2021 Christmas Dossier Updates

Draconus297

Hiya! 

If you don't remember me or mine, that's fine; I haven't been heavily active on YCM in a long while. If you do, however . . . you know me as a prolific card maker, constantly thinking about my next project, and always interested in designing something. And, while I've been more heavily invested in a handful of private projects, I'm still a YGO player, sitting on a mountain of rogue Decks and swapping between them to play with my friends or at local events. I haven't left YGO, but I'm a captain without his crew, should you remember why I left. 

All this preamble aside, there's another thing I was pretty well-known for; keeping a dossier of which cards, which archetypes, which playstyles people generally like, in order to make gifts for everyone around the holidays. 

Problem being that I haven't been around all year. My dossiers are all hilariously out-of-date, and most are incomplete besides. 

So! The solution to missing and incomplete information is to gather information. 

Anyone who so desires can post a card dossier on themselves at any point up to 11:59 PM on December 18, 2021, and I will do my absolute best with what you give me; this could be a small archetype, a series of cards, a support wave for an existing archetype, or even a single new card for you to toy with, but I will do my best to be a very giving anime-haired YGO Santa.

So how do?

Each dossier should be formatted as follows, and I'll put my own up as an example.

Name (What should I call you?): Draconus297 

Preferred Types (This could be monster Types like Dragon, Spellcaster. Warrior et al, this could be Summoning mechanics like Gemini, Ritual, Synchro, and so forth, or this could be card Types, like Quick-Play Spells or Counter Traps): Dragon, Spellcaster, Rock, Plant, Machine; Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum; Field Spells, Continuous S/T, Equip cards.

Preferred playstyle (how do you prefer your Deck to run?): Combo-oriented, heavily consistent, with a side of control. Heavy recursion.

Favorite archetypes/Deck styles (this can include both archetypes you play IRL, and Decks you wish you could pilot but can't for whatever reason): I actually play a lot of weirdo ones, but for the sake of brevity, Rokket, Shaddoll/Performage, Aroma, Sunavalon, A-to-Z, Alien, combo Blue-Eyes, RDA, Earthbound Inca, Endymion, Mathmech, Gogogo.

Aesthetic preference (theming that attracts your attention to cards or Decks you otherwise wouldn't play): I love the number 3 and its multiples, so 3/6/9/12 for Levels, Ranks, and Link Ratings makes me consider a card more than I otherwise would; I have a heavy preference for DARK and FIRE; unga bunga big beaters are always fun (I run 1 Megarock in my Gogogo Deck for this very reason); Counter mechanics make me very happy; I actually miss a lot of Arc-V style card design with bosses that have Quick Effects and float into something when they do get taken down; any boss that I can make a joke about being IMMORTAL due to protection or self-revival is going to make me at least consider playing it.

Name: Darj

Preferred Types, etc.: Machine, Spellcaster, Wyrm, DARK, LIGHT, Fusion monsters, Synchro Tuners, Flip monsters, Quick-Play Spells because they can answer to hand traps during your turn from the hand without having to be monsters.

Preferred playstyle: Control, really. But not the floodgate kind, more like the floaty recurring kind in that they gain stun cards to spend and float them or otherwise recover card advantage. Best relevant example would Eldlitch, the Dogmatika, Aleister and Brave engines, in past years it was Shaddolls (putting Winda aside).

Favorite archetypes/Deck styles: The aforementioned Dogmatika, Aleister and Shaddolls, although nowadays they function mostly as engines. Other archetype or engines I like are Artifacts, non-DARK Machinas, Mekk-Knights, Ice Barriers, Traptrix. Also I put effort into avoiding netdecks and mix  matching archetypes or engines. Decks I enjoyed were Machinas with a Chaos Infinity engine, Traptrix and Artifact Shaddolls, a HAT variant with E-Tele instead of Hands, and the latest is Mekk-Knight Sky Striker back when Strikers were topping.

