"Can you give a story to this card?" Contest of Creativity and Imagination! (UPDATE : Scoring System and Example)

Nede

18 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

(I know this look like these stupid fantasy stories we see in cartoons but I don't have anything else in mind)

No no no, fantasy stories like that was so interesting, in fact, I wish you could expand the lore, atleast why the villagers made statues of them in the end, a lesson? a history? a reminder?

18 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

If a spell is not ok here is a monster

Yeah, sorry, the guidelines stated that "It has to be a MONSTER CARD". I can tell you put more effort in the Spell Card, maybe make it the Monster Card version? Like the statues of the 3 brothers came alive and seeks revenge on the village or something? Because it is really interesting

Oh yeah, reminder, @ITSUKOSOADO @GALAXY DUELIST @Dokutah Jolly you can still update the lore and the card until 8th of October.

And for @Zefra Zamazenta @Rayfield Lumina and others who intend to participate, maybe you're still designing it, but I just want you to remind you the deadline is tomorrow

this is its bait bad but I was a bit pressed by the short period left.

9821ecd07504.thumb.jpg.304578a03ab991664eeaff1cd9d6a44d.jpg

so after a few month a huge storm hit the kingdom and a strike of lightning hit the statue and made it alive (Frankenstein lol) anyways as it came Alive now its angry and wants revenge. so he started to chase the poor villagers but now he is no ordinary statue it gained some powers so now every person it touches turns into a statue and then the statue is destroyed after some time. so now the villagers have to find a way to stop this crazy statue from destroying them all! but then they have got a Idea and decided to it really quick. as machine its greatest weak point is water, so some of they people have took the statue to a hidden trap witch was a big hole and as soon as it fell in the trap they started to fill the hole with tons of water. and after some time the statue has stop moving. the hole was covered after that so nothing similar happens again and the kingdom lived happily ever after (classic disney).

again sorry if the lore is bad but the time limit was a bit short so I came up fast with any thing

being a machine goes to the fact that it really had some machine parts in it, and the dark goes for the thing that its yeah evil, and the punish counter for turning to the  statue form

1 hour ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

this is its bait bad but I was a bit pressed by the short period left.

9821ecd07504.thumb.jpg.304578a03ab991664eeaff1cd9d6a44d.jpg

so after a few month a huge storm hit the kingdom and a strike of lightning hit the statue and made it alive (Frankenstein lol) anyways as it came Alive now its angry and wants revenge. so he started to chase the poor villagers but now he is no ordinary statue it gained some powers so now every person it touches turns into a statue and then the statue is destroyed after some time. so now the villagers have to find a way to stop this crazy statue from destroying them all! but then they have got a Idea and decided to it really quick. as machine its greatest weak point is water, so some of they people have took the statue to a hidden trap witch was a big hole and as soon as it fell in the trap they started to fill the hole with tons of water. and after some time the statue has stop moving. the hole was covered after that so nothing similar happens again and the kingdom lived happily ever after (classic disney).

again sorry if the lore is bad but the time limit was a bit short so I came up fast with any thing

being a machine goes to the fact that it really had some machine parts in it, and the dark goes for the thing that its yeah evil, and the punish counter for turning to the  statue form

Well, I mean by 8th October is like 23.59 or 11 PM. In my country, that is like 33 hours left, and I think you have time if you want to edit it or expand it.

Knowing that the deadline was close, I came to at least make my post since I promised to do it. I made the card and had a clear lore in mind, ready to post. Then I took a peek at the other's posts and saw Jolly's. I felt disheartened, I feel the contest has been decided already. I'm not saying that what I had prepared is truly bad stuff, but some people here took it in a different level to what I expected, they even made up an entire story using actual official cards along the way. My card has a lore and flavourful effects that make sense, but nothing like what I mentioned before, I don't think I'm at the height of that post, so I decline on trying. Sorry Nede, it looks like I didn't tackle this contest with the right mindset, and as busy as I have been, I couldn't come up with something worthy.

3 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Knowing that the deadline was close, I came to at least make my post since I promised to do it. I made the card and had a clear lore in mind, ready to post. Then I took a peek at the other's posts and saw Jolly's. I felt disheartened, I feel the contest has been decided already. I'm not saying that what I had prepared is truly bad stuff, but some people here took it in a different level to what I expected, they even made up an entire story using actual official cards along the way. My card has a lore and flavourful effects that make sense, but nothing like what I mentioned before, I don't think I'm at the height of that post, so I decline on trying. Sorry Nede, it looks like I didn't tackle this contest with the right mindset, and as busy as I have been, I couldn't come up with something worthy.

