[Written] 5-Minute Crafts

TheBlackCatter

Hello all, welcome to 5-Minute Crafts! Originally I made this thread to keep myself creative even when I didn't have a lot of time to craft bigger archetypes. However, as time went on, I felt that this should include more people beyond myself (that's why this intro has changed). There are many purposes to creating a card in a short period of time, but the number one reason is to just throw out there the wild ideas that you just can't seem to get out of your head. Here, you can just throw an idea out there and if you like it then you can build on it. We also are open to commenters who want to throw in two bits on balance. There are a few basic rules on posting:

1) The card is built up with some sort of balance (i.e. no "I win" or invulnerable cards);

2) The card is made in one sitting that lasts about 5-minutes; and

3) If you want your card to be ridiculed or commented on, label it as "open" somewhere in your post.

4) Comments complimenting or critiquing a card will only be pointed towards cards listed as "open".

As you can see from the first 7 pages on this thread, I posted a lot of card ideas (some connecting to each other, and some just out of a clear blue sky). I post daily as that is my creative style, but none of you have to. You are welcome to use any of my cards from here in any form so long as you mention me as the inspiration/source (however, I won't go hunting down people who don't do as such. it's just a request as a nicety). If you want to use another person's card(s), I request you ask them first.

Hope you all enjoy at least something about this thread! ;3

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Rayfield Lumina A little holiday cheer even monsters enjoy:

Holiday Spirit (open)

[Continuous Spell]

All non-Dark attribute monsters cannot declare an attack as long as this card is on the field. If a Dark attribute monster declares an attack, it is directed to the monster with the highest ATK. For every Light attribute monster on the field, each player gains 200 Life Points on their respective stand-by phase.

I have to say, I'm not that surprised that your first card in this series is a DARK support, you evil cat of impenetrable blackness xD. You said that you won't dwell too much on grammar/balance etc. and you want it to come freely, but I wonder if you'd like if I throw in some assistance in the comments? I'm not too good, but at least I can help a little in the grammar n.n

Thanks, I'll add your points. Let me tell you that Phase 2 was resolved extremely easy, as the participants managed to get the answers first try xD. I'm making a second round of Phase 2,  so I'll give you a call so you use the hint you gained here on the new puzzles, ok? See ya!

On 12/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

I have to say, I'm not that surprised that your first card in this series is a DARK support, you evil cat of impenetrable blackness xD.

It's more of a field lock-down where it forces players that use Dark monsters to only get very high ATK ones (unless you destroy the spell of course). It's a sure fire way to either lock-down what your opponent has for a turn or two, or to combo with other very useful Dark/Light monster cards that would interact very well with it.

On 12/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

You said that you won't dwell too much on grammar/balance etc. and you want it to come freely, but I wonder if you'd like if I throw in some assistance in the comments? I'm not too good, but at least I can help a little in the grammar

I mean I said my cards were open to "ridicule, comments, or compliments". If you want to give advice I wouldn't complain. In fact, I would incorporate any advice on a card I was recreating as I am but a lowly cat with a simple mind for the game mechanics.

Without further ado... another festive card gets splurged out!

Santa Claus (open)

[Lv. 5 | Light]

Spellcaster/Effect

Once per turn if this card triggers or is involved with a card effect that increases a player's Life Points, add an additional 800 LP to that total. If the effect of this card has not been activated by the owner's turn end, the player is allowed to draw a card.

ATK: 500 DEF: 2000

Alrighty. In that case:

Non-Dark  monsters cannot declare an attack. If a Dark monster declares an attack, change the attack target to the monster with the highest ATK your opponent controls. Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: The turn player gains 200 LP for each LIGHT monster on the field

Removed a lot of the redundancy in the original grammar. You needn't use -Attribute unless you're talking about monsters being treated as multiple attributes. That thingy about "while this card is on the field" and stuff, try to remember to omit it. 

Once per turn, when a player activates an effect that increases their LP: That player gains 800 LP. During your End Phase, if this card's effect has not been activated: Draw 1 card.

The original wording is strange as hell, Catter xD. Triggers? I mean, yeah, there is a type of effect called trigger, but you never mention that in PSCT, neither "or is involved with a card effect". Maybe you're going for something else and I didn't understand, but I made it so it can be simple and easy to understand n.n. I even have a feeling you wanted both players to draw a card if Santa Claus' effect is not activated during your End Phase, since you used "the player" instead of you. Your cards have short effects, but they're a riddle, Catter xD

Blazing Star Unicorn 

Fire 

Pyro/Effect 

Lv7 

3000/1200 

Once per turn, during your Battle Phase: You can discard any number of cards from your hand; this card can declare a number of attacks equal to the number of cards discarded from your hand.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:41 AM, TheBlackCatter said:

If you think it ends there, just wait until you learn what you can do... you can post your 5-minute crafts too so long as they

1) are built up with some sort of balance (i.e. no "I win" or invulnerable cards);

2) are made in one sitting that lasts about 5-minutes; and

3) is open to ridicule, comments, compliments, and even open use.

This. Just following these rules because these are Catter's guidelines.

