Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, random discussion time that's not just about the most recent chapter. What previous villain would you want to see make a return? Not including those that are still relevant, like Crocodile or Rob Lucci.

Honestly, I'd love to see Captain Kuro come back in some capacity. Dude was my favorite villain in the early days of One Piece, and still remains one of my favorites. I just like the smart, planning type of villains. And I've always thought he was pretty cool even if he's not the strong in the grand scheme of things nowadays, what with his best technique only being Soru just with no aim.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Arlong coming back at some point. That could be some good drama with Nami and Jinbe. Nami taking Arlong down in a 1v1 fight would be a great way to show how far she's come.

Otherwise, I'd want to see Moriah, which we probably will. We'll need to find out how he escaped Doflamingo and why the higher-ups wanted him dead.

He was to be killed because he was considered too weak to continue being a Shichibukai, a "You have failed me for the last time." sort of thing, and they were gonna use the war as the excuse for his death. But he is definitely alive.

And assuming Winter was talking about Enel, I could totally imagine him making a return. He's bound to get bored of being on the moon eventually, it's been over 2 years of him being up there. And while he may not be able to see into the future or anything, he still remains one of the most powerful Observation Haki users in the series by combining it with his DF. If he learned to use even the slightest bit of caution and temper his ego a little, and got the hang of moving his logia body to avoid haki/rubber attacks, he could be a force to be reckoned with again. Oda did say some time ago that if he were a wanted pirate his bounty would be as high as 500,000,000, which is what Luffy's is currently at. Obviously bounties aren't power levels, but it's a neat indicator.

Crocodile is a great example of a character getting another chance to shine. Back in Alabasta he lost to Luffy a lot because of plot armor, I feel, and no one would've thought that he was strong enough to fare how he did at Marineford going just off of that. Dude fought whoever he wanted, agent of chaos style, and came out of the whole thing almost unharmed.

A host of different characters could get a resurgence, it's not like the Straw Hats are the only ones who can get stronger.

I think whatever final arc One Piece will have, we'll get to see a huge amount of returning cast members come back and shine, including the villains. I think it'd be fun to see Enel interact with the current One Piece landscape since I could also see him getting bored of the moon after a while. Though I have no idea what Oda would use him for.

That's right, then in that case, Moriah will definitely resurface at some point. I'm wondering if he'd be of interest to a Yonko, he'd be able to boost their armies with further numbers.

I want to know what Crocodile and Bones have been up to. We know Mr. 3 is with Buggy's crew, I want Mr. 2/Bentham to come back also, then the main Baroque Works guys will have become recurring characters throughout the whole damn thing.

[spoiler=Chapter 888]I'm glad that Perospero mentioned Big Mom slimming down, otherwise I wouldn't have been sure if it was just my imagination or not.

And dammit, Oda, don't do this to me, I'm not into furries (I think). Carrot was adorable before but now...

2dd.jpg

Also she's kickass. I dunno if anyone's joining the crew permanently aside from Jinbei, but I would not be against Carrot as well. She's really grown on me.

[spoiler=Chapter 888]

Damn, what a blast! Carrot became so gorgeous. At first I feared she would turn feral in that form, but once she took the wheel, it should be safe to say she is on her senses. Amazing. The girl next to Smoothie caught my attention, too xD

Good call by whoever pointed out Carrot mentioning the full moon, although I guess it was something we could see coming; one doesn't note the moon just because.

Also I found funny how Chopper implied to resort to what I suggested a while ago: going Monster form.

[spoiler=Chapter 888]

Good call by whoever pointed out Carrot mentioning the full moon, although I guess it was something we could see coming; one doesn't note the moon just because.

I pointed it out, but her saying it was mostly just a reminder. It was brought up back on Zou, it was said that the minks wouldn't have lost to Jack had he attacked on a full moon.

So, random discussion time that's not just about the most recent chapter. What previous villain would you want to see make a return? Not including those that are still relevant, like Crocodile or Rob Lucci.

Honestly, I'd love to see Captain Kuro come back in some capacity. Dude was my favorite villain in the early days of One Piece, and still remains one of my favorites. I just like the smart, planning type of villains. And I've always thought he was pretty cool even if he's not the strong in the grand scheme of things nowadays, what with his best technique only being Soru just with no aim.

Gave some though to this but I cannot think of any villain that wasn't put on standby or doesn't already have chances of coming back. Heck, Oda has even brought Wapol back for the Reverie arc. I can only think of Bellamy, but this time as a good guy now that his idol has been defeated. I would say Perona too, but most likely she is coming back eventually, possibly along Mihawk.

[spoiler=888 and Carrot]

That was cool to see Carrot transform and start kicking ass.