Aesthetic preference: I can sum it up in 2 categories: things that look holy and armored or mechanical such as Mekk-Knights, Artifacts, Invoked Mechaba, Constellars, and Dogmatika Fleurdelis. Things that look corrupted and also armored or synthetic-like such as Shaddolls (they are puppets), Orcusts, Invoked Caliga, Yazi, a couple of Evilswarm like Coppelia and Thanatos.

"Name: The Nyx Avatar

Preferred Type(s): Fiend monsters, Synchro monsters, Quick-Play Spell Cards, Field Spell Cards, and Counter Trap Cards.

Preferred playstyle: Putting a full board. Also, banishing. Self-Summoning via banishment, banishing your opponent's cards on the field, banishing your cards to draw, gaining ATK based on banished cards, ect. I can share examples if you want me to elaborate. Also, NO TURBO DECKS! I hate turbo playstyles.

Archetypes I like: Fabled (Their name roughly translates to Demon Roar God, and they have mythical creatures), Valkyrie (beautiful armor-clad ladies riding upon pegasi, Infernoid (Hellish robots. And that blue hue is cool), Fairy Tail (adorable take on these fairy tale girls and ladies), Golden Castle of Stromberg (German, fairy tales), Orcust (alludes to Christianity), Dogmatika (the closest we have to an archetype of crusaders), Ritual Beast (pretty cards that banish), Ghostrick (spooky cute; just a damn shame they don't have more self-Summoning), Destiny HERO (my favorite HERO; practical, and give off the anti-hero vibe), Evil HERO (second favorite, and they're Fiends), Chaos (favorite Attributes; and some banishing), Fortune Lady (beautiful, occult, banish), Gishki (occult), Entity (H.P Lovecraft), Gravekeeper (give a big "Fuck you" to Grave-happy cards), Invoked (occult and good Fusion Spell), Prediction Princess (occult ladies), Reptilianne (cool snake ladies), Toon (silly, but dark), Witchcrafter (pretty occult).

Aesthetic: As I've made evident time and time again, I love occult themes. And girls/women. My favorite number is 7 for what it's worth. Now, I don't mean make an archetype of Level 7 monsters. But if there's a boss or Synchro monster that's Level 7? That's good enough for me!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Name: Loleo (originally ITSUKOSADO) 

Preferred Types, etc.: Beast, Spellcaster, Wyrm, Fish, Warrior (in that order) (Most preferably varying types)

Preferred playstyle: Toolbox. I like to have the card for any situation and be able to mess around enough to where the game always seems close. Also themed and Gimmicky.

Favorite archetypes: Fur Hires, Invoked, Flundereeze, Rescue, Bamboo, Grenmaju, Ursartic

Favorite Cards: Marshmallon, Fencing Fire Ferret, and X-Sabre Arebellum

Aesthetic preference: Cute (Melffy is best!). Epic (Having the Folgo or Rafael vs Beat or Filo). Easter eggs (References to other cards, hidden lore, just that special attention to detail). 

I think I'm known for my "What hasn't been done yet" outlook on making cards (or at least I've been trying to)

My favorite card I've ever made is "No I choose" Which has the continuous effect which takes all choices and random effects on cards and lets the opponent of that cards controller instead choose how the card plays out, but If they do the player who lost the choice draws a card.

ya know what why not shake it up, I'll bite, in the mood to give this a try so here's a rare cow post on here

hope you don't mind doing this for someone who doesn't really play much at all

Name: LordCowCow

Preferred Types: Fish, Sea Serpent, Aqua (tbh I lump these together a lot don't really know differences), Thunder, Zombie (Fairy but that's more hit and miss), XYZ and Fusion preferred summon, and Field Spells

Preferred playstyle: Uhh, simple, fast but not too zooming, beatdown (edit: slight addition, I enjoy in MtG Black/Red, especially killing my own things for effects, if that helps)

Favorite archetypes/Deck styles: I've literally only played Wights, a Fish deck, and a custom deck for an RP but I like Ghostricks a lot as an example outside that.

