KORRA HAS ARRIVED!

Astro Dude

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week's episode was as dark as hell (literally, it was). Tarloc just showed how cruel he could be, following the stereotype that Amon has set-up with his law, creating a puppet chief so that he has full control over the Metalbending Police, arresting Asami, Mako and Bolin, in addition to masses of innocent non-benders for their association with the Equalists (which is heavily BSed by Republic City standards), which ends with an epic battle between Korra and Tarloc. Korra thought she had the advantage when taking him out of an area with an abundant source of water. Unfortunately for Korra, Tarloc happened to be a Bloodbender, which lead to defeat in a twisted way. The ending of that episode left me so bitter with Korra being transported to somewhere where no one will ever hear from her or know of her again, which made the unfair jailing of the team seem incredibly pleasant by comparison.

I expect that in Chapter 9, Amon personally goes out of his way to rescue Korra from her impending fate while giving the We Are Not So Different speech to Korra in an attempt to have her be a part of his plans. Korra will be forced to accept the situation at hand because the plan involves taking down Tarloc, who is currently oppressing the non-benders. It's going to be an enemy mine situation, considering how extreme the circumstances are.

[quote name='Vairocana' timestamp='1338666619' post='5951106']
COOLIO YOU WIZARD.
[/quote]
Hah, when I saw the water decoration and he used that to fight I got really disappointed, but once Korra taunted that he had no more water to bend it became pretty obvious he was going to do it.

With his level of bloodbending he probably [i]could[/i] crush someone's insides, but I wonder if there's something supernatural about his ability. I mean, he took control of an entire room full of people, including Aang, and his response to Korra's question indicated a backstory reason for his ability to bend without the moon. At any rate, the ending and the plot for this episode more than made up for the awkward CGI.

I'm fairly sure that wasn't Tarrlok in the flashback, he's not that old. My guess is that it's his father, or someone related.

Interesting to note that all the things happening with the Equalists is like what happened in America with the Red Scares and terrorists and stuff. Yay for remembering history class.

[quote name='King of Games' timestamp='1338674389' post='5951163']
I love all airbenders ever. Also Shiro announcing again. :D

I think the ep said pretty much what i was thinking : Tarlok is as bad as Amon.

It also seemed to imply the guy from flashbacks was a bloodbender.

And Asami gave that "im watching you" look to Korra and Mako.
[/quote]
As bad? AS BAD? He is WORSE!

But yeah... It wouldn't surprise me if Amon actually teamed up with Korra for a short time to take down Tarloc.

The episode gave me a new theory about who Amon actually is.

[spoiler=The theory could be.....]
That Amon can be the physical manifestation of Aang's spirit trapped on the Earth, yet he is still able to age his body. There has been an image going around the internet showing an incredibly aged airbending master behind the mask (I don't know what is the truth value of the image, but it seems pretty convincing). My guess is that Yukone could be an agent of a malevolent spirit from the Spirit World whose goal was to torture Avatar Aang so that the Avatar Spirit would be able to become weakened enough to be destroyed in the spirit world. However, this didn't work out so well. Instead, the spirit separated Aang and all of the highly associated elements (i.e. his Airbending, Energybending and his spirituality) away from the Avatar Spirit and had himself manifested under the influence of said spirit. The spirit is just merely trying to lure in the new Avatar, Korra, so that it is able to torment her and weaken her already damaged spiritual side. I found it unusual when Amon didn't take away Korra's bending when he had the chance to, other than the fact that it would cause a public outroar, because if he had, he would have eliminated the biggest threat to his plans. I believe that in order for the Avatar Spirit to remain incomplete, the current Avatar must have no hope. I recalled the first episode's ending where Amon stated that having the Avatar in Republic City would need his plans to be accelerated. The plan, of course, was to take away everyone's bending power. Since Korra saw what Amon was capable of doing, she fell into utter hopelessness with the constant fear that she could be next, until Amon told her he was saving her for last. The desired result would be to see Korra go into a deeper fear, witnessing every other bender's worst fear come true with nothing she can do. In Korra's case, I believe that simply debending wouldn't work on the Avatar. Amon must destroy Korra's spirit with his Energybending. However, this could backfire against him, and instead, have Amon absorbed into Korra, which would completely restore the Avatar Spirit. This was possibly the malevolent spirit's worst fear, as it would possibly recieve the greatest retribution from the Avatar Spirit in the form of banishment. Some evidence as to how the spirit was disturbed was that Korra prematurely learned Waterbending, Earthbending, and even Firebending at the age of four. This could have been due to the fact that the Avatar Spirit leaked out memories of past lives bending onto Korra. Yet, because the qualities of Aang were removed from the Avatar Spirit, Korra was unable to use Airbending and she doesn't seem to have a spiritual side. Notice how Amon moves like an Airbender (But doesn't Airbend to keep his alibi as a nonbender to his organization), has the heavily implied Energybending skill, and is implied to be able to make spiritual contact well. Those are all qualities Aang had that Korra doesn't. I also believe that because of how Amon stated his contact with the spirit in his speech, his memories could have been shattered, leaving behind the fragment to the Avatar Spirit. This could be why Korra recieves these short-term visions.

tl;dr

Korra lacks what Aang has (Airbending, Energybending and a Spiritual Side), yet Amon has most of Aang's qualities. Amon is Aang, brainwashed and crazy by a vengeful spirit and is using Aang for total conquest between the Mortal World and the Spiritual World.
[/spoiler]

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1338680451' post='5951230']Interesting to note that all the things happening with the Equalists is like what happened in America with the Red Scares and terrorists and stuff. Yay for remembering history class.[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that. Tarrlok is basically the secondary antagonist in this series at this point. The council members are pretty damn useless and serve no use other than to side with Tarrlok.

Except you saw Sokka as one of the bloodbending victims (the very first you see, iirc) of the guy who was on trial, who was bloodbending the entire room.

[url="http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120428153310/avatar/images/2/27/Older_Sokka.png"]Sokka[/url] looks nothing like the guy on trial (who I have no picture of).

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1338680451' post='5951230']
I'm fairly sure that wasn't Tarrlok in the flashback, he's not that old. My guess is that it's his father, or someone related.
[/quote]
Seeing it again, yeah, he's not nearly young enough there, since he was ~20 when Korra was born. Not very good at seeing the things in the flashbacks, but it's probably a relative of his and he's now seeking all this power and hates Tenzin, the avatar, Toph's daughter, etc. with that guy as his motivation [s]because a firebender killed him[/s].

[quote name='Shradow' timestamp='1338680451' post='5951230']Interesting to note that all the things happening with the Equalists is like what happened in America with the Red Scares and terrorists and stuff. Yay for remembering history class.
[/quote]
I think it's a common trend in history, McCarthy is just an iconic example.

Sure, let's say the same Firebender killed that guy, too. Why not.

I still can't get over this.
[quote name='Vairocana' timestamp='1337474191' post='5942917']OZAI GOT HIS FIREBENDING POWERS BACK AND HE'S JUST GOING AROUND BEING A HUGE DICK TO EVERYONE
[/quote]

Is it just me who really, REALLY hates the "Amon is Aang" theory? ("Amon is good-guy-X" and "Amon is character X from :TLA" also but to a lesser extent)

Part of me's been skeptical that Amon is really using energybending because when aang used it there quite the light show. But, if bloodbending can work somewhat differently, i can see energybending being different as well.

Archived