The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

Honestly, I think they get a little more hype than they deserve, but Casus Luciferi was a great album, as was Rabid Death's Curse. They're definitely worth a listen, but I wouldn't put them in my list of favorites.

Apparently they won a Swedish Grammy for their album Lawless Darkness, but I've yet to listen to that.

That's the only one I really know about, it sounded good from what I heard. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard of Watain before. Probably the most common band I heard from folks who enjoy stuff like Leviathan, Cradle Of Filth, Abigail Williams and similar stuff. Anyway, anyone ever heard of Cult Of Luna?

Been meaning to listen to them because I love post-metal but I haven't gotten to it yet. 

I heard of Watain before. Probably the most common band I heard from folks who enjoy stuff like Leviathan, Cradle Of Filth, Abigail Williams and similar stuff. Anyway, anyone ever heard of Cult Of Luna?

I had just recently heard about them elsewhere

They apparently have a new album out

It's called Vertikal I think

I'm probably gonna go get it once I've gotten the chance to

Yes. 

I think maybez you're not too familiar with the genre?

Well when someone mentions emo music

I only think of the type of music that the two

Girls who find the members of BvB to be cute

Play during school sometimes

So, no I'm not familiar with the genre at all

Well I'm only taking a wild guess

But I'm starting to think that what I think emo

music is, isn't emo music at all

Either that or it's not from the good emo music

Well when someone mentions emo music

I only think of the type of music that the two

Girls who find the members of BvB to be cute

Play during school sometimes

So, no I'm not familiar with the genre at all

Well I'm only taking a wild guess

But I'm starting to think that what I think emo

music is, isn't emo music at all

Either that or it's not from the good emo music

Emo is short for "emotional hardcore" and came out of the D.C. hardcore punk scene in the 1980's. A lot of bands today (My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Hights) are mis-labeled as emo because of the band's image or lyrics. Bands like Comadre and Off Minor (below) are real emo bands. 

That would be a good reason to post it wouldn't it? And since the boss approve, here's one. Also Coral, awesome review.

Thank you sir, I'm assuming you read the right one haha. Also, I'm assuming you've listened to the new Circle Takes the Square, what'd you think? I have it preordered but I listened to the download and I think it's pretty sweet. 

Emo is short for "emotional hardcore" and came out of the D.C. hardcore punk scene in the 1980's. A lot of bands today (My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Hights) are mis-labeled as emo because of the band's image or lyrics. Bands like Comadre and Off Minor (below) are real emo bands. 

Well now that I've heard a band that isn't mislabeled

I must say that I do like real emo music

Thank you sir, I'm assuming you read the right one haha. Also, I'm assuming you've listened to the new Circle Takes the Square, what'd you think? I have it preordered but I listened to the download and I think it's pretty sweet. 

Yup I did. As for the new Circle Takes The Square album, yeah I love it. A lot better than their previous ep in my opinion. Not everyone would agree though. 

Moog, pretty much what Coral said and you should try listening to most of the earlier bands like Husker Du's, Rites Of Spring, Embrace, Moss Icons, Off Minor and Sunny Day Real Estate. Then listen to 90's period of emo which most might called them screamo but in all seriousness, it's just emo with more screaming, fast pace drum and heavy guitar riff like pg.99, City Of Caterpillar, Joshua Fit For Battle, Saetia, Orchid and Love Lost But Not Forgotten. By listening to those, you'll know which sound would you prefer because modern emo(called skramz) bands can sound like any of those two period i.e Circle Takes The Square, Touche Amore, Comadre, Raein, Pianos Become The Teeth and The Number 12 Looks Like You would sound like the 90's period of emo while some like Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate), The Subways, Snowing, Joie De Vivre, Football, etc. and I would set myself on fire would sound like the early years of emo.

Just found my old band's Reverb Nation page. Oh how bad we were...actually the second and third track aren't too bad, just very raw-sounding. Just don't listen to the first track first please, we recorded the vocals separate for some reason and I wasn't quite at my best that day so it sounds really bad ._.

http://www.reverbnation.com/sincerelyyourbeloved

By the way...I just saw Underoath's last show ever. 

Just found my old band's Reverb Nation page. Oh how bad we were...actually the second and third track aren't too bad, just very raw-sounding. Just don't listen to the first track first please, we recorded the vocals separate for some reason and I wasn't quite at my best that day so it sounds really bad ._.

http://www.reverbnation.com/sincerelyyourbeloved

Well if you guys didn't sound so raw

Then it wouldn't sound too bad at all

The first track was yeah, pretty terrible

Some mid-90's black metal. One of my favorite tracks ever from Ragnarok (and black metal in general). In my eyes, Ragnarok has been one of the most consistent acts (if not the most consistent) in black metal. Every album they've released is incredible, with this one--Arising Realm--being my second favorite.

Fun Fact: Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir was the session keyboardist for this album.

Some mid-90's black metal. One of my favorite tracks ever from Ragnarok (and black metal in general). In my eyes, Ragnarok has been one of the most consistent acts (if not the most consistent) in black metal. Every album they've released is incredible, with this one--Arising Realm--being my second favorite.

Fun Fact: Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir was the session keyboardist for this album.

Sounds pretty decent. I've been searching around for more good black metal and I just started checking out Burzum, starting with Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

I'm also really interested in checking out Wolves In the Throne Room. 

Sounds pretty decent. I've been searching around for more good black metal and I just started checking out Burzum, starting with Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

I'm also really interested in checking out Wolves In the Throne Room. 

Burzum is good and all, but he wouldn't be on my list of bands to rush and check out. Though, that IS his best album. Filosofem was also a decent album.

Wolves In The Throne Room is really good if you like atmospheric black metal. Diadem of 12 Stars is my favorite from them. It's one of the first atmospheric black metal albums I listened to.

Depending on what type of black metal you want, I could recommend some.

Burzum is good and all, but he wouldn't be on my list of bands to rush and check out. Though, that IS his best album. Filosofem was also a decent album.

Wolves In The Throne Room is really good if you like atmospheric black metal. Diadem of 12 Stars is my favorite from them. It's one of the first atmospheric black metal albums I listened to.

Depending on what type of black metal you want, I could recommend some.

I think I'm looking for more stuff like Panopticon and Agalloch, the more atmospheric stuff really appeals to me. I also started listening to Tombs and I really like their blend of black metal and hardcore.

Woods of Desolation

Gris

Sombres Forets

Addaura

Austere

Coldworld

Brocken Moon

Peste Noire (not all of their stuff is atmospheric, but their album La Sanie des Siècles is amazing with a lot of atmospheric influence)

Lantlos

Shining

Wolves In The Throne Room (obviously)

P.H.T.O.

Nhor

Forest Stream (I feel like these guys are REALLY underrated)

Falls of Rauros

Altar of Plagues

Just to name some really good ones.

Woods of Desolation

Gris

Sombres Forets

Addaura

Austere

Coldworld

Brocken Moon

Peste Noire (not all of their stuff is atmospheric, but their album La Sanie des Siècles is amazing with a lot of atmospheric influence)

Lantlos

Shining

Wolves In The Throne Room (obviously)

P.H.T.O.

Nhor

Forest Stream (I feel like these guys are REALLY underrated)

Falls of Rauros

Altar of Plagues

Just to name some really good ones.

Thank you sir, I will look into these. 

Archived