Honestly, I think she's a great Straw Hat candidate on paper. She's inhuman, got a cool unique power with electricity, she'd be one more girl (I feel like it's been an unspoken assumption that one more girl would join the crew after Robin) and she can hop great distances. 

Like how Jinbe's being set up to be the Helmsman for his official crew role, I could see Carrot being a scout of some sort.

The one drawback is I think she's basically going to be the Rebecca for this arc. Definitely more of an interesting character, but we'd need to see Oda do a back-story on her. If she does end up getting one, then that's a better indication in her favor. If not, I can definitely see her at least teaming up with them for the Wano arc. I don't think she can return to Zou easily now and I'm betting the crew's heading straight there first anyways.

Also wondering if we'll see a skinny fit Big Mom before the cake comes out.

YAY catching up. Various thoughts.

I find it amazing just how important Brulee ended up being. Had you told me at her introduction she would be the one of the single most important characters I'd have laughed at you. Her families reaction to her being kidnapped again was also pretty great.

I do like Sanji getting to show off. He really hasn't gotten to do much since the time skip. His fight on Fishmen Island was a tag team with Jinbe and then his major fights after that were with Vergo and Mingo which were a bit out of his league. He might not get a proper fight this arc, but he has been badass throughout and his cooking being the thing that saves the day is really just perfect. Pudding's reaction to how badass he is have also been great. Also love how adorable she looked at the end of 887.

I love Luffy vs. Katakuri. Luffy's reason for wanting to fight him is great and his reaction when Luffy returned was also perfect.

Its amazing how much different Big Mom looks. Even when they were zoomed out she looked noticeably different.

I don't think Carrot is going to join the crew but she will be around for a while, similar to Vivi. We know the next place the SH go will be Wano and since the Minks are joining in on the fight there she will also be involved. She was seriously badass this chapter too.

Poor Pound :(. Again had you told me I'd be feeling serious emotions over him when he was introduced I'd have laughed. His final line and that page in general hit hard. It is nice to see Bege really does care about his family. Though I guess that is a mob trope.

The face cannon balls are creepy.

I wonder how much easier this arc would be if Zoro was there.

Maybe a little easier, like he'd help Luffy fight Big Mom's army when they came, but they'd probably still be overwhelmed. Maybe he could have helped Luffy with Cracker, but I think he legit would have been constantly lost in the Lost Woods until like a day later after that fight ended. Hell, maybe he would have stayed lost in there past the dramatic conflict with Sanji too and would have been a wild card after Luffy and Nami got captured. He probably would have run into Jinbe's group for plot's sake to help bust them out. With the attempted assassination, maybe he'd take down an office or two before heading out.

I'd need to reread the arc though, I'm going off from the top of my head with this train of thought.

Now I feel a bit bad about Pedro. I mean, had they stalled enough for the full moon, Carrot and he could have gone feral mode and he most likely wouldn't have resorted to that stunt.

I'm wondering if he's still alive, which is entirely possible since this is One Piece. However, if OP wanted to start making things darker and more consequential, Pedro staying dead would be a good way to start transitioning into that. And it'd give more weight towards screwing with a Yonko.

• 3 weeks later...

So chapters 889 and 890 are out. Dear god these chapters were spectacular. Brook and Jimbie continue to be MVPs and Nami, who has also quietly been badass this whole arc too in reflection, got to show off. Just outstanding. Can't wait to see this arcs end. Easily the strongest post-time skip arc and I'd say one of the strongest in the series.

I have to second that, this arc's been so great and it's wrapping up with a huge bang.

The Straw Hats have been doing so much cool sheet in their escape, especially last chapter where they're getting the better of Big Mom. We always get the best fights when the crew works together.

I think 900 will be either Luffy defeating Dogtooth or the actual last chapter of the arc (forgot if I said that before).

900 is VERY likely to be the end of the arc/start of the new one. We also have the volume covers that hint at this too. The most recent covers the 870s and the cover is of Big Mom and her major crew members, no Luffy. The other 3 times this happened the following volume had the SHs and their allies, and the one after that was the last volume with stuff from that arc.

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 891]

Finally Chopper did what I suggested back then: turn into monster form. And seems the ship can support it, but can't tell if barely. Luffy learning future vision Haki, huh. Not really excited about that decision, makes it look too conveniently easy for him to start learning it in the middle of combat. Granted, critical situations are often effective for learning new skills in short times but still, can't shrug off this "deus-ex-machina" vibe.

And glad to see the cake is on range.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=893]I've always really enjoyed him as an antagonist, but I super respect Katakuri now, that was awesome (and there wasn't a focus on it but I appreciate the little look into his past, seems like he has no friends). I'm glad there's no break next week, this fistfight should be epic. sheet's about to get real hard boiled up in here.

Forget Pudding, forget Carrot, can we get Katakuri as the next member?

Archived