Aesthetic preference: Cute things, spooky things, silly things (not necessarily all at once but that works too). Probably obvious but I like water and thunder, element-wise. Also I like hand traps as a concept in general.

Also note I don't get Links and don't care to, and am iffy about Pendulum

Name: Zamazenta

Preferred Types: Dragon, Spellcaster, Warrior, Wyrm, Machine, DARK, LIGHT, Link Monsters and Xyz Monsters.

Preferred playstyle: Combo and Turbo, sometimes Control + Stun, also Lockdown and Stopping my Opponent from playing the game with Negates such as Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon.

Favorite archetypes/Deck styles: Dragon Link, Adamancipator, Drytrons, Tri-brigade, Shaddolls Invoked, Sky Strikers, Orcust, ahhh META and Rogue Decks.

Aesthetic preference: Using Powerful cards such as Destiny HERO - Destroyer Phoenix Enforcer to pop my opponents cards or to pop my own Artifact Scythe to lockdown the Opponnet or to Have Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon cause I"m a lean and mean Combo player lol.

Name: Rayfield

Preferred Card Characteristics.: Aqua, Sea Serpent, Psychic, Plant, Fairy (Fairies that are actually fairies or similar, not divine machines or aliens); WATER, WIND; Flip, Normal mons, Synchros and Fusions

Preferred Playstyle: I abhor the current meta, Turbo decks, endless Special Summoning and omni-negators. I'd rather use an offensive style with good pacing but nothing too crazy, with the ability to avoid commonly used disruptions and lots of solid immunities rather than locking down your opponent to do anything. I like send to the GY or banishing effects over destruction ones, and multiple Normal Summoning over a rain of SSing. Btw, I'm not completely opposed to negations. That's a part of the game and very much required, but I'm saying stuff like Shi en + Shien is plain stupid.

Favorite archetype/Deck styles: Umi-based, Normal Monster core, Atlantean (pure. Mermails are fine, but still...), Madolche (qtness), Witchcrafter (multi-attributed pretty girls), Rikka (elegant WATER ladies, hell yeah), Shaddoll (creepy, corrupted and interesting, The Weather (column stuff is cool and the artistic +weather part is nice), World Chalice (check THIS out!... or rather, the amazing lore behind, and Ib the WCJ is my favorite monster card).

Aesthetic preference: Waifus. Period. Ok no, also, cute things like the mentioned Madolche or Fluffals, or very cool looking stuff like Crystron or Shaddolls.

* Please stay away from Burn Decks, stupidly stalling stuff (I like Ghostricks but that's a grand exception), Pendulums, Dragons (don't take it personal, Draco xD). I'd finally mention that if there's a prime example of the kind of thing I hate in YGO, that's Six Samurais. An archetype comprised of mostly males, uninteresting looking gang of angry sword-wielding guys that swarm summon like there's no tomorrow and almost guarantees a lose with their ridiculous locks if they go first. Ewww beyond words.

6 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Name: Rayfield

Preferred Card Characteristics.: Aqua, Sea Serpent, Psychic, Plant, Fairy (Fairies that are actually fairies or similar, not divine machines or aliens); WATER, WIND; Flip, Normal mons, Synchros and Fusions

Preferred Playstyle: I abhor the current meta, Turbo decks, endless Special Summoning and omni-negators. I'd rather use an offensive style with good pacing but nothing too crazy, with the ability to avoid commonly used disruptions and lots of solid immunities rather than locking down your opponent to do anything. I like send to the GY or banishing effects over destruction ones, and multiple Normal Summoning over a rain of SSing. Btw, I'm not completely opposed to negations. That's a part of the game and very much required, but I'm saying stuff like Shi en + Shien is plain stupid.