Well, regarding this I actually have some announcement to make to everyone, with this I hope you still intend to post your creation

So everyone, I’ve seen the creations so far and I must say I’m impressed what you guys have came up with. But I still see cards that need to be explained in certain aspects and I understand how hard it is to create a lore, let alone explaining it. In this contest, I want to see creativity and ideas, not judging your story-telling skill, so here’s what I came up with.

To make it this contest more fair, I’ve decided that I’m going to need max. 2 weeks to evaluate your creations. During those 2 weeks, I’m going to message you guys privately about the aspects of the card that I don’t understand. With these conversations, I hope I could complete the lore to made the card make much more sense to the lore. The card won’t change, the lore won’t change either, but hopefully I could complete the lore enough to explain the entirety of the card.

So to everyone, @Rayfield Lumina @Zefra Zamazenta, if you’re still unsure or not confident about the lore, just post your creation, I’ll help you complete it. Because I believe everyone could come up with interesting ideas in their head, but not everyone knows how to turn those ideas into stories and words, and that is okay.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:11 AM, Rayfield Lumina said:

ok i just saw this since yesterday im mostly off of YCM for dnd game night, but oh ray, noooooo

please post your cards :)

im sorry that my entry discourage you. but i think whatever you prepare still worthy of posting and shared. even Nede being supportive of it and provide extra 2 weeks for it. and to be honest as i mention before, my story is a total asspull of preexisting things you still have equal chance (maybe even better given Nede implies original story favors more)

go for it Ray!

How did I not see this! Ray, please post. I once came to a harp contest and played the Equivalent of Hot Cross Buns to these works of art others were playing, but I was glad I played. I believe in your skills as a card maker and participating would mean the world to all of us. If you want we can all expand the lore of each other's cards! If you still don't want to it's fine thanks for following up and not ghosting.

BTRN.thumb.jpg.9c97829b2b653c0ef7ba6a40507a00fe.jpg

Beyond Time and Reality - Neitlinagi

DIVINE               Level 12

Creator Deity / Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect. At the start of your first turn's Main Phase 1, you can banish this card (from your hand or Deck). While it is banished, each time a monster activates its effect, you can note its Type OR Attribute. If you have 10 or more noted different Types and/or Attributes: You can Special Summon this card to your leftmost Main Monster Zone. This card's Summon cannot be negated. Unaffected by other card effects. Cannot be Tributed or used as material. If this is the only monster you control, your opponent can attack you directly. Once per turn: You can move this card to the immediate zone to its right (swap places with any other monster if needed). If this card is in your rightmost Main Monster Zone, you win the Duel.

ATK 0 / DEF 8000

Lore 

And she was there, sitting in the place where no Light nor Shadow can reach. The land devoid of warmth and coldness, and where Love and Hatred was not even an idea. The Absolute All of Nothingness... but her. Simple mortals wouldn't be able to tell if she was there for the briefest of lapses or an eternity, her eyes closed... her heart still. But the moment came when The Time, extending its infinite arms, trying desperately to hold to any of the worlds that were to be, wept. Its lament so deep, the pain echoed in her heart, and for the first time, she opened her eyes.

- Do I exist? - The Time said - I am here, and I am everywhere, and yet who is to notice? Why am I here? Why I am everywhere? And so I say... I am not.

She took pity of The Time, and tried to tell it "I can hear you". But then she noticed: The Time was indeed out of reach. For she had no hope. She was only power... the power of beyond, segregated from everything and everyone. And then, understanding that her path was loneliness, she felt the ultimate pain, as well as the resolve to see that Time wouldn't suffer the same.

Thus, she journeyed. One world, two worlds, a trillion worlds, and more. The branches of The Tree seemed endless, but not even once did her will wavered. She had a duty, and she'd see it to the end. Therefore, she studied the everything. Her need to look everywhere made her neck grow long and flexible. Her hair became almost as infinite as the cosmos, and every single hair was able to study matter and antimatter as the most sensible hand. The last grain of salt. The last speck of dust. The last drop of water. The last thought, the last feeling. The realms of the reverie and imagination. She learned it All. Knowledge and Wisdom overflowing, she felt the answer was very close, and rushed to revisit one of the worlds she had studied with utmost care.

And it was a beautiful land of miracles and pureness. Feeling something was amiss, she inspected the souls of that world's dwellers... those dwellers that always wore smiles on their faces... scared at the emptiness, she left. In the second world, it was hard to distinguish Life and Death. The chaos was almost so perfect it was moving. Letting out a slight sigh, she  moved on. The third world...

