The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

LOL, thought that was a promo for shark week...and wtf is up with their title? Hope it won't be like Meridional. That album was a letdown for me.

I've seen stranger song titles haha. I liked Meridional minus the interludes. Hope the next one has less experimentation and more noise.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meridional's not quite the 'return to roots' promised in the lead-up to the record's release, but rather a messy mishmash of the different directions the band has taken throughout their career. I'm ok if they went with The Anti Mother direction though, they come a long way after spending 3 album trying to bluntly recreating Botch's We Are the Romans.

Meridional's not quite the 'return to roots' promised in the lead-up to the record's release, but rather a messy mishmash of the different directions the band has taken throughout their career. I'm ok if they went with The Anti Mother direction though, they come a long way after spending 3 album trying to bluntly recreating Botch's We Are the Romans.

I agree with you on Meridional but the songs are good enough that I think it's still a quality Norma Jean record. And I think O' God, the Aftermath was the only moment where they were really trying replicate Botch, but I think of it more as a tribute than anything else, and the album rules anyway haha. It and Redeemer are my two faves...The Anti Mother took a long time to grow on me (like at least a year) but I enjoy it now.

Hehehe...Notch. Well, if anything, Norma Jean's first 3 album are greatly influenced by Botch. Agreed with Coral, Meridional while not the best still is a standard record by them. Anti-Mother on the other hand took some time to get into.

Anyway, just did a review of Deftones' Diamond Eyes on my slot of Sonar's review thread.

Hehehe...Notch. Well, if anything, Norma Jean's first 3 album are greatly influenced by Botch. Agreed with Coral, Meridional while not the best still is a standard record by them. Anti-Mother on the other hand took some time to get into.

Anyway, just did a review of Deftones' Diamond Eyes on my slot of Sonar's review thread.

Made a typo~

Anyway, here's something I don't think had been posted before.

Ok, sure, influenced by Botch.

Woo. That was amazing! Reminds me of Apocalyptica.

Since I've been slacking on keeping up with music, I've decided to acquire a few new albums over the past few days:

Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry (Depressive/Atmospheric Black Metal)

Panopticon - Kentucky (Atmoshperic Black Metal With Bluegrass Elements)

An Autumn For Crippled Children - Only The Ocean Knows (Atmospheric Black Metal)

Downfall of Gaia - Suffocating In The Swarm Of Cranes (Atmospheric Black Metal/Post-Hardcore/Crust)

Addaura - Burning For The Ancient (Black Metal/Atmospheric)

Entites - Aether (Progressive Deathcore)

Aquilus - Griseus (Atmoshperic Black Metal with Neoclassical Influences)

Ash Borer - Cold of Ages (Atmospheric Black Metal)

Cryptopsy - Self-Titled (Brutal Death)

CrystalMoors - Circle of the Five Serpents (Pagan Black Metal)

Eis - Wetterkreuz (Black Metal/Atmospheric)

Irrlycht - Schatten des Gewitters (Black Metal)

Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live (Melodic Death Metal) *I am unbelievably excited about this release. I've been waiting for years.

Nyktalgia - Peisithantos (Black Metal)

Shining - Redefining Darkness (Black Metal/Depressive Black)

The Room Colored Charlatan - Between Mirrors: The Quantum Immortality (Progressive Deathcore)

The Unconscious Mind - Where Philosophers Fall (Melodic Deathcore with Black Metal Elements)

Ulveheim - Frå Ulveheimen (Viking/Folk Black Metal)

I have A LOT of listening to do. I've only previewed these albums so far.

Since I've been slacking on keeping up with music, I've decided to acquire a few new albums over the past few days:

An Autumn For Crippled Children - Only The Ocean Knows (Atmospheric Black Metal)

Downfall of Gaia - Suffocating In The Swarm Of Cranes (Atmospheric Black Metal/Post-Hardcore/Crust)

Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live (Melodic Death Metal) *I am unbelievably excited about this release. I've been waiting for years.