Favorite archetype/Deck styles: Umi-based, Normal Monster core, Atlantean (pure. Mermails are fine, but still...), Madolche (qtness), Witchcrafter (multi-attributed pretty girls), Rikka (elegant WATER ladies, hell yeah), Shaddoll (creepy, corrupted and interesting, The Weather (column stuff is cool and the artistic +weather part is nice), World Chalice (check THIS out!... or rather, the amazing lore behind, and Ib the WCJ is my favorite monster card).

Aesthetic preference: Waifus. Period. Ok no, also, cute things like the mentioned Madolche or Fluffals, or very cool looking stuff like Crystron or Shaddolls.

* Please stay away from Burn Decks, stupidly stalling stuff (I like Ghostricks but that's a grand exception), Pendulums, Dragons (don't take it personal, Draco xD). I'd finally mention that if there's a prime example of the kind of thing I hate in YGO, that's Six Samurais. An archetype comprised of mostly males, uninteresting looking gang of angry sword-wielding guys that swarm summon like there's no tomorrow and almost guarantees a lose with their ridiculous locks if they go first. Ewww beyond words.

So... You hate Mystic Mine Decks?

14 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

So... You hate Mystic Mine Decks?

You could say, yeah. I think that effects with powerful locks are a cancer to the game, regardless if they're the kind of effects that affect both players under the respective circumstances. There will always be decks that can take a dangerous level of advantage with this kind of cards given their strategy/gimmick, so I'd rather cards like MM didn't exist.

5 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

You could say, yeah. I think that effects with powerful locks are a cancer to the game, regardless if they're the kind of effects that affect both players under the respective circumstances. There will always be decks that can take a dangerous level of advantage with this kind of cards given their strategy/gimmick, so I'd rather cards like MM didn't exist.

Me to also MM is Cancer its banned over in the OCG But not the TCG but Maxx "C" is banned in the TCG but not the OCG their like banlist Exclusives or Something Konami loves Evil Floodgate or Hand Trap Cards

As an update on my progress:

Darj and Nyx Avatar: I'm already done. Like, if you'd prefer it, the Christmas thread opening on the 19th could have your gifts already in it.

Loleo: I have the gimmick itself down, the effect style I'm going for . . . but the theming, and the name for the archetype, are proving a bit difficult. I'll have to come back to this one with a bit more focus. 

LordCowCow: Just finished the Main Deck monsters and the Field Spell tonight. I'll tackle the rest of the backrow, and the Xyz monster, tomorrow. 

Zefra: I know vaguely what I'll be going for with this dossier. Gonna have to be a bit big, though, which is definitely going to cut into the time I have, but it should(TM) come out fantastic. 

Rayfield: Very vague ideas . . . but there's something I absolutely know I must do, the issue is building an archetype around that one big idea.

Overall, I'm making fantastic time.

Name: Morrisoni4 (You can call me Morris, per usual)

Preferred types: I like Dragon, Spellcaster, Fiend, and Warrior monsters. I'm a fan of Xyz, Ritual, and Fusion monsters. Synchro and Link, less so.

Preferred playstyle: I'm a fan of defensive playstyles, be those burn decks, deck-out strats, or "Exodia"- or "Destiny Board"-type Instant Wins.

Favorite Archetypes: Disparate though they are, I like the "Numbers," because they've got fun lore and they're very versatile. "Blue-Eyes," "Galaxy-Eyes," and the Egyptian & Wicked Gods are the more aggressive exceptions to my playstyle preference. "Relinquished" and its family are just fun to mess with your opponent with. And I just find the entire concept of "Earthbound Immortals" intriguing.

Aesthetic Preferences: For one, I appreciate the "cutesy" style of design for things like "Mokey Mokey" or the original "Charmers" and their Familiars. Another favorite is the (decidedly very different) 'ascendant' style of things like the original Egyptian Gods. I've always liked cards that can tell a story, like the "Gigobyte" line or "Warrior Dai Grepher's" diverging storylines. Playwise, I like effects that can mess with people's strategies by turning usually beneficial effects back on them ("Bad Reaction to Simochi," "Appropriate," "Greed," et al).

