more convenient than Mars by a huge margin.

For why Venus is easier to colonize than Mars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag

Move CO2 from Venus to Mars and get both :3

It really isn't. I'll give credit on using the material orbiting Earth and using it for fuel but Venus terraforming no, just no. I can explain very simply why it isn't ideal for terraforming. First being closer to the sun makes it hotter then it is on earth by a fair bit. Two it's atmospheric pressure is 92x compared to earths. So while it does have similar gravity & is closer the reasons i'v provided are enough to prevent it from being an option to terraforming.

Even then, this isn't Trumps plan.

It really isn't. I'll give credit on using the material orbiting Earth and using it for fuel but Venus terraforming no, just no. I can explain very simply why it isn't ideal for terraforming. First being closer to the sun makes it hotter then it is on earth by a fair bit. Two it's atmospheric pressure is 92x compared to earths. So while it does have similar gravity & is closer the reasons i'v provided are enough to prevent it from being an option to terraforming.

Even then, this isn't Trumps plan.

You're not terraforming Venus; please actually watch the video to understand what I'm saying before you make any statements against what I said. Also, as I said, terraforming is technology way outside out of our grasp and already practically impossible in the near future.

You're not terraforming Venus; please actually watch the video to understand what I'm saying before you make any statements against what I said. Also, as I said, terraforming is technology way outside out of our grasp and already practically impossible in the near future.

I didn't have to watch it(I did though to see the points). Cause I already knew the issues regarding Venus in the back of my head(though I did need to refresh my memory). Not to mention the "plan" to colonize Venus in the video is shoddy(in my opinion). Sure the tech is being conceptiolized but there's no telling how practical it'll be. But near future, yes it's not possible for either planet to be terraformed. Mar's is just the better choice though even with the costs.

I didn't have to watch it(I did though to see the points). Cause I already knew the issues regarding Venus in the back of my head(though I did need to refresh my memory). Not to mention the "plan" to colonize Venus in the video is shoddy(in my opinion). Sure the tech is being conceptiolized but there's no telling how practical it'll be. But near future, yes it's not possible for either planet to be terraformed. Mar's is just the better choice though even with the costs.

Mars would kill due to the gravity difference. It's not good for your bones

A cloud city in Venus is a really good idea of we find a way to convert CO2 into O2 and NT's

Praying with all my heart that he won't choose Bolton as Sec State

Mars would kill due to the gravity difference. It's not good for your bones

A cloud city in Venus is a really good idea of we find a way to convert CO2 into O2 and NT's

Just cause it sounds like a good idea doesn't make it into one. There's still the issue of heat and pressure. Along with the fact that if the balloons ever popped boom your dead.

I mean if your going to be suspended between two layers of an atmosphere where your sure to die if something goes wrong you might as well go instead with the Orbital Ring method. Though this would work better on Mars then Venus. Since we can actually land on Mars.

Maybe I'm being a bit overly cynical but just thinking about all the issues with terraforming Venus is a headache.

Just cause it sounds like a good idea doesn't make it into one. There's still the issue of heat and pressure. Along with the fact that if the balloons ever popped boom your dead.

I mean if your going to be suspended between two layers of an atmosphere where your sure to die if something goes wrong you might as well go instead with the Orbital Ring method. Though this would work better on Mars then Venus. Since we can actually land on Mars.

Maybe I'm being a bit overly cynical but just thinking about all the issues with terraforming Venus is a headache.

You'd be slowly cooling down the temp of venus

Since CO2 would be made into O2 and carbon which would then be made into carbon nanotubes which is building material 

This is off-topic, but since it's obvious you didn't watch the video I will say: If you do not have the intent to look at what someone is saying, maybe don't post in debates.

THAT SAID, where the balloons would be floating, the atmospheric pressure on Venus (~50 km above the surface) is about the same as Earth's and the temperature is only 70 degrees celsius. Considering we have suits for fire-fighters that withstand up to 2000; yeah, we can handle this. Neither heat nor pressure at these heights are issues.

And again, stop thinking about technology that will not be feasible for a long, long time. And again, please be willing to actually look into what people are saying in these threads before you just post your blind speculation without listening.

This is off-topic, but since it's obvious you didn't watch the video I will say: If you do not have the intent to look at what someone is saying, maybe don't post in debates.

THAT SAID, where the balloons would be floating, the atmospheric pressure on Venus (~50 km above the surface) is about the same as Earth's and the temperature is only 70 degrees celsius. Considering we have suits for fire-fighters that withstand up to 2000; yeah, we can handle this. Neither heat nor pressure at these heights are issues.