The Room Colored Charlatan - Between Mirrors: The Quantum Immortality (Progressive Deathcore)

The Unconscious Mind - Where Philosophers Fall (Melodic Deathcore with Black Metal Elements)

Wow. I'm guessing you downloaded a good number of these or else that's at least $200 of music in less than a week...not that it's a bad thing :)

You not only haven given yourself the pleasure of listening to these band but now you have my gratitude for giving me more bands to listen to even though I know some of em.

I'm not too sure if AIC qualify as metal

But still they made a new song and I actually think that it's a good one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmSeWqmlqYs

Technically they are.

Has anyone ever listened to anything by Scar Symmetry or Dark Tranquility? I heard they were a great band and I need some more metal originated in America.

Scar Symmetry used to be good, now they're just meh. Dark Tranquillity is awesome. Both of the bands are from Sweden though.

For Scar Symmetry, Holographic Universe is their best album. Dark Tranquillity's best in my opinion is Damage Done, but Character and Fiction are close behind it.

Scar Symmetry is alright. They're pretty much just your run-of-the-mill melodic death metal. Though, their early albums featured Christian Älvestam on vocals and he's amazeballs. Symmetric In Design was probably my favorite Scar Symmetry release.

Dark Tranquillity is classic, but they've gotten pretty stale these days. My favorite from them is probably Character or Damage Done

Sadly, America isn't overwhelmed with good metal. There's just a lot of metalcore/deathcore clones and the occasional decent black metal band.

If you're really looking for GOOD metal, I suggest just ignoring the country of origin completely. :P

Scar Symmetry is alright. They're pretty much just your run-of-the-mill melodic death metal. Though, their early albums featured Christian Älvestam on vocals and he's amazeballs. Symmetric In Design was probably my favorite Scar Symmetry release.

Nice to know your opinon on it

I was considering trying some of Scar Symmetry's stuff

Nice to know your opinon on it

I was considering trying some of Scar Symmetry's stuff

Nice to know my opinion has some meaning here, lol.

Definitely check out Symmetric In Design. Holographic Universe is a good album, but I just wasn't digging the production on it. The production on Symmetric In Design, in my opinion, does the music more justice.

Nice to know my opinion has some meaning here, lol.

Definitely check out Symmetric In Design. Holographic Universe is a good album, but I just wasn't digging the production on it. The production on Symmetric In Design, in my opinion, does the music more justice.

Just listened to The Illusionist

An epic song

I am gonna go look for the album sometime

Dark Tranquillity is classic, but they've gotten pretty stale these days. My favorite from them is probably Character or Damage Done

Sadly, America isn't overwhelmed with good metal. There's just a lot of metalcore/deathcore clones and the occasional decent black metal band.

If you're really looking for GOOD metal, I suggest just ignoring the country of origin completely. :P

On the contrary, there is a lot of great American metal but it usually falls under a sub-genre like post-metal, sludge, metalcore, etc. Europe is where it's at for all the good straight-up metal.

On the contrary, there is a lot of great American metal but it usually falls under a sub-genre like post-metal, sludge, metalcore, etc. Europe is where it's at for all the good straight-up metal.

I should have been less biased with my statements. I'm not a fan of most of the metal from America BECAUSE it typically falls under the metalcore/deathcore, sludge, etc. genres. Though, America does seem to churn out some great atmospheric black metal bands. I was thinking in terms of bands similar to Scar Symmetry and Dark Tranquillity; the US isn't exactly known for its melodic death scene.

I should have been less biased with my statements. I'm not a fan of most of the metal from America BECAUSE it typically falls under the metalcore/deathcore, sludge, etc. genres. Though, America does seem to churn out some great atmospheric black metal bands. I was thinking in terms of bands similar to Scar Symmetry and Dark Tranquillity; the US isn't exactly known for its melodic death scene.

I agree. They do have a great hardcore scene though, which stems into all of my favorite heavy music i.e. ISIS, Converge, Neurosis, Rosetta etc.

Archived