If I'm honest, I'm not really a fan of this "5minute craft" concept, as it is by definition a collection of cards in which no efford has been put. anyhow it might actually be an opportunity to watch out for innovative effect ideas. I'm not sure about giving feedback to any of the cards, as I'm used to competitive YuGiOh and advanced custom card design, but I'll give it a try:

"Holiday  Spirit" bares some minor PSCT errors as "Dark attribute" -> "DARK" or "stand-by phase" -> "Standby Phase", but since this is the casual card design forum and the effect is still pretty clear, I don't mind that too much. It's obviously not a card that is meant to be played in a special Deck or strategy, but it smoothly slows the game down and has some interesting interactions with specific Attributes. I'd probably like this card if it had some lore or artwork behind it, that explains the effect in a narrative way, like a DARK warlord wanting to fight just the strongest enemies and a LIGHT ruler trying to keep his realm peaceful.

"Santa Claus" has major PSCT issues like "if this card triggers or is involved with a card effect..." which make the effect difficult to understand. The term "triggers" doesn't exist and I'm not sure if I should replace it with "Summoned" or "activated its effect". I assume the effect should be activated whenever an effect increases any player's life points and I actually like the idea. The second effect, which makes you draw a card actually seems fun but feels a little inappropriate, as a "draw 1" is much stronger than a "gain 800 LP", so you would try to not use the first effect in a competitive scenario. Also it's unclear if the draw effect would be triggered if the LP gain had been used during the opponent's turn but not during your (current) turn.

"Blazing Star Unicorn" has a really interesting effect, that reminds me of the good old "Armed Samurai - Ben Kai" and "Shooting Star Dragon". It surely isn't really competitive aswell, but actually seems like a fun OTK card for casual duels.

So here is my 5 minute craft:

The Mighty Oracle
LIGHT/Link 3
Winged Beast/Link/Effect
ATK 2200 / Arrows: UP, LEFT, RIGHT

2+ monsters including a Ritual Monster
You can look at the top card of your Deck at any time. If the top card of your Deck is a Ritual Spell Card that meets its activation conditions: You can activate it. You can only use this effect of "The Mighty Oracle" once per turn.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, Rayfield Lumina said:

The original wording is strange as hell, Catter xD. Triggers? I mean, yeah, there is a type of effect called trigger, but you never mention that in PSCT, neither "or is involved with a card effect". Maybe you're going for something else and I didn't understand, but I made it so it can be simple and easy to understand n.n. I even have a feeling you wanted both players to draw a card if Santa Claus' effect is not activated during your End Phase, since you used "the player" instead of you. Your cards have short effects, but they're a riddle, Catter xD

Here's what I was going for: Santa's life point boost effect should only happen if a card effect would be triggered by summoning Santa Claus/him existing somewhere on the field/an effect based on how many LV. 4 and/or Light and/or Effect and/or Spellcaster monsters are on the field. I also left it open for the opponent to take advantage of the LP boost because that's the spirit of giving.

These were never meant to be the best, and if they are a puzzle or are very open to interpretation then so be it. They're more of a base-line to jump from, not a standard to follow. Speaking of standards, I just cooked up this card for the fun of fulfilling this pun:

Visions of Sugar Plums (open)

[Spell]

All monsters that are LV. 3 or lower are put in defense mode. They cannot change positions or be tributed for summoning except by another card effect. After every standby phase place a Sugar Plum counter on the affected monster.

Sugar Plum Fairy (open)

[Lv. 7 | Light]

Fairy/Effect

You can special summon this card by removing Sugar Plum counters from any card on the field equal to the level of this card. This card cannot be summoned except by this method. Once per turn, you can negate a card effect that would banish or destroy another card.

ATK: 1700  DEF: 2200

On 12/13/2020 at 5:21 AM, Nobody Really said:

On another note, I've never tasted a sugar plum. For that matter, I've never tasted a plum. 😂

Neither have I, but that line from The Night Before Christmas about the visions of sugar plums dancing in the children's heads inspired me a bit. I did like Messoras' and your contributions even though I didn't say anything before. And now back to our regularly scheduled program:

Gifts from Santa (open)

[Trap]

Activate this card when you opponent ends their turn. If they have not destroyed a card you have owned during their turn, they get 1000 LP and draw 1 card. If they have destroyed a card on their turn, you can put the destroyed card(s) in your hand and gain 500 LP. If this card is destroyed before activation, the owner gains 1000 LP and may draw 1 card.

Wrapping Paper

Trap Card

Select 1 card from your hand and Set it face-down in the Spell/Trap Zone then place this card on top of it. When this card is removed from the field, reveal the selected card and apply the appropriate effect.

• If the selected card was a Spell/Trap Card: Activate it.

• If the selected card was a Monster Card: You can Special Summon it to your side of the field.

Cool concepts! I'm unsure about the Elf monster type, but seeing as this is supposed to be more of a creative warm-up kind of thread it is just as welcome as my weird cards.

Artifact Sleigh (open)

[Lv. 6 | Light]

Fairy/Effect

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell Card. During your opponent's turn, when this Set card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Special Summon it. If this monster is summoned this way, once per turn for 5 turns you can draw 2 cards on your draw phase instead of the usual one. If Santa Claus is on the field, you can send this card to the graveyard and send one Light monster from the graveyard to the field.

ATK: 1000  DEF: 2500

Archived