And again, stop thinking about technology that will not be feasible for a long, long time. And again, please be willing to actually look into what people are saying in these threads before you just post your blind speculation without listening.

I did watch it, again if the balloons pop GG. Doesn't matter where they'r floating. That's just fact. If it wasn't there wouldn't be need for the balloons in the first place. And if you actually read my comment I even mention the suspension between atmosphere layers.

And I'll think and speak about theoretical science and the overall practicality of such if I want. It's part of the whole process in which such technologies eventually come to be. Be it 5 years or even 100 years from now.

"Bolton is the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, but served less than two years, as Democrats banded together to block his long-term appointment."

"If confirmed as Trump’s top diplomat, Bolton would be reporting to a commander-in-chief who appears to espouse a worldview that is diametrically opposed to his own. Bolton has repeatedly slammed President Barack Obama for his willingness to engage in limited cooperation with Russia in Syria and Iran."

​Be scared, be VERY scared, he will make HRC look like a pacifist, it's apparently between him and Rudy atm, y'all better pray

And go to Transition2017 and tell the admin that we don't want a bloodthirsty NeoCon as SecState

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rudy-giuliani-john-bolton-are-leading-candidates-for-next-secretary-of-state-1479156004

An establishment Republican who is pro late-term abortion?

I'd think you'd be furious.

Sec state isn't going around performing abortions. Trump was pro-choice once too. And an insider once.

I want stunning a relationship with Russia from my sec state and Rudy does that, while Bolton jokes about blowing Russian planes out of the air

There's also the fact that Trump might select a war criminal to lead the CIA.

What's wrong with Jose Rodriguez

Edit:

IBM CEO Ginni Rometty's Letter to the U.S. President-Elect

http://www.ibmpolicy.com/ginni_romettys_letter_to_the_president_elect

Edit:

NASA

“I will free NASA from the restriction of serving primarily as a logistical agency for low-Earth-orbit activities,” Trump told a Florida rally in October. “We will instead refocus on space exploration. Under a Trump administration, Florida and America will lead the way into the stars.”

Some of Trump's staff have also echoed his comments about exploring space.

“Space is the frontier on which American aspiration can become humankind’s inspiration,” two Trump advisers, former congressman Robert Walker and University of California at Irvine economics professor Peter Navarro, wrote in a Spacenews.com op-ed in October. “The destiny of a free people lies in the stars. Donald Trump agrees.”

“Human exploration of our entire solar system by the end of this century should be NASA’s focus and goal,” Walker and Navarro added.

So you want someone who, by your own standards, supports murder, as Secretary of State.

Alright.

Also Jose did a lot of horrible things, such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_CIA_interrogation_tapes_destruction

https://www.hrw.org/report/2015/12/01/no-more-excuses/roadmap-justice-cia-torture

No, I'll be very disappointing if that's still Rudy's position.

Trump at one point was pro-choice too, he changed, from what I gather, so has Rudy. 

Well...you know I'm a supporter of EIT if they're needed right

Top pick for Sec State was Newt, but I dunno what's going on with the campaign atm, I've heard everything from Cruz to SCOTUS from Cotton to sec Def

As one insider discribed it, "it's a f***ing knife fight" [for Trump's ear]

I do like Bannon and Reince tho

Current State of votes

Changes from 2012

+5% w/ Men
-1% w/ Women

Race

+1% w/ W
+7% w AA
+8% w/ Hispanics

+5% 18-29
-4% 65+

Income

Below 30k +16%
100-200k -9%
200+ 0%

Edit #2

-3% with 45-65 as well

That offset any gains he made with Millennials 

I thought we talked about sources like Huffpo cr4

Not sure whether Trump is merely making a devil's advocate argument for the EC or actually changed his mind as soon as he won.

Nah, he still says it should be gone

He just said he would have campaigned differently if it wasn't there

I thought we talked about sources like Huffpo cr4

Crap, I think we did... [damage control systems activated]

I just mainly use Huffpo because I have easy access to it, some news sites will require money to use after reading X amount of articles. I have not ran into such problems with Huffpo, and as a result I keep using their news, despite them not being my absolute favorite news outlet - and while it is notoriously left, at least it's real news with real reporting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intelligence-expert-mike-rogers-leaves-trump-transition-team-amid-shake-up-1479221847

Donald Trump’s Transition Team Reshaped Vice President-elect Mike Pence drops lobbyists; former Intelligence panel head Mike Rogers ousted

Sen. Ted Cruz private meeting with President-Elect Trump, after GOP senator endorses TC for SCOTUS

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/798713868428120068?lang=en

Bloomburg reporter on the other hand says AG, SCOTUS for Cruz might involve Turtle Face growing a pair and going nuclear 

Archived