- Alas, this is not the right one - she muttered to herself - Have I grown weary? I must go, before I fail.

The third world held people in solitude. Every single one of them. It was not one of the possibilities she had narrowed down. She simply couldn't help but revisit that land of silence. She wanted to cling to the fact that, while everyone there was alone, they were alone in community. She shook her head. Her loneliness was different... it was absolute. And then she parted ways with those she had developed bonds with. Arriving at the fourth world, she saw a lone girl. She liked this girl. She had no pretensions, and no poses. No hypocrisy. She did what she wanted, said what she wanted, and felt what she wanted. She was incredibly kind at times, and also so hideously cruel it was terrifying to watch. She led hundreds, then thousands, and then millions of people, and taught them many things. Ultimately, she understood the reason that world wasn't the right one was precisely that girl.

Her excitement was almost uncontrollable as she landed in the fifth world. How could she not notice before? Focused on studying the tiniest of things, she didn't see the whole picture. That world, so amazingly imperfect, was it. The Primordial World, the base of all the others, from which any other world in the multiverse derived from, almost identical, radically different and all the in-between. The final duty was at hand, and at that moment she realized that, unknowingly, all the knowledge she had accumulated in her hair was blooming in power, and she remembered. "Only power, the Power of Beyond". And then, her hair danced as if moved by the most sublime symphony, and the power was so great it broke the boundary between her realm of existence and reality. The hair continued the dance until the primordial world was shaped, and she herself was almost consumed. And now that the world existed, the Time gently embraced it, and people came to know it. But as she was drifting in the shadows, knowing that she had shaped the Everything but nobody would know, she heard a whisper from Time:

- I shall remember you

And she smiled.

Effect / Flavour Relationship

Alright, let's go step by step.
The effect that allows herself to be banished even from Deck is a clear reference to Neitinagli's original state of being segregated from what we could call our own plane of existence, where Time flows and shows a pale representation of the world possibilities, but is in pain as nobody is there to be a witness of its existence. Neith then awakens and decides to help time, but in order to do, she must discover which is the Primordial World and give it shape.

Therefore, she researches -> notes the "non-existence". That's why you require many different Types/Attributes of monsters, so she gathers enough intel to narrow down which is the Primordial World.

Of course, many of her immunity effects have to do with her being beyond reality. Her Summon cannot be negated, and she can't be touched by other cards, not even the cheap tactic of Tributing her using Lava Golem and such. Strictly speaking, she shouldn't be vulnerable to battle destruction, but here's where game balance comes at play,  because there should be no card or win-con strategy that doesn't have a weakness somewhere. At any rate, I stayed true to her incorporeal being as your opponent can attack you directly if you only control her, and regardless of this all, she had that absolutely insane DEF which represents her unwavering will to finish her duty, as well as a reference to a story of mine in which the universe is shaped in a similar way and it is made of 8 elements (8000 DEF).

The rest should be pretty obvious, I'd say. The five worlds she visits represented by the five Monster Zones she visits. I have to say, I'd have loved to include some effect that was a reference to those worlds, but of course, that would have caused the card's effect to triple in size or something, and most likely destroy the delicate balance of a win-con card.

The fact that you win the Duel as she brings the world to existence is a simple parallelism of reaching the ultimate goal no matter the hardships. In this case, since you're playing a card game, your ultimate goal is winning.

Welp, there it is, @Nede, @Dokutah Jolly, @ITSUKOSOADO, thanks for insisting in me posting, I hope you like it n.n

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 11:50 AM, Loleo said:

I'm seconding that it's been awhile.

Previous replies of Nede makes me think he's a serious person that wouldn't abandon the contest simply because he didn't feel like finishing it. Probably real life stuff is in the way, so let's give him more time, I have trust in the man.

7 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Previous replies of Nede makes me think he's a serious person that wouldn't abandon the contest simply because he didn't feel like finishing it. Probably real life stuff is in the way, so let's give him more time, I have trust in the man.

Yeah you are right he was following the contest from the start I don't think he will stop now. Looks like there are serious stuff happening with him in real life

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

I kinda forget the full detail of necrobump rule might need to ask @The Nyx Avatar

But the generally i know that it only necrobump if we bump things that more than a month old from its last reply/update so i assume its still safe

Correct

2 hours ago, Loleo said:

Is it necrobumping if I bump an ungraded contest?