If I can give you anything else specific, let me know. Thanks Draco!

Progress Update #2:

Darj, Nyx Avatar, LordCowCow, Zamazenta: These are basically finished. I could expand them later (say, for instance, as part of next year's Christmas thread, as a 5-card support wave), but I'm satisfied with their current lineups.

Loleo: I know WHAT I want to do, but not HOW. This is a headscratcher, for certain. 

Rayfield: Your archetype's Main Deck monsters are finished. Like, I cracked down and got them in my design doc all today. I'm pretty satisfied tbh, and although I work the next few days, I know the direction I want to take the backrow, and you're getting a few different ED monsters simply because the idea supports the concept. 

Morris: I know what I'm going to do. I don't like what I'm about to do, but I know what it is; this is going to involve a significant amount of cruelty to your poor opponents.

@Darj

@Nyx Avatar

@Loleo

@TheImmaculateDreadLordCowCow

@Zefra Zamazenta

@Rayfield Lumina

@morrisoni4

20 hours ago, Draconus297 said:

Morris: I know what I'm going to do. I don't like what I'm about to do, but I know what it is; this is going to involve a significant amount of cruelty to your poor opponents.

*Evil Laughter* I like the sound of this! LET THEM ALL SUFFER WHO DARE OPPOSE ME! xD But seriously though, sounds cool!

With a dramatic flare, Tinkerer arrives late to make a request of Santa Dragon Lord!  What will he ask??

Spent quite a bit of time thinking here. There's a lot, and I often have multiple choices. Take whichever bits seem interesting/doable to you.

Preferred Attributes/types:

- EARTH, WIND (not opposed to anything but DARK).
 - Wyrm, Pyro, Aqua, Thunder, Rock. I like Zombies too, but if you do Zombie, I'd rather they not support the type generically (I'm fine with the other types offering generic support).
 - Alternatively, I like series/archetypes with a lot of varying types/Attributes.
 - Unasked, but I like Level 5-6 monsters.  I always feel like they are the "black sheep" of the levels; not stong enough to be bosses, not consistent enough to be the core of a deck.

Preferred mechanics:
 - Xyzs, Pendulums.
   * To clarify: I like Pendulums because they offer tons of utility as both monsters and spells.  I don't particularly like heavily focusing on the pendulum summon mechanic.  Think D/D, Archfiend Eccentrick, A.I. ME-PSY-YA, etc.

Preferred backrow:
No preference.  I'm generally in favor of spells being used for consistency rather than monsters.

Preferred playstyle:
 - Board breaking - I DON'T like interruption/setting up big negate boards/using handtraps. I DO like the idea of breaking through an opponent's setup even if it went through completely unopposed.
 - "Protect the Castle" - Summoning a big, nigh indestructable monster/sticky board that the opponent has to cleverly figure out how to get rid of.

Favorite archetypes/deck styles:
 - Yosenju - Pendulum, Xyz, WIND
 - Hazy Flames - Xyz, Various types, "Protect the Castle"/strong boss, Level 6
 - Deskbot - Pendulum, "Board Breaking"/OTK, EARTH
 - Orcust - Lol, opposes almost everything I've listed here, but probably my favorite or second favorite deck
 - Ice Barriers - Various types, "Protect the Castle"/sticky board, Important level 5 (Wayne)

Aesthetic preferences:
None.  I generally like the more random/out there design choices that you see in YGO Sevens (chair deck, family heirloom deck, zombie dancers, rockstar fiends, etc.), but I care more about playstyle than aesthetics.

Whew, lots of detail!

Mix and match whichever of my preferences you want. My likes will probably be completely different in a few months :p

Archived