Well, it hasn't even been a month, so none of these posts are necrobumps. You're good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 5:06 AM, Nede said:

THEME

Hey all, to understand this contest, I might have to tell you the backstory of how I finally created this contest in the first place. First of all, some of you may know that I like to create a card on YCM based on a lore of how it looked like. I usually search for images of creatures in Google Image or Pinterest and when I finally found one, I edit them in PS to make it as Yugioh as possible. And when I'm designing the card, I tried to fit the Name, Level, Attribute, ATK/DEF, Effect, etc to match the lore of the creature I've envisioned in my head.

But frequently, I found images of creatures that I think are really awesome but I just couldn't think what it's Name, Effect, or any lore behind it. And so for this contest, I want you guys to design a card based on the images below with a lore you've created.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contest1.thumb.png.b6d308e9a1e4ca81e5b7c569643cc05a.pngContest2.thumb.png.0261671d17f836e8d48e1fee9f5b194b.pngContest3.thumb.png.e37bf90b01b0e45547d3f32ad45899fb.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RULES

- Choose ONLY 1 IMAGE from above

- It has to be a MONSTER CARD

- You MUST PROVIDE A LORE, and ATLEAST explain why you give it a certain Name or Effects, but explanation on other things such as Attributes, Level, Typing, ATK/DEF, etc is a plus.

- It DOESN'T HAVE TO BE COMPETITIVELY STRONG, BE AS CREATIVE AS YOU CAN TO MATCH THE CARD, from the Names, Effects, etc.

SCORING SYSTEM

1. Lore - /7
I want to know how deep is the lore based on only 1 image that you see. ATLEAST, what kind of creature is it? (A deity? Ancient being? Ex-human? Just an ol' regular monsters in the wild? Etc) What does it do and what kind of impact does this creature bring to the universe that it's in (A protector? A destroyer? An unknown mysterious being? Etc) and what is it's power/strength/weakness/threat?

2. Name, Effect, Level, Type, ATK/DEF - /5
I want to see how creative can you be coming up with the Name, Effect, etc

3. Lore Implementation to the Card Design - /10
This is the most important part, how does the lore transform itself into a Yugioh Card. You need to explain which part of the lore implemented in which part of the card (Name? Which effect? ATK/DEF? Level? etc). I'll be judging how "alive" is the card based on the lore.

4. Realistic and Balanced - /3
Cards that are more realistic and balanced to the Yugioh TCG gets a plus. It's hard enough coming up with something creative, but also balanced?!? *applause*

TOTAL /25

DEADLINE

8th of October 2021 (As requested), but changes might occur.

EXAMPLE

(a simple one, you can make it much better and detailed than this)

Lore:

Once upon a time, there was a wizard that successfully defeated the Evil Lord and brought peace to the village, he was called Gama. He became the hero, legend, savior, and other praiseworthy title for his bravery and keep protecting the village for many many years after that. 50 years has passed, Gama is still a strong wizard, but has a very limited power due to his illness and his old age. But if a  time comes where the village is in danger again, he still has 1 secret forbidden spell up in his sleeves, even though it might have to sacrifice his own life. 

(Yugioh card with an artwork of an Old Wizard)

Gama, The Senior Mage
LIGHT/Level 6
Spellcaster/Effect
ATK 2400/ DEF 1800

You can destroy 1 monster on the opponent field with ATK lower than this card's ATK. You can tribute this card (Quick Effect): Banish 1 monster on your opponent side of the field, then take damage equal to it's ATK. You can only use each effect of "Gama, the Senior Mage" once per turn.

Explanation:
Since he's a wizard that protects the village, he's a LIGHT Spellcaster monster. With his staff, he can create fireballs to eradicate smaller enemies (Destroy 1 monster with ATK lower than this card's ATK). But if a day comes when a really strong monster threaten the village, he must use his last resort, his forbidden spell "Eternal Punishment" where he send his opponent to another realm, but with a cost of his life (Tribute this card, banish 1 monster). He's a strong but a kind-hearted wizard, so he won't use his spell to hurt anyone in the village (All effects can only target monsters on the opponent field)

You don't have to create it exactly like that, but just to give an example or reference of what I meant in the rules and scoring system to avoid any confusion.

PRIZE

1st : I could create an artwork for 3 of your cards if you want

2nd : I could create an artwork for 2 of your cards if you want

3rd : I could create an artwork for 1 of your card if you want

GOOD LUCK, I can't wait to see your creations,

If you have any further question, just ask 😃😄😁

SOURCE :

https://mobile.twitter.com/lv666_lucifer/status/904121676002091009

https://kemonozume.tumblr.com/post/107325584845

https://www.webdesignertrends.com/2014/02/smithe-illustrations-et-street-art/

Pretty nice and useful resources. Let me go through